What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Gabriel Davis, JAC (1 Viewer)

This is happening faster than I thought. Might have to activate him from taxi squads soon with the bloodbath of injuries.

Zyphros said:
BEAST!!!! Get on board or get left behind. Looks like a true #1 out there.
Disappeared in the 2nd half though. Kid's going to need a little time to be consistent.

GroveDiesel said:
In fairness to Allen, he was being chased the other direction. Tough pass.
Allen is playing great this year obv but he had no one near him on that pass. He could have easily set his feet and turned that into a TD. He'll see it in the film room.

Disappeared in the 2nd half though. Kid's going to need a little time to be consistent.

74% snap count this week, though a good chunk of that is probably due to John Brown getting injured.
He's making John Brown slowly irrelevant though.  He was always the bigger better version of John Brown.  I said that months ago in this very thread.  John Browns snap count was 81, 56, and now 29 this past week.  Mostly due to injury but it's not like Davis is showing poorly.  When Brown comes back I have to imagine that it's relatively even or in Davis' favor.  He hasn't shown anything to suggest he'll take a backseat (mental errors, rookie mistakes, those sort of things).  Davis is showing out and becoming the 1b to Diggs' 1a.  The Thielen to Diggs that is making Josh Allen play better all around.  

He went under the radar during the pre-draft process, under the radar during the draft, and going under the radar now.  

Gabriel Davis caught his lone target for a 26-yard touchdown in the Bills' Week 4 win over the Raiders.

An underrated prospect who checked boxes analytically, Davis has looked the part early in his career as a valuable deep threat. The Bills are mixing in four-receiver sets, but he's still off the redraft radar with Stefon Diggs, John Brown, and Cole Beasley all healthy. If one of them miss time, Davis is an intriguing name to know. In dynasty formats, he looks like a quality sleeper. 

Oct 4, 2020, 8:00 PM ET

Good article, but this part made me laugh: 

"Wait a minute. Let’s slam on the brakes here and throw it into reverse for a second."

"Hooters. Nine years old. What?"

Is Hooters really that bad?  It is not a gentleman's club.  Waitresses are clad in as much as they are at many public places.  I consider myself old school a nd on the conservative side, but I don't see a problem with a Nine year old at Hooters.  LOL

I recall reading a quote from John Brown back during training camp praising Davis for how quickly he picked up the playbook and was helping the veterans learn it as well.  The sky is the limit for this kid.

With as quickly as the kid has shown some ability and how Allen looks like he very well may be a long-term huge-armed franchise QB, it's hard not to get a little excited here.

Gabriel Davis caught 5-of-9 targets for 58 yards in the Bills' Week 5 loss to the Titans.

With John Brown (calf) out, Davis was a starter and full-time player. His nine targets were second on the team behind Stefon Diggs (16). Unfortunately, a first-half Davis touchdown was erased by an offensive penalty. The 21-year-old sleeper has deep-threat appeal as a big body for Josh Allen, but he'll revert back to No. 4 duties when Brown can shake his soft-tissue injury. 

Oct 13, 2020, 10:47 PM ET

Four Downs: For Gabriel Davis, the time is now

Excerpt:

Gabriel Davis gets another opportunity

With John Brown already ruled out for Sunday’s game, rookie Gabriel Davis will have some big shoes to fill on offense. The UCF-product has shined at times this season, with 19 receptions for 275 yards and three touchdowns throughout ten games. As expected from a rookie, there has been some inconsistency with him this season.

Davis’s potential was on display in the Week 9 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, where he caught four of five targets for 70 yards and a touchdown. This is a prime example of what Davis can bring to the Bills’ offense, but has been more of an exception than the norm. With Brown battling through numerous injuries this season, Davis will be an important weapon for Josh Allen throughout the rest of the season. Hopefully this begins with Davis making the most of the opportunity that should present itself against the Chargers.

Brown went to IR so he is out for at least the next 3 weeks. This could be a league winner situation for Davis. Since I am (possibly) down many players this weekend between Taylor, Conner, possibly Claypool and Juju, I am likely bumping Davis into my starting lineup for a high scoring game script against the Chargers. We shall see.

