What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (2 Viewers)

Rookie receivers Brandon Aiyuk and Jauan Jennings impressing Trent Taylor, 49ers teammates

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138752-rookie-receivers-brandon-aiyuk-jennings-impressing-taylor-teammates/

The San Francisco 49ers drafted two wide receivers in April — Brandon Aiyuk in the first round and Jauan Jennings in the seventh. Both could find themselves becoming significant contributors this season.

Aiyuk and Jennings are certainly getting in some work during these early training camp practices with Deebo Samuel (foot) and Richie James Jr. (hand) sidelined. Both have impressed their new teammates.

Aiyuk had an attention-grabbing catch during Sunday's practice when he got a step past cornerback Jason Verrett and hauled in an over-the-shoulder pass along the sideline from quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

"I think he's a real intelligent guy," Trent Taylor said of Aiyuk during a video conference call after practice. "He's got his head on straight, the type of guy who's never too high on the highs or too low on the lows. I think, from what we've seen so far, he's been picking everything up pretty well, and he could end up being a great piece for us."

Taylor was also asked about Jennings, who sounds just as focused.

"We ran one-on-ones for the first time today," Taylor said, "and he made some great plays, ran some filthy routes out there. And I think it shocked all of us, the type of route-running ability that he actually has.

"I think he has great patience off the line, and he's not a guy that gets too flustered when he gets caught in a bad situation in a route. I think he just keeps his head on the same level — not too high, not too low. I think he just loves the game of football, and that's what helps him out."

49ers rookie Javon Kinlaw a ‘man amongst boys,’ impressing his new teammates

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138746-49ers-rookie-javon-kinlaw-amongst-impressing-new-teammates/

Rookie defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw is making a good first impression on his new San Francisco 49ers teammates. The first-round pick has stood out during the team's two practices, and that isn't just because of his play during drills.

Kinlaw is just massive and easy to spot while mixed in with all the 49ers players on the practice fields at the SAP Performance Facility.

"I'm glad to have another South Carolina guy on the D-line, on the team, period," defensive tackle D.J. Jones told reporters on Sunday via a video conference call. "I think that makes three now. He's a man amongst boys. He's got so much potential. He's strong as an ox, and I can't wait to see him suit up and play."

Running back Jerick McKinnon has been impressed by what he's seen from the rookie defender and doesn't expect to see a defensive-line drop-off in 2020.

"We lost [DeForest Buckner], but we added Kinlaw, and he's probably one of the biggest humans I've ever seen," McKinnon said. "He has a big upper body, big lower body, big quads. Everything on him is just big. But that D-line is definitely the toughest in the league, by far."

Linebacker Kwon Alexander agrees. He can't wait for Monday when 49ers players finally take part in their first padded practice.

"That whole D-line is going crazy. It's still the same," Alexander said on Sunday. "The coach still got them going crazy up front. We just can't wait to get these pads on so we really can see what's going on, how those guys work together, so we can work off them."

In WTF news....

Spencer Long retires, three days after signing with 49ers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/16/spencer-long-retires-three-days-after-signing-with-49ers/

Veteran offensive lineman Spencer Long didn’t last long in San Francisco.

The 49ers announced today that they have placed Long on the reserve/retired list, just three days after they signed him.

There was no immediate word on why Long decided to retire.

The 29-year-old Long was cut by the Bills on August 4 and reports quickly linked him to the 49ers. He was officially signed by San Francisco on August 13, and now he’s leaving the team on August 16.

A 2014 third-round draft pick, Long played his first four seasons in Washington and then played for the Jets in 2018 and the Bills in 2019.

Remember Bruce Miller? He signed with the Jaguars Saturday after being out of the NFL the past three seasons. What’s the connection in Jacksonville, you ask? Former 49ers general manager Trent Baalke is the Director Of Pro Personnel for the Jaguars. In 2016, Miller was accused of beating a father and son in September 2016 while drunkenly attempting to enter the wrong hotel room at the Marriott Fisherman’s Wharf. Miller faced felony charges, including assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, and criminal threats.

