What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shannen Doherty, Stage IV now (1 Viewer)

CurlyNight

Footballguy
Very sad news. As I'm getting ready to go to my surgeon for a manual "mammogram" I see this. She battled breast cancer before and now it's back. I think she was diagnosed a year before or after me. Tough pill to swallow for sure. Hopefully she has a lot of chemo options but it doesn't change the fact that she's terminal now. 😢 Forge on pretty lady. 

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/shannen-doherty-shares-stage-breast-cancer-id-people-68737604

Just checked, she was diagnosed the first time the same year as I was.

Last edited by a moderator:
So insidious, this thing. Lost my Mary to it years ago. While i of course mourn and regret her death, it was watching her destruction by cancer that still makes such a horrible ache 20 years on.. 

Was such a small thing, a tightness noticed in a workout. She was a nurse, got on top of it quickly, took the most radical treatments. Boom - gone. Good couple years between, we got engaged (biiig step for bachelor me). Boo - back - nine spots on her rib cage. We talked, cried, talked, screamed, talked. Mary wanted her unlucky life - molested, runaway, teen sex worker, drug addict, this affliction - to end. Declined any treatment. Was undermedicated for pain because of her drug use, so she suffered mightily (i spent six figs on street drugs trying to connect the dots between allotments) til the end and the end was a horrifying 28 months in coming. 6'1, 135 when this thing came. 5'6, 70 lbs of growling misery at the end.

My sis got it 5 years ago. Found during routine checkup. Mastectomy, chemo & radiation. The peeps didn't yet require 24-hr attention so i went down (she a big bachelor too) and did the post-op stuff. Boom - gone. Tests promising every year since. Happy life, more or less. Fear echoes, but....

So insidious, this thing. Don't know Shannen Doherty. Know you a little. How much you care. I wish you every possible good result, now and always. We need you here.

ETA: Thx for the sympathy, compadres, but Mary was in the deep past. I wanted to contrast her horrible time w my sister's solid & successful combat *knock* with this insidious thing. Our friend Curly, our friend cheesy, are fighting the good fight, too. God bless 'em all.

So insidious, this thing. Lost my Mary to it years ago. While i of course mourn and regret her death, it was watching her destruction by cancer that still makes such a horrible ache. 

Was such a small thing, a tightness noticed in a workout. She was a nurse, got on top of it quickly, took the most radical treatments. Boom - gone. Good couple years between, we got engaged (biiig step for bachelor me). Boo - back - nine spots on her rib cage. We talked, cried, talked, screamed, talked. Mary wanted her unlucky life - molested, runaway, teen sex worker, drug addict - to end. Declined any treatment. Was undermedicated for pain because of her drug use, so she suffered mightily (i spent six figs on street drugs trying to connect the dots between allotments) til the end and the end was a horrifying 28 months in coming. 6'1, 135 when it came. 5'6, 70 lbs of growling misery at the end.

My sis got it 5 years ago. Found during routine checkup. Mastectomy, chemo & radiation. The peeps didn't yet require 24-hr attention so i went down (she a big bachelor too) and did the post-op stuff. Boom - gone. Tests promising every year since. Happy life, more or less. Fear echoes, but....

So insidious, this thing. Don't know Shannen Doherty. Know you a little. How much you care. I wish you every possible good result, now and always. We need you here.
Sorry about your loss. There's no way to tell who will recur. It hangs over you for life. I've seen plenty of cancer endings and it's awful. May Mary RIP and your sis remain cancer free. Xx

'saved by the bell' was an underrated classic.

decades from now, people will be enjoying the same reruns we grew up on.

history is the true judge.

Kind of weird to pick a show she wasn't in
Perhaps thinking of 90210?  Was a staple of mine along with Melrose Place in college.  Imagine it, a few guys in their late-teens, early-20's sitting around watching these shows.  We loved 'em.  

Bummer to hear about Shannen.  :(   

grateful zed said:
'saved by the bell' was an underrated classic.

decades from now, people will be enjoying the same reruns we grew up on.

history is the true judge.
No they won’t. Kids aren’t “forced” to watch shows just because that’s the only thing on. On one hand it’s cool for them but the flip side is they won’t be put into positions where they’re exposed to something that might not be in their normal wheelhouse that they may actually enjoy. 

