What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (1 Viewer)

You fellas probably already know this but is the key to beating the Seahawks by holding them to FGs and not TDs? (breaking stuff here, I know) 

They are an interesting 5-1 team. Most yards ever allowed through the first 6 games of a season, 2800+. They have only 4 FGs (4/4) compared to 27 TDs. They have given up 17 sacks while only having 9 themselves. 

Surely numbers like this can't lead to long-term success, right? 

Our CBs are going to be tested for sure. Hopefully they'll hold their own. Can't wait for the game! 

Kyle Shanahan said RB JaMycal Hasty had to choose recently whether to remain on SF’s practice squad or join another team’s 53-man rosters. He chose to stay — then was promoted a week later. He will see plenty of action Sunday.

Three teams have shown interest in Hasty in the last month according to Matt Barrows. Panthers coach Matt Rhule and his staff coached Hasty at Baylor.
Panthers should have drafted him  :shrug:

I like the Niners this week 31-24 or something around that number. I like the stats people are posting, too many yards defensively given up by the SeaDogs and the 27 TDs vs 4 FGs is eye opening.

Arizona 5-2

Seattle 5-2

San Fran 5-3

LA Rams 5-3...well I'm dreaming that my Phins can give them a run for their money this week in the sweltering heat n humidity at Hard Rock. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Injury updates:

On KNBR, John Lynch says K’Waun Williams is “on the front-burner” as far as his availability for Sunday. It sounds like that’s trending up. Brace yourselves for the Williams - Tyler Lockett battle :headbang:

RB Tevin Coleman got a heavy workload in practice Thursday and the 49ers are “hopeful” he’ll be available for Sunday’s game vs. Seahawks. How Coleman's knee responds today (Friday) will be key, Lynch said.

Jordan Reed might be a gametime decision to play against the Seahawks, per 49ers GM John Lynch on KNBR. This was unfathomable just a couple days ago. Lynch: “He’s surprised us, how good he’s looked this week. He begged us to get back on the practice field."

I really hope Williams can play, we need him on Lockett.

49ers injury report vs. Seahawks

OUT Deebo Samuel (hamstring), Jeff Wilson (ankle)

DOUBTFUL Kwon Alexander (ankle), Richie James (ankle), Jaquiski Tartt (groin)

QUESTIONABLE Jimmie Ward (quad), Kentavius Street (Non Covid illness)

IR w/chance to play: Tevin Coleman, Jordan Reed, K’Waun Williams (49ers have until 1pm Saturday to activate any of them)

Seahawks injury report

OUT CB Shaquill Griffin (concussion)

DOUBTFUL RB Carlos Hyde (hamstring), G Mike Iupati (back), S Ugo Amadi (hamstring)

QUESTIONABLE RB Chris Carson (foot), RB Travis Homer (knee), DE Benson Mayowa (ankle), S Jamal Adams (groin), S Ryan Neal (hamstring)

K'Waun and Coleman activated. Reed stays in IR another week.

K'Waun vs Lockett is gonna be hot hot heat!

Also

49ers WR River Cracraft -- who handles punts and can play out of the slot -- has been flexed from practice squad and will wear No. 86 on Sunday. (He's been wearing No. 1 in practice).

Johnathan Cyprien flexed from practice squad.

Interesting that Cracraft got called up over White. 

Even if healthy, the Niners’ road to improvement this year was through Jimmy G’s development. I thought he’d improve at least a little bit. Seems like we’re going backward on that front. 

Wow, bye bye Kwon Alexander. I loved the energy he brought but the ROI on his contact wasn't cutting it. Hes missed 11 games since the middle of last year. 

#RIPHotBoyzz

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/141759-49ers-trade-kwon-alexander-saints/

Kwon Alexander's time with the San Francisco 49ers is over. In a bit of a surprising move, the team has traded the linebacker to the New Orleans Saints, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. The 49ers will receive a conditional fifth-round pick and linebacker Kiko Alonso as part of the trade, per Schefter and Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

Alonso spent the past two seasons with the Saints. The veteran linebacker was a second-round draft pick by the Buffalo Bills in 2013. He has spent this season on the reserve/physically-unable-to-perform list after suffering an ACL injury last season in a playoff game against the Vikings. 

