What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mitt Romney votes to convict and remove Donald Trump (2 Viewers)

His fate was sealed today.  He was already a huge underdog, he has no shot now.
I’m sure, and it took guts. That race will be interesting - a former prosecutor who voted to convict and a former US Attorney who was a witness and who Trump hates for (ethically) recusing.

Could be.  By in large I think Doug Jones is a good guy, I voted for him.   But he also is going to be in need of a job and this helps within the party to find that when his time is over.  He was likely out either way so one could argue he could gain some favor this way. 
Isn’t he a lawyer with his own law firm?

I’m sure, and it took guts. That race will be interesting - a former prosecutor who voted to convict and a former US Attorney who was a witness and who Trump hates for (ethically) recusing.
It won't be close.  Assuming Jeff Sessions wins the primary, and there's a lot of money flying around and ads on the air, he will smoke Doug Jones.  Trump has said nothing bad about Sessions since he said he was running and every Sessions ad shows him being the first US Senator to endorse Trump.  Sessions has more of an issue overcoming the Trump situation in the primary against Byrne and Tuberville.  Roy Moore thankfully is an afterthought.

No not really. Mitt is a jealous, spiteful man.  He failed where Trump succeeded. I’m quite certain he thinks himself much smarter than trump yet trump achieved what he could not, the presidency. Let’s face it, he has all the money he needs, he is in Congress only because of vanity and the fact that he ran back to Utah to win the state because he’s Mormon.

He was humiliated by Trump and wanted to get back at him so he voted yes for the first to do that. In an attempt to stain Trump. The second vote was to try to save his bacon in Utah. He can say look I voted no on one. 

and for all you who think he did it for his god, that’s BS. Perhaps you didn’t understand the part where he said he was pressured to vote no for the “team” yet he followed his conscious.  Translation:  he is saying some who believe he is innocent feel this way because of the team.  He’s a pompous fool. 
I agree. I immediately thought him voting guilty on the 1st article & for acquittal on the 2nd was PURELY strategic.

It doesn't matter either way, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well everyone going on about how Mitt is a hero with integrity for voting guilty on the first one. And immediately explaining away the not guilty vote on the 2nd one. Isn't it possible that Mitt and his amazing moral compass believe Trump is simply not guilty on the 2nd article?
Of course that's what he believes.  Trump's defense was much stronger on the second article because normally these types of interbranch disputes are resolved by the courts.  

Nope. One of the three Democrats in Congress who voted against impeachment even switched parties and didn’t get a thread. 
That’s because him switching parties was about getting re-elected, not about doing what was right or acting with integrity. 

MSNBC Brian Williams said someone said  Romney should oppose Trump on the Democrat ticket, somewhat jokingly. But to be truthful that would absolutely the best case scenario for me, and even though he is being praised by many today including some Democrats,  no way would the Democrats ever support a pro life candidate over President Trump

MSNBC Brian Williams said someone said  Romney should oppose Trump on the Democrat ticket, somewhat jokingly. But to be truthful that would absolutely the best case scenario for me, and even though he is being praised by many today including some Democrats,  no way would the Democrats ever support a pro life candidate over President Trump
That won't happen. Romney's platform has been so far away from the Demcratic one that it's a no-go in the primary. By far.

Regarding the Trump fans and others who have come in here and argued that Romney’s decision was meaningless: every report is that Trump was incredibly angry and disappointed because the White House was counting on no Republicans voting to convict (apparently McConnell had assured Trump of this) and that some Democrats would vote to acquit. 

So apparently Trump does not regard this as meaningless at all. 

I wish them good luck with that. 

Punish a Senator for doing his best to fulfill his constitutional duty. Great look. 

Just further makes them look like toadys and enablers for the President. Make him a Martyr. Your duty isn't to America or the consitution. It's to Donald Trump and the Republican party only. 
Just terrible posting after terrible posting.  Good work.  

The reason Romney voted in favor of witnesses is because he wanted to vote not guilty on the first. He was hoping for some reasonable doubt. The reason he voted not guilty on obstruction was because he believed that the Dems should have done all they could to compel Mulvaney and Bolton to testify while in the House and that Trump was legally in the right in his actions.

I admire Romney for his stand. But while I personally believe Trump did dangle the WH meeting and possibly the aid to an investigation into his political opponent, I don't think the Dems proved it. The should have gotten at least Bolton to testify, no matter how long it took. Romney saw it different and while I disagree with his decision, I respect it and feel it was done from the heart. It would have been much easier to just vote not guilty. I'm sure there are quite a few other Republicans that wish they had the balls to do what Romney did.

Mitt Romney cannot on his own save the Republican Party. There is no room for someone with a conscience or someone with integrity to exist in that party anyway.

