What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is anyone actually giving the XFL a chance to redeem itself? (2 Viewers)

... if they start banning live attendance is anyone gonna really notice?

:shrug:
Seattle is one of the best in attendance.

Total attendance through Week 4:

1. STL: 57,081 (2 games)

2. SEA: 51,232 (2 games)

3. DAL: 35,528 (2 games)

4. HOU: 34,918 (2 games)

5. DC: 32,194 (2 games)

6. TB: 30,366 (2 games)

7. NY: 29,750 (2 games)

8. LA: 27,190 (2 games)

Seattle is one of the best in attendance.

Total attendance through Week 4:

1. STL: 57,081 (2 games)

2. SEA: 51,232 (2 games)

3. DAL: 35,528 (2 games)

4. HOU: 34,918 (2 games)

5. DC: 32,194 (2 games)

6. TB: 30,366 (2 games)

7. NY: 29,750 (2 games)

8. LA: 27,190 (2 games)

:sarcasm: down?

Seattle concessions vendor tests positive for coronavirus.  
I just saw a stat that the Sounders drew 33,000 yesterday which was their smallest home crowd since 2009. 

It looks like the virus fear is going to have a real effect on Seattle for all sports and will probably get worse before it gets better.

this Vipers game in LA is so bad.
I have no idea what they will announce for attendance but in terms of butts in seats, it is the least I have seen.  There are entire sections that are tarped off and the camera has not shown the upper deck from my limited viewing, which might be very sparse.

It looks like less than 10k to me but butts in seats in not what they announce (they announce tickets distributed, like all other American leagues do) so the real number is kind of meaningless I guess since we won't ever know.

I don't think this is a virus fear issue since this exact same stadium was sold out last night for the Galaxy.

Last edited by a moderator:
4th and 1, one possession game, best running game in the league and Trestman kicks a FG. Now down 14. How is he so bad at this. 

The plan(I know, plans change) is for the XFL to operate for 3 years, and then see what's going to happen with it.

I’ll be interested to see what they do in the playoffs. I’m not really a football guy, but I’m a competition guy. And I’ll usually watch anything where one team gets eliminated. 

I’ll be interested to see what they do in the playoffs. I’m not really a football guy, but I’m a competition guy. And I’ll usually watch anything where one team gets eliminated. 
What?  What kind of red-blooded American male DOESN'T LIKE FOOTBALL? 

What are you, some kind of COMMUNIST, PINKO ROOSKIE?????

The Washington Governor is about to announce that all gatherings in Seattle over 250 people will be banned.  This will effect MLB, MLS and XFL in the city.

The Washington Governor is about to announce that all gatherings in Seattle over 250 people will be banned.  This will effect MLB, MLS and XFL in the city.
The poor XFL.  What were the chances that the city with on of the best attendances and following would end up being the epicenter to the US outbreak?  I mean, I could understand if it was LA or NYC.  But Seattle?  How unfortunately random is that?

The poor XFL.  What were the chances that the city with on of the best attendances and following would end up being the epicenter to the US outbreak?  I mean, I could understand if it was LA or NYC.  But Seattle?  How unfortunately random is that?
Washington has a pretty large Asian population which may have brought it back with them via travel to and from Asia.

All active sports leagues across the world are going to be taking a financial hit.  The difference being that the hit is spread across a large ownership base where as in the XFL you only have one owner.

I have to assume that even in the XFL's worst case financial projections, they had no ability to forecast something like this Virus issue coming up.

Washington has a pretty large Asian population which may have brought it back with them via travel to and from Asia.
No, I get that.  I'm just saying when the XFL picked their locations 3 years ago, there's no way to know that your best city would also be the hotspot for a global pandemic.  :lol:  

All active sports leagues across the world are going to be taking a financial hit.  The difference being that the hit is spread across a large ownership base where as in the XFL you only have one owner.

I have to assume that even in the XFL's worst case financial projections, they had no ability to forecast something like this Virus issue coming up.
I like to think in the meeting, when they asked about worst case scenarios, one guy said, "What about if a global virus starts to infect the world?"  Then they all laughed at him.  And right now, he's walking around asking everyone, "Hey, who was it who brought up the global pandemic that everyone laughed at?"  Then walks away smiling ear to ear.

I like to think in the meeting, when they asked about worst case scenarios, one guy said, "What about if a global virus starts to infect the world?"  Then they all laughed at him.  And right now, he's walking around asking everyone, "Hey, who was it who brought up the global pandemic that everyone laughed at?"  Then walks away smiling ear to ear.
The smile of course lasting only as long as it takes him to realize that he might be out of a job due to being correct.....

NewlyRetired said:
The smile of course lasting only as long as it takes him to realize that he might be out of a job due to being correct.....
And he dies from the coronavirus.  I mean, that's like an O. Henry story right there.  We should sell this!

Tough weekend for the XFL.  Both attendance and ratings hit their low point for the season.  As mentioned above, we know attendance is going to have issues outside of the XFL's control going forward.