:lmao: @ Baalke

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember Bruce Miller? He signed with the Jaguars Saturday after being out of the NFL the past three seasons. What’s the connection in Jacksonville, you ask? Former 49ers general manager Trent Baalke is the Director Of Pro Personnel for the Jaguars. In 2016, Miller was accused of beating a father and son in September 2016 while drunkenly attempting to enter the wrong hotel room at the Marriott Fisherman’s Wharf. Miller faced felony charges, including assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, and criminal threats.

:lmao: @ Baalke
Not sure why the laughing at Baalke for that one. Miller was a 7th rounder who turned into an excellent lead blocker. Can’t really blame Baalke for Miller being a psycho a few years later. 

I prefer to scoff at the entire 2012 draft 

Edit to add I actually read the whole post now. Didn’t even know Baalke was with the Jags. 

Not sure why the laughing at Baalke for that one. Miller was a 7th rounder who turned into an excellent lead blocker. Can’t really blame Baalke for Miller being a psycho a few years later. 

I prefer to scoff at the entire 2012 draft 

Edit to add I actually read the whole post now. Didn’t even know Baalke was with the Jags. 
Just laughing at Baalke for bringing in a guy from one of his drafts that hasn't played in 4 years. Also, I cant believe he actually got a front office job in the NFL after his stint in SF.

Edit: I liked Miller. He played college ball down here in Orlando.

How did this guy stay healthy in college? SMH

Jalen Hurd undergoing MRI for what is believed to be a ‘major knee injury’

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138771-49ers-news-jalen-hurd-undergoing-believed-major-injury/

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Jalen Hurd went down on Sunday with what looked like a foot injury during some work on a side field with a strength coach. He spent a few minutes on the ground and then walked gingerly to the locker room for more observations.

Initial reports from those who observed the incident indicated that the injury might not be serious. The 49ers, however, failed to comment on the injury.

Mike Garafolo and Ian Rapoport of NFL Network are reporting that the injury may be more serious than initially believed. Hurd is undergoing an MRI this morning for what Garafolo says is "believed to be a major knee injury." The fear is that the second-year receiver may have suffered a torn ACL.

49ers' Trent Williams looks dominant in head-to-head meetings with Nick Bosa

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-trent-williams-looks-dominant-head-head-meetings-nick-bosa?amp&__twitter_impression=true.

Williams and Bosa lined up against each other for nearly all of the 49ers’ first-team vs. first-team practice snaps during the 49ers’ first padded practice of training camp on Monday. That matchup figures to be a daily must-see competition featuring two of the best in the game.

“Watching those two go together is pretty cool,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said on Monday. “They had two one-on-one reps (Sunday) and split them. It’s fun to watch them adjust to each other.

“Trent hasn’t played in a little bit, but he doesn’t look like it. His skillset is still there. Everything is still there. We just got to get him in football shape, along with pretty much everyone else on our team right now.”

Williams was the clear head-to-head winner on Monday.

Once he got his hands on Bosa, Williams made sure he did not go anywhere. Williams locked up Bosa in pass protection to allow Garoppolo plenty of time to deliver a deep completion to Kendrick Bourne near the end of practice. On nine one-on-one pass-rush situations, Williams did not allow a quarterback pressure.

Considering the 49ers already know that Bosa is one of the best in the league at his position, it must be considered good news that Williams won the day so early in his return to the game.

Bosa owes a lot of his rookie success to the training camp competitions and post-practice discussions with 49ers All-Decade left tackle Joe Staley.

So when Staley retired and the 49ers concurrently acquired Williams in a trade from Washington, it offered Bosa another opportunity to elevate his game with work against a teammate.

Bosa and Williams have looked forward to going up against each in training camp for quite a while. And it appeared both benefitted from their first real exposure to each other in activities that will be the closest each other gets to real game experience before the start of the regular season.

Williams said recently that he expected his daily work against Bosa to get him ready for the season after sitting out all of last year.

"He's going to be a pivotal tool for me to use to knock the rust off," Williams said earlier this month. "Probably one of the biggest challenges that I can face all year is Nick. I think he's one of the top four or five rushers in the game."

