What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (1 Viewer)

Good thing we dont play too many mobile QBs since they give our defense fits. Here's the QBs we face the rest of the way:

Sam Darnold (Jets)

Daniel Jones (Giants)

Carson Wentz (Eagles)

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Dolphins)

Jared Goff (Rams)

Cam Newton (Patriots)

Russell Wilson (Seahawks)

Aaron Rodgers (Packers)

Drew Brees (Saints)

Goff (Rams)

Josh Allen (Bills)

Dwayne Haskins (Washington)

Dak Prescott (Cowboys)

Murray (Cards)

Wilson (Seahawks)

Wilson, Murray, and maybe Josh Allen are the QBs we won't be able to tee off on due to their ability to scramble. Not worried about Cam, and the rest don't scramble much. We will be fine.

Not too many positives in the game yesterday, it was sloppy in all 3 phases. Some was probably rust, some was lack of preseason, some was lack of continuity due to injuries...some teams didn't miss a beat yesterday and looked great, and others struggled to get going. We were in the latter group, but I think we will be fine.

Obviously missing Deebo and Aiyuk, who are our WR1 and WR2, was huge. Tough to get in an offensive rhythm when your top 2 receivers aren't on the field. Bourne and Taylor are WR3s at best, Pettis is a WR4 (if that), so expecting those guys to be able to get separation and pick up the slack would be pretty foolish. Sure, they could have/should have stepped up, but take away any QBs WR1 and WR2 and most are gonna struggle. Jimmy is one of them. On top of that, 3 offensive skill position players were playing for the first time in 1-2 years (Reed, Trent Taylor, and McKinnon), so Jimmy had never been on the field with those guys (other than Taylor in 2018) You can't blame him for not being in sync with them from the get go.

One positive note, Kinlaw was the 3rd highest PFF graded rookie (81.4) for week 1 behind Chase Young (86.5) and CJ Henderson (84.2). He played 39 snaps, had a tackle and 2 pressures.

I didnt notice him much, but I was yelling at the screen and throwing my hands up and looking to the sky for answers most of the time the defense was on the field.

Mostert hit close to 23mph on his TD catch...thats the fastest for a ball carrier since 2018 (Breida). Thats some serious (and deceptive) speed.

Yeah, Jimmy didn't play very well in the 2nd half...he didn't turn the ball over, so there's that, although he missed a few easy throws. The interior O Line being banged up also didnt help matters, although Grasu graded well while McGlinchey had a terrible game and allowed multiple pressures and hits. Brunskill also allowed a couple of pressures. The silver lining here is the fact that Jimmy has not played very well in any of his three week 1 starts, and I think he will bounce back fine as he has in the past. That said, I think this loss is more on the defense for not being able to contain or even slow down Murray and Hopkins. But then the offense didn't help the defense and kept putting them back on the field with stalled drives. The defense was on the field for more plays (78) than any game last year (75 in the SB, and 73 and 71 vs Seattle last season were the highest totals). The defense just ran out of gas around the 60 play mark.

We did get 15 pressures yesterday, vs 11 and 17 in games vs Arizona last year. 

I guess overall, the fact that we looked SO BAD and the Cards barely squeaked out a 4 point victory is a silver lining. If we have any semblance of rhythm on offense, we probably win that game. 

If we can get Aiyuk back next week I think we will see a different offense. Im betting the house on SF laying 7 points. They easily beat the Jets by double digits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont like the sound of this. Shades of Trent Taylor last season.

Deebo Samuel had injury setback; 49ers hopeful he'll return in Week 4

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/deebo-samuel-had-injury-setback-49ers-hopeful-hell-return-week-4

Kyle Shanahan confirmed on Monday that Deebo Samuel had a setback in his recovery from a Jones fracture in his foot. 

“Usually after one day after being sore, we thought it was just because he worked it hard,” Shanahan said. “But when that got worse each day and not better, we knew it ended up being a little bit of a setback. That’s why we ended up putting him on IR.” 

