Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Mitt Romney votes to convict and remove Donald Trump

timschochet

6 minutes ago, jm192 said:

And I hear a lot of Dems citing moral high ground while protecting the slaughter of millions of innocent unborn lives.  Morals are funny that way.

They are. It’s almost like the disagreement on that point isn’t whether it’s okay to “slaughter millions of innocent unborn lives”.

• Like 2

Just now, Henry Ford said:

I can’t help but compare that statement to those of PETA claiming that the meat industry supports the “slaughter of millions of innocent lives.”

Yes.  Cows and Chickens raised as live stock are the same as human babies in the womb.  Great comparison.  

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

He hasn't let anybody down.

For a week now, Republicans have been bragging that they would have a bipartisan acquittal. Instead, they got a completely partisan acquittal and a bipartisan impeachment. Which Trump absolutely didn't want. And the Republicans will continue to have to explain why they refused any witnesses, especially once Bolton's testimony is revealed.

This was a disaster for Trump and the Republicans.

The a Democrats had 18 witnesses and the Republicans had zero.  They couldn’t even horse trade for one defense witness.

shameful 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

The a Democrats had 18 witnesses and the Republicans had zero.  They couldn’t even horse trade for one defense witness.

shameful 

Yet amazingly the Dems are complaining and feel they were the ones wronged, confusing isn’t it?

10 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

shameful 

Dang, if only the Senate would have allowed witnesses...

Also, there was at least one witness that testified on behalf of the GOP in the House, Prof. Turley.

10 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:
40 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I think most likely he doesn’t consider mere obstruction to be removal-worthy as it wasn’t for Clinton. 

Wow, that awesome moral compass of his sure went wonky awful quick. 

I have no idea what this means. Are you saying that everybody who voted against removal under the second article lacks a moral compass?

Just now, Maurile Tremblay said:

I have no idea what this means. Are you saying that everybody who voted against removal under the second article lacks a moral compass?

Well everyone going on about how Mitt is a hero with integrity for voting guilty on the first one. And immediately explaining away the not guilty vote on the 2nd one. Isn't it possible that Mitt and his amazing moral compass believe Trump is simply not guilty on the 2nd article?

2 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Well everyone going on about how Mitt is a hero with integrity for voting guilty on the first one. And immediately explaining away the not guilty vote on the 2nd one. Isn't it possible that Mitt and his amazing moral compass believe Trump is simply not guilty on the 2nd article?

No, it's not possible that Romney believes Trump to be innocent of obstruction. What Romney appears to believe is that obstruction (at least on these facts) doesn't warrant removal from office.

Either way, I don't see what any of that has to do with having a moral compass.

1 minute ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

No, it's not possible that Romney believes Trump to be innocent of obstruction. What Romney appears to believe is that obstruction (at least on these facts) doesn't warrant removal from office.

Either way, I don't see what any of that has to do with having a moral compass.

Because he voted that way.

24 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Yet amazingly the Dems are complaining and feel they were the ones wronged, confusing isn’t it?

Yeah, it’s almost as if, instead of focusing on a bunch of BS process arguments, the Dems are instead choosing to focus on the fact that a clearly guilty man escaped accountability due to the moral cowardice of his fellow Republicans. How weird. 

Edited by zftcg
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

He voted not guilty. Suddenly his vote isn't what he meant. When he voted guilty it meant guilty. But when he voted not guilty it suddenly means something other than not guilty?

None of us has any idea what Romney’s ultimate motivations were. Absent other evidence, we should take his own explanations at face value. And in the end his motivations don’t really matter, and I suspect most of the people citing them are just looking for a way to rationalize their own opinions. 

1 minute ago, zftcg said:

Yeah, it’s almost as if, instead of focusing on a bunch of BS process arguments, the Dems are instead choosing to focus in the fact that a clearly guilty man escaped accountability. How weird. 

You guys convicted him in a football sub forum, can always hang your hat on that I guess?

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

You guys convicted him in a football sub forum, can always hang your hat on that I guess?

Nah, I’ll choose to hang it on the fact that he’s the third president in US history to be impeached. Seems more significant than the PSF. 

• Laughing 1

16 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

He voted not guilty. Suddenly his vote isn't what he meant. When he voted guilty it meant guilty. But when he voted not guilty it suddenly means something other than not guilty?

He didn't vote not guilty. He voted to acquit (i.e., not remove).

Why do you think his vote isn't what he meant?

3 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Sigh. That's precisely my question to the Mitt-is-my-new-hero crowd.

I haven't seen anybody say his vote to acquit doesn't mean that he meant to acquit. (I do think that his vote to acquit doesn't mean that Romney believes that Trump's administration complied with all Congressional subpoenas issued to it.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, timschochet said:

IMO, he has redeemed himself and is an American hero for this. Tremendous courage. And absolutely right.

Going way out on a limb and predicting Mitt won't be your hero sometime in the near future. He will somehow have lost his newfound courage. He'll no longer be absolutely right.

If this prediction doesn't come true I'm going to be so incredibly embarrassed.

1 minute ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Going way out on a limb and predicting Mitt won't be your hero sometime in the near future. He will somehow have lost his newfound courage. He'll no longer be absolutely right.

How dare anyone praise Romney for one action and then later criticize him for an unrelated reason! Don't they know you have to be all in on politicians? You know, like Republicans with Trump?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Tim’s been a Romney guy for almost ten years. I don’t think that’s changing any time soon. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kal El said:

I thought this was a free country, and as such, one couldn't be expelled from a political party. Also, calling an opposing party "the resistance" sounds troubling. I know for a fact that is the parties were reversed, and the GOP saw that they'd be screaming at the top of their lungs about it. However, what it does do as well is make me realize that I made the right choice opposing the GOP now. Not as a Democrat, but definitely in opposition to the GOP.

You know that “for a fact” how exactly?