49ers 8/18 practice: Dante Pettis solid, Ben Garland ankle injury, Fred Warner’s big hit

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138822-49ers-practice-dante-pettis-solid-garland-injury-warners/

Wide receiver Dante Pettis reportedly had his strongest period of training camp during 11-on-11 drills. He had five catches over the middle. Two came from Jimmy Garoppolo, another two from Nick Mullens, and one from C.J. Beathard. That's good news for the young wideout who struggled in his second NFL season. 

"Nothing spectacular, but good, solid day for Dante Pettis. He found soft spots in the zone off play-action," added David Lombardi. (The Athletic)

Running backs Jerick McKinnon and Raheem Mostert had big runs. Cornerback Richard Sherman rested during most of the team drills

Rookie receiver Brandon Aiyuk had an impressive play. "Caught a quick pass towards the middle, stopped, turned and broke outside where there was space for a big gain," wrote Chris Biderman

Linebacker Fred Warner had a big hit on wide receiver Tavon Austin, forcing an incompletion. "Both players were OK. Warner's fellow defenders showed him a lot of love on the sideline in the minutes after," wrote Lombardi. (The Athletic)

Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh had a different reaction to the hit from Warner.

"I'm going to be very, very honest," Saleh said after practice, "Kyle and myself, all of us, we're very, very stern with protecting one another and taking care of the team. So my first reaction when he hits his teammate is, is the offensive player alright? ... Not much fun on that one, I'm not going to lie to you."

While rookie defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw had some luck against rookie offensive lineman Colton McKivitz, he is having a tougher time against veteran guard Laken Tomlinson, as expected. Nick Wagoner notes that Tomlinson is making it tough on the rookie defender. (ESPN

Ben Garland suffered an ankle injury early during practice, which gave Daniel Brunskill an opportunity for some first-team reps at center. Garland watched the rest of the practice from the sideline, and the 49ers later reported that he suffered an ankle injury. "His status is uncertain at this stage, pending further observation," notes Matt Maiocco. (Sacramento Bee, NBC Sports Bay Area)

Jerick McKinnon embarrassing 49ers linebackers in training camp

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138994-jerick-mckinnon-embarrassing-49ers-linebackers-training-camp/

There are a lot of people inside the San Francisco 49ers' facility rooting for Jerick McKinnon. There are a lot of people outside of it doing the same. The running back has yet to take a regular-season snap since signing with the team in March of 2018.

An ACL injury ended his first season with the 49ers before it started — about a week before it began, in fact. A setback a year later forfeited his 2019 campaign.

Now, McKinnon may be back to form. He looks like the player head coach Kyle Shanahan envisioned when he sought to make him a featured part of the offense two years ago.

It wasn't too long ago that many questioned whether or not McKinnon would make the roster. Now, he is embarrassing his defensive teammates during one-on-one competitions.

"None of the team's linebackers can keep up with running back Jerick McKinnon in this drill," wrote Matt Barrows of The Athletic. "He first shook Fred Warner, then did the same to Dre Greenlaw. He juked Azeez Al-Shaair so badly that the linebacker fell down, allowing McKinnon an especially easy catch-and-run."

That's good news for everyone rooting for McKinnon to prove his doubters wrong. Teammates can't help but praise the running back whenever asked about him.

"Jet brings a little bit of everything," quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo said this past week. "He's a unique running back. ... He sees the field very similar to a quarterback, and that's a cool part because when it's a soft zone, he'll feel the spot and get to the spot where you want him to, and he sees it the same way as me."

One of the other linebackers chasing down McKinnon on the practice field has been equally impressed with the running back.

"He's been nice. He's been working real hard, been grinding," linebacker Kwon Alexander said last weekend. "You can tell when he gets out there, his cuts is precise. Everything is on-point. He's just moving, trying to get back under himself. Everybody can see it. He's been doing his thing over the offseason."

McKinnon is trying to move past the disappointment of the past two seasons. He is staying positive and embracing the future rather than dwelling on the past. Getting to this point was far from easy, though.

"It is one of those things that you kind of want to put behind you," McKinnon recently said. "It was a dark time, and I found myself in a dark place, at moments, but I'm past that point.

"I'm here to play football. I'm here to get better each and every day, and I'm just here to compete. That's the main focus — just compete, win the day, stack the days, and keep moving."

