What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

Should Ticketmaster, airlines, and other entities be able to ban people who do not get the vaccine from using their services?
Id say no. Once a vaccine is readily available those who choose to get it to protect themselves should get it and those who choose not to risk it would still live with the risk. Everyone is happy. 

Should Ticketmaster, airlines, and other entities be able to ban people who do not get the vaccine from using their services?
Not necessarily. People should be required to show proof of vaccine or else submit a clean test (on their own dime) every time they want to use  one of those services. Up to them which they choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the business might be liable for damages in a lawsuit with an infection at one of their events, then they certainly could require it.  

I think I started following this guy because of this thread but a fun read on the next few weeks/months and what we have to look forward to if we don't get this virus under control. You smart fellas can comment on the validity of his claims.

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding
Havent clicked the link but i know who that is. He is not well liked by many of his peers. He posts a lot of unverified stuff and he definitely loves dramatic flare. I dont follow him, but see his stuff often. He has a ton of followers though and gets at least some good info out there so he isnt all bad. 

I had asked this week about convalescent plasma therapy... I ran across this this morning, so thought I'd share:

Early High-Titer Plasma Therapy to Prevent Severe Covid-19 in Older Adults (N.E.J.M.)

tl;dr = Convalescent plasma: a rare win, if you squint hard enough.

summary of above link:

Prior trials of convalescent plasma in patients hospitalized with severe covid-19 have fallen short of expectations. Many have argued that the benefit to this therapy is in preventing severe covid-19 and that patients in these trials received the plasma too late in their course for any difference to be seen. Now, in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers report on a trial in which 160 patients over the age of 65 with mild covid-19 symptoms less than 72 hours in duration were randomized to receive either convalescent plasma (from donors who recovered from covid-19) or a saline placebo. The average age of the patients in the study was approximately 77 years age, and subjects reported around a day and a half of symptoms. Measured viral loads of SARS-CoV-2 were high on average and 81 percent had at least one medical comorbidity. 

Overall, 16 percent of patients with received convalescent plasma had severe respiratory disease by day 15 compared with 31 percent of patients who received the placebo. This translates to nearly half the risk of disease progression. Unfortunately, the trial was stopped early due to a decreasing number of cases in the locales where the study was carried out (Argentina). Thus, the results could be turn out to be more or less impressive in larger trials. Additionally, the trial was too small to detect differences in specific outcomes such as death or the need for invasive or noninvasive mechanical ventilation; however, the numbers favored the convalescent plasma group in all of these end points.

One reason why this trial may have succeeded where others have not is that the investigators specifically used plasma with high concentrations (or “titers”) of antibodies. Some previous trials did not control for that, meaning some donor plasma was stronger than others. In addition, other trials had younger adults with longer bouts of symptoms. The signs of benefit in this trial are therefore relatively narrow; older patients who are very early in their disease course.

This study provides some hope for convalescent plasma, yet it is important to recognize that the patients in this study were a very small cross-section of those with covid-19. The results very well may not be generalizable to younger people, those without comorbidities, patients with vital sign abnormalities, severe symptoms, or more than 2 days of symptoms. 

Terminalxylem said:
Just got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. The first was no big deal, but I’ll report back in a day or so.
Glad to hear! We are on the road to recovery, still getting worse, can't wait for the current trends to reverse course.

E-Z Glider said:
jplvr said:
Not necessarily. People should be required to show proof of vaccine or else submit a clean test (on their own dime) every time they want to use  one of those services. Up to them which they choose.
To get a visa, many of the countries that still accept US tourists require this.

E-Z Glider said:
:goodposting:   We’re coming up on a very slippery slope with this vaccine and societies ability to screen out a certain portion of the population for not getting it. I think everyone should but I also get the freedom of choice so we have to have another way to include those that chose to opt out in day-to-day activities or you’re going to disenfranchise a whole helluva lot of people.

E-Z Glider said:
:goodposting:   We’re coming up on a very slippery slope with this vaccine and societies ability to screen out a certain portion of the population for not getting it. I think everyone should but I also get the freedom of choice so we have to have another way to include those that chose to opt out in day-to-day activities or you’re going to disenfranchise a whole helluva lot of people.
This is where a free market system comes into play, no matter what decision a private business makes they are "going to disenfranchise a whole helluva lot of people." Some businesses are going to pick a side based on the beliefs of management and some businesses are going to adopt policies that are most beneficial to the bottom line. The later is going to have some tough decisions trying to figure out how to do that. As with all things concerning this virus their strategy and policies will need to be adaptive. My true hope is that we can get this virus under control before the next election cycle.

