What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Gabriel Davis, JAC (1 Viewer)

Zyphros

Footballguy
Looks like the best pure size/speed combo guy in this draft. Coming in at WR8 for me currently.

Level of competition might be a concern but he's 6'3 212 with speed, quickness and great high point ability.

Highlight reel - 2019

Probably more of a sleeper that can be found in the 3rd round of rookie drafts. Unless his combine/draft stock is big, which it very well could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched him last week and wondered why he was not getting more buzz but then I saw Matt Miller had him ranked as #39 overall  so not so sure he's going to remain a sleeper so much as fantasy people are just sleeping on him early in the process.

I'd also add that Gandy-Golden is getting a lot more buzz as a sleeper. I like Gandy-Golden but I watched highlight video's on both of him and Davis the same night last week and I was more impressed with Davis.  That's when I started wondering why he had no buzz, checked around and saw Miller had him ranked fairly high.

Last edited by a moderator:
UCF WR Gabriel Davis merits Day 2 consideration in this spring's NFL Draft according to Dane Brugler of The Athletic.

Davis (6'3/212) announced in early December that he would forego his final season of eligibility to enter the NFL Draft, and he'll play in his final collegiate game on Monday. The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl matchup with Marshall gives the standout wide receiver one last chance to not only play alongside his UCF teammates but also show NFL scouts and decision-makers what he brings to the table. "Although not a burner, Davis accelerates smoothly in his routes with subtle suddenness at the stem, finishing strong with his hands," Brugler wrote in this analysis of Davis. "He might get overlooked in a loaded wide receiver class, but he should absolutely be considered on Day 2 of the draft." Davis enters the bowl game with a receiving stat line of 72-1,241-12.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Dec 22, 2019, 6:19 PM ET

UCF junior WR Gabriel Davis declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Davis (6'3/214) just turned in the best season of his career, having caught 72 passes for 1,241 yards and 12 touchdowns this fall. For the next level, the wideout profiles as a lanky deep threat. We'll be interested to see how he tests out on the speed and agility fronts come the spring, but he plays with a stellar physicality and should be in range for a potential Day 2 selection assuming he doesn't put on a parachute during the 40-yard dash.

SOURCE: Gabriel Davis on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 10:16 AM ET

UCF junior WR Gabriel Davis leads the FBS with 3.59 yards per route run among 120 qualifying receivers.

120 receivers in the country have at least 200 routes run this year, but none of them have been more efficiency with their routes than Davis. Davis (6'3/214) is the primary threat in an explosive, aggressive UCF passing offense. On just 47 receptions, Davis has earned 833 yards (17.7 per catch) and 10 touchdowns. The Knights will be counting on Davis to keep up the pace against Temple this weekend.

SOURCE: Cam Mellor on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 1:26 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that UCF junior WR Gabriel Davis is the prospect to watch for in the UCF-Cincinnati contest on Friday.

Davis has been the go-to target in the UCF offense so far, and Brugler notes that he was a player he wish he could have included in his most recent board. " A player who reminds me of former Western Michigan and current Tennessee Titans wide receiver Corey Davis, he is a good-sized athlete who might not have elite speed, but he is very efficient mid-route to create spacing downfield," Brugler writes. The Bearcats defense has mostly been solid this year -- outside of being overmatched against Ohio STate -- so this is a good test for the 6-foot-3, 214-pound wideout.

Oct 4, 2019, 5:03 PM ET

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline rates UCF junior WR Gabriel Davis as the team's best NFL prospect.

Pauline gave Davis a second round grade, writing that his 40 time will have a significant impact on the wideout's draft prospects. "A tall, sure-handed wideout, Davis displays big-play potential besides being a terrific red-zone threat. He shows great concentration and the ability to come away with the contested grab, and he’s sneaky fast," Pauline wrote. Davis (6'3/212), a second team all-conference selection, was UCF's best option in the passing game last season. The rising junior posted a line of 53 catches, 815 yards and seven touchdowns, and that was with starting QB McKenzie Milton missing the final two games due to a serious knee injury. Davis will be a key option for Notre Dame transfer QB Brandon Wimbush, who will be the starter with both Milton and Darriel Mack (broken ankle) sidelined.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Jul 11, 2019, 2:11 PM ET

I'm surprised his name hasn't garnered more attention in the past few weeks.  Dude is an absolute beast.  He (along with Bryan Edwards) might be my only 2 "must haves" from this years draft.  

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein compared UCF WR Gabriel Davis to former Cowboys WR Terrance Williams in his analysis of the collegiate standout.

Davis (6'2/216) was highly productive during his time at UCF, but it's fair to note the impact that the Knights' offensive system had on the talented wide receiver. In 2019 he caught 72 passes for 1,241 yards and 12 touchdowns, but there are still concerns regarding his route-running and ability to separate from defensive backs. And those aren't minor issues that can be glossed over, meaning that Davis could be more of a developmental project early in his career. "His size and downfield talent could push him up the board, but he won't get easy looks in the pros and may need more work and development than the 2019 production might indicate," Zierlein wrote in his analysis. Davis is projected to be a Day 2 selection in April's draft.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 24, 2020, 2:32 PM ET

Lets go!  Great numbers across the board, now a good workout to boot and we can get this party started.  AHHHH I LOVE THE COMBINE

Height: 6-2

Weight: 216

Hand: 9 2/8

Arm: 32 2/8

Wingspan: 77 4/8

Bills selected UCF WR Gabriel Davis with the No. 128 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Davis (6’2/216) declared early after leading the Knights in receiving as a sophomore (53/815/7) and junior (72/1,241/12) in back-to-back years. While a 4.54 40-time is respectable for his size, he leaned more on his massive frame to corral 22 catches of 20-plus yards in '19. He inarguably needs more route running development, particularly while setting up any plays underneath — PFF charted 1,045 of his 1,241 yards last season from a linear combination of hitches, slants, posts, go's, and double moves. With little slot (6.6% career rate) and special teams experience to speak of, Davis is a boom-or-bust option who may struggle in a singular role in the NFL. Fortunately, he'll only be 21 years old on draft night.

