What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (1 Viewer)

We will have Bosa back next season, and I think Hyder will be a fine replacement for Ford.

I may have jumped the "Jimmy sucks" gun a bit out of frustration...The O line is the main issue with the offense IMO...theyre not giving the QB(s) time so plays can develop and they can go thru their reads, the pocket is being collapsed and theyre getting harrassed immediately. 

If it doesn't get fixed like NOW, they won't win many more games.
Bosa may take longer than a year to get fully, 100% back, and his history is starting to suggest he may just be a guy who breaks down a lot. Hyder is fine but ideally he’s a rotation guy and not an edge rusher you’re expecting 10+ sacks from. 

Bosa may take longer than a year to get fully, 100% back, and his history is starting to suggest he may just be a guy who breaks down a lot. Hyder is fine but ideally he’s a rotation guy and not an edge rusher you’re expecting 10+ sacks from. 
I do think think Bosa is injury prone that turf took out several players this season, and he's had an ACL before, so he knows how to rehab it. Jimmy tore his ACL in week 3 in 2018 and was ready in week 1 in 2019, so I think Bosa will be fine. 

Even if Hyder is more if a part time guy, we should be able to get another DE in FA or the draft.

I just think this year is a wash, and we can fix most of if not all of the issues in the off-season. 

I hear the Jets might think about trading Darnold...Id give a 2nd rounder for him, hes in a horrible situation but has shown flashes. In the right environment he might thrive.

I do think think Bosa is injury prone that turf took out several players this season, and he's had an ACL before, so he knows how to rehab it. Jimmy tore his ACL in week 3 in 2018 and was ready in week 1 in 2019, so I think Bosa will be fine. 

Even if Hyder is more if a part time guy, we should be able to get another DE in FA or the draft.

I just think this year is a wash, and we can fix most of if not all of the issues in the off-season. 

I hear the Jets might think about trading Darnold...Id give a 2nd rounder for him, hes in a horrible situation but has shown flashes. In the right environment he might thrive.
Bosa will be playing I’m sure week 1 next year, but players are always saying it takes 2 years to fully get back up to speed. That was one of the big narratives for why Jimmy would be better this year (so much for that). If you don’t think he’s got at least a mildly concerning injury history at this point, I don’t know what to tell you. 

I can tell you that if a team is willing to pay a second for Darnold, they will be able to get him. I certainly hope that’s not SF. 

Well none of us have a crystal ball, so we shall see what happens. One things for sure...it won't matter who iswe have at QB next season if the O-line problems aren't fixed.

The good news from Sunday was that we didn't sustain any new injuries...welp, scratch that. Kwon Alexander has a possible high ankle sprain...if confirmed, he will probably go on short term IR.

Also, Sherm had a setback and is probably out vs the Rams.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141027-alexander-suffered-possible-high-ankle-shanahan-counting-richard-49ers-rams/

Kwon Alexander suffered a ‘possible’ high-ankle sprain; Shanahan not counting on Richard Sherman for 49ers-Rams

Alexander could be the latest San Francisco 49ers player sidelined. On Monday, head coach Kyle Shanahan revealed that the linebacker suffered a "possible" high-ankle sprain on Sunday against the Miami Dolphins. That doesn't necessarily mean injured reserve just yet, though, as the injury's severity hasn't been determined.

Alexander played 66 of the 67 total snaps on defense against the Dolphins.

"We could be wrong, but right now, they told me that they believe it's a high-ankle sprain," Shanahan told reporters. "They're not sure of the severity of it. It could be a minor one, for whatever that means. If it's automatic high-ankle sprain, I'd be talking about IR and stuff right now. But they told me to hold on that because they think it possibly could be a minor one; don't know.

"They've got to do more work today on it, and we'll have an answer on that for Wednesday."

Shanahan had hoped to get cornerback Richard Sherman back this week to help the defense's injury-depleted secondary. On Monday, he didn't sound very optimistic about that happening, noting that the future Hall of Famer had a setback last week.

