What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Drunk in a Western film (1 Viewer)

Pick one

• Total voters

cosjobs

Footballguy
There could be a lot of candidates and I'm happy to hear them, but imo, these three are the undisputed triumvirate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good timing on the topic.  I watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance this week, which is a great western.  The Drunk newspaperman (Dutton Peabody) is one of the most over-acted roles I've ever seen. Terrible drunk. I don't know the actor, but it's bad. The rest of the movie is great. 

otb_lifer said:
... Dino was a master at acting drunk - he allowed that the great majority of time it was actually apple juice in his rock glass.   dude was sharp.  
I did hear that for long poker games he hosted he had 2 bottles of vodka, but one was really water.

Foster Brooks never seemed to work the Western circuit much. But he would have made a fine town drunk. 

My current favorite wiki quote:

"On the syndicated Steve Allen Show of the 1960s, Allen introduced Brooks as an important movie producer. Brooks stumbled on stage doing his drunk act, fooling some of the other guests. Brooks claimed to be the executive in charge of editing movies for television. His biggest success, he said, was the famous movie The Three Commandments.

His character also claimed to have invented the concept of removing clips from the movies and inserting commercials. "

Foster Brooks never seemed to work the Western circuit much. But he would have made a fine town drunk. 

My current favorite wiki quote:

"On the syndicated Steve Allen Show of the 1960s, Allen introduced Brooks as an important movie producer. Brooks stumbled on stage doing his drunk act, fooling some of the other guests. Brooks claimed to be the executive in charge of editing movies for television. His biggest success, he said, was the famous movie The Three Commandments.

His character also claimed to have invented the concept of removing clips from the movies and inserting commercials. "
Never a fan of him, but that bit about editing movies to insert commercials is brilliant.

Honorable mentions-

John Wayne’s titubating was pretty good in True Grit.

#1 for me has to be Mickey Rourke in Barfly as The Golden Horn was in LA and that’s out west.

Dino Martino was a real drunk though.  :yes:

Dean Martin was an underrated talent in many areas. As a vocalist he never got his due (“Volare” and “Canadian Sunset” are sublime recordings). He was much funnier than Jerry Lewis, was a quick wit, a good athlete (boxing/golf) and a terrific dramatic actor “Ada”, Toys In the Attic”, “Rio Bravo”, “Some Came Running” and “Mr. Ricco” are prime examples. Check out his dramatic turn in a 1964 episode of “Rawhide”, available on You Tube.

What does this mean? Simple… Dean Martin was not an alcoholic. In fact, he was usually the first one to bed so he could rise early to play golf.

It would have been pure idiocy for NBC-Universal to invest millions into a lazy drunkard. During his years with NBC 1965–1985, he continued to perform live, record, and star in major films. Does that work load coincide with a sot? Not likely. Mr. Martin was also the single, largest individual owner of RCA stock in the world, RCA being, at the time, the parent company of NBC-Universal. He was worth millions at the time of his death. A permanently inebriated clown usually isn’t a savvy investor.
https://www.quora.com/Was-Dean-Martin-really-drunk-all-the-time-Or-was-that-just-his-act

Users who are viewing this thread