Jason Verrett clocks speed of 22.2 mph during 49ers training camp

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138985-jason-verrett-clocks-speed-during-49ers-training-camp/

Verrett is among those competing for the right to start opposite Richard Sherman. The GPS device embedded in his shoulder pads recently clocked a speed of 22.2 mph during training camp, according to Matt Barrows of The Athletic. A similar device recorded him hitting a mark of 22.5 mph with the Chargers in 2014.

"I was definitely happy with that," Verrett told Barrows on Saturday. "After all the surgeries that I've been through, just being able to get to the 21 and the 22 (mph) mark. And I definitely credit the strength coaching staff for getting me back to those speed marks."

Verrett has been solid in training camp. While Emmanuel Moseley, who started against the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LIV, is considered the frontrunner for the job opposite Sherman, Verrett is garnering a lot of attention from coaches.

"Verrett has a new confidence," defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said this week.

We'll have to wait and see if his training camp outings are enough to unseat Moseley and fend off Ahkello Witherspoon.

‘Too big of a risk’: Kyle Shanahan has no plans for live tackling during 49ers training camp

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138969-risk-kyle-shanahan-plans-tackling-during-49ers-training/

San Francisco 49ers head coach doesn't typically like to employ live tackling during practices, and that won't change this year, even without preseason games. Usually, that's where players will fine-tune things, along with it being an opportunity for roster bubble guys to get noticed with a hard hit or two.

Shanahan had considered adding some tackling in training camp to offset the loss of the preseason. However, the coach spoke with reporters after Saturday's practice and confirmed that wouldn't happen. It's just too risky. Several injuries have already struck the team. Why add another opportunity?

"I planned on it, going into camp, but I still feel things out each day and how it's going," Shanahan said. "Right now, I'd be very surprised if I do. It's not worth it with not having enough guys."

NFL teams are carrying 80 players in training camp rather than the typical 90-man rosters.

"I'm trying to get these guys all prepared with 10 less than usual," Shanahan continued, "especially when you bring in the PUP (physically-unable-to-perform) guys and the guys who do get these injuries that take them out for a couple of days -- how hard it is to prepare a team.

"When you do tackle and stuff, it risks so many other guys getting hurt, and right now, I think that's too big of a risk. We'll see if that changes. I look at everything each day and try to feel out where our team is, but as of now, I don't plan on doing any full tackling."

Kyle Shanahan-Dante Pettis relationship fixed, is 'two-way street'

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/kyle-shanahan-dante-pettis-relationship-fixed-two-way-street

SANTA CLARA — 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan had high expectations for Dante Pettis after a solid rookie season in 2018. 

The University of Washington product caught 27 of his 45 targets for 467 yards and five touchdowns. That gave Pettis a whopping 17.3 yards per reception. Shanahan believed drafting Pettis in the second round of the 2018 draft was going to pay off. 

Pettis’ sophomore campaign, however, did not live up to expectations. The receiver only managed 11 receptions for 109 yards and two touchdowns. Frustrated with his performances, Shanahan designated Pettis as one of the seven inactive players for Super Bowl LIV. 

On Friday, Pettis admitted that taking Shanahan’s criticism personally had a negative effect on him. Now that the two have cleared the air, the head coach believes they will have a better relationship moving forward

“Dante and I had a pretty good talk when he came back,” Shanahan said. “Our goal in everything is to get a guy better and there's thousands of ways we can do that. You better not do the same thing with each person. 

“I knew Dante came in a little bit behind last year and I tried everything I could to try to get that fire and I didn't get that done last year with him. I do see that as a two-way street.” 

The plan for Pettis in 2019 was for him to be heavily involved in the offense as well as in the kick return game. His NCAA record for most punt returns for touchdowns (9) was definitely part of his appeal coming out of college. Unfortunately for Pettis and the 49ers, neither happened. 

Shanahan’s intentions are always to get the best from his players. In the case of Pettis, he hopes to successfully move forward, and their open conversation likely got the ball rolling.

“I love how Dante came back and accepted his part in it, but I also accept mine,” Shanahan said. “I’ve got to find a better way to get it out of him. What's cool is, I think he's found a way to get it out of himself right now.