"Sherm, we were hoping to get him back this week," Shanahan said. "Some setbacks last week, and the healing hasn't gone the way we were hoping for. I know we're going to try a few different procedures this week, but I'm not counting on him this week. We'll see how that goes with the new stuff we're going to try."

Shanahan clarified that none of the "procedures" were surgical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well none of us have a crystal ball, so we shall see what happens. One things for sure...it won't matter who iswe have at QB next season if the O-line problems aren't fixed.
They miss Joe Staley that much huh? This was one of the better offensive lines in the league just last year no?

I was drafting for the 49ers in SP mock early this spring and I took Wirfs for them at pick 14 over Javon Kinlaw. Most of the feedback I got from 49ers fans was they preferred Kinlaw and that the 49ers had other offensive linemen ready to step up and replace Staley who I dont think had announced his retirement yet at the time.

Not an easy decision. Kinlaw also a very good prospect.

As it turns out Wirfs (and the other tackles I would consider over Kinlaw) was gone before pick 14 anyways and I do not like the tackles drafted after 14 more than Kinlaw anyways. I am just wondering about where the confidence in the depth of the offensive line went based on your statement?

Also could the 49ers be dumb enough to want to trade for Kirk Cousins? Please?

Hes gotta be better than Brian Allen, right? With Sherm being out longer than expected, and Moseley taking forever to clear concuasion protocol, I wonder if he gets activated this week.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141050-49ers-claim-parnell-motley-off-waivers-buccaneers/

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the San Francisco 49ers have claimed cornerback Parnell Motley off of waivers from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Buccaneers signed Motley (6-0, 180) as an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma. In four seasons with the Sooners, he registered 176 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss, six interceptions, a touchdown, 33 pass breakups (fifth in school history), six forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

He earned first-team All-Big 12 honors in 2019, when he recorded 41 tackles, a team-best 13 PBUs and a team-leading five forced fumbles (second nationally) to go with a fumble recovery.

He can join the team after clearing the normal COVID-19 protocols.

Motley is listed at  6'0" and 180lbs

I've been drinking the Kerry Hyder kool aid all season...hes playing at a high level,  even without Bosa on the other side.

Via Twitter:

David Lombardi (@LombardiHimself)

Brace yourselves. The NFL’s Top 4 in PFF edge-rushing productivity is a doozy of a list…

1. Aldon Smith

2. T.J. Watt

3. Myles Garrett

4. Kerry Hyder

2:53 PM · Oct 15, 2020

From 49ers Webzone:

PFF grades 49ers’ Kerry Hyder among most productive edge rushers

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141116-grades-49ers-kerry-hyder-among-most-productive-rushers/

Kerry Hyder has been a pleasant surprise on a San Francisco 49ers defensive line that has been decimated by injuries this season. In the absence of edge rushers Nick Bosa and Dee Ford, Hyder has racked up 20 tackles, 3.5 sacks, and 10 quarterback hits, according to Pro Football Reference.

Hyder's overall Pro Football Focus grade of 70.8 is a career-high, and the analytics site credits the defender with 21 total pressures in 134 pass-rush attempts. He owns a pass-rushing-productivity grade of 9.9, which ranks as the fourth-best among NFL edge rushers. The only edge defenders who have made more of an impact rushing quarterbacks are Aldon Smith of the Dallas Cowboys (10.7 grade), T.J. Watt of the Pittsburgh Steelers (10.4), and Myles Garrett of the Cleveland Browns (10.1), according to Pro Football Focus.

The 49ers signed Hyder to a one-year deal on March 25. He entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the New York Jets in 2014 and spent time with the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys before joining San Francisco.

Best news in a minute.

Via Twitter:

Chrs Biderman (@ChrisBiderman)

No more blue jersey for #49ers CB Emmanuel Moseley at today’s practice. It appears he’s cleared concussion protocol. A good sign for Sunday night against the Rams.

