What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lens Replacement Surgery (1 Viewer)

The Commish

Footballguy
I think I'm jumping in and having this done.  Glasses don't bother me until they do (if that makes sense) and here in Florida they are the biggest PITA I can imagine.  I took the opportunity to get a consult at a local place and it turns out that I have the beginnings of cataracts otherwise, Lasik would probably be sufficient.  With this procedure they replace my lens (so I don't ever have to worry about cataracts again) and then I'd be afforded lasik touch ups if ever necessary.  I'm 45 years old and am pretty active coaching my kid's baseball team, golf, scuba etc.  

Anyone have experience with lens replacement?

the wife of a guy i work with is scheduled for this surgery end of march / early april (don't know specifics)

he said she's basically legally blind right now so this is the only option. sounds like doctor said it's a breeze but....

My uncle just had this done in November.  He had some pain for a few days after they did each eye (did each one separate) but is extremely happy he did it.  For the first time in 40 years he doesn't need glasses.

It's a common surgery with low complication rate. You can get it now and maximize your time with good vision, or delay it for fear of an unlikely bad outcome and be faced with the same decision in a few years when the cataracts progresses.

FWIW - MIL had it done about 6 months ago and results have been great. They added a prescription to the implanted lense and she can see great again. 

I'm all in.....I have 7 different appointments with them between this week and the second week of March :lmao:

They will do mine with  two weeks between also and two follow ups on the first surgery...one for the second.  I'm tired of these stupid glasses...they gots to go!

I'm all in.....I have 7 different appointments with them between this week and the second week of March :lmao:

They will do mine with  two weeks between also and two follow ups on the first surgery...one for the second.  I'm tired of these stupid glasses...they gots to go!
Good luck and keep us updated. I didn't realize the new lens could improve vision.

Is this just updated LASIK? No brainer 
No.  Lasik is a procedure on your cornea.  They cut a flap, reshape etc.  The lens sits on the back of the eye and a cataract is when that lens starts to harden and dry out with age.  The procedure I will have is one where they go in through the side of the eye, removed the natural lens and put an artificial one in its place.  It won't dry out and harden.  At that point I don't have to worry about cataracts again and the only element of the eye that could possibly change on the cornea side.  With this procedure "lifetime" adjustments to the cornea side are also included.  Those would be Lasik adjustments. 

Good luck and keep us updated. I didn't realize the new lens could improve vision.
Best decision I ever made.  I opted for the progressive lens option.  I had my final follow up (finally) in July and can read the 20/20 lines on the cards.  The surgeries were actually in March, but with all the Covid stuff it's taken a while to get things wrapped up.  Right after surgery I could tell a huge difference but I had a tough time reading contrasting colors/backgrounds.  So a ticker going across the bottom of the screen had a bad halo effect.  Anything that was black on white or white on black was a bit blurry too.  I was worried but the doctor told me to be patient.  I also had a little bit of trouble reading at 24-36 inches away...no problems at distance or close up though.  Since March, all of that has cleared up.  It's pretty amazing to basically watch my brain adjust.

ETA:  The worst part of the whole process was the two week time where I had one good eye and one bad...that was annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best decision I ever made.  I opted for the progressive lens option.  I had my final follow up (finally) in July and can read the 20/20 lines on the cards.  The surgeries were actually in March, but with all the Covid stuff it's taken a while to get things wrapped up.  Right after surgery I could tell a huge difference but I had a tough time reading contrasting colors/backgrounds.  So a ticker going across the bottom of the screen had a bad halo effect.  Anything that was black on white or white on black was a bit blurry too.  I was worried but the doctor told me to be patient.  I also had a little bit of trouble reading at 24-36 inches away...no problems at distance or close up though.  Since March, all of that has cleared up.  It's pretty amazing to basically watch my brain adjust.

ETA:  The worst part of the whole process was the two week time where I had one good eye and one bad...that was annoying.
Vision has a big impact on quality of life. I'm glad your surgery was successful.

Had an annual eye exam in late June and was diagnosed with cataracts. Have an appointment this coming Monday with an ophthalmologist to discuss lens replacement surgery. Been reading about it so this thread is very timely for me. Still trying to understand the difference and benefits of the types of lenses.

