What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mitt Romney votes to convict and remove Donald Trump (2 Viewers)

Why are you unable to accept that this might be a selfless move? That there's no ulterior motive?
Because it's Mitt Romney. It was only a few years ago the guy embarrassingly and shamefully went crawling to Trump for a shot at SecState. Every single thing he's done for decades has been with one goal in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think so?
People still remember Margaret Chase Smith to this day. And Howard Baker.
Yes I do. Nobody cares what Mitt Romney does. I agree it’s a good little life line at the moment right now for Democrats in a news cycle though. But it’s shelf last is a day at best, so enjoy!

Because it's Mitt Romney. It was only a few years ago the guy embarrassingly and shamefully went crawling to Trump for a shot at SecState. Every single thing he's done for decades has been with one goal in mind.
Yeah, I dunno - Pompeo is now Secretary of State, it's a nightmare of partisanship in a hallowed post. A lot of diplomats, career civil servants and others had to make up their mind whether to surrender the wheels of government to a mad Ahab or to try to step in to help govern. Trump continues to purge such people even to this day.

Donald Trump Jr just tweeted: he is demanding that Romney be expelled from the GOP.
Looks like Donnie Jr forgot that it's only a dictatorship on the right and that the country actually still has ways of letting the states decide who they want in office. Although I'm sure we can all expect Trump to try to propose some kind of emergency that would grant him power to make the move himself.

Yeah, I dunno - Pompeo is now Secretary of State. A lot of diplomats, career civil servants and others had to make up their mind whether to surrender the wheels of government to a mad Ahab or to try to step in to help govern. Trump continues to purge such people even to this day.
Pompeo has been on Team Trump since day one, no?

So if any Dems vote to not convict are they heroes because they are voting how they feel or are people going to make excuses why they did what they did?

I mean if Mitt is going down in history as a hero, then why should these brave Dems as well? 

Yes, you seem very excited about this news.
I am. You already know I believe that President Trump committed a high crime; that's no secret. You know I thought this impeachment trial was a sham. But beyond that, I love this sort of profile in courage. I think Romney will be remembered for this in history, and he will be seen as a man of integrity. I think its great.

So if any Dems vote to not convict are they heroes because they are voting how they feel or are people going to make excuses why they did what they did?

I mean if Mitt is going down in history as a hero, then why should these brave Dems as well? 
Mancin seems to be leaning to vote to acquit. We’ll see.

That depends on the reasons offered. To be honest, I have not yet heard a legitimate reason to acquit Donald Trump. He is obviously guilty of this high crime, and it's a damn serious crime IMO.

I am. You already know I believe that President Trump committed a high crime; that's no secret. You know I thought this impeachment trial was a sham. But beyond that, I love this sort of profile in courage. I think Romney will be remembered for this in history, and he will be seen as a man of integrity. I think its great.
Yes I do.   It has been quite a week for news.

Republicans vote against Tim's wishes:  Ulterior motives.

Republican votes with Tim:  Why must you accuse him of an ulterior motive?
It would be one thing if this was out of the blue, but Mitt has been very anti-Trump pretty much since the beginning.  I'm reasonably sure the guy ran for senate just so he could oppose Trump.

And Elon Musk sat on Trump's cabinet.

Why is it so crazy to think that someone may want to be a part of this administration to try and be a voice of reason against the chaos in it?  Sure would be nice if someone more moderate and less corrupt had put themselves out there as a candidate for AG.

Why is it so crazy to think that someone may want to be a part of this administration to try and be a voice of reason against the chaos in it?  Sure would be nice if someone more moderate and less corrupt had put themselves out there as a candidate for AG.
I agree but we're talking about Mitt Romney here.

And Elon Musk sat on Trump's cabinet.

Why is it so crazy to think that someone may want to be a part of this administration to try and be a voice of reason against the chaos in it?
Member of advisory council(s) with other CEOs. Not part of cabinet or administration

Then he should have voted for both charges.  Just goes to show Romney can’t do anything right....
Why should he have voted for both charges? I reasonable mind could conclude there is enough evidence on one charge but not the other. It happens in criminal trials all the time. 

Why should he have voted for both charges? I reasonable mind could conclude there is enough evidence on one charge but not the other. It happens in criminal trials all the time. 
This was in response to him running to the other party that obviously is in lock step on both charges.  

"Demanding" seems a bit strong. The quote:

Mitt Romney is forever bitter that he will never be POTUS. He was too weak to beat the Democrats then so he’s joining them now. He’s now officially a member of the resistance & should be expelled from the

@GOP

His tweet is exactly what’s wrong with politics today.  While I know he just a citizen and not part of the political machine his attitude unfortunately is. The fact that someone doesn’t tow the party line 100% has them being called to be expelled from the party is extremely disheartening.  

The anti-Romney takes are bizarre, IMO.

Rory Cooper has this right: "The easy path for Romney was acquittal. The politically smart path was acquittal. Many people probably told him so. There is no upside for him here other than doing what he thinks is right. And God, that's the character we want in leaders."

So does David Frum: "If you see all but one doing wrong ... and one alone standing for right ... and seeing all that, it's your impulse to snark at the one, then maybe you should check that impulse. Or even search your own conscience: when did *I* last break with *my* many to do right on *my* own?"

And Justin Amash: "Thank you, @SenatorRomney, for upholding your oath to support and defend the Constitution. You will never regret putting your faith in God and doing right according to the law and your conscience."

And Chris Murphy: “That's the hardest thing to do in the world to stand up to your party and to your friends...to just decide to do what's right. I think we all wonder whether we would make the same decision...”

His tweet is exactly what’s wrong with politics today.  While I know he just a citizen and not part of the political machine his attitude unfortunately is. The fact that someone doesn’t tow the party line 100% has them being called to be expelled from the party is extremely disheartening.  
And "a member of the resistance" sounds eerily dictator-ish to me.

Yeah, I have zero clue why Mitt did it - I have my guesses but for the most part it doesn't matter - he took a stand knowing he's going to catch hell for it and get the wrath of Trump and did it anyway.  There really is little upside for him - and for that alone it takes guts.

Yes, Mitt's foolproof plan to get elected at the age of 77 by a party whose base now hates his guts is proceeding right on schedule.
Mitt Romney is 100% running for president in 2024. Hear me now, believe me later.

The anti-Romney takes are bizarre, IMO.
Logically, sure. Emotionally? I think many conservatives are going to absolutely hate him. Because he puts them to shame. He's calling out their BS.

Last night was the absolute worst of our politics. Romney's speech was the best. This is what we've been waiting to here, lots of us. This is a "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?" moment.

I thought this was a free country, and as such, one couldn't be expelled from a political party. Also, calling an opposing party "the resistance" sounds troubling. I know for a fact that is the parties were reversed, and the GOP saw that they'd be screaming at the top of their lungs about it. However, what it does do as well is make me realize that I made the right choice opposing the GOP now. Not as a Democrat, but definitely in opposition to the GOP.

Users who are viewing this thread