The 2020 NFL season has been unprecedented for many reasons. The rules for how a team can use the injured reserve list have been changed, which is why the timing for Samuel’s designation occurred when it did. 

Originally, the 49ers were informed they were not able to put the second-year receiver on IR because his injury happened prior to the start of training camp. But since Samuel’s injury now has had a setback, they were allowed to utilize the three-week IR list. The 49ers needed to make the move immediately in order for Sunday’s game to count towards the three. 

Shanahan confirmed the plan still is to have Samuel back for Week 4 against the Philadelphia Eagles, but the team will be careful so as to not put the remainder of the receiver's season in jeopardy. 

"Really hoping to get him back by the Eagles game, but we got to see how this heals and how it goes right now,” Shanahan said. 

Sanu is a 49er. Hate to say it but we need a veteran WR until Deebo and Aiyuk are healthy.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/139886-49ers-agree-one-year-deal-mohamed-sanu-per-agent/

The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to a one-year deal with wide receiver Mohamed Sanu

There is familiarity with the veteran receiver. Kyle Shanahan worked with Sanu for a season in Atlanta when the 49ers head coach was the offensive coordinator there.

Sanu, 31, spent last season with the New England Patriots. San Francisco was also among the teams that pursued Sanu last season before Atlanta traded him to New England. 

Looking at the stats for week 1, I noticed that the 49ers passed more than they ran.  There were 33 pass plays to only 25 running plays (as a team we only had 123 total rush yards, but averaged 4.92 yds/carry, which was up from 4.6 yds/carry last year). Last year we averaged over 31 carries/game (for 144 yds/game) and 29 passes. Not a huge difference but 7 more runs might have extended drives or put us in better 3rd down situations, and right now I trust our run game way more than the passing game.

Maybe having to start Grasu at center had to do with not running in certain situations, or maybe it was an in game adjustment. Either way, until our WRs are healthy, we should lean on the run game that averaged almost 5 yards a carry last week, and get back to what we do best.

Even if Kittle is out, I say we cover this week and win by double digits.

Sorry if this seems selfish but I need advice guys.....with AJ Brown and Mike Thomas both out, I need to choose between Perriman and Herndon for the flex spot (this is in FBGPC so TEs get 1.5 PPR).... who would you start against the Niners? (Richard Sherman is out)

Are the Niners weaker against WRs with Sherman out or TE in general? 

Kittle out. Im hoping Reed and Dwelley can pick up the slack.

49ers injury report vs. NY Jets

OUT: TE George Kittle (knee), CB Jason Verrett (hamstring)

Questionable: DE Dee Ford (neck) 

From Matt Barrows on twitter:

There were no setbacks with Kittle’s knee, which was hyperextended Sunday. Said Shanahan: “If it was a normal person, we probably would have ruled him out earlier in the week.” #49ers will have 3 TEs active on Sunday: Ross Dwelley, Jordan Reed and rookie Charlie Woerner.

A real concerning first 7 days of the season. Hopefully they can beat up on the Jets and get some momentum going today. 

Bosa, Thomas, Mostert, Jimmy...

Oof. Let's hope most of the injuries today end up NOT being long term.

In the first half, there were five leg injuries between the two teams. This is the second game on brand new turf at MetLife Stadium. 

Also...no Sanu today...I guess they didn't need him the way the game was going...hopefully he will get involved a bit next week after a full week of practice

thecatch said:
A real concerning first 7 days of the season. Hopefully they can beat up on the Jets and get some momentum going today. 
Well, they did beat up on the Jets, but instead it cost them the season.  Better to get knocked out early instead of breaking hearts late in the season, I suppose.

Well, they did beat up on the Jets, but instead it cost them the season.  Better to get knocked out early instead of breaking hearts late in the season, I suppose.
Negative nelly.

All this means is Jimmy will have to carry the team (once he comes back from a week or two off due to his injured ankle).