Gabriel Davis caught 3-of-4 targets for 79 yards and one score in Buffalo's Week 12 win over the Chargers.

Davis' touchdown reception actually came from Cole Beasley, who went into motion behind Josh Allen, caught a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage, and found Davis wide open in the end zone for a 20-yard score. The 6'2/216 rookie also out-leaped his coverage for a 44-yard grab in the fourth quarter. Davis has averaged three more targets per game (2.3 to 5.3) without John Brown (calf) this year but remains light years behind Stefon Diggs (12) and Cole Beasley (7.3) in terms of volume in those starts. Davis is still an intriguing FLEX option if Brown remains sidelined for what should be an uptempo matchup against the 49ers on Monday night.

Nov 30, 2020, 8:37 AM ET

Davis has played pretty damn well in his limited time as a rookie. Several nice looking catches, and a couple drops, but overall he's looked really good. It's got me thinking, with the salary cap up in the air for next year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills try to trade John Brown in the off season and have Davis take over the #2 role behind Diggs. Brown will only have a 1.6M dead cap hit towards the salary, while giving the Bills a savings of 8.15M. He'll probably be a nice play in 2021(pretty decent play now in deeper dynasty leagues).

Davis has played pretty damn well in his limited time as a rookie. Several nice looking catches, and a couple drops, but overall he's looked really good. It's got me thinking, with the salary cap up in the air for next year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills try to trade John Brown in the off season and have Davis take over the #2 role behind Diggs. Brown will only have a 1.6M dead cap hit towards the salary, while giving the Bills a savings of 8.15M. He'll probably be a nice play in 2021(pretty decent play now in deeper dynasty leagues).
While I won't speculate on John Brown's contract specifically, it's clear the Bills view Davis as a future starting WR.  He is getting huge snap counts (even when John Brown has been healthy) and the only reason his stats aren't bigger is because there's only so much to go around. 

I don't know for certain, but my limited understanding is that the reason the Bills run so many 4 WR sets is because Davis is so far ahead of where they thought he would be in his development.  I don't think they came into the season identifying that they want to run 4 WR sets more than any team in the NFL.....I think they realized that they've got something special in Davis and need to get him on the field.

While I won't speculate on John Brown's contract specifically, it's clear the Bills view Davis as a future starting WR.  He is getting huge snap counts (even when John Brown has been healthy) and the only reason his stats aren't bigger is because there's only so much to go around. 

I don't know for certain, but my limited understanding is that the reason the Bills run so many 4 WR sets is because Davis is so far ahead of where they thought he would be in his development.  I don't think they came into the season identifying that they want to run 4 WR sets more than any team in the NFL.....I think they realized that they've got something special in Davis and need to get him on the field.
What a horrible problem to have. 😁

FWIW, every time I watch him he looks damn good and makes plays; I have tried to add and keep him in all my dynasty teams and redraft wherever feasible. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Levitan (Twitter)

Nov 30

Gabriel Davis with John Brown (ankle, IR) out yesterday: * 60-of-61 snaps * 14 of them slot * 4 targets for a 16% share * Josh Allen only threw 24 times, came into game averaging 36.4 attempts per game
The future is bright for Davis, and we may get an extended glimpse of what he can offer while Brown is on IR, but I don't like the Bill's schedule the rest of the season:  49ers (Week 13), Steelers (Week 14), Broncos (Week 15), and Patriots (Week 16).  Brutal!

The future is bright for Davis, and we may get an extended glimpse of what he can offer while Brown is on IR, but I don't like the Bill's schedule the rest of the season:  49ers (Week 13), Steelers (Week 14), Broncos (Week 15), and Patriots (Week 16).  Brutal!
I agree 100%. He’s bounced on and off my roster all season but I’m fading him for the stretch run for Denzel Mims and Allen Lazard due to schedule. 

May go after Davis this week with my Fuller suddenly gone and both Evans and AB on bye.

Mike Clay on ESPN indicates that the CB matchup he has with SF is one to avoid though. SF D suddenly getting healthy.

May go after Davis this week with my Fuller suddenly gone and both Evans and AB on bye.