Apr 25, 2020, 1:16 PM ET

Not too shabby.  Lots of old WR's on that roster.  He's basically the same guy as John Brown but with the size to become way more.  Luckily he'll have a year or two to learn and develop.  He's so young that I'm happily taking my shot on him.  

The Bills' official website believes fourth-round WR Gabriel Davis could be a "plug-and-play weapon." 

The 6-foot-2 UCF product provides some badly-needed size for the Bills' receiver corps. Although he is not the most polished route runner, Davis' immediate impact could come in the form of plays down the field and targets in the red zone. A 21-year-old rookie, Davis is an intriguing Dynasty league prospect. 

SOURCE: buffalobills.com 

Jul 4, 2020, 11:11 AM ET

John Brown on Stefon Diggs, Bills' rookie receivers

Excerpt:

Actually by comparison in comments made by Brown, you’d think that Davis and Hodgins were the hot commodities.

“Those two rookies, they the two best that I’ve seen so far since I’ve been in the league. Those guys know the playbook better than any other veteran right now,” Brown said. “With those guys it’s amazing because… they helping us [veterans]. They got this stuff down pat like I’ve never seen before. They have it down pat. We asking them all the questions, they know everything. These kids are smart. They came in and the first week they got the playbook, they knew everything. It amazed me how fast they moved.”

Still, Davis and Hodgins have a massive uphill climb to be early difference-makers for the Bills. It’s just the nature of the beast this offseason. Rookies for every team have to earn roster spots while having no preseason games to prove their worth. As a fourth rounder, Davis is likely secured on Buffalo’s roster, at least in 2020. Hodgins has a much bigger ask to make the roster as a late-round rookie.

Bills beat reporters are all over this guy.... every day it seems like they say something good about him
Yup. Pretty much nothing but positive things to say about him so far with a lot of them saying he looks like he could be the real deal. One mentioned today that he was the 2nd best receiver behind Diggs today and that that it was a big compliment because John Brown was also really good.

If Josh Allen can keep from pooping the bed, this could be a really interesting offense by year end.

In an FFPC Superflex I moved Antonio Brown and a future 2nd for Jalen Hurts and Gabriel. It will be hard for me to roster Hurts thru next offseason and I may very well have lost the trade on the Hurts for a 2nd part, but I got Brown for a 7th and I feel I'll be able to flip Davis for much more if he has a good rookie year. He is my WR7 at the moment.

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia reports Bills fourth-round WR Gabriel Davis has "routinely stood out" this summer. 

"Davis has routinely stood out in practices and has quickly become a trusted target of all four quarterbacks," was Buscaglia's exact quote. Davis has been a frequent topic of conversation amongst the Bills media after the 6-foot-2 UCF product arrived in the league with a reputation for maximizing his size. Davis will be unlikely to make re-draft noise behind Stefon Diggs and John Brown in the Bills' run-based offense, but the 21-year-old is an intriguing stash in Dynasty leagues. 

Aug 24, 2020, 6:14 PM ET

This thread back in the spring allowed me to scoop him around pick 40 a few times. Might add him in a couple shallower leagues now too.

Gabriel Davis played 43-of-87 snaps (49 percent) in Week 1 against the Jets.

Stefon Diggs, John Brown, and Cole Beasley all finished with higher snap counts. Davis was the talk of Bills camp, but he’s behind Brown on the outside. Four-receiver sets will be his primary source of rookie involvement. Davis is a highly-intriguing hold in Dynasty leagues. 

Sep 16, 2020, 10:29 AM ET

I am guessing all who drafted Davis are dynasty players with a long-term view.  A basically 50% snap count week 1, is enough to keep me happy.  :)
He was an active participant for the most part.  Had a catch on the very first play.  He did have a few matador blocks on outside run plays, totally whiffed on his blocking assignment, but I don't think they drafted him as a lead blocker.

He was an active participant for the most part.  Had a catch on the very first play.  He did have a few matador blocks on outside run plays, totally whiffed on his blocking assignment, but I don't think they drafted him as a lead blocker.
Thank you for the info, I was not able to see any of the game.  Certainly at 6'2" and 212,  I hope that Davis is stout enough physically that he can develop into a decent/good blocker.

Gabriel Davis caught a six-yard touchdown in Week 2 against the Dolphins.

In what was Davis' only target on the afternoon, the 21-year-old rookie continued streaking along the back of the end zone to eventually corral his first career touchdown on a diving catch from Josh Allen. Davis has played at least 40% of Buffalo's snaps in both games for the Bills as OC Brian Daboll has continued leaning on a league-high rate of four-wide sets. The fourth-rounder is worth rostering in 14-team leagues given the Bills' soft schedule through Week 8.

Sep 20, 2020, 6:11 PM ET

They seem be be featuring him today. Probably a waiver grab for a lot of leagues this week. 
I think it's a bit more that they haven't been throwing at Ramsey for the most part, but Davis has been able to get open.  His one deep catch had tremendous body control to get both feet in.  If Allen adjusted a little better and threw the ball inside shoulder, might have been a TD.  

I think it's a bit more that they haven't been throwing at Ramsey for the most part, but Davis has been able to get open.  His one deep catch had tremendous body control to get both feet in.  If Allen adjusted a little better and threw the ball inside shoulder, might have been a TD.  
In fairness to Allen, he was being chased the other direction. Tough pass.

Users who are viewing this thread