“I don't like having to worry about whether I'm going too hard or how I'm saying it. I just want to say it as good as I can. Usually if guys trust you in that way, you can get that across to them. I think both of us are getting better at that right now.”

Sonofa...

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139002-49ers-injury-brandon-aiyuk-reynolds-practice-apparent-injuries/

The San Francisco 49ers had a few key players leave Sunday's practice early due to apparent injuries. Below are those who had to depart, according to NBC Sports Bay Area.

Wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk left practice with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

"He pulled up on a deep route (after a Jimmy Garoppolo-thrown pass) and grabbed back of his left leg," wrote Matt Maiocco. "He's been having a very impressive camp."

Nick Wagoner of ESPN adds that defensive end Dee Ford also left practice with an injury. He did not take part in 11-on-11 drills at all.

Jake Hutchinson of KNBR adds that Ford pulled up holding his right calf/ankle after a 1-on-1 rep against right tackle Mike McGlinchey.

Offensive lineman Ross Reynolds sustained a leg injury during 11-on-11 drills and was carted off the field.

"Hopefully, it's not as bad as it looked," said right tackle Mike McGlinchey after practice.

We await official updates from the 49ers. Players have Monday off and will return to the practice field on Tuesday morning.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139072-49ers-shanahan-provides-injury-updates-brandon-several-others/#click=https://t.co/z0xfIW0FV8

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan spoke with reporters after Tuesday's practice and provided several injury updates.

Wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk was among several players who left practice on Sunday with an injury. He was running a deep route down the right sideline, pulled up, grabbing at his left hamstring, and headed to the sideline, where he remained for the remainder of practice.

Shanahan said an MRI revealed a mild hamstring strain, and Aiyuk is week-to-week.

Defensive end Nick Bosa has not practiced since last Friday. He has missed three practices since then. Shanahan said that an MRI revealed a muscle strain in his leg, and he is week-to-week.

Defensive end Dee Ford left for the sideline on Sunday after one 1-on-1 rep against tackle Mike McGlinchey. He suffered a calf irritation and is day-to-day.

Running back Raheem Mostert was among those who did not practice on Tuesday. He received a veteran day off.

Shanahan also provided an update on wide receiver Deebo Samuel, who is rehabbing from a Jones fracture suffered in June. The coach remains hopeful the second-year player will be available for Week 1, but nothing is certain at this point.

49ers injury news: Kyle Shanahan provides updates on George Kittle, Kyle Juszczyk, Richard Sherman, Ross Reynolds, others

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139156-injury-shanahan-provides-updates-juszczyk-richard-sherman-reynolds/

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan provided the following injury updates after Thursday's walk-through.

Tight end George Kittle is dealing with a tight hamstring, leading to his lighter-than-usual workload on Wednesday.

"He checked out alright, but it was tight, so we took him out of there before something bad happened," Shanahan said.

Another tight end, Ross Dwelley, is dealing with foot issues and a little bit of pain, which are improving. He is day-to-day and isn't expected to practice on Friday when the team conducts a session on the Levi's Stadium field. Shanahan is hopeful of getting Dwelley back for next week.

"He scared us for a little bit because of how much it was hurting him, but it's improving pretty rapidly right now," Shanahan said. "We're feeling more optimistic about that, right now."

Fullback Kyle Juszczyk is dealing with a hamstring strain and is week-to-week.

Safety Marcell Harris "rolled his ankle a little bit, missed a practice," and is day-to-day. He participated in Thursday's walk-through and should practice on Friday.

Offensive lineman Ross Reynolds suffered a bone bruise in his leg. It certainly looked worse when Reynolds had to be carted off the practice field on Sunday.

"He's going to be able to recover from it," Shanahan shared. "... An extremely painful thing, very scary for him, but he didn't tear anything up or break anything, so it's going to be a lot better than how it looked out there at the time."

Center Ben Garland remains week-to-week with an ankle injury, which Shanahan says is worse than some of the others dealing with similar injuries.

"He's looking good on the side, and hopefully, that will continue," Shanahan added.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29779921/san-francisco-49ers-put-fred-warner-reserve-covid-19-list

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Fred Warner has been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced Monday.

