Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

29 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Absent pain, rapid expansion of the bruise or other new symptoms, she'll probably be OK. That being said, if she can't recall any trauma or other direct precipitant for the bruised area, I'd probably ask her PCP to check some bloodwork - CBC and coagulation parameters (PT/PTT).

I don't wan't to alarm anyone, but the middle aged doctor who died reportedly had a rash and low blood counts a few days after vaccination, and low platelets are one cause of unexplained bruising. It's also possible she has a fixed drug eruption or blood vessel inflammation related to the vaccine, but all are extremely unlikely.

Thank you! The bruising looks lighter today. Her yearly checkup is in February. Is that too long to wait to talk to her PCP? She can't recall any trauma to her finger.

Edited by Dezbelief
  • Replies 52.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

On 1/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, culdeus said:

Thanks for sending that. I forwarded it to my dad since he is scheduled to get his vaccine tomorrow. Never know what a guy in his mid-70's may do...

11 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Helps explaining the explosive growth in infections and deaths I guess. But I'd prefer to not see any FBGs on TV being interviewed from their hospital beds pleading for people to take it seriously as they struggle for life because they didn't.

Yep. Basically we're accepting 5-10+ fold more deaths than necessary due to a combination of ignorance, impatience and selfishness.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Dezbelief said:

Thank you! The bruising looks lighter today. Her yearly checkup is in February. Is that too long to wait to talk to her PCP? She can't recall any trauma to her finger.

Good question. Playing the odds, it's extremely unlikely she's having a severe reaction, but if she's getting bloodwork in Feb anyway I might nudge her PCP to get it done early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Less than 1000 people have tested positive for flu out of about 400k tests performed so far for US flu season. 

Wasn't that expected? I remember reading this past spring/summer because of the severe lockdowns in Australia/South America and the suppressed travel that the flu season here would be incredibly muted since it travels via south the equator in their winter. 

Just now, EZD222 said:

Wasn't that expected? I remember reading this past spring/summer because of the severe lockdowns in Australia/South America and the suppressed travel that the flu season here would be incredibly muted since it travels via south the equator in their winter. 

There is no way they anticipated numbers this low. Dont you remember all the fears of the flu and covid at the same time hitting? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

There is no way they anticipated numbers this low. Dont you remember all the fears of the flu and covid at the same time hitting? 

I agree the numbers are low, but I specifically remember listening to a Daily/NY Times podcast where they had their resident epidemiologist on explaining that we'd have an extremely light flu season. So I guess I was never in the camp that we'd have a double surge (more driven by media I guess). 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:
1 hour ago, EZD222 said:

Both of you guys are right. Way back then there was so much unknown about the pandemic and its effects, almost like right now.

54 minutes ago, EZD222 said:

Yes, the flu numbers in the southern hemisphere this past summer (their winter) were incredibly low. IIRC, it was down like 83% from years past due to masks, social distancing, lockdowns.

Here, our flu and RSV numbers are virtually non existent.

• Like 1
Just now, gianmarco said:

Yes, the flu numbers in the southern hemisphere this past summer (their winter) were incredibly low. IIRC, it was down like 83% from years past due to masks, social distancing, lockdowns.

Here, our flu and RSV numbers are virtually non existent.

The flu map this year is all green with one yellow somewhere in the midwest I believe. Last season was almost all red. It will be interesting to see how the flu map looks next season. 

8 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

I thought they adjusted their concerns once they saw the other areas of the world experiencing less flu during their flu seasons.  I'm pretty sure I read a Science article on it.  There were plenty of fears early on about this and they seemed completely logical at the time.

12 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Absent pain, rapid expansion of the bruise or other new symptoms, she'll probably be OK. That being said, if she can't recall any trauma or other direct precipitant for the bruised area, I'd probably ask her PCP to check some bloodwork - CBC and coagulation parameters (PT/PTT).

I don't wan't to alarm anyone, but the middle aged doctor who died reportedly had a rash and low blood counts a few days after vaccination, and low platelets are one cause of unexplained bruising. It's also possible she has a fixed drug eruption or blood vessel inflammation related to the vaccine, but all are extremely unlikely.

Let's be honest.... if you inject millions of people with ANYTHING, you're going to have some complications. 

