What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2020 Democrat Primary/Caucus Thread*** Biden Is Your Demoractic Nominee (3 Viewers)

I wonder if you have any thoughts about the ongoing mass protests.
There is an argument that those who wanted to vote and avoid exposure to the virus were forced into a bad decision by outside forces, while those who want to avoid exposure aren't forced to participate in the protests.  It's not a perfect argument, but it's certainly a legitimate argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough situation... fingers crossed it doesn't cause a spike.  It's definitely not a good situation in the middle of a pandemic but it's not like people are just going to schedule their protests for a more convenient time. It's now or never.

It's much different than the Wisc Dem primary / GOP supreme court election (and other states) though where it's a planned event... they could have rescheduled it a few months out like NY and other states did. I'm not sure about Wisconsin specifically but I know a man in Illinois and a woman in Georgia who worked at the polls died of COVID as a result of the elections.

It's much different than the Wisc Dem primary / GOP supreme court election (and other states) though where it's a planned event... they could have rescheduled it a few months out like NY and other states did. I'm not sure about Wisconsin specifically but I know a man in Illinois and a woman in Georgia who worked at the polls died of COVID as a result of the elections.
Let's say we decide that, during a pandemic, it is wise and proper to postpone regularly-scheduled elections.  Can you think of any scenarios in which that might result in unintended consequences?

Let's say we decide that, during a pandemic, it is wise and proper to postpone regularly-scheduled elections.  Can you think of any scenarios in which that might result in unintended consequences?
Let's say we don't postpone elections and turnout is at bare minimum. Can you think of any scenarios where one of the two parties would prefer that over a high turnout?

I've been shocked at how quickly people discarded the 'social distancing' measures to participate in the protests.  It's been pounded over our heads for months, then in the blink of an eye, gone.  The overlap between supporters of the BLM protests, and people that bashed the anti-lockdown protests, must be a pretty confluent circle.  

I think the lockdown measures are important, but I also thought they would be abused to stifle protests in the event of civil unrest.  While I do think people are putting themselves at risk by participating in the protests, it's good to see people asserting the right to demonstrate peacefully.  From top to bottom- from the President to Dem Governors to Dem Mayors that oversee the most violent response in the cities- the US has been exposed as a brutal police state that never had any business exporting 'democracy' to other countries.  

On the other hand, it seems like the protests are already morphing into some sort of feelgood cops&protesters getting along thing, rather than tangible reforms on policing.  I saw a video of national guard troopers & civilians dancing to the Macarena the other day.  Also seen these videos of white people bowing down on the ground and renouncing their privilege?  There's a lot of common ground on opposition to militarized policing already, it didn't need to veer into a weird culture war.  

If anything could cause a mass outbreak of the virus it'd be mass, widespread protests in city centers.  Whether we see an outbreak or not here in a week or two will say a lot about the legitimacy of the lockdown measures, and the wisdom of holding mass protests during a pandemic..

How do you feel about this now?
How many times are you going to do this?  I've answered this the last time you did this here. (linked for your convenience since you never responded)

I will add to my previous answer that Ohio had already postponed their elections and precedent was already set.

How many times are you going to do this? 
I think it's good to remind people that finding reasons to delay regularly-scheduled elections is a bad idea, and you won't be happy about it when somebody takes the precedent you established and runs with it.

I think it's good to remind people that finding reasons to delay regularly-scheduled elections is a bad idea, and you won't be happy about it when somebody takes the precedent you established and runs with it.
Read the rest of the response... the part you neglected to include.  I've addressed the precedent part. 

I think it's good to remind people that finding reasons to delay regularly-scheduled elections is a bad idea, and you won't be happy about it when somebody takes the precedent you established and runs with it
It was a party primary at the beginning of the pandemic with little time to obtain an absentee ballot for voters who had planned to vote in person. Trying to tie this to any Trumpian BS about delaying the Presidential Election occurring 8 months after the pandemic had begun is an enormous stretch. They're not in the same ballpark.

Right.  But we were pretty much stuck with him this year. It would have been nice to actually have the chance to vote for a person we'd feel comfortable having over for dinner. 
We did - Americans chose these two guys, and it wasn’t really close.  We WANT these two.  It’s sobering.

Users who are viewing this thread