Warner is the third member of the 49ers to go on the list, which is for players who either test positive for the coronavirus or have been in close contact with someone who has had it. Teams are not allowed to disclose whether the player tested positive

The Niners had gone most of camp without any additions to the reserve/COVID-19 list. Receiver Richie James and running back Jeff Wilson started off on the list; both have since been activated.

Warner did not practice Sunday, after which defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said there was no concern about an injury to Warner, linebacker Dre Greenlaw or defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw, all of whom did not participate in the session.

Warner is considered one of San Francisco's best players after a breakthrough 2019 season in which he posted 118 tackles, three sacks, an interception and three forced fumbles. NFL players voted Warner the 70th-best player in the league going into this season.

49ers create more salary-cap space with Dee Ford restructure

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139443-49ers-create-salary-cap-space-converting-fords-salary-bonus/

The San Francisco 49ers have reportedly created more salary-cap space by converting pass rusher Dee Ford's base salary into a signing bonus, according to Field Yates of ESPN. How much cap space does that create? $9.5 million, per Yates.

David Lombardi of The Athletic reports the move puts the 49ers at about $18 million in salary-cap space for this season, giving the team much more wiggle room as it heads into Week 1.

Ford was scheduled to earn a base salary of $13.65 million this season, according to Over The Cap, and count nearly $16 million against the salary cap.

Over The Cap had the 49ers listed with about $8.5 million in salary-cap space before the move. It has prompted speculation as to why the move was made. Is San Francisco targeting an addition, looking to lock up one of its own players who is on the last year of a deal, or simply looking to create for salary-cap options for an unpredictable 2021 offseason?

From Lombardi on Twitter:

David Lombardi @LombardiHimself

Cap space 49ers don’t use in '20 will carry over and be part of their available '21 sum. And in '21, 49ers’ liabilities were already crunched up against a potential $175 million cap — without any FAs re-signed. Not necessarily a pending signing. 49ers need space for '21.

49ers create more salary-cap space with Dee Ford restructure

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139443-49ers-create-salary-cap-space-converting-fords-salary-bonus/

The San Francisco 49ers have reportedly created more salary-cap space by converting pass rusher Dee Ford's base salary into a signing bonus, according to Field Yates of ESPN. How much cap space does that create? $9.5 million, per Yates.

David Lombardi of The Athletic reports the move puts the 49ers at about $18 million in salary-cap space for this season, giving the team much more wiggle room as it heads into Week 1.

Ford was scheduled to earn a base salary of $13.65 million this season, according to Over The Cap, and count nearly $16 million against the salary cap.

Over The Cap had the 49ers listed with about $8.5 million in salary-cap space before the move. It has prompted speculation as to why the move was made. Is San Francisco targeting an addition, looking to lock up one of its own players who is on the last year of a deal, or simply looking to create for salary-cap options for an unpredictable 2021 offseason?

From Lombardi on Twitter:

David Lombardi @LombardiHimself

Cap space 49ers don’t use in '20 will carry over and be part of their available '21 sum. And in '21, 49ers’ liabilities were already crunched up against a potential $175 million cap — without any FAs re-signed. Not necessarily a pending signing. 49ers need space for '21.
I'm not really following why this is so advantageous.  Wouldn't they have been better off eating Ford's salary this year, and being able to cut him loose and totally get off his deal next offseason?  

So here is the 49ers’ 53-man roster:

QUARTERBACKS (3): Jimmy Garoppolo, Nick Mullens, C.J. Beathard

RUNNING BACKS (5): Raheem Mostert, Tevin Coleman, Jerick McKinnon, Jeff Wilson Jr., Kyle Juszczyk.

WIDE RECEIVERS (6): Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk, Kendrick Bourne, Trent Taylor, Dante Pettis, Richie James Jr.

TIGHT ENDS (4): George Kittle, Jordan Reed, Ross Dwelley, Charlie Woerner.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (8): Trent Williams, Laken Tomlinson, Ben Garland, Daniel Brunskill, Mike McGlinchey, Justin Skule, Colton McKivitz, Tom Compton.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (9): Nick Bosa, Javon Kinlaw, D.J. Jones, Arik Armstead, Dee Ford, Solomon Thomas, Kerry Hyder, Kentavius Street, Kevin Givens.