Absent a surge in similar instances this doesn't alarm me at all. 

There is some quality irony in the "just a flu" Types now citing low Flu numbers as some sort of bizarre proof that COVID isn't real.

19 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I thought they adjusted their concerns once they saw the other areas of the world experiencing less flu during their flu seasons.  I'm pretty sure I read a Science article on it.  There were plenty of fears early on about this and they seemed completely logical at the time.

The positivity rate for tests is 1/150th of the 5 year average. 

I find that to be amazing. Did they nail the flu shot? Why arent rates higher where there is in person schooling? Do masks work far better for flu than previously thought? Does covid provide some cross protection? Will it just take longer to develop? Did people get the flu shot earlier than normal?  

I would love to see any article where such a crazy drop was predicted. I would add that doctor to the list I follow. I mostly read pretty broad statements often with caveats pointing out that the southern hemisphere countries have less international access than us. 

Or people like William Schaffner still predicting a double barrel attack at the end of October. 

42 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Let's be honest.... if you inject millions of people with ANYTHING, you're going to have some complications. 

Also if you inject millions of people, you will have events that will happen to them that would have happened anyway and will happen within days of getting the vaccine. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I find that to be amazing. Did they nail the flu shot? Why arent rates higher where there is in person schooling? Do masks work far better for flu than previously thought? Does covid provide some cross protection? Will it just take longer to develop? Did people get the flu shot earlier than normal?  

I would love to see any article where such a crazy drop was predicted. I would add that doctor to the list I follow. I mostly read pretty broad statements often with caveats pointing out that the southern hemisphere countries have less international access than us. 

Or people like William Schaffner still predicting a double barrel attack at the end of October. 

I read something about more people than ever getting the flu shot this year.

If masks make such a difference in flu transmission, I wonder if people would be interested or willing to do masks during flu season moving forward to help essentially eliminate flu transmission.  While obviously not as dangerous as Covid, it still leads to huge amounts of lost work and wages along with increased medical visits and costs.  Is wearing a mask like we are now for a few months worth that? 

I would think so but I don't think everyone would agree.

13 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

:shrug:  Can't answer any of this other than to say, it's reasonable to believe that isolation in those areas contributed in some way. Masks probably did too.  I'm sure a couple of your questions can be answered with time like what they picked to put in the cocktail this year, timing of shots etc.  I don't know that anyone predicted a crazy drop....I wouldn't have.  I would have expected SOME drop though given the well documented way flu spreads.  You stop creating those environments and it makes it hard for the flu to spread.   

16 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

If masks make such a difference in flu transmission, I wonder if people would be interested or willing to do masks during flu season moving forward to help essentially eliminate flu transmission.  While obviously not as dangerous as Covid, it still leads to huge amounts of lost work and wages along with increased medical visits and costs.  Is wearing a mask like we are now for a few months worth that? 

For now on I will probably always wear some kind of mask while inside and in a place people stroll by, like a mall or grocery store. I won’t outside at like a football game or a theme park but then maybe when I have to go into the bathroom or whatever. 

12 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Yep. Basically we're accepting 5-10+ fold more deaths than necessary due to a combination of ignorance, impatience and selfishness.

I just don't understand it. People screamed for a vaccine, there wasn't enough emphasis on, we were going too slow...by a herculean will not to be denied, doctors & researchers produce a safe vaccine in record time and the very populace screaming for said vaccine and a path back to normalcy refuse to take it.

To any of you that read this and won't be getting the vaccine, I respect your decision but get out of the way. I don't have time for your nonsense any longer. The US also needs to immediately revamp whatever jacked up distribution plan they had because it's failed. Adopt the Israeli plan, come up with your own, I don't care but change it immediately. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Of course. They’re still investigating the death, but even if proven vaccine-related, the numbers favor vaccination.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I just said this to my wife last night...and the answer is, no, at least for the bulk of the population in this country.

9 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

I just don't understand it. People screamed for a vaccine, there wasn't enough emphasis on, we were going too slow...by a herculean will not to be denied, doctors & researchers produce a safe vaccine in record time and the very populace screaming for said vaccine and a path back to normalcy refuse to take it.