Hopefully he's up to the task.

Negative nelly.

All this means is Jimmy will have to carry the team (once he comes back from a week or two off due to his injured ankle).

Hopefully he's up to the task.
I'm hoping he'll heal quickly and come back as an all pro QB soon too.  I'm also capable of being realistic about the odds of that happening, both based on his history and the current crop of wideouts (they might as well cut Pettis already, that guy is such a zero).

I'm hoping he'll heal quickly and come back as an all pro QB soon too.  I'm also capable of being realistic about the odds of that happening, both based on his history and the current crop of wideouts (they might as well cut Pettis already, that guy is such a zero).
Deebo, Aiyuk, Bourne, Taylor, Sanu, Kittle, Reed, plus the RBs that can catch  

I like that bunch.

Deebo, Aiyuk, Bourne, Taylor, Sanu, Kittle, Reed, plus the RBs that can catch  

I like that bunch.
Taylor and Sanu are replacement level, Bourne a tiny step up from that.  I've got high long run hopes for Deebo and Aiyuk but not sure we'll see that upside in the short term (injury and inexperience, respectively).  If they could get a high volume of snaps from Reed and Kittle and really center the passing game around those guys, that could work.  But injury concerns with respect to both will prevent that from happening.  

Maiocco says Jimmy's ankle sprain is normally a 4-6 week injury, so there's that.  I'm actually willing to entertain the argument that Mullens may not be a significant drop off from Jimmy, but I wouldn't bet much on that proposition either.

Dee Ford out indefinitely. We gotta move on from him after this season. 

From what I've read, cutting him today would cost the rest of his 2020 salary and then a cap charge of close to 15 mil next year. If we let him play out and cut him next year with a June 1st designation, we save over 13 mil in cap space.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/amp/Report-49ers-Dee-Ford-sidelined-idefinitely-15587583.php

Pro Bowl pass rusher Dee Ford is likely to miss Sunday’s game against the Giants with a back injury and there is no timetable for his return, the NFL Network reported.

Ford, 29, has been sidelined since he missed Thursday’s practice to have an MRI because of what head coach Kyle Shanahan initially termed “neck spasms.” Shanahan clarified Monday that Ford has a back issue.

Per the report, the 49ers “hope” Ford’s injury clears up, but it could take “some time” before he’s able to return.

The initial belief that Ford had a neck injury suggests he’s dealing with an upper-back problem. Ford had surgeries on his lower back in 2011 and 2017. He had a herniated disc repaired when he was at Auburn before he had a lumbar discectomy three years ago when he was with the Chiefs.

Ford has dealt with knee, hamstring and Achilles injuries since the 49ers traded a second-round pick to Kansas City for him last year and signed him to a five-year, $85 million contract. Ford had offseason surgery after being limited by knee tendinitis last year.

Ford had 6.5 sacks last year while playing just 227 snaps - 22% percent of the defensive total - in the regular season.

I'm not really following why this is so advantageous.  Wouldn't they have been better off eating Ford's salary this year, and being able to cut him loose and totally get off his deal next offseason?  

Dee Ford out indefinitely. We gotta move on from him after this season. 

From what I've read, cutting him today would cost the rest of his 2020 salary and then a cap charge of close to 15 mil next year. If we let him play out and cut him next year with a June 1st designation, we save over 13 mil in cap space.
Yep, I'm still confused.

Wednesday practice update:

Jimmy (ankle) not practicing 

Mostert (knee) not practicing 

Ford (back) no practice 

Kittle (knee) limited at practice 

Greenlaw (thigh) limited at practice 

DJ Jones (ankle) is "good to go" per Shanahan

San Francisco 49ers practice/injury update for Friday:

Out
RB Tevin Coleman (knee), DE Dee Ford (back), QB Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle), LB Dre Greenlaw (quadricep), TE George Kittle (knee), RB Raheem Mostert (knee)

Questionable
CB Ahkello Witherspoon (hamstring)

San Francisco 49ers Friday Practice

Did Not Participate In Practice
RB Tevin Coleman (knee), DE Dee Ford (back), QB Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle), LB Dre Greenlaw (quadricep), RB Raheem Mostert (knee)

Limited Participation in Practice
TE George Kittle (knee), CB Ahkello Witherspoon (hamstring)

Just roll out the SF State JV team. Can’t be any worse than what we’re about to see on Sunday.