LINEBACKERS (6): Fred Warner, Kwon Alexander, Dre Greenlaw, Azeez Al-Shaair, Mark Nzeocha, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles.

SAFETIES (4): Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Tarvarius Moore, Marcell Harris.

CORNERBACKS (5): Richard Sherman, Emmanuel Moseley, K’Waun Williams, Ahkello Witherspoon, Jason Verrett.

SPECIALISTS (3): Robbie Gould, Mitch Wishnowsky, Kyle Nelson.

These were the cuts:

DL Alex Barrett

WR River Cracraft

S Johnathan Cyprien

DL Darrion Daniels

LB Evan Foster

OL Hroniss Grasu

TE MarQueis Gray

TE Chase Harrell

CB Tim Harris Jr.

RB JaMycal Hasty

FB Josh Hokit

WR Jauan Jennings

CB Dontae Johnson

OL Jaryd Jones-Smith

DL Dion Jordan

DL Cameron Malveaux

S Jared Mayden

WR Shawn Poindexter

OL Dakoda Shepley

OL William Sweet

CB Jamar Taylor

LB Joe Walker

WR Kevin White

Full 16 member practice squad 

WR River Cracraft

S Johnathan Cyprien

DL Darrion Daniels

OL Hroniss Grasu

TE Chase Harrell

CB Tim Harris Jr.

RB JaMycal Hasty

FB Josh Hokit

WR Jauan Jennings

CB Dontae Johnson

DL Dion Jordan

S Jared Mayden

OL Dakoda Shepley

OL William Sweet

LB Joe Walker

WR Kevin White

Aiyuk back at practice, but Deebo still out...if Aiyuk can play this week, I'd be fine with keeping Deebo out.

Bourne, Taylor, Aiyuk, Kittle, Reed, Pettis, McKinnon...there will be plenty of pass catchers on the field all day.

ETA: Yes, Pettis too. Hes looking like he might have his head out of his ### and is actually ready to contribute.

Out
WR Deebo Samuel (foot), CB Jason Verrett (hamstring)

Questionable
WR Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring), C Ben Garland (ankle)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/11/nfl-monitoring-air-quality-in-santa-clara-which-could-be-issue-for-sundays-game/

The 49ers currently are practicing outside in Santa Clara. The air quality index apparently met the threshold for the team to practice in the smoke but not by much.

Only 45 minutes before Friday’s practice, the air quality index rated at 194 in Santa Clara due to the fires in northern and central California, Matt Maiocco of NBCSportsBayArea.com reports. The threshold for the NFL to cancel practices or postpone games is 200.

The NFL makes the final decision on games, and the 49ers are in communication with the league office about the conditions for Sunday’s game, according to Maiocco.

“If it gets to 200, that would be a huge deal,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said during an appearance on KNBR on Friday. “I know when it’s above 150 that does affect a certain group of people that happen to be higher risk, pre-existing conditions, if it got above 150 you could lose a few players, but 200 is the mark where you can’t go out there.”

The NFL uses the EPA’s website to monitor the air quality index, according to Josh Weinfuss of ESPN, and is prepared to relocate a game if there “definitive evidence” the AQI will stay above 200 for a significant period of time.

“I’m sure that discussions are going on right now to figure out the best and safest option,” Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said, via Weinfuss. “I don’t know what that would be at this point, but I’m sure they’ll come to a good place.”

Yikes. Hope they just move it to another location and/or another day.

If they outright scramble I've got loads of problems.

Jeesh. And I thought COVID was the only concern this season.

KYLE SHANAHANC, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

The deteriorating air quality in Santa Clara, California could force the 49ers to postpone Sunday's game against the Cardinals. 