To any of you that read this and won't be getting the vaccine, I respect your decision but get out of the way. I don't have time for your nonsense any longer. The US also needs to immediately revamp whatever jacked up distribution plan they had because it's failed. Adopt the Israeli plan, come up with your own, I don't care but change it immediately. 

I think we're going to very quickly see a change in the public narrative from "I wont take it" to "I want it now and deserve it more than others ahead of me". Especially if/when they start allowing privileges (travel, events, etc) to those that have it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I just said this to my wife last night...and the answer is, no, at least for the bulk of the population in this country.

No, we've demonstrated that it would be an act of the good Lord above to get people on board with wearing a mask every year. The one thing I think this has done is reduce the stigma of wearing a mask in public so maybe more people will willing adopt the practice. I hope anyhow.

We're a nation full of idiots.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Capella said:

For now on I will probably always wear some kind of mask while inside and in a place people stroll by, like a mall or grocery store. I won’t outside at like a football game or a theme park but then maybe when I have to go into the bathroom or whatever. 

Good for you.  I will probably do the same.

I think if we all continue to just practice this kind of awareness, wash hands regularly, and most importantly, just stay home when you're sick instead of going into work or going out anyway, we will significantly reduce the transmission of flu and even common colds. 

The populace at large has always lacked the awareness of those things (hand washing, stay away when sick).  Even without much mask usage, I hope these new habits remain and help keep us healthier moving forward.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

I think if we all continue to just practice this kind of awareness, wash hands regularly, and most importantly, just stay home when you're sick instead of going into work or going out anyway, we will significantly reduce the transmission of flu and even common colds. 

The populace at large has always lacked the awareness of those things (hand washing, stay away when sick).  Even without much mask usage, I hope these new habits remain and help keep us healthier moving forward.

Yeah I don't see mask wearing ever taking hold once COVID is behind us, but agree with you. I think/hope some of the awareness of how we're able to mitigate transmission with good hygiene practices might stick around for a not insignificant number of us.

I am sure it's been talked about in here, but I also think remote working is going to make a lasting impact also. Our company is already selling some large buildings and relocating folks and offering permanent WFH as an option. They see we can run the biz from home and see the $$ savings.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The Commish said:

:shrug:  Can't answer any of this other than to say, it's reasonable to believe that isolation in those areas contributed in some way. Masks probably did too.  I'm sure a couple of your questions can be answered with time like what they picked to put in the cocktail this year, timing of shots etc.  I don't know that anyone predicted a crazy drop....I wouldn't have.  I would have expected SOME drop though given the well documented way flu spreads.  You stop creating those environments and it makes it hard for the flu to spread.   

But can isolating and NPIs be the explanation in the flu disappearing while Covid numbers are through the roof?  Those two facts seem to be in contradiction with each other.  I thought the flu vaccine was typically about 70% effective - was it somehow crazy good this year?  Or is something else going on?  I'm not proposing to know what that "something else" is - just think it's an interesting question.

23 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

But can isolating and NPIs be the explanation in the flu disappearing while Covid numbers are through the roof?  Those two facts seem to be in contradiction with each other.  I thought the flu vaccine was typically about 70% effective - was it somehow crazy good this year?  Or is something else going on?  I'm not proposing to know what that "something else" is - just think it's an interesting question.

Theres a meme on social media that says "flu numbers are down because people are wearing masks but covid numbers keep rising because people aren't wearing masks". Its one of the few memes thats hard to explain. 

24 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Yeah...it'll be interesting to see what the connection is...will probably take a while, but worth the look.  We do know that they transmit differently and that Covid seems to be more contagious.  

I'll probably wear a mask when I go to the doctor and probably on some public transportation like the NYC subway or in an Uber but I doubt I'll wear it in too many other places once this is over.

53 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Any kind of indoor crowd situation I will definitely be wearing a mask during flu season going forward. Was always a sanitizing freak (at least compared to most) so I dont see that going away. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jamny said:

I'll probably wear a mask when I go to the doctor and probably on some public transportation like the NYC subway or in an Uber but I doubt I'll wear it in too many other places once this is over.

Would literally never get on mass public transport without a mask again. To be honest it’s kind of shocking it took this long. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Would literally never get on mass public transport without a mask again. To be honest it’s kind of shocking it too this long. 

