What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN's Don Lemon Criticized for On Air Behavior Mocking Trump Supporters (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
"The arrogance, the dismissiveness, the smug cackling, the accents.  If Donald Trump wins re-election the year, I'll remember this brief CNN segment late on Saturday night in Jaunary as the perfect encapsulation for why it happened."

Steve Krakauer

Talked about it yesterday, wasn't happy with him(even though I don't watch network news of any kind), but it us curious why a sizable group of people choose to believe a man who has lied on average once every 2 hours since getting into office. For me, I don't believe a word he says, and if he says something, I assume the opposite is true.

He can't helped that Wilson made him laugh.  Besides, as stated in another thread, Trump won't gain a single vote because of it. The people Wilson were mocking, and Lemon laughing at, were already voting that way.  The Secretary of State just took a reporter in a backroom and belittled and swore at her.  Then banned her network from covering an event. That is actual tyranny. Very Nazi-like. Much more likely to cause independents to shy away then a couple of guys cracking up at something funny.

"The arrogance, the dismissiveness, the smug cackling, the accents.  If Donald Trump wins re-election the year, I'll remember this brief CNN segment late on Saturday night in Jaunary as the perfect encapsulation for why it happened."

Steve Krakauer
Yeah, like Don Lemon laughing on the air at a joke about Trump supporters is going to change anyone's vote. The people who are outraged are those who would have voted for Trump anyway. 

Yeah, like Don Lemon laughing on the air at a joke about Trump supporters is going to change anyone's vote. The people who are outraged are those who would have voted for Trump anyway. 
I may not be voting for Trump and I think it's ridiculous and symbolic of CNN's failings...and even the Democratic party to some degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
He can't helped that Wilson made him laugh.  Besides, as stated in another thread, Trump won't gain a single vote because of it. The people Wilson were mocking, and Lemon laughing at, were already voting that way.  The Secretary of State just took a reporter in a backroom and belittled and swore at her.  Then banned her network from covering an event. That is actual tyranny. Very Nazi-like. Much more likely to cause independents to shy away then a couple of guys cracking up at something funny.
And Trump publicly congratulated him for it, but yeah let me pretend Don Lemon is the problem.    

If a dude going on CNN making mean comments makes them more angry than the President of the United States doing the same and at a much more frequent pace, there probably wasn't much of a chance they'd be voting for anyone besides Trump anyways. I don't agree with what Lemon said, but I also don't feel any sympathy for Trump voters. They're supporting this type of behavior by continuing to support Trump.

LOL.

Trump literally tweeted the clip and said Lemon was dumb and has terrible ratings.

"How dare he laugh at a joke where someone was getting mocked.  What disrespect.  Now please excuse me while I go back to worshipping the guy who himself disrespects and mocks people constantly with petty name calling, even right now as I'm typing this".

Anyone who is the least bit upset about this is beyond a lost cause anyway.  Just another of the millions that love to see their champion openly mock people but then curl up and play the sad little victim any time even 1/10th of that kind of ridicule is directed in any way at something that might involve them.

People upset about this are going to vote for the guy who throws around insults at people on a daily basis? Other than people who were already voting for Trump, I'm not buying that at all.
Do you believe that soundbites like this energize the Trump base and even the Republican base to some degree?  Is that good for Democrats?

LOL.

Trump literally tweeted the clip and said Lemon was dumb and has terrible ratings.

"How dare he laugh at a joke where someone was getting mocked.  What disrespect.  Now please excuse me while I go back to worshipping the guy who himself disrespects and mocks people constantly with petty name calling, even right now as I'm typing this".

Anyone who is the least bit upset about this is beyond a lost cause anyway.  Just another of the millions that love to see their champion openly mock people but then curl up and play the sad little victim any time even 1/10th of that kind of ridicule is directed in any way at something that might involve them.
So we can't hold a prominent TV personality to a higher standard?  That's your take?

At this point I don't think neither side cares much about the other side. That's where we have all arrived. 
Would you agree that there is a middle/undecided vote that sees clips like this?  Or are you saying that 99% have decided and nothing matters between now and the election?

LOL.

This.

Own it. 

Do you believe that soundbites like this energize the Trump base and even the Republican base to some degree?  Is that good for Democrats?
You know what energizes Trump's base? Him mocking disabled people, congratulating a politician who body slammed a reporter, cheering his SoS for berating another reporter for no reason, threatening violence against those who don't support him, and threatening our freedom of the press. Those things appear to energize Trump's base.