I doubt Alonso ever sees the field for SF...this was a salary dump move for an extra draft pick, and Im fine with it.

I've been a Jimmy G supporter since he got here, but Im officially jumping ship. Im tired of making excuses for him, even when healthy, hes just not very good. He doesn't seem to be able to read a defense, doesnt recognize or exploit coverages and matchups, doesn't see the whole field, misses wide open receivers, he makes horrible decisions, he has no deep game, hes injured too often..not a single defense respects or fears him. I think its time for the Jimmy G experiment to be over. 

Im not a huge fan of Jeff Garcia, but he speaks the truth and unloads about Jimmy G on the 49ers Talk podcast. Jeff comes in the podcast at the 11:30 mark.

LISTEN HERE: https://t.co/2fVVNY6NKB 

Jimmy Garoppolo (probably) to IR with ankle sprain.and George Kittle breaks his foot, out 8ish weeks..The 49ers have placed over 20 players on IR in 2020.

Its officially the Season From Hell.

Jimmy Garoppolo (probably) to IR with ankle sprain.and George Kittle breaks his foot, out 8ish weeks..The 49ers have placed over 20 players on IR in 2020.

Its officially the Season From Hell.
It's amazing how this seems to almost always happen to Super Bowl losers. Certainly unlucky with injuries particularly with that ridiculous turf in New Jersey.

It's amazing how this seems to almost always happen to Super Bowl losers. Certainly unlucky with injuries particularly with that ridiculous turf in New Jersey.
When people refer to the super bowl hangover, I don’t think they typically mean that virtually all of a team’s impact starters miss most of the following season with injuries. I don’t know that I’ve ever followed a team that’s been hit so hard. It’s frankly a miracle attributable to Shanahan that this team has 4 wins. 

When people refer to the super bowl hangover, I don’t think they typically mean that virtually all of a team’s impact starters miss most of the following season with injuries. I don’t know that I’ve ever followed a team that’s been hit so hard. It’s frankly a miracle attributable to Shanahan that this team has 4 wins. 
Truth, particularly the bold

I've been a Jimmy G supporter since he got here, but Im officially jumping ship. Im tired of making excuses for him, even when healthy, hes just not very good. He doesn't seem to be able to read a defense, doesnt recognize or exploit coverages and matchups, doesn't see the whole field, misses wide open receivers, he makes horrible decisions, he has no deep game, hes injured too often..not a single defense respects or fears him. I think its time for the Jimmy G experiment to be over. 

Im not a huge fan of Jeff Garcia, but he speaks the truth and unloads about Jimmy G on the 49ers Talk podcast. Jeff comes in the podcast at the 11:30 mark.

LISTEN HERE: https://t.co/2fVVNY6NKB 
Agreed. Anyone have thoughts yet on the direction that you want the team to go at QB in 2021? We won't be bad enough to get a top prospect but if we finish middle of the pack we might be able to give up a ransom to move up. It's hard to imagine a team passing up on Lawrence or Fields though. I've heard a couple other names but don't know enough about them. 

What FA are going to be available? Rodgers? Cousins? Dak? 

Young guys that could be available? Darnold? Haskins? Trubisky? 

Makes me ill to type some of those names but I'm just throwing them out. We're in a weird spot because this team is set at several positions to contend for a title but we'll need to fill the most important one on the field of course. We miss there again and a lot of the current talent will be wasted. Sucks. 

49ers release WR Dante Pettis and DL Julian Taylor.

Taylor flashed as a rookie and I thought we might have struck 7th round gold there. Injurues killed his chances.

Glad to be rid of Pettis, he was useless.

I’m not ready to give up on Nick Mullens yet. He’s basically got an audition for the rest of the year, even though it’s with a mash unit, and we can see what he can do. At least we will know what we have going into the off-season.

Tartt to season ending IR with turf toe, K'Waun prob done for the year as well with high ankle sprain (4-8 weeks)

I'm done with this season. We have to have the record for the most injuries ever in a season. 

I hope we finish top 10 in the draft and draft a QB. 

Welp, Seahawks, Rams, and Cardinals are all 6-3, this division is still wide open.

Unless we go 5-1 the rest of the way to finish 9-7, theres no way we make the playoffs, and even at 9-7, its gonna be crowded for that 7th spot.

