What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PB&J - How many knives? (1 Viewer)

How many knives do you use when making a PB&J sandwich?

• 1 knife - contaminate PB jar with jelly

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • 1 knife - contaminate jelly jar with PB

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • 1 knife - wash the knife in between

Votes: 38 38.0%
  • 2 knives

Votes: 14 14.0%

• Total voters
I sense this is another problem with you weirdos that use strawberry jam/jelly with your PB. 

With grape, PB&J is basically the only thing you're using the jelly for anyway, so a little PB in there shouldn't be a big problem.  Might be a different story with strawberry.

(I might be making some big assumptions here... do people use grape jelly alone on toast and that sort of thing, or is that more for strawberry and other fruits like I thought?)

NutterButter said:
What?!?!    So what plastic bags should be recycled?
Well, none of the generic ones, as I understand it.  Stores like Target and Whole Foods have bins to collect them.  As this website  states: "perhaps the easiest rule to follow which will help your local facilities: Never throw your recyclables in a plastic bag and in the recycling bin (assuming, of course, your program does not accept bags)."

One knife. Put whichever I do first one one piece of bread. Lick knife relatively clean. Do other piece of bread. 

FreeBaGeL said:
Watched a buddy and his wife get into an actual argument over this.  Wife said she hates peanut butter contaminating the jar of jelly.  Husband said he refuses to clean an extra knife.  Where to FBGs come down on this one?
1 knife, use it on buddie’s wife.  profit......

Well, none of the generic ones, as I understand it.  Stores like Target and Whole Foods have bins to collect them.  As this website  states: "perhaps the easiest rule to follow which will help your local facilities: Never throw your recyclables in a plastic bag and in the recycling bin (assuming, of course, your program does not accept bags)."
Oh, so don't put them in with the town collection.    Ok, that I knew.   I bring all of mine to a store with the bins you mentioned.   I hope they do something recycling like with them.

glvsav37 said:
I hate PB.  Not allergic, just loathe it.  Strictly 2 knife rule in my house. If I catch any stinkin PB shrapnel in the jelly there is hell to pay. 
If you don't eat peanut butter, what's the point of even having jelly in the house?

One knife...final product = double decker sandwich: bread - PB - jelly - bread - PB - jelly - bread.  Lick knife clean between each application sometimes dipping into PB jar for more to lick off that never was intended to make the sandwich.

Todem said:
Sometimes i use two knives sometimes wash the knife before I use the jelly. Sometimes pull out a knife and spoon.

Whatever floats my boat.

And I love to lightly toast my bread for a PB&J.
Toasted PB&J or :recordscratch: PB&Honey is :moneybag:

belljr said:
Knife - PB on both slices of bread.

Lick Knife clean

Use for Jelly jar
PB&Coronavirus

Cjw_55106 said:
I start with PB and when Im done, I "clean" the knife on the bread I will be using for jelly. 
This.  Doing anything else shows you are a complete moron.

How do you guys know how many knives your butlers use to make you sandwiches?  I'm confused by this whole thing.

JaxBill said:
1 knife,  abundantly spread pb on one slice of bread. wipe knife with thin amount of p. on other side of bread then jelly. use paper napkin if necessary after pb. 

ETA pb on both sides of bread prevents jelly soaking thru one slice.
Its easier to "clean" the spoon/knife when it has jelly on it.  PB is too sticky and noticeably contaminates the jelly.  And you're wasting a napkin!  

Zero. PB&J is just wrong. 🤪 If you're gonna make a sandwich, do it right. Meats and cheeses, with veggies like lettuce, tomato and onion.

We have both in the pantry, but the jelly is not what would be put on a PB&J, usually a red raspberry or something like that for toast. Dog gets the most peanut butter in the house. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1st off, if you do the jelly 1st and then contaminate the PB, that's pretty silly.  jelly needs to be refrigerated after you open it, PB doesn't.  so you're putting jelly into the PB and then sticking it in a cabinet.

in the days before squeeze jelly, i used 1 knife to get some jelly out (but haven't spread it yet), wipe off knife on bread, then use on PB.  now i just squeeze the jelly out so only 1 knife.

don't see a reason to not use 2 knives if you're worried about it though.  the dishwasher doesn't care.

voted 1 - contaminate the jelly but that was just based on my typical order of operations. i neglected to remember the "lick the knife" step until i read the comments.

tri-man 47 said:
I only recently (last year) learned that all those plastic bags from CVS, Walgreen's, etc. shouldn't be recycled.  :bag:   Some stores do collect them (as does my DIL to wrap up her kids' nasty diapers) for other re-uses.  What a tough job it must be to be a picker at the recycling center.
I put them over the garbage can (and over the garbage bag in the can) and when they fill up with trash tie it up and throw it in the outside trash cans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of a writing lesson one of my 4th or 5th grade teachers did where we had to write instructions on how to make a PB+J sandwich, and then we would have to use another kids instructions to make  the sandwhich, doing it exactly how it was written—often with funny results. 

Some didnt mention what side to put the pb/jelly on, so it made for upside down sandwiches, etc.

jhib said:
I sense this is another problem with you weirdos that use strawberry jam/jelly with your PB. 

With grape, PB&J is basically the only thing you're using the jelly for anyway, so a little PB in there shouldn't be a big problem.  Might be a different story with strawberry.

(I might be making some big assumptions here... do people use grape jelly alone on toast and that sort of thing, or is that more for strawberry and other fruits like I thought?)
Grape Jelly and Taco sauce makes a great sauce for meatballs 

Cjw_55106 said:
I start with PB and when Im done, I "clean" the knife on the bread I will be using for jelly. 
Anyone who does anything different is a sociopath.  I hope the 2 knifers don’t pass their traits on to future generations.

jhib said:

Strictly strawberry here.

Clearly creamy.  If you eat the chunky stuff, you will end up picking peanut chunks out of your ##### the next couple days.  Might as well just eat peanuts if that is your goal.
You know you can just flush it, right? You don’t have to sort and separate your ####. 

You know you can just flush it, right? You don’t have to sort and separate your ####. 
Flush my ###?  I do not have a bidet.  Those chunks don't wipe out too smoothly with paper.  I would have to deal with the clingers while in the shower.

Reminds me of a story when my buddy was working at a home for MRDD individuals, and one of the guys had an "episode" because my buddy didnt put the jelly on top and the peanut butter on the bottom.   The other worker took the sandwich back in to the kitchen and brought out a new sandwich like 3 minutes later.

My buddy asked her why she didnt just take the original sandwich and turn it over.  She had a puzzled look on her face.

Users who are viewing this thread