Mitt Romney cannot on his own save the Republican Party. There is no room for someone with a conscience or someone with integrity to exist in that party anyway.
What do you mean by save it?

Whatever they are doing is working better than the other side right now. At least as far as staying in power goes. 

That’s because him switching parties was about getting re-elected, not about doing what was right or acting with integrity. 
As a former Mitt Romney voter, I can safely assure you if he was in any danger of losing re-election he wouldn’t have done this and he surely doesn’t have any integrity.

This is all sour grapes from Mitt on this. I hope he enjoyed feeling like he was President for a day.

Could you find me in his quote where he called anyone that?
I quoted it, so I am not sure why you can't find it.............

"Just further makes them look like toadys and enablers for the President. Make him a Martyr. Your duty isn't to America or the consitution. It's to Donald Trump and the Republican party only."

If someone dares implies Democrats are unAmerican, there is a storm of complaints.  But I guess we can debate for pages and pages about whether he actually called anyone unAmerican.  Or we can just agree it was kind of a crappy post and move on.     

When someone tries to leave the cult, what happens..
Typically they send missionaries after you knocking on your door weekly trying to preach the gospel back into you. They flood your mailbox full of their propaganda.  Is Mitch trying to leave?  

I quoted it, so I am not sure why you can't find it.............

"Just further makes them look like toadys and enablers for the President. Make him a Martyr. Your duty isn't to America or the consitution. It's to Donald Trump and the Republican party only."

If someone dares implies Democrats are unAmerican, there is a storm of complaints.  But I guess we can debate for pages and pages about whether he actually called anyone unAmerican.  Or we can just agree it was kind of a crappy post and move on.     
I can't find it...because he doesn't say anyone is unAmerican...and doesn't even imply they are unAmerican.

He states that their duty lately has been shown to be to party and Trump and not to America.  There is a decent sized difference there and, lately, by some of their actions, I would agree with him.

There doesn't need to be pages of debate...because he didn't actually say what you are accusing him of saying.

The attacks on Romney are all the more ridiculous because of the Republicans who have rebuked Trump in some way. Murkowski, Collins, Sasse, Portman, Alexander... and Sasse said that Alexander speaks for ‘lots’ of Senators. I think Graham said something similar. The difference is those Sens said Trump ‘did it’ but they just wouldn’t remove him for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find it...because he doesn't say anyone is unAmerican...and doesn't even imply they are unAmerican.

He states that their duty lately has been shown to be to party and Trump and not to America.  There is a decent sized difference there and, lately, by some of their actions, I would agree with him.

There doesn't need to be pages of debate...because he didn't actually say what you are accusing him of saying.
LOL...Yeah, I know it is SO DIFFICULT to see.  whatever

Just now at the prayer breakfast, President Trump said “I don’t like it when people use their faith to justify decisions that they know to be wrong”. 

"As everybody knows, my family, our great country and your president have been put through a terrible ordeal by some very dishonest and corrupt people they have done everything possible to destroy us and by so doing very badly hurt our nation."

Sounds to me like a man who is slowly screwing himself up to one of his eventual volcanic eruptions.  He seems to need those from time to time to get back to level, for him.

Reasonable people can see the argument for Mitt's vote.  I don't agree, but understand it.

The Democratic block vote for obstruction is an offront to the judiciary and the Constitution.  Absolutely horrific vote. Sheeple voting in action.

Reasonable people can see the argument for Mitt's vote.  I don't agree, but understand it.

The Democratic block vote for obstruction is an offront to the judiciary and the Constitution.  Absolutely horrific vote. Sheeple voting in action.
People have to leave the party or lose their seat to vote against the GOP block. Or worse.

Umm no. This isn’t the thread for it but the 2nd article was perfectly justifiable given Trump’s actions. 

the defendant declared his intent to obstruct congress before the whole thing started.

"As everybody knows, my family, our great country and your president have been put through a terrible ordeal by some very dishonest and corrupt people they have done everything possible to destroy us and by so doing very badly hurt our nation."

Sounds to me like a man who is slowly screwing himself up to one of his eventual volcanic eruptions.  He seems to need those from time to time to get back to level, for him.
So just flat out lies and whoa is me during a prayer breakfast?

Hmm...Couldn't the Republican block vote in Congress against both articles of impeachment also be considered "Sheeple in action"? 

Um.  What?

Just now at the prayer breakfast, President Trump said “I don’t like it when people use their faith to justify decisions that they know to be wrong”. 
Oh, can this also be applied to people who hide behind their Bibles in order to deny others their Constitutional rights? Asking for friends.

So do we get to insult people or not? Cause lord knows I’m ready. 
Nope. Indirectly calling him a toady was enough to get him to say it was terrible posting. That of course got him reported and now he's suspended. Good job.

if you're so ready for the insults, you're welcome to bring it and see how that goes. 

Users who are viewing this thread