3:19 PM · Oct 15, 2020

I really hope we come out and can run the ball Sunday night. With the way the O-line has been pass blocking, for pass plays I'd like to see Kyle call more screens and bootlegs...having Jimmy (or whoever is QB) drop back and wait for receivers to get open isn't working. Maybe call some quick slants/posts and let our YAC monsters go to work, and bring back the jet sweeps with Deebo and/or Aiyuk, but don't stop calling it if its working. 

This game is our season. We lose this one, I dont see playoffs. If we win it, we still have a shot.

They miss Joe Staley that much huh? This was one of the better offensive lines in the league just last year no?

I was drafting for the 49ers in SP mock early this spring and I took Wirfs for them at pick 14 over Javon Kinlaw. Most of the feedback I got from 49ers fans was they preferred Kinlaw and that the 49ers had other offensive linemen ready to step up and replace Staley who I dont think had announced his retirement yet at the time.

Not an easy decision. Kinlaw also a very good prospect.

As it turns out Wirfs (and the other tackles I would consider over Kinlaw) was gone before pick 14 anyways and I do not like the tackles drafted after 14 more than Kinlaw anyways. I am just wondering about where the confidence in the depth of the offensive line went based on your statement?

Also could the 49ers be dumb enough to want to trade for Kirk Cousins? Please?
The interior of the line was shaky last year and they didn't do anything to fix it.  On paper, Williams was an upgrade on Staley, but Williams has looked rusty and has had communications issues with his new teammates.  McGlinchey looks like he dropped 30 lbs over the offseason in a bad way.  That said, given the injuries on the defensive line, I don't second-guess picking Kinlaw over an OL.

The interior of the line was shaky last year and they didn't do anything to fix it.  On paper, Williams was an upgrade on Staley, but Williams has looked rusty and has had communications issues with his new teammates.  McGlinchey looks like he dropped 30 lbs over the offseason in a bad way.  That said, given the injuries on the defensive line, I don't second-guess picking Kinlaw over an OL.
I see. 

No interest in Cousins huh? =P

Straight up for Jimmy?  I'd certainly give that some thought.
Maybe that would work out? I am not sure what Jim Gs contract looks like.

The Vikings have no back up if they were trying to trade Cousins anyways. I just want to launch him into space.

Yawn. Bad news again. Ronald Blair had a setback, so now we're looking at week 10-12 for him, Richburg, and Julian Taylor to return.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141146-ronald-blair-setback-players-expected-miss-more-shanahan/

Ronald Blair had a setback, PUP players expected to miss more time, says Kyle Shanahan

Don't expect the San Francisco 49ers to get defensive linemen Ronald Blair and Jullian Taylor, or center Weston Richburg, anytime soon. Kyle Shanahan revealed on Friday that Blair suffered a setback with his recovery from the ACL injury he sustained last season. That will push back his return.

"Ronald Blair did have a setback," Shanahan said. "Had to redo some things to his knee, some stuff that they messed up in it. He is doing a lot better from that but that's why he's going to be a couple of weeks longer than expected."

All three, in fact, aren't expected to return until sometime between Weeks 10 and 12 now. While they will each be eligible to return from physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) sooner, Shanahan says they won't be healthy enough to do so until later. All three players will remain on PUP for now.

Taylor is also returning from an ACL injury while Richburg is attempting to come back from a torn patellar tendon. All three landed on injured reserve last season.

I really hope we come out and can run the ball Sunday night. With the way the O-line has been pass blocking, for pass plays I'd like to see Kyle call more screens and bootlegs...having Jimmy (or whoever is QB) drop back and wait for receivers to get open isn't working. Maybe call some quick slants/posts and let our YAC monsters go to work, and bring back the jet sweeps with Deebo and/or Aiyuk, but don't stop calling it if its working. 