Mike Clay on ESPN indicates that the CB matchup he has with SF is one to avoid though. SF D suddenly getting healthy.
Trying to find any articles or stats that would indicate Selah has changed things up this year. Aren’t they mostly a 9 wide / cover 4 D? How often are they in man?

Have the same issue. Looking at Davis, Mims, Tonyan (we have wr/te spot) and obviously Coutee. Davis has the worst schedule, by far

Have the same issue. Looking at Davis, Mims, Tonyan (we have wr/te spot) and obviously Coutee. Davis has the worst schedule, by far
We're looking at the same options :)

One I'd add: D. Mooney. Great matchup and Trubisky was targeting him all over. 

We're looking at the same options :)

One I'd add: D. Mooney. Great matchup and Trubisky was targeting him all over. 
Mooney has been getting “targets” all year, albeit usually 9 routes way over his head or into the arms of the safety. horrible catch rate that is def not a reflection of how he has played.

In the one dynasty league I'm in I have Allen at QB and Davis is available, and I'm thinking of adding him with next year in mind. I can't tell if he's just a go route, TD dependent guy or if he has the skill to round in a legit #2 for the team.

In the one dynasty league I'm in I have Allen at QB and Davis is available, and I'm thinking of adding him with next year in mind. I can't tell if he's just a go route, TD dependent guy or if he has the skill to round in a legit #2 for the team.
I believe Davis has the skill to be more than just a one-trick pony.  Like teammate Stefon Diggs, I believe Davis was under-drafted.  He is an intelligent route runner, and he has the physical tools to develop into a reliable WR2.  He is a definite add in Dynasty, imo.

I believe Davis has the skill to be more than just a one-trick pony.  Like teammate Stefon Diggs, I believe Davis was under-drafted.  He is an intelligent route runner, and he has the physical tools to develop into a reliable WR2.  He is a definite add in Dynasty, imo.
Thank you! Added him in hopes he takes a leap next year. He actually has scored some decent points in limited usage this year.

Weighing up Davis vs Reagor in dynasty for ROS and in the future 

Gabriel Davis caught 3-of-4 targets for 68 yards and one touchdown in the Bills' Week 13 win over the 49ers.

An every-down player now with John Brown on I.R., Davis has turned eight targets into 6-147-2 over the last two weeks. His longest catch went for a 28-yard score in this one when he got loose behind Richard Sherman in the fourth quarter. Davis will be an upside WR4 next week against Pittsburgh as the distant third option in the passing attack behind Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley.

Dec 8, 2020, 12:01 AM ET

He went under the radar during the pre-draft process, under the radar during the draft, and going under the radar now.  
And under rated now as a rookie WR on a fantastic offense. If you're rebuilding or looking for a cheaper 2020 rookie to buy he's the guy. He shouldn't be cheaper but he is because this class is overall SO good. Beastley is 31 (signed through 2022), John Brown is 30 (signed through 2021), Gabriel Davis is the long term dynasty play. I currently have him as dynasty WR34. 

He's only 21 years old. He has 422 yds and 5 TD's with 4 games to go as a rookie. You can't ask for more from a young rookie playing WR4/3 on his own team. 

Week 14 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: Gabriel Davis' rookie breakout

Excerpt:

RISER: WR GABRIEL DAVIS, BUFFALO BILLS

Davis has simply produced whenever given the chance. John Brown has missed four games this season, and Davis has averaged 11.4 fantasy points per game in those weeks — even posting three WR2 finishes in the past four weeks. 

PFF @PFF

Most TD receptions by rookie WRs:

1. Chase Claypool - 8
2. Justin Jefferson - 6

3. Tee Higgins - 5

T-4. CeeDee Lamb/Gabriel Davis - 4

https://twitter.com/pff/status/1335592601500725248?s=21

The Bills spent fourth-round draft capital on a player who broke out in his second year of college football and hit 1,241 receiving yards in his junior season at UCF. Now, he’s producing as a rookie. It shouldn’t be a surprise when Davis pushes Brown for his role as early as the end of this season.

Gabriel Davis caught 3-of-5 targets for 33 yards in the Bills' Week 16 win over the Patriots.