No they won’t. Kids aren’t “forced” to watch shows just because that’s the only thing on. On one hand it’s cool for them but the flip side is they won’t be put into positions where they’re exposed to something that might not be in their normal wheelhouse that they may actually enjoy. 
this. 

my daughter may watch an hour or so of TV per week (age 14) ... culls the great majority of her entertainment online (strict supervision, of course) ... but sitting and watching hours of TV is kinda going the way of smoking cigs for the young'ns ...  nothing wrong with that, at all  :shrug:

this. 

my daughter may watch an hour or so of TV per week (age 14) ... culls the great majority of her entertainment online (strict supervision, of course) ... but sitting and watching hours of TV is kinda going the way of smoking cigs for the young'ns ...  nothing wrong with that, at all  :shrug:
This.  My kids watch a shockingly low amount of TV.  

About the only time my kids watch significant actual TV shows is road trips.  

This.  My kids watch a shockingly low amount of TV.  

About the only time my kids watch significant actual TV shows is road trips.  
My kids (7 and almost 9) used to watch a TON of TV.  Cartoons.  Sofia the First, Blaze & The Monster Machines, etc.

Now they'll only watch when their tablets (Kindle Fires) are taken away for behavior issues.

They are on YouTube ALL THE TIME.  Probably not good for their young minds.  :sadbanana:  

My kids (7 and almost 9) used to watch a TON of TV.  Cartoons.  Sofia the First, Blaze & The Monster Machines, etc.

Now they'll only watch when their tablets (Kindle Fires) are taken away for behavior issues.

They are on YouTube ALL THE TIME.  Probably not good for their young minds.  :sadbanana:  
Same at our house. I hate that they follow other people, especially the weird ones where they follow around the whole family. I often comment to them,” so you’re watching somebody else live their life Instead of you living your own?”

I put on timers for certain things, it seems to work well.  

this. 

Watching tv vs being on a phone seems about the same to me... not sure I’m following the cigs analogy 

Watching tv vs being on a phone seems about the same to me... not sure I’m following the cigs analogy 
i said "majority of her entertainment online", not "GLUED TO HER ####IN' PHONE/TABLET SCREEN" ...

she's far too busy with real life to plop her ### down and zombify out with mindless bull#### (none of her friends are screen zombies, either) ... does that clarify things?

I think the reason she chose the date 2/4 to reveal her bc came back stage 4 when it actually came back last year is because yesterday was world cancer day. Hopefully her revelation brought awareness that it can always come back at any time no matter how much money you have or what you do. Next, don't think it can't happen to you. Keep up on your appts and be seen when you feel something is off. 

She is on my death pool for this year.
Stage 4 bc doesn't mean she'll pass soon. Many do live years because they happen to have a profile where there's lots of chemos to try. They didn't reveal the details of her profile probably because only people who have gone through it would know what it all could mean. Oncs don't know for sure. If I had to bet I'd say she has more than a year. She's a fighter and won't give up. That's half the battle. Hopefully her profile of her mets isn't one that oncs have said you have less than a year to live. Odds are on her side though. No cure and it is terminal but even stage 4 treatments are working better than in the past. More people are living longer with stage 4 bc because the chemos in their arsenals are working for a long time before needing to try another. New chemos come out every year and more to come. Being on chemo the rest of your life with the horrid side effects most if not all have even on the "good" days sucks ###. I wish her well with many years ahead, because it can and does happen.

this. 

Growing up was a non school day schedule of watching tons of cartoons and game shows all morning until the soaps started. That was our cue to go outside.

Sad to see this news. I have one really fond memory of her. Shortly after college I was living in DC and we regularly went to the 4Ps, which was a great DC institution for decades. We were regulars and my future wife at the time and I were on really good terms with two main bartenders one of who was the Brother of the owner.  Our regular group shows up some random weekday night after work and they point  us to the back near the dart boards  are and that she is there. So we end up going to play darts and ended up hanging out with her and the two people she was there with until very late in the night. Remember taking Jamison shots with her. She was very cool and down to earth person. 

Users who are viewing this thread