California's climate apocalypse has wreaked havoc on the air quality around Levi Stadium, prompting the Niners to communicate with the NFL about contingency plans for Sunday's season opener. The air quality index threshold for the league to cancel practices or postpone games is 200. On Friday, the index stood at 194. “If it gets to 200, that would be a huge deal,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Friday. “I know when it’s above 150 that does affect a certain group of people that happen to be higher risk, pre-existing conditions, if it got above 150 you could lose a few players, but 200 is the mark where you can’t go out there.” Fantasy players should be prepared to find replacements for their Cardinals and 49ers if the game is postponed. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk

Sep 11, 2020, 4:39 PM ET

FWIW, the air has improved for 3 straight days since our apocalyptic Wednesday when you needed to turn your lights on at noon to see things in a living room with lots of windows. 

The sky is bright but looks like fog (it's not fog, it's ash) and hopefully will continue to improve. 

I've got Mostert going at Flex, so I really hope this game is merely moved. if anything. 

I can't imagine how they would go about a postponement. :doh:   That said, it's under 200 now and as mentioned, it seems to be improving. 

I wonder how hard it would be to swap home games with Arizona. We play there this week and in Santa Clara week 16.

It might be too last minute,  but without fans attending it seems like it couod be doable.

I wonder how hard it would be to swap home games with Arizona. We play there this week and in Santa Clara week 16.

It might be too last minute,  but without fans attending it seems like it couod be doable.
They were just discussing this on the radio… The new COVID travel rules would make this extremely difficult. The air quality is steadily improving, and expected to be better Sunday than today, they are probably just going to roll the dice.

If they have to, They will move it to Monday.

seems smarter to just move it to Arizona, but it looks like it will be OK

Bay Area locals -- would playing on Stanford's campus be an improvement, or is it not far enough away to get significantly better air quality?

Would playing at Fresno State ever be considered? A haul for SF fans, to be sure.

Bay Area locals -- would playing on Stanford's campus be an improvement, or is it not far enough away to get significantly better air quality?

Would playing at Fresno State ever be considered? A haul for SF fans, to be sure.
No improvement - same air. Logistics would be far more challenging in moving the game, especially to a non-NFL location. 

I’m betting they play Sunday or MN. It’s been improving steadily, and should be below 200.

Good news for all but Coleman, who has sickle cell trait, which is adversely impacted by poor air quality:

that would be awesome news for Mostert and to lesser extent McKinnon owners. 

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said it will be Tevin Coleman's choice to sit in Week 1 if the air in San Francisco doesn't clear.

Coleman, who was held out of practice Friday with preexisting sickle cell trait, will have the choice to be inactive if he feels like the air quality in the Bay Area remains polluted (AQI of 150-plus). The simple move for fantasy players is to roster Jerick McKinnon (wherever applicable) to keep on standby just in case. If Coleman sits, Raheem Mostert would likely handle 20-plus carries with McKinnon seeing 6-8 targets on passing downs.

Smoky as hell on the west coast.  In OR we have wildfires up and down the I-5 corridor with many people evacuated, and many people have lost their homes......the air quality is hazardous with ash covering everything.....just what we needed😐

Any updates on the Air Quality? Cheers!
It sucks. :(  

but probably not too sucky to play. Currently 162

150+ is considered “unhealthy”.

200+ is automatic “cancel the game” per Shanny.

162 is better than what they practiced in yesterday (186) and they said it was fine yesterday.

But we keep hearing that the AQI being reported isn’t matching the on-site testing. So it’s still TBD. 

It’s the NFL. “Player safety” is mostly lip service/CYA. I’d bet they’ll play. I’d also bet Coleman is out due to sickle cell trait. 

It sucks. :(  

but probably not too sucky to play. Currently 162

150+ is considered “unhealthy”.

200+ is automatic “cancel the game” per Shanny.

162 is better than what they practiced in yesterday (186) and they said it was fine yesterday.

But we keep hearing that the AQI being reported isn’t matching the on-site testing. So it’s still TBD. 

It’s the NFL. “Player safety” is mostly lip service/CYA. I’d bet they’ll play. I’d also bet Coleman is out due to sickle cell trait. 

Yea that sounds a bit better, but I do hope that its not too bad for all of you out there, stay safe and enjoy your Sunday! Cheers. 

No Aiyuk today, but Coleman is playing so we will have 4 RBs and 4 TEs, plus Bourne, Taylor, Pettis.

Ben Garland is out tho, so Grasu or Brunskill will start at center...

Users who are viewing this thread