He caught a couple passes early in the first quarter but wasn't heard from much the rest of the way. The 33 yards were actually Davis' most in a game since Week 13. He's a big-play WR4 when John Brown is out, but Brown should be back for the playoff run. If Cole Beasley (leg) is hurt, however, Davis may remain in three-wide sets.

Dec 28, 2020, 11:39 PM ET

I’ll keep saying it, appreciate this guy more. He’s grown before our eyes this year. He’s the deep play guy and learning more nuance behind Diggs. Diggs is obviously the guy, but he’s the Thielen to Diggs of the future. 

Gabriel Davis caught all four of his targets for 85 yards in the Bills' Wild Card Weekend win against the Colts. 

Davis had a couple impressive toe-tappers against the Colts, finding soft spots in Indy's zone defense on those two downfield grabs. Davis continues to be out-targeted by Cole Beasley but he's the next best big play option behind Stefon Diggs. Davis will likely be a key to Buffalo's offense if the Bills make a deep postseason run. 

Jan 9, 2021, 4:52 PM ET

Officially a top50 dynasty WR. I haven't messed with my rankings in a while but I figure he'll come in somewhere around 35-40 for me. 

The x-factor is what does Buffalo do this offseason...if they don't add another quality WR his value will very much be on the upswing this offseason as he really looks the part and you gotta love the fact he'll only be 22 in April...my fear is a high octane offense like Buffalo or KC is always a threat to add another offensive weapon as they know the more they add around their stud QB the more unstoppable they become...I don't care what the other holes on the team may be this will always be a threat because that is the direction the NFL is headed and as far as WR is concerned college football is pumping out studs right now...Davis is a good one but he doesn't need another potential quality WR or TE added to the mix as far as his upside is concerned since he already has Diggs in the mix and he is their alpha.

The x-factor is what does Buffalo do this offseason...if they don't add another quality WR his value will very much be on the upswing this offseason as he really looks the part and you gotta love the fact he'll only be 22 in April...my fear is a high octane offense like Buffalo or KC is always a threat to add another offensive weapon as they know the more they add around their stud QB the more unstoppable they become...I don't care what the other holes on the team may be this will always be a threat because that is the direction the NFL is headed and as far as WR is concerned college football is pumping out studs right now...Davis is a good one but he doesn't need another potential quality WR or TE added to the mix as far as his upside is concerned since he already has Diggs in the mix and he is their alpha.
I mentioned it earlier on this page that Brown might be gone, adding to Davis's value both irl and fantasy.  My guess is a WR in the later rounds 4+. Don't rule out a RB in rounds 1-3.

Could be a risk, but what he's shown as a rookie is he is a difference maker. Smart teams don't limit involvement of difference makers, they scheme for it. Those 2 sideline catches yesterday were clutch.  

Could be a risk, but what he's shown as a rookie is he is a difference maker. Smart teams don't limit involvement of difference makers, they scheme for it. Those 2 sideline catches yesterday were clutch.  
I agree...that being said there is a difference between real and fantasy football and it has nothing to do with a team being smart...I have zero doubts the kid is legit and will be a big part of their offense...my concern is adding another quality weapon which could limit his fantasy upside since he already has Diggs to compete with...kind of like what happened to Gallup in Dallas when they drafted Lamb.

I agree...that being said there is a difference between real and fantasy football and it has nothing to do with a team being smart...I have zero doubts the kid is legit and will be a big part of their offense...my concern is adding another quality weapon which could limit his fantasy upside since he already has Diggs to compete with...kind of like what happened to Gallup in Dallas when they drafted Lamb.
Well, yes it goes without saying drafting a WR with the pedigree of Lamb would impact everyone else.

Davis’s play this year was a testament to how deep the draft class was at WR and why the Bills felt so comfortable trading away their 1st rounder for Diggs. Sure, the WR the Vikings got looks like a stud too, but the Bills got a sure fire elite guy and still managed to get a guy that very well could develop into a #1 type WR in the 4th round as well. They got the best of both worlds by trading away the risk of the unknown for the known stud while still grabbing a cheap young unknown later that is panning out.

Users who are viewing this thread