KingPrawn said:
Had an annual eye exam in late June and was diagnosed with cataracts. Have an appointment this coming Monday with an ophthalmologist to discuss lens replacement surgery. Been reading about it so this thread is very timely for me. Still trying to understand the difference and benefits of the types of lenses.
I can give you high level info.  I assume you have a prescription.  The first option is to have one eye set for near sight and the other for far sight.  They say some people have an issue with this lay out.  They put the prescription in the machine and let me try it out.  I didn't have a problem persay, but if you shut one eye or the other you could tell a big difference.  It's fascinating how the brain adapts so quickly though.  My vision was just fine with that option.  The next option is progressive lenses.  They get your prescription and put in lenses that have a short, medium and long range aspect to the lens (sort of like trifocals but crammed into a single lens).  That's what I got.  It's a couple thousand dollars more, but now both eyes function basically the same.  

Hi mate just wondering how you getting on I had lens replacement in both eyes 5 weeks back I’m ok in the house with close vision but when I go outside it’s still blurry how long did it take for you to see clear the surgeon has told me it takes time to adapt 

Hi mate just wondering how you getting on I had lens replacement in both eyes 5 weeks back I’m ok in the house with close vision but when I go outside it’s still blurry how long did it take for you to see clear the surgeon has told me it takes time to adapt 
Mr R had this done.  Each of his eyes was fine the day after surgery.  If it concerns you, go see the doctor.  FIve weeks seems like quite a time for this.  You may need glasses for distance vision or something.

Had my surgeries in late October and early November with no complications. Went from 20/400 vision to 20/25. Still need readers but I can live with that. Eyes are still sensitive a little bit to sunlight,especially off the snow. Otherwise I'm very very happy with the way things went. Still wake up once in awhile in the middle of the night and instinctively reach for my glasses on the nightstand. Been doing that for 40+ years so it's a hard reflex to break. 😄

Mine was the opposite Criss....I was good outside almost immediately.  It took a good 2-3 months before I was comfortable on a screen of any sort.  I'd have days where it was hard to read my computer screen and had "halo" effects watching HD tv....and scrolling tickers were the worst.  But that's all gotten better over time.

Mine are fine indoors just outside like I say still a bit blurry saw the surgeon last week 4 weeks after surgery and he says just give it time I had trifocals put in and he says they have to share the light for close vision intermediate and far vision just hope he’s right 

No.  Lasik is a procedure on your cornea.  They cut a flap, reshape etc.  The lens sits on the back of the eye and a cataract is when that lens starts to harden and dry out with age.  The procedure I will have is one where they go in through the side of the eye, removed the natural lens and put an artificial one in its place.  It won't dry out and harden.  At that point I don't have to worry about cataracts again and the only element of the eye that could possibly change on the cornea side.  With this procedure "lifetime" adjustments to the cornea side are also included.  Those would be Lasik adjustments. 
There is one not-uncommon issue that can arise -- scar tissue gradually growing over the artificial lens:

What is YAG posterior capsulotomy? YAG posterior capsulotomy is a laser treatment used to remove scar tissue from around your lens implant. Some call this scar tissue a “secondary cataract.” It is not a new cataract, but rather, scar tissue growing across your implanted lens. This can cause your vision to become blurry again – similar to before you had your original cataract surgery. This scar tissue can form months or years after your initial cataract surgery. Your YAG posterior capsulotomy will help you see clearly again.
I had cataracts in both eyes removed/artificial lenses implanted in August 2015. By early 2018, my left eye was still OK, but vision in my right eye was turning noticeably blurry due to the build-up of scar tissue across the lens. In July 2018, I had a YAG posterior capsulotomy to remove the scar tissue. Literally, they shoot a laser at the scar tissue and knock chunks of it away. Those chunks end up as unobtrusive mini-floaters in your eye's vitreous fluid an go away over time.

Fortunately, the capsulotomy to remove the scar tissue is a quick outpatient visit. I was able to drive myself to and from the visit.

I will have to have another capsulotomy done on my left eye after the pandemic has run its course. Started noticing issues in August 2019, kicked the can down the road, then the pandemic hit. In hindsight, I should have done the procedure maybe December 2019 or January 2020. Fortunately, I am very right-eye dominant so I can do without clear vision in my left eye for now.

Mine are fine indoors just outside like I say still a bit blurry saw the surgeon last week 4 weeks after surgery and he says just give it time I had trifocals put in and he says they have to share the light for close vision intermediate and far vision just hope he’s right 
Yeah....i had progressive lenses put in too. Only thing i notice now is at night.....i have the halos around lights, but honestly, if he hadnt told me that was probable, i wouldnt even notice it

So you can see perfectly clear when you’re outside, what make we’re the lenses you have I have the Panoptix 

So you can see perfectly clear when you’re outside, what make we’re the lenses you have I have the Panoptix 
Good lens

I am a surgical scrub tech and do this all day long. We have been putting more and more of these in. It is exciting to see all the advances over the last 30 years.