Dear Giants fans, big win at home coming up. And if not, woof - gonna be a loooooooong year. 

DEEBO!!!

Kyle Shanahan expects Deebo Samuel to practice ahead of 49ers-Eagles

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/140372-kyle-shanahan-expects-deebo-samuel-practice-ahead-49ers-eagles/

Reinforcements may be on the way for the injury-stricken San Francisco 49ers. Head coach Kyle Shanahan is optimistic that the team will get wide receiver Deebo Samuel back next week — at least for practices. The coaching staff will use those practices to determine if the second-year receiver is healthy enough to play on October 4 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Samuel, in June, suffered a Jone fracture in his left foot and has been working relentlessly to return to the football field. He is with the team at The Greenbrier in West Virginia.

"I'm optimistic he'll be back next week," Shanahan told reporters on Friday. "He had a real good week. Last week, hitting the rehab hard with all those guys, and just being able to watch him work out here on the side, he looks real good running routes, and he's been able to do it without pain. So I expect to get him back next week.

I think the Niners win this game. Not a blowout, its close, but we win by 3.

20-17
They might win. I say it’s a coin flip. Hard to understate how much talent the 49ers are missing going into this game. 

Also i fear for McKinnon’s twice surgically repaired knee on that turf. 

Week 4 should see Kittle, JimmyG, Mostert & Debo back. That’s a good time to hit the reset button & start the season. 

I still expect a W as well. Who do the Giants even have on defense anymore? I'd have to look it up. No Saquon, won't have to worry about the run game. If we can still manufacture enough of a pass rush to rattle Jones we should be fine. 

I hear Mullens and Sanu have a good rapport going, and Mullens also likes to throw to TEs, so Reed could have another nice game.

Crazy stat: last week, Reed scored 2 TDs. Kittle has never scored twice in a single game. Thats unbelievable. 

WOOT! 2-1

And Buffalo got lucky on an OPI call that allowed them to beat the Rams.

Go Lions and Cowboys!!

F'n Seattle. Their defense is terrible, giving up most 30pts a game and they're 3-0. 

You gotta run the ball against them to control the clock and to keep Wilson off the field. Dallas gave Elliot 14 carries today. 14 carries. Atlanta gave Gurley 14 carries against them, and New England RBs had 14 carries total (Cam also had 11 runs).

Run run run all day and see what happens.

The hits keep coming. I was really looking forward to seeing Kittle and Reed on the field together in the coming weeks.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/140505-jordan-nzeocha-headed-short-term-injured-reserve-injury-updates/

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters on Monday that tight end Jordan Reed and linebacker Mark Nzeocha are headed to short-term injured reserve. Reed is dealing with an MCL sprain that will take six to eight weeks of recovery while Nzeocha suffered a quad strain.

Reed suffered his injuries during Sunday's win over the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium. He suffered an ankle injury during the first quarter, returned to the game, but then had to later exit due to the knee injury.

Other injury news

Cornerback Emmanuel Moseley is in the concussion protocol.

Running back Jerick McKinnon is day-to-day with a rib contusion.

Linebacker Dre Greenlaw is expected to miss this week with a quad injury.

Cornerback K'Waun Williams is dealing with some hip discomfort.

The 49ers will address the statuses of tight end George Kittle (knee), quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle), and running back Raheem Mostert (knee) when the team resumes practice on Wednesday.

Defensive end Dee Ford (back) will not play this weekend and the 49ers will decide in the next few days whether or not to place him on short-term injured reserve.

Users who are viewing this thread