Right now we have the 12th pick in the draft. Our remaining schedule: @ Rams, vs Bills, vs Washington, @ Cardinals, @ Cowboys, vs Seahawks. I dont see how we win 5 of those games. Even winning 4 will be tough. We could realistically finish with a top 12 pick. This is our best chance to draft a potential franchise QB, we need to take advantage. With Shanahan signed through the 2025 season, hes got time to draft and develop a top tier rookie QB. Get rid of Jimmys salary, beef up the O-line, and we are in good shape.

Some good, some bad, and some unknown:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/amp/49ers-Ford-among-trio-that-won-t-return-in-15766909.php

Center Weston Richburg and defensive ends Dee Ford and Ronald Blair won’t return in 2020.

Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and tight end George Kittle could return for the last few regular-season games.

And wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk, nose tackle D.J. Jones, defensive end Jordan Willis and tight end Daniel Helm will be activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list Tuesday.

Yes, 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan had a slew of updates regarding sidelined players, ranging from positive to discouraging.

The most notable was the news that Ford (back), who hasn’t played since Week 1, and Richburg (shoulder) and Blair (knee) are finished for the season.

Richburg, who suffered a torn patella tendon last December, hasn’t played this season because of an offseason shoulder surgery. Blair suffered a torn ACL 13 months ago that required a second surgery. Shanahan said last month there was “some stuff they messed up” in Blair’s initial procedure.

“Both (Blair and Richburg) had really bad setbacks with stuff that happened in their surgeries,” Shanahan said Tuesday.

Meanwhile, there was guarded optimism that Garoppolo (ankle) and Kittle (foot) could contribute in the regular season. Both are on injured reserve, have missed the past three games and won’t return to practice this week.

Shanahan indicated they won’t return unless the 49ers (5-6) are in playoff contention. Their postseason chances were bolstered with a 23-30 win over the Rams on Sunday.

“I’m holding out hope for Jimmy for the last couple weeks (and) same with Kittle,” Shanahan said. “I think they’re in a similar boat with that. That’s not guaranteed. I mean, it’s how they react here over the next couple of weeks …

“That’s hopefully going to be the last couple weeks, whether it’s two games or one game or none. That’s why I was very happy with how we played last week and, hopefully, we can continue to do that.”

Finally, Aiyuk, Jones, Willis and Helm, who is on the practice squad, will be the last of nine players to be activated from the COVID list since last Wednesday.

In honor of tonight's game, check out the highlights of the 1992 week 2 classic 49ers vs Bills game that featured over 1000 yards of offense and zero punts. Im hoping for a different outcome but watching this takes me back.

https://youtu.be/4JKHOSyV_Lc

Are they out of it?

Hoping they don't pack it in. Need Mostert and praying they give Kittle a go in a week.

Yeah, looking at the standings, it doesn’t seem like you guys are out of it. Last night was always going to be a loss, imo. You still get some cracks at the NFC East. And as a Skins fan, despite the trap game for Pitt last night, you guys should still have a good chance against us.

Mullens is so bad. Not sure why they won’t at least give Beathard a crack at it. Unless they are actively tanking.  In which case, they are doing great. 

First it was Watson, now the talk of trading for Stafford heats up.

Id be all for getting Stafford, but I wouldnt give up a first rounder. I could live with sending Detroit Jimmy G, a 2021 third (compensatory pick for Saleh), and maybe a 2022 second.

This deal wouldnt cripple our drafts. We'd still have picks 12 and 44, as well as our 4th, two 5th round picks, a 6th, and two 7th round picks (we traded our original 3rd round pick for Trent Willliams)

Next season we wouldnt have a 2nd rounder but would have two 3rd round picks (the extra coming for Saleh leaving), which would soften the blow.

Anyone think a Stafford trade might actually happen? I dont, but theres nothing else to do right now so why not discuss it.

I agree that Stafford is more likely than Watson. The Texans will want a higher 1st Rd pick this year than what we own. I'd be all for your proposed offer for Stafford, but I think Detroit will be able to get a 1st Rd pick + a combination of a couple of 2's and/or 3's for him and the league knows what Jimmy is at this point in his career. Teams would rather go for the unknown potential of the draft picks I believe. 