If anyone has surgical questions I am happy to answer them if I can. I assist in cataracts, retina, glaucoma, corneal, and plastic surgeries.

The vast majority is cataracts.

Good lens

I am a surgical scrub tech and do this all day long. We have been putting more and more of these in. It is exciting to see all the advances over the last 30 years.

If anyone has surgical questions I am happy to answer them if I can. I assist in cataracts, retina, glaucoma, corneal, and plastic surgeries.

The vast majority is cataracts.
Yes the surgeon told me that these lenses are very good but it’s just the blurry vision outside that I’m concerned with.the surgeon explained about the halos but these may go in time but to be honest it doesn’t really bother me .i like to play golf and watch football but can’t do any at the moment 

Yeah....and it's almost perfect inside (I'm about 10 months in to having them).  I didn't see this until now and had to look up the type...had no idea.  Johnson and Johnson apparently?

My dad had this done a number of years ago when he started getting cataracts.  Went from a prescription of -14.5 to 20/40.  Massive, huge difference in quality of life for him.  -14.5 is huge, thick coke bottle glasses and he went to barely there glasses.  

Sand said:
My dad had this done a number of years ago when he started getting cataracts.  Went from a prescription of -14.5 to 20/40.  Massive, huge difference in quality of life for him.  -14.5 is huge, thick coke bottle glasses and he went to barely there glasses.  
These high prescription ones are the best ones to do. These people are so thankful. 

Criss said:
So how far is your clear distance vision would you say
I am more sensitive to sunlight now.  I can still be outside without sunglasses on, but I can't see as well.  Still plenty well to play golf like I did when I was in college though.  If I have sunglasses on, my vision is back to the way it was when I was in my 20s....I'm 46 now.  I DO struggle with things really up close and in dim light though

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply my reading vision is excellent and it’s very good in dim light, I find it better when daylight is breaking or when it’s getting dusk.in the daylight hours as I work outside I’m finding things a touch blurred from around a few metres it’s just been over 2 months since surgery so I am hoping the blurred vision will disappear 

Bumping this. I had a Lasik consultation yesterday and a follow up virtual conference with a surgeon today. Lens replacement (exchange) is the procedure being recommended. About double the cost I was planning for Lasik, but am leaning toward it anyway. I am 54.

@The Commish how are your eyes now? Have you had any adjustments made? I'm not seeing Criss as someone I can @.

The place I would be having the procedure does both eyes the same day, with a follow up visit the next day. The doctor did mention the lenses could cloud up after 6 months to 2 years, but that it was a quick simple procedure to clear them up.

Anyone else have this procedure done or know someone who has?

Bumping this. I had a Lasik consultation yesterday and a follow up virtual conference with a surgeon today. Lens replacement (exchange) is the procedure being recommended. About double the cost I was planning for Lasik, but am leaning toward it anyway. I am 54.

@The Commish how are your eyes now? Have you had any adjustments made? I'm not seeing Criss as someone I can @.

The place I would be having the procedure does both eyes the same day, with a follow up visit the next day. The doctor did mention the lenses could cloud up after 6 months to 2 years, but that it was a quick simple procedure to clear them up.

I'd get a second opinion at an opthamologist. I had a cataract on my right eye removed and lens implant put in. I sure wouldn't do both eyes in one day, and no one said anything about the lens clouding up ever. Mr R had both eyes done a few weeks apart.

This just sounds like an eyeball puppy mill to me.

It's the best decision I ever made and never have had an issue. The only side effect I have now is at night with halos around lights and if I'm being quite honest, it's one of those things where had the Dr not mentioned it, I'd likely never notice.

After the whole thing though, I completely understand why they do one at a time and I'd be a little leary about doing both at once. I've had three appointments since having the surgery and my eyesight hasn't needed to be adjusted yet. Notice no meaningful difference.

and to the "clouding up" issue, my doctor said that he had to mention it as a possible side effect because it CAN happen, but he followed it up with "if the doctor knows what they're doing, its not ever a problem".

and to the "clouding up" issue, my doctor said that he had to mention it as a possible side effect because it CAN happen, but he followed it up with "if the doctor knows what they're doing, its not ever a problem".

So far as I understand it, the "clouding up" has nothing to do with the lens-replacement procedure at all -- it's a consequence of the eye tissue healing:

Secondary scar tissue developing behind the lens implant is often called a “secondary cataract”. Scar tissue developing on the lens capsule will impair the vision and can cause blurriness or distortion. This is a very common occurrence and can happen in greater than 50% of people that undergo cataract surgery. The wrinkling or cloudiness which can develop months or years later is a result of scarring (a normal healing response) and can interfere withe vision in ways similar to the original cataract. If the clouding of the posterior capsule interferes with your vision, your ophthalmologist may suggest opening the capsule to restore normal sight.