This game is our season. We lose this one, I dont see playoffs. If we win it, we still have a shot.
Take what the defense gives you, and good things happen!!

What a game plan by Shanahan, and it was executed beautifully. Donald was a complete non factor.
Yep. We've been crying out for Jimmy to just get the ball into the hands of his playmakers. We see the results. This team runs better with Mostert back there though. I hope he can get/stay healthy going forward. 

Also, having a couple of healthy CBs makes a difference, huh? The pass D was a thing of beauty. It seems they could have run more on us if they would have cashed in on more of those scoring opportunities in the 3rd however. 

That drive right before the half was the only thing I didn't like as it was happening. Just take your lead into halftime and dont try to force things.. Mostert got hurt  on that drive. Totally unnecessary.

That said, it feels great to get off the schneide.

Verrett becomes the starting CB starting Sunday and is a shut down corner going forward. 

You heard it here first
Jason Verrett had an elite 94.0 overall grade against the Rams. This season, he has allowed a passer rating of 7.8, which is the best in the NFL.

Please, please stay healthy, Jason.

They made a big deal about changing their entire medical staff a couple of years ago. They have to be one of the most injured teams in the league since. I know a lot of football injuries aren’t preventable, but some of this stuff may be. Barrows expressed some skepticism about the new staff in the Athletic a few weeks ago. It’s something the team should look at. 

From 49er beat writers via Twitter:

#49ers LT Trent Williams (ankle) is not practicing today (along with Tartt). Williams' injury is not a high ankle sprain, coach Kyle Shanahan said. He’ll likely be questionable throughout the week.

I asked Shanahan about O-line contingency plans: Skule is obviously swing OT. But a big name is McKivitz — he’s last year’s Brunskill (backup at Tankle, Guard, and first in line behind Grasu at center

Add Dee Ford (back) and Richard Sherman (calf) to the list of players the 49ers hope to have back after week 11 bye in late November, per Shanahan. Also on that list: Weston Richburg, Ronald Blair and Jordan Reed. Maybe Raheem Mostert.

‐--------------------------

So thats 4 more games (NE, SEA, GB, NO) without Ford, Sherm, and maybe Mostert, then the bye, then we play at the Rams week 12 and home vs Buffalo week 13 on Monday Night Football. Then DAL, WAS, ARZ and SEATTLE to wrap up the season.

The #49ers traded a sixth-round pick in 2022 to the #Jets for Jordan Willis and a seventh-round pick in 2021

Per Michael Lombardi via Twitter:

49ers acquire what they hope is pass-rushing help. Willis was was the Big-12 DPOY in 2016, notching 11.5 sacks. The 2017 third-round pick hasn’t been nearly as productive in the NFL but the 49ers really need edge depth. Goal is to allow Arik Armstead to rush from inside on third.

The Cincinnati Bengals made Willis a third-round selection out of Kansas State in 2017. He has recorded 52 tackles, three sacks, a pass defensed, and a forced fumble through his four NFL seasons.

Lombardi:

Prior to the Laken Tomlinson restructure, the 49ers had only $31,949 (!!) in salary-cap space, the lowest in the NFL. Jordan Willis will cost them about $541,000 of cap room, the prorated remainder of his 2020 salary. You can see the squeeze SF is working through

Ridiculous. Current injuries on defense (all are out Sunday vs New England)

Nick Bosa, Solomon Thomas, Dee Ford, Ronald Blair, Richard Sherman, Kwon Alexander, K’Waun Williams, Jaquiski Tartt and Jimmie Ward.

That's pretty much a full starting defense. I mean, just wow.

I like the momentum heading onto the game vs Seattle...

Wilson is definitely going on IR, I hope it's not the season ending kind.

Crossing my fingers Deebo just tweaked his hammy and its not an issue next week.