A small, non peer-reviewed study (unable to provide link) suggests Pfizer vaccine-induced antibodies able to bind at least one of the key mutated regions of both the UK and S African strains:

Rapidly spreading variants of SARS-CoV-2 that have arisen in the United Kingdom and South Africa share the spike N501Y substitution, which is of particular concern because it is located in the viral receptor binding site for cell entry and increases binding to the receptor (angiotensin converting enzyme 2). We generated isogenic N501 and Y501 SARS-CoV-2. Sera of 20 participants in a previously reported trial of the mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccine BNT162b2 had equivalent neutralizing titers to the N501 and Y501 viruses.
Granted, this is just one of several mutated regions, so it may not predict the overall immune response to the entire spike protein of mutant viruses. But it is encouraging nonetheless.

A small, non peer-reviewed study (unable to provide link) suggests Pfizer vaccine-induced antibodies able to bind at least one of the key mutated regions of both the UK and S African strains:

Granted, this is just one of several mutated regions, so it may not predict the overall immune response to the entire spike protein of mutant viruses. But it is encouraging nonetheless.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing! 

Study shows immunity is still strong in 90% of recovered patients after 8 months: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/533315-study-shows-coronavirus-immunity-still-strong-in-previously-infected-after

This is another strong argument that previously infected people should wait to get the vaccine, perhaps except for direct caregivers. 
They say you should wait 3 months after testing positive to get the vaccine.

If they would require vaccines for people to do certain things, they would have to accommodate those that already had the virus too. Having now tested positive, it definitely changes my thinking about possibly getting a vaccine.

Speaking of flying, maybe someone here knows. Not sure how to handle this.

You can still test positive long after recovery with no chance of spreading the virus anymore. Apparently, weeks or months after. NY State requires that you take a test within 3 days of coming back to the state, and again after 4 days back in NY to avoid the 14 day quarantine.  They don't actually ask you if you are positive but could there be any legal issues if we fly after getting a positive test result even though we can no longer infect others?

You can still test positive long after recovery with no chance of spreading the virus anymore. Apparently, weeks or months after. NY State requires that you take a test within 3 days of coming back to the state, and again after 4 days back in NY to avoid the 14 day quarantine.  They don't actually ask you if you are positive but could there be any legal issues if we fly after getting a positive test result even though we can no longer infect others?
I definitely would NOT get tested NOR would I quarantine if you are past the 10 day CDC guidelines.

I definitely would NOT get tested NOR would I quarantine if you are past the 10 day CDC guidelines.
The last time we flew back into NY, the National Guard was at the gate making sure everyone filled out the entry form stating they would quarantine. After that, I had multiple texts and calls reminding me. I'm not seeing any exemptions for those that have been vaccinated or had the virus in the past. If I have to quarantine, I'll do it. I'm just more concerned about any repercussions from taking a flight after testing positive even if it will be weeks after I've cleared CDC protocols and no longer capable of spreading the virus.

The last time we flew back into NY, the National Guard was at the gate making sure everyone filled out the entry form stating they would quarantine. After that, I had multiple texts and calls reminding me. I'm not seeing any exemptions for those that have been vaccinated or had the virus in the past. If I have to quarantine, I'll do it. I'm just more concerned about any repercussions from taking a flight after testing positive even if it will be weeks after I've cleared CDC protocols and no longer capable of spreading the virus.
My father flies back and forth to Florida all the time and never fills it out.

My father flies back and forth to Florida all the time and never fills it out.
I'm sure it's not for every flight but last time, you couldn't leave until you either filled out the form or showed on your phone that you did it electronically. They had about a dozen National Guardsman blocking anyone from passing without it.

I'm sure it's not for every flight but last time, you couldn't leave until you either filled out the form or showed on your phone that you did it electronically. They had about a dozen National Guardsman blocking anyone from passing without it.
Do they confirm the info is real?

Do they confirm the info is real?
No, but I'm not gonna lie on the form. Besides, I'll probably fill it out electronically before we go so I don't have to sit there and fill it out after a long flight. Those that did just showed their phone and moved on while us suckers had to sit there filling out a form after a long flight.

It's not really about filling it out or even having to quarantine. I just don't know if I can legally fly while positive even if I can't spread. If you can show positive for weeks or months later, what are people supposed to do?

A couple was recently arrested and charged for reckless endangerment for boarding a flight to Hawaii after receiving a positive test.  They were also banned from United Airlines.

Does this cover 501.v2 also? 

A couple was recently arrested and charged for reckless endangerment for boarding a flight to Hawaii after receiving a positive test.  They were also banned from United Airlines.
I saw that earlier today while looking for info. 