IOW, the replacement lens itself does not cloud up ... but scar tissue builds up gradually behind the replacement lens.

The corrective procedure for the clouding is called a posterior capsulotomy (or a YAG laser capsulotomy). I've had it done in my right eye and need it done in my left eye (been kicking the can since 2019). It really was a 5-minute procedure as described in the link -- basically they shoot a few laser zaps into your eye and you're done. I was able to drive myself back home from my capsulotomy wearing those cheapie "shades" you get at the ophthalmologist's office.

So far as I understand it, the "clouding up" has nothing to do with the lens-replacement procedure at all -- it's a consequence of the eye tissue healing:

Secondary scar tissue developing behind the lens implant is often called a “secondary cataract”. Scar tissue developing on the lens capsule will impair the vision and can cause blurriness or distortion. This is a very common occurrence and can happen in greater than 50% of people that undergo cataract surgery. The wrinkling or cloudiness which can develop months or years later is a result of scarring (a normal healing response) and can interfere withe vision in ways similar to the original cataract. If the clouding of the posterior capsule interferes with your vision, your ophthalmologist may suggest opening the capsule to restore normal sight.

IOW, the replacement lens itself does not cloud up ... but scar tissue builds up gradually behind the replacement lens.

The corrective procedure for the clouding is called a posterior capsulotomy (or a YAG laser capsulotomy). I've had it done in my right eye and need it done in my left eye (been kicking the can since 2019). It really was a 5-minute procedure as described in the link -- basically they shoot a few laser zaps into your eye and you're done. I was able to drive myself back home from my capsulotomy wearing those cheapie "shades" you get at the ophthalmologist's office.
Thats correct GB. There are ways to make the incessions so that scar tissue in those areas doesnt happen. Not foolproof, but technique goes a long way.

This is how it was explained to me. It was also presented as one of the possible issues down the road. And if needed the "cleanup" would be done at no charge.

I'd get a second opinion at an opthamologist. I had a cataract on my right eye removed and lens implant put in. I sure wouldn't do both eyes in one day, and no one said anything about the lens clouding up ever. Mr R had both eyes done a few weeks apart.

This just sounds like an eyeball puppy mill to me.
Kugler Vision in Omaha, NE. Lasik and some of these other procedures is absolutely what they do and they have been doing it for quite a while. My son had Lasik done in 2017 and has nothing but good things to say about them.

I liked the idea of getting them both done on the same day. :shrug:

This is how it was explained to me. It was also presented as one of the possible issues down the road. And if needed the "cleanup" would be done at no charge.
Yep. Mine also includes lasik adjustments should i need them. Three years in and no meaningful amounts of scar tissue for me

There are ways to make the incessions so that scar tissue in those areas doesnt happen. Not foolproof, but technique goes a long way.
Wait — you didn’t have cataract surgery, correct? If not, might be kind of an apple-and-oranges thing. Maybe people prone to cataracts are also prone to scar tissue buildup—maybe some underlying physical process in common or something.

There are ways to make the incessions so that scar tissue in those areas doesnt happen. Not foolproof, but technique goes a long way.
Wait — you didn’t have cataract surgery, correct? If not, might be kind of an apple-and-oranges thing. Maybe people prone to cataracts are also prone to scar tissue buildup—maybe some underlying physical process in common or something.
I had the very beginnings of cataracts on both eyes, so I had my lenses replaced with transitional lenses that basically replaced my 1.5 readers. I could have gambled that they didn't get worse and done just lasik, but decided to get it all addressed at once and not have to worry about it again unless my vision changed.

The price I was quoted was $13,292. That includes a $500 discount because my son had Lasik there, and another $500 discount for making 1 payment by cash/check.

I'm 54 and have never worn contacts, but trying to decide if the cost of the procedure is worth it vs going to contacts.

FWIW....mine was right at $10K. I was 45 when I had it done and I don't have to worry about it ever again. I have no idea how much contacts cost, but they seem like a lot of effort.

The price I was quoted was $13,292. That includes a $500 discount because my son had Lasik there, and another $500 discount for making 1 payment by cash/check.

I'm 54 and have never worn contacts, but trying to decide if the cost of the procedure is worth it vs going to contacts.
We pay $400 a year for daily contacts

Users who are viewing this thread