Hasty looks good, McKinnon looks terrible. Jet is fine catching passes but as a running back he just doesn't have the moves or speed to be a big factor. Let's hope Coleman is back next week.

Next week our defense is gonna really be tested against Wilson.

Shanahan said it appears that Jeff Wilson is dealing with a high ankle sprain. He’d be the fifth player to go down with that this season.

"Deebo, with a hamstring, you never know," Shanahan continued. "I know it pulled on him on that run, which usually is some time. Hopefully, the severity won't be too bad, and he won't miss too much time."

"Richie James, I'm not sure what type of ankle injury it was. They didn't give me any information on that. I know he wasn't able to go back in."

:wall:

Jimmy, Kittle, Deebo, and Aiyuk should have all been pulled early in the 4th. The game was well in hand.

On McKinnon: Kyle Shanahan said he wanted to give Jerick McKinnon some rest after playing him a lot the past couple of weeks. McKinnon had his ribs banged up recently. Shanahan said that rest should help McKinnon in future weeks.

Might be easier to list who's healthy at this point. This team has shown a lot of spunk the past couple weeks. To play that well with so many injuries, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is impressive. 

Very pleasantly surprised today, especially by the defense.  Wilson always looks great whenever he gets on the field, it's a shame to see him go down.  I didn't watch every snap, and I always enjoy when they can just run it down a team's throat, but I would feel better about the team's trajectory if it seemed like Jimmy could be trusted to throw a forward pass once in a while.  Hopefully they are just biding their time until his ankle is fully healed.

David Lombardi via Twitter:

Shanahan has built a roster tailored to block in space and run. He’s trying to zag when others are zigging. With defenses all geared up to stop the standard pass, he’s probing for a comparative weakness.

What’s lost in all of this drivel about Garoppolo’s “air yards": We’re seeing Shanahan implement and refine a scheme that’s different than the other 31 teams because he thinks he can expose defenses designed to stop something else. Will he be right? I dont know. But THAT’S the story.

With the quick, short passes comes efficiency:

PFF pass-block efficiency ranks for tackle and guard, Weeks 1-5...

Williams: #26
McGlinchey: #45
Tomlinson: #49
Brunskill: #51

Last 2 weeks…

Williams: #1
McGlinchey: #11
Tomlinson: #9
Brunskill: #9

Everyone deserves credit: Shanahan, the O-line, Garoppolo. #TailoringToStrengths

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141530-49ers-wilson-headed-deebo-samuel-likely-games-shanahan/

Shanahan provided the following injury updates;

Wide receiver Deebo Samuel suffered a hamstring strain and is likely to miss the next two games (Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers).

Running back Jeff Wilson Jr. suffered a high-ankle sprain. He is headed to injured reserve this week. Shanahan expects Wilson to miss about a month.

Wide receiver Richie James suffered an ankle sprain but is day-to-day.

Shanahan hopes Tevin Coleman (knee) can return from injured reserve this week. He called his status a "late-end-of-the-week decision."

Sucks about Deebo. Seems like we're going to have a revolving starting lineup every game this year. His ability and the fear of his ability to even take a hand off are a big part of the offense. 

On another note, hate facing Wilson (doesn't everyone). Even if we cover everyone he can tuck it and run 10+ yards for 1st downs. Seems to get at least a couple of those every game against us. Usually on 3rd down plays. We're probably going to have to score on Seattle. Jimmy needs to be solid and avoid turnovers. 

Lombardi said it best on Twitter:

The 49ers are the deepest team in the NFL and it’s probably not close. We will find out over the next few months if they are the best. It’ll be about fighting into the playoffs and getting (relatively) healthy and hot at the right time.

Least surprising stat I saw earlier today: the 49ers have started 69 different players this season, the most in the NFL.

Info about Seattles running back situation...we might not be the only team down our top 3 RBs Sunday.