The TV ratings are much more of a concern for long term viability.  Because the bottom has still not been found, it is hard to make any judgements.   Even with the consecutive week over week drops since the beginning, the viewership is still decent, even at the low point.  But they have to find bottom soon and stabilize.

The average viewership drop has been as follows, across all networks:

Week 1 to Week 2: -35.9%

Week 2 to Week 3: -21.8%

Week 3 to Week 4: -14%

Week 4 to Week 5: -16%

I've enjoyed watching Roughnecks games, but only because Houston is so good, relatively speaking. I doubt I would be watching any of the other teams regularly.

With the NBA and MLS now having suspended their seasons, I assume the NHL and XFL will be following shortly.

The XFL has the toughest call of all the leagues currently playing because they don't control their own venues and rescheduling games could be difficult especially with the tv slots they have.

With the NBA and MLS now having suspended their seasons, I assume the NHL and XFL will be following shortly.

The XFL has the toughest call of all the leagues currently playing because they don't control their own venues and rescheduling games could be difficult especially with the tv slots they have.
and they only have a 10 game season. Even taking a 1 month break reduces it to just a 6 week season. Sad for the XFL and hopefully they can overcome this (likely) setback.

I read that the Seattle game will be played in an empty stadium (queue the "if a tree falls in the forest" joke ;) ) but maybe that's a path to finishing the season. Televised only games across the league unless someone in the XFL (players, staff, etc) is actually diagnosed. hmmm...

and they only have a 10 game season. Even taking a 1 month break reduces it to just a 6 week season. Sad for the XFL and hopefully they can overcome this (likely) setback.

I read that the Seattle game will be played in an empty stadium (queue the "if a tree falls in the forest" joke ;) ) but maybe that's a path to finishing the season. Televised only games across the league unless someone in the XFL (players, staff, etc) is actually diagnosed. hmmm...
Financially that is hard to make the numbers work.

They get no money from TV so they live on game day revenue.  Renting the stadiums are a massive cost usually offset with some game day revenue.  

If you have zero game day revenue and zero tv dollars, that is going to significantly accelerate lowering what ever nest egg Vince has intended for the league.

There is no good answer for any league to be honest, it is a financial nightmare across the board.

I did mention in another thread that I thought it was ironic that the one league (the NFL) that could withstand playing in empty stadiums is the one league that may not have to deal with this at all if things clear up in the coming months.

Season cancelled. Good luck with XFL 3.0 in 2040, Vince 
so sad. I noticed the update I got said "regular season games" so maybe there's a (slim) chance that they come back, take the best 4 teams, and have 2 weekends of playoffs.

So sad for this little minor league. I hope they can return next year and beyond.

so sad. I noticed the update I got said "regular season games" so maybe there's a (slim) chance that they come back, take the best 4 teams, and have 2 weekends of playoffs.

So sad for this little minor league. I hope they can return next year and beyond.
Nevermind. Just saw update that XFL is allowing players to sign with NFL teams after they finish their exit physical tomorrow. Season 1 is dead

This is very good.  I wasn't sure how they would handle this (specifically the players)

====================

Despite the cancellation, the league said all players will be paid their base pay and benefits for the regular season, while ticket holders will receive refunds or credit toward future games.

You know what is really strange about all of this?  Every league that suspended play stated the Virus was the specific reason.

The XFL's short statement did not make one mention of the virus....Maybe since they went last today, they figured every one would know...

@KonnorFulk_XFL: The #XFL has suspended its Day to Day operations effective immediately and all team and league employees have been terminated

The statement was read to employees through a conference call by League President Jeffrey Pollack. No questions were taken. Call lasted all of 10 minutes

See ya in 10 years when some rich dopes decide to throw away millions on a Spring football pipe-dream again..

See ya in 10 years when some rich dopes decide to throw away millions on a Spring football pipe-dream again..
To be fair, the circumstances behind the death of XFL 2.0 are FAR different from what killed the others. This one had a fair start; it was not given a chance to succeed. 

To be fair, the circumstances behind the death of XFL 2.0 are FAR different from what killed the others. This one had a fair start; it was not given a chance to succeed. 
Of course. But in reality (and I think McMahon knows this, which is why he shut down today) it almost certainly would have failed anyway. 

Guessing Vince has had a lot of time to think lately and saw the writing on the wall.  This whole situation has given him a nice excuse to give up right away rather than trudge on for multiple years like he said he was going to this time.

Assume the wwf not having attendance is costing him tens of millions as well. WrestleMania alone had to be an enormous lost. Can’t really blame the guy. 

In retrospect - and I think we all knew this in advance - it was an awful product.  Was there anything memorable about it?  Any games stand out?  Players?  Highlights?  

Victim of circumstance for sure but this brand of football was atrocious.  I wanted to believe. I researched and wagered on games, but they just sucked.  Even with money riding on the outcomes.  It's impossible to recreate the real thing. NFL and College Football are kings for a reason.  

Users who are viewing this thread