I think you say that now, and I agree, but in 5-10 years when this is a distant memory most people will be back to life before the virus. At the very least, we are a bit more prepared if this were to happen again.

Now that health care workers have been vaccinated (the ones who wanted it), they should just roll out the vaccine to everyone. Enough of all these rules and bureaucracy. Everyone should have to register in a statewide database and there should be an algorithm that determines what spot in the line you are on based on profession and age. Then you would know approximately what date you can take the vaccine and as that date gets closer can track it and where you can get it. They overcomplicated this whole thing.

6 minutes ago, jamny said:

I think you say that now, and I agree, but in 5-10 years when this is a distant memory most people will be back to life before the virus. At the very least, we are a bit more prepared if this were to happen again.

Maybe, we’ll see, but this isn’t going to be the kind of thing I forget. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Now that health care workers have been vaccinated (the ones who wanted it), they should just roll out the vaccine to everyone. Enough of all these rules and bureaucracy. Everyone should have to register in a statewide database and there should be an algorithm that determines what spot in the line you are on based on profession and age. Then you would know approximately what date you can take the vaccine and as that date gets closer can track it and where you can get it. They overcomplicated this whole thing.

You are saying two different things here, unless i am reading wrong.

3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

At work (as an RN with direct patient care) We are given currently given 2 options: get the flu shot or wear a mask throughout flu season, September to April. This has obviously gone out the window with COVID, but I see the aftermath as masks becoming mandatory for all direct patient contact, especially during flu season. 

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

There is some quality irony in the "just a flu" Types now citing low Flu numbers as some sort of bizarre proof that COVID isn't real.

Yep. Click on any COVID news link and you are guaranteed to see the "I'm an ER nurse and there's no flu this year bc it's all being counted as COVID bc the hospital gets paid more!!111!!!~" :wall: 

Edited by Nathan R. Jessep
correcting an auto-correct DOH
5 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I'd pay $5 yearly for you to cover your face in public.

On a serious note - I would be willing to wear one during winter each year (within reason).

2 hours ago, 3 hour lunch said:

If Biden’s plan is 100 million doses in 100 days and they are now saying that’s probably a stretch, us low priority people aren’t getting vaccinated until like July, right?

This week we had a couple of days in the 700,000 to 900,000 vaccines adminstered range.  I think we will be at the 1,000,000 daily mark in a week or two based on current trajectory.

1/5 400,000+

1/6 800,000+

1/7 800,000+

1/8 900,000+

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jamny said:

I'm going to have like 100 non-disposable masks after this is all said and done - might as well put them to use.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, worrierking said:

This week we had a couple of days in the 700,000 to 900,000 vaccines adminstered range.  I think we will be at the 1,000,000 daily mark in a week or two based on current trajectory.

1/5 400,000+

1/6 800,000+

1/7 800,000+

1/8 900,000+

I'm not sure what was expected but this is great news - as I said previously, anybody getting vaccinated at this point puts us closer to "normal" and that makes me happy.

23 minutes ago, worrierking said:

1/5 400,000+

1/6 800,000+

1/7 800,000+

1/8 900,000+

Looks like I made a mistake.

1/8 is 600,000

1/9 is 300,000

I accidentally combined them.    It's still encouraging. Numbers are from Bloomberg's Vaccine Tracker.

OurWorldinData is showing that we went from 4.56 million total vaccines administered on January 4, to 8.99 Million total January 11.  That 4.43 million vaccines in a week. an average of 651,000 per day and generally increasing.

Edited by worrierking
spelling error
3 hours ago, 3 hour lunch said:

If Biden’s plan is 100 million doses in 100 days and they are now saying that’s probably a stretch, us low priority people aren’t getting vaccinated until like July, right?

I would expect this is the ramp up with a new administration in place. 100 days takes us till April, I would hope after that the logistics of it have been settled and it’s a smooth process. Original projections made it sound like most low priority people shouldn’t have expected it before May-June so I’m not sure that’s changed personally. 

• Laughing 1
4 hours ago, jamny said:

We may be a bit more prepared next time, but the biggest issue is still going to be our unwillingness to do what it takes.