I'm just hoping that by time we leave at the end of January, we'll be negative.

Yeah, I don't think that there is a workaround for people that continue to test positive weeks or months later.   Maybe fly to an adjacent state with less strict rules and drive from there.

I think you are opening a huge can of worms to get tested. The CDC does not recommend getting tested after the 10 day quarantine period.

This isn't true
I just flew to Alaska last week.   You cannot enter the state without a negative covid test unless you quarantine for 14 days.     Colorado, Hawaii, Chicago (but not all of Illinois), Maine, Maryland, Rhode Island and Vermont all require either a mandatory quarantine or a negative covid test.

I just flew to Alaska last week.   You cannot enter the state without a negative covid test unless you quarantine for 14 days.     Colorado, Hawaii, Chicago (but not all of Illinois), Maine, Maryland, Rhode Island and Vermont all require either a mandatory quarantine or a negative covid test.
MA and PA too. 

The day I was checking out of my hotel in Alaska (Fairbanks), the National Guard was setting up shop in the lobby because the hotel was going to be used as a mandatory quarantine location.   They were talking about how it was going to work.  No using the spa, gym, etc.   They could get food delivered and they could access the common areas, but they weren't allowed out of the hotel.  

I thought you meant before 72 hours of departure

I thought you meant before 72 hours of departure
The required test must be taken within 72 hours of your departure time for each of the states I listed, plus the two parasauropholos listed.   Different states do it differently.   Hawaii keeps changing, but for some time they would not let you on the plane without proof of a test.   Alaska will let you fly in, but when you get to the airport if you don't have a test they will take one right there, and you have to quarantine until you get the results.   If you don't take a test you have to quarantine for 14 days.  

Terminalxylem said:
Just got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. The first was no big deal, but I’ll report back in a day or so.
I just signed up for an appointment on Monday for the vaccine. Anything I need to know

I just signed up for an appointment on Monday for the vaccine. Anything I need to know
Don't be late, the vaccine comes 10 to a vial, must be mixed with another solution and any unused vaccine must be discarded after 4 hours of being mixed. Congrats!

The actual shot wasn’t much different than any other vaccine. You’ll review and sign some paperwork about vaccine-related adverse events, and receive a card with the date you are vaccinated.

Since some people tolerate it less well than others, you may want to take the day off after vaccination. 

Received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine Thursday morning. Side effects were typical. Received at 1030 am and at around midnight started feeling really cold. That night had chills and a low grade fever of 100-101. Restless sleep and just an unwell feeling. But other than being tired the effects went away as quickly as they arrived. When I got up that morning my temp was back down to 97.X and went to work. 

The reactions to the second Pfizer shot is definitely stronger than the first as advertised. My wife and her coworkers had no reactions I heard of the first time around. They were getting their second shots last week. My wife had her second shot Tursday and developed a bruise under the skin of her index finger on the same side as both injections, left. She experienced a little more arm soreness the second time as did most of her coworkers some experienced a lot more soreness and difficulty raising their arm. One person has a red ring around the injection site that is warm to the touch. With the flu shot some people say they've gotten the flu from it, actually it's just the body reacting similar to getting the flu ie raising body temperature. Some coworkers are experiencing fever, light headedness, elevated pulse rate one person was at 147 beats per minute, lowered O2 readings the same person at 147bpm usually is in the normal range was at 94, nausea is common, also common is body aches one person described it as feeling as if he had fallen off a cliff and had been chewed up by wolves. At least 2 coworkers were unable to finish their shift. Most of the reactions were hitting people 50 and under. There is a good percentage of coworkers nearing retirement age that are in their 50s and early 60s. The more intense reactions are probably representative of the increased protection the second shot provides. Again this is the Pfizer vaccine.

My wife isn't sure how many coworkers have received their second shot or how many she has in total.

All this info will not prevent me from getting vaccinated when I can.

Do they tell you which vaccine you will get? Is one better than the other?
Yes. Not really.
The only difference I'm aware of is the Moderna offers better protection 10 days after the first vaccination than the Pfizer vaccine, but both are in the upper 90s after the second shot. The Pfizer vaccine is given 3 weeks apart and the Moderna is given 4 weeks apart.

The only difference I'm aware of is the Moderna offers better protection 10 days after the first vaccination than the Pfizer vaccine, but both are in the upper 90s after the second shot. The Pfizer vaccine is given 3 weeks apart and the Moderna is given 4 weeks apart.
The storage and holding temps are the bigger difference.  I wonder if the Pfizer vaccine could also be effective when stored and mixed at the Moderna vax temps.

Users who are viewing this thread