And again, let's not totally disregard that the person doing the mocking on CNN is a member of Trump's party.

So we can't hold a prominent TV personality to a higher standard?  That's your take?
I don't think anyone who supports Trump can credibly hold anyone to any sort of standard. I mean, it's a free country. They can do what they please. It just doesn't matter. Their opinion on quality of discourse is irrelevant.

Would you agree that there is a middle/undecided vote that sees clips like this?  Or are you saying that 99% have decided and nothing matters between now and the election?
Lemon doing it?..........The POTUS doing it?..... :internationalweighingsymbolwithhands:  

I don't know....but one SEEMS way more important to the health of the country than the other.  

I don't think anyone who supports Trump can credibly hold anyone to any sort of standard. I mean, it's a free country. They can do what they please. It just doesn't matter. Their opinion on quality of discourse is irrelevant.
So 40ish% of the country's opinion doesn't matter.  Interesting take.

Lemon doing it?..........The POTUS doing it?..... :internationalweighingsymbolwithhands:  

I don't know....but one SEEMS way more important to the health of the country than the other.  
So the President's behavior excuses the medias behavior.

That's a rather unfortunate premise.

Not really, the people who support Trump are already energized and will be showing up to the polls. Rick Wilson, the guy who made the remark, actually is a Republican himself so I don't think the comments are going to effect moderate Republicans. 

If we're talking about insults though, how do you think the Democrats showing all the nasty tweets and videos of Trump hurling insults at people will effect him? I'd say that will have a much bigger impact on voters considering it's coming from the President himself, not some guy who hopped on CNN for an interview. I'm also saying that as someone who was never into politics, didn't vote in 2016 and am now committed to voting for whoever the Democrat nominee is pretty much solely due to Trump's behavior.

LOL.

The mistake you and others are making is assuming that anyone who found what Lemon did as oft-putting, is voting for Trump anyway. It is categorically untrue. Now, I agree that independents who are undecided didn’t watch that and think, “those guys were meant to Trump; that’s it, he’s got my vote,” but some of you need to stop making assumptions about voters based on a reaction to one unprofessional CNN talking head. 

I wont answer for him, but for me. NO. At this point there is nothing the dems could do that will lose them significant votes in the Presidential race in November. If someone is going to feign outrage at something like this and then still vote for Trump they are a lost cause for the dems anyway. 5 years ago, maybe. Those days are gone.

So the President's behavior excuses the medias behavior.

That's a rather unfortunate premise.
I think anyone with this opinion is wrong too. The president's supporters are disqualified for holding someone else accountable for their poor behavior. It's on the rest of us.

Is this a serious question?

The president does 10x worse every hour of every day.  Every weeknight Fox has an entire dedicated lineup of anchors whose sole purpose is to act smug and laugh along with their guests at the silliness of the other side and read off quotes/ideals of the other side in funny voices.

If you're telling me there is even one person out there that is going to tell you "oh I was totally a middle/undecided voter, but after seeing that CNN anchor laugh too hard at a joke that made fun of someone I am totally on team Trump.  I just can't tolerate that massive level of disrespect" then that person wasn't actually a middle/undecided voter in the first place.

That would be like a Pats fan after the Patriots got knocked out of the playoffs this year saying "that's it!  I am done with the Patriots, I am becoming a Lions fan because I am tired of all of these terrible seasons!".

In regards to their actions this coming November no one from the middle cares about someone from the right complaining about someone from the left saying something mean about them. 

In my entire life I have never encountered people more eager to be victims than certain Trump supporters. For a group of people supposedly obsessed with fighting against political correctness they sure love to be outraged. 
Almost like that was always an excuse to say insensitive things and not be reprimanded for it.

In my entire life I have never encountered people more eager to be victims than certain Trump supporters. For a group of people supposedly obsessed with fighting against political correctness they sure love to be outraged. 
I totally agree. Trump has made a living off of mocking others, and deserves it when he’s on the receiving end, but I don’t think it’s asking for too much to expect a little professionalism out of members of the media, especially one as self-righteous as Don Lemon. Trump doesn’t have the market cornered on hypocrisy. 

I don't watch cable news, so forgive my ignorance here. Is Lemon the equivalent of Hannity? Ingraham? Maddow? 

Users who are viewing this thread