Carlos Hyde took over as Seattle's lead back after Chris Carson sprained his foot in the second quarter, but coach Pete Carroll revealed Monday that Hyde picked up an injury as well. The Seahawks' top three running backs are now battling injuries after Travis Homer suffered a knee contusion during the divisional tilt, leaving rookie DeeJay Dallas as the only healthy remaining back. Homer's status is unclear, Carson is week-to-week, and Hyde's status isn't favorable because of the soft-tissue nature of his injury. We'll have a better idea of the trio's respective statuses once practices start up Wednesday. If they're all ruled out for Sunday's game versus the 49ers, Dallas likely would lead the backfield because Rashaad Penny (knee) isn't expected to be ready in time. Patrick Carr is on the practice squad and may be an option, and Marshawn Lynch's name could be floated under these circumstances as well.

by Rotowire.com

Lol @ Lynch being mentioned.

Here's the real question - how much noise can this banged up team make in this ultra competitive division.

And for yuks, a fake question - if the NFC west only plays the NFC East does the NFC East forfeit the rest of the season?

Kyle Shanahan said RB JaMycal Hasty had to choose recently whether to remain on SF’s practice squad or join another team’s 53-man rosters. He chose to stay — then was promoted a week later. He will see plenty of action Sunday.

Three teams have shown interest in Hasty in the last month according to Matt Barrows. Panthers coach Matt Rhule and his staff coached Hasty at Baylor.

Jason Verrett is the 4th highest rated CB through 7 weeks according to PFF. #LOCKDOWN

1. JAIRE ALEXANDER, GREEN BAY PACKERS — 90.8

2. JAMEL DEAN, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS — 88.8

3. J.C. JACKSON, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS — 83.4

4. JASON VERRETT, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS — 82.6

One of the most incredible comeback stories in recent NFL memory is underway in the form of 49ers cornerback Jason Verrett. Once on his way to being one of the best cover guys in football, Verrett’s career was torpedoed by a series of injuries that limited him to only 327 snaps in the last three years before this season. This year, he has been a much-needed boost to the 49ers' secondary and is currently allowing a passer rating of just 23.2 when targeted, as well as fewer than 50% of passes thrown his way to be caught. He has All-Pro numbers and is playing like the player he was half a decade ago.

This afternoon update:

Shanahan said all 3 practice-window guys -- Coleman, K. Williams and Reed -- have a chance Sunday. Only Coleman is practicing today. "But not very much. So we'll see at the end of the week with them. I'm hoping more for the GB game. But I'm still holding out hope for this week."

This afternoon update:

Shanahan said all 3 practice-window guys -- Coleman, K. Williams and Reed -- have a chance Sunday. Only Coleman is practicing today. "But not very much. So we'll see at the end of the week with them. I'm hoping more for the GB game. But I'm still holding out hope for this week."
The 49ers "opened the practice window" for all 3 players, but reportedly only Williams has a high chance of playing week 8 at this point. The practice window means the team has 21 days to evaluate them & return them to the active roster or IR them for the year. 

Shannahan said he wouldn't know anything about Coleman's status for week 8 until "late in the week".  reportedly Williams has been targeting week 8 for some time now. 

I haven't seen reports of Coleman practicing today - he was seen "working out" on the side last week & today. He is "cleared" to practice, but the SJ Mercury News article with the headline indicting that the 3 have "returned to practice" did not actually say he was practicing, only that he was present & cleared. 

He may well practice today - I just don't think that's known yet. The same Merc article indicates that they expect either Hasty or McKinnon to start this week. 

I'd bet on RBBC, with McKinnon on early downs, regardless of who's designated the "starter". If Coleman returns, I can't see him getting anything resembling a full workload, but that's what I thought about Wilson too, so...

My guess is K'Waun plays, Coleman is a longshot, and Reed is still a couple weeks away.
Sticking by this. If Coleman does play, I agree his work load will be light, with Hasty getting the lions share of carries and McKinnon having more of an impact in the passing game.

Users who are viewing this thread