Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Mitt Romney votes to convict and remove Donald Trump

timschochet

6 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

This is classic Mitt. Mitt will always let you down no mater what side of an issue he’s on.

He hasn't let anybody down.

For a week now, Republicans have been bragging that they would have a bipartisan acquittal. Instead, they got a completely partisan acquittal and a bipartisan impeachment. Which Trump absolutely didn't want. And the Republicans will continue to have to explain why they refused any witnesses, especially once Bolton's testimony is revealed.

This was a disaster for Trump and the Republicans.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

He hasn't let anybody down.

For a week now, Republicans have been bragging that they would have a bipartisan acquittal. Instead, they got a completely partisan acquittal and a bipartisan impeachment. Which Trump absolutely didn't want. And the Republicans will continue to have to explain why they refused any witnesses, especially once Bolton's testimony is revealed.

This was a disaster for Trump and the Republicans.

You actually had Bipartisan opposition to Impeachment in the house.  But we're not gonna bring that up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Not a surprise. I'm sure the majority of conservatives in Utah (which means, basically, the majority) will not look fondly on this decision. But hopefully some will respect his integrity.

What really is integrity? If some Dems voted to acquit would they also have integrity?

5 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

What really is integrity? If some Dems voted to acquit would they also have integrity?

"Yeah but what is truth...really, if you get me"

-Lionel Hutz

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

I think it's about intent.

What other reasons would there be for Romney to vote for it.....other than that he really believed? I know "cucklolding" and "Trump "Hater 4 Life"" are making the rounds right now......but I can't think of a reason as to why Romney voted for it....other than he felt it right to do so.

2 hours ago, Courtjester said:

So if any Dems vote to not convict are they heroes because they are voting how they feel or are people going to make excuses why they did what they did?

I mean if Mitt is going down in history as a hero, then why should these brave Dems as well? 

That was Pence’s ‘Profiles in Courage’ op-ed that he put out a couple weeks ago. 

It was Pence who compared Trump to Andrew Johnson.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

2 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

I think it's about intent.

What other reasons would there be for Romney to vote for it.....other than that he really believed? I know "cucklolding" and "Trump "Hater 4 Life"" are making the rounds right now......but I can't think of a reason as to why Romney voted for it....other than he felt it right to do so.

I can`t stand Romney. To me it looks like his grandstanding moment knowing his vote really meant nothing in the big picture.  Now if it was tied and he had the deciding vote I would feel different.

• Like 2

"Please proceed, Governor"...That was Barack Obama's taunt at Mitt Romney in their 2012 presidential debate.

Today, Mitt Romney proceeded into history by making him the first senator to vote to convict a president of the same party in an impeachment trial in the Senate.

As he later said:

“Do what is right, let the consequence follow.” 

:yes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

Well, it would depend.  Voting to acquit would be unpopular with Diane Feinstein's constituents, for example.  Considering she'd be nuking her seat, we might assume (absent evidence of some conflict of interest) that she voted her conscience in that instance.  For the same reason, we can probably assume that Manchin's vote to convict, which will be very unpopular with his constituents, was a vote of conscience. 

You can argue that Mitt was motivated by personal animus, I suppose, but it's very, very hard to argue that he was motivated by political expediency.  Trump is broadly popular in Utah and with registered Republicans nationwide.  Mitt has not taken policy positions to endear him to liberals.  If you were to try to convince me that Mitt was trying to serve his own political interests, I'd have to conclude that Romney is an idiot.  

13 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

I can`t stand Romney. To me it looks like his grandstanding moment knowing his vote really meant nothing in the big picture.  Now if it was tied and he had the deciding vote I would feel different.

Doesn't it mean a lot to his career as a Republican though?  It's not like he was given a blessing to do so by McConnell.  He broke ranks with his Party. 

3 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Interesting. Romney voted not guilty on the 2nd article.

No not really. Mitt is a jealous, spiteful man.  He failed where Trump succeeded. I’m quite certain he thinks himself much smarter than trump yet trump achieved what he could not, the presidency. Let’s face it, he has all the money he needs, he is in Congress only because of vanity and the fact that he ran back to Utah to win the state because he’s Mormon.

He was humiliated by Trump and wanted to get back at him so he voted yes for the first to do that. In an attempt to stain Trump. The second vote was to try to save his bacon in Utah. He can say look I voted no on one. 

and for all you who think he did it for his god, that’s BS. Perhaps you didn’t understand the part where he said he was pressured to vote no for the “team” yet he followed his conscious.  Translation:  he is saying some who believe he is innocent feel this way because of the team.  He’s a pompous fool. 

4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

And then undoubtedly the only President impeached twice.

I have zero doubts that Schiff plans to be back before the Senate saying "We told you he'd cheat in the elections.  We told you how evil he was.  You didn't listen, and now we have to come back."  And then it'll be thrown out.  Again.

Just now, jm192 said:

I have zero doubts that Schiff plans to be back before the Senate saying "We told you he'd cheat in the elections.  We told you how evil he was.  You didn't listen, and now we have to come back."  And then it'll be thrown out.  Again.

Failure to convict isn’t the same as “thrown out.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Oddly, I hear a lot of Republicans speaking as though morals and morality aren’t very important these days. 

And I hear a lot of Dems citing moral high ground while protecting the slaughter of millions of innocent unborn lives.  Morals are funny that way.

• Like 1