Anyone have thoughts on the draft and what direction you want the team to go at 12? The mocks I've seen seem to  have Surtain or Pitts slotted to us, some also have a QB there. I think there's a good chance that Surtain goes higher than that, Pitts would be fun but we have more pressing needs, and I'm guessing we'd probably trade up to secure a QB if we're going that route. 

Id be all for getting Stafford, but I wouldnt give up a first rounder. I could live with sending Detroit Jimmy G, a 2021 third (compensatory pick for Saleh), and maybe a 2022 second.

This deal wouldnt cripple our drafts. We'd still have picks 12 and 44, as well as our 4th, two 5th round picks, a 6th, and two 7th round picks (we traded our original 3rd round pick for Trent Willliams
The 49ers also picked up an additional 3rd in the 2020/2021 drafts for the Washington hiring of Mayhew as GM. There is also bonus pick(s) in 2022 for losing multiple coaches/GM during the same season, not sure how that works as the wording was somewhat vague. Nice haul overall.

The 49ers also picked up an additional 3rd in the 2020/2021 drafts for the Washington hiring of Mayhew as GM. There is also bonus pick(s) in 2022 for losing multiple coaches/GM during the same season, not sure how that works as the wording was somewhat vague. Nice haul overall.
Not quite, they only got a 3rd in the 2023 draft for Mayhew. They got picks in 21 and 22 for Saleh. 

also, man, wonder what would have happened this year if SF signed Brady and let Jimmy go. 

• Thanks
Reactions: mcd
Not quite, they only got a 3rd in the 2023 draft for Mayhew. They got picks in 21 and 22 for Saleh. 

also, man, wonder what would have happened this year if SF signed Brady and let Jimmy go. 
Brady would have got killed behind our O-line.

I like building the Oline and Dlines.  That always makes a strong team.

As I have been saying this team will sink or swim based on JImmy G and I think he hasn't had enough swimming lessons yet.

All he latest:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/145331-2021-49ers-free-agency-tracker-signings-interests-losses/

New 49ers

LB Samson Ebukam (Rams, 2-yr, $12M)

DL Zach Kerr (Panthers, 1-yr)

C Alex Mack (Falcons, 3-yr

WR Trent Sherfield (Cardinals)

S Tavon Wilson (Colts, 1-yr)

Willl not return:

DE Ronald Blair (released)

WR Kendrick Bourne (UFA, Patriots, 3-yrs, $22.5M, NFLN)

DE Kerry Hyder (UFA, Seahawks, 3-yrs, $16.5M, ESPN)

DL Solomon Thomas (UFA, Raiders, 1-yr, $5M NFLN)

CB Ahkello Witherspoon (UFA, Seahawks, 1-yr, Anderson)

WOW!!!

49ers get #3 pick from Miami

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/26/49ers-announce-trade-for-no-3-pick/

The 49ers have made their trade with the Dolphins official.

The two teams shook up the top of the draft by agreeing to a deal that sends the third overall pick to the 49ers in exchange for No. 12, the third-round compensatory pick the 49ers received when the Jets hired Robert Saleh as their head coach, a 2022 first-round pick, and a 2023 first-round pick.

It’s a move that has most people thinking the 49ers have their eye on a quarterback. With the Jets at No. 2 and the Falcons at No. 4 also seen as likely landing spots for quarterbacks, there’s a chance that the first four picks will come from the position for the first time.

2 new signings:

According to John Clark of NBC Sports Philadelphia, the San Francisco 49ers are signing former Eagles linebacker Nathan Gerry.

The Eagles made Gerry a fifth-round selection out of Nebraska in 2017. He recorded 57 tackles, four tackles for a loss, a sack, and two passes defensed through seven games with the Eagles in 2020, per Pro Football Reference. A season earlier, the linebacker played 335 snaps on special teams in addition to his 620 on defense.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/145766-49ers-signing-former-eagles-nathan-gerry/

The San Francisco 49ers are bringing back Mohamed Sanu on a one-year deal, according to agent Mike McCartney. It is the veteran wide receiver's second stint with the Niners. He was on the team for less than a month last season before being released on October 6, 2020.

Sanu spent the remainder of the season with the Detroit Lions.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/145768-49ers-bringing-back-mohamed-sanu-one-year-deal/

Users who are viewing this thread