What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (3 Viewers)

WR-JuJu...just what I'm hearing and reading, news to me as I didn't know Miami needed to spend money when they can get a nuclear level rookie up top in the draft. This would be hard after the last guy we signed from Pittsburgh and the name eludes me but Tannehill tried to connect with him. I'm not that interested in this guy and especially at some of the dollars I have heard tossed around like 5/$75M, yikes.
Mike Wallace?

Looks like Aaron Jones is going to stay in Green Bay, that was a guy Miami was linked to and definitely makes a difference on Draft Day. 

Miami trades with Texans

Benardrick McKinney for Shaq Lawson, not sure how I feel but Lawson and KVN were our best Edge rushers and they are GONE! 

Lawson was $10M per year so Miami must be ready to go back into free agency and find some more players. They were in the Top 10 for Cap Room, this will slide them up a notch or two.  

Ministry of Pain said:
Miami trades with Texans

Benardrick McKinney for Shaq Lawson, not sure how I feel but Lawson and KVN were our best Edge rushers and they are GONE! 

Lawson was $10M per year so Miami must be ready to go back into free agency and find some more players. They were in the Top 10 for Cap Room, this will slide them up a notch or two.  
Flores must have seen something with these parts of the front 6/7 he didn't like. Maybe he fell in love with Parsons. :shrug:

Brown and Brissett not exactly the key FA signings I was thinking the Phins would be going after. 
They're fine.  Still a bunch of good WRs and a ton of OL out there.  Hold out, wait for the right guy at the right price.  They needed a backup QB, got a vet with starting experience who can help Tua in the QB room.  Brown - hopefully he was cheap.

Brown and Brissett not exactly the key FA signings I was thinking the Phins would be going after. 
5 million for Brissett and 2 million for Malcom Brown. Not a bad deal by Flores/Grier for an established backup QB who doesn't turn the ball over. I think Brown gets cut unless he plays special teams. I'm hoping for Juju at WR, so they can cut Parker next year and let Ja'Marr or DeVonta be the focal point in 2022.

They're fine.  Still a bunch of good WRs and a ton of OL out there.  Hold out, wait for the right guy at the right price.  They needed a backup QB, got a vet with starting experience who can help Tua in the QB room.  Brown - hopefully he was cheap.
Greetings Chuck, definitely agree that teams and fans get caught up in free agency. It's probably better if Miami doesn't spend a lot in free agency, look at last season, they already unloaded KVN and Shaq Lawson, not sure why they went and got those guys if they didn't want them to stay here. It doesn't send the best message to other potential free agents either but in theory I think it's better to build thru the Draft. The next thing I would like to see Miami do is turn 4 picks in the Top 6 into about 6-7 in the Top 75 plus grab some more picks thru trades for next season. 

Brown? Rookies make less and have potentially more upside than he does but OK. 

yet another reminder these are the win the FA battle Dolphins.  Frankly, it pleases me. 
We've all graduated from the Miami Dolphins FA "Winners" over the last many many years, I agree with you TT but the Patriots are going to be a lot better and Buffalo has Josh Allen, the Jets are going to be making noise quickly, not sure where we are at after going 10-6 but showing zero offense at times and just crushed in Week 17 when we needed a win to go 11-5 and make the Playoffs. 

Was this a Playoff team? Not really. 

I think fans need to be ready for a potential 8-8 or worse season this year, Miami was 0-7, stripped bare and looking like a sure thing for Joe Burrow midway in 2019 but then they started winning and have gone 15-10 since that 0-7 start and I think that run has shielded how bad this team was and we don't have a lot of long term solutions anywhere. 

QB? We don't know

RB? Not much

WR? Albert Wilson, Allen Hurns, these are the guys on the roster right now. 

TE? We got a good one but now we gotta pay him. 

OL? You tell me, we have 4 from the 2020 class now on the OL, it's going to take time for them to come together. 

DL? Ogbah has 1 yr left, Wilkins hasn't been all that and we don't have much after that. 

LB? We don't even have 4 on the roster we could start and this is a base 3-4 Defense.  

DB? Howard maybe but he's wanting more money. 

Kicker-We got him locked up this off season 👍

Just being honest here

Bargain bin FA shopping.

Building through the draft - hope they know what their doing.
agreed. Really would've liked Curtis Samuel.  We'll never know what the offer was but since he and McLaurin talking about playing together since Freshman year I gather they'd have had to overpay.

Without filling any holes in FA, it now somehow seems like they don't have enough top 50 picks (currently 4).

I would have liked Samuel and Reddick for their deals, if that was an option.

I'm also getting nervous waiting on Andrews to sign. If he goes elsewhere and we're starting Dieter next to Flower on the OL, it won't matter if Dalvin Cook is the RB, the run game will suck. Maybe the plan is a rookie, but are you getting a day 1 starter any later than 50?

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Skura at Center is not exciting at all. Didn't he get benched?
Matt Skura

I don't write this stuff but it seems he ranked 4th in pass blocking 96% win in pass-block ratio which isn't a bad thing but yeah he's the dude who was having snap issues at some point. UDFA out of Duke 2016, 28 yrs old, I think they can get at least as good as they got from Karras last season who was average IMO. 

We don't know how much yet but it can't be a lot of money. Miami is making no long term investments just yet. 

agreed. Really would've liked Curtis Samuel.  We'll never know what the offer was but since he and McLaurin talking about playing together since Freshman year I gather they'd have had to overpay.
3 yrs/$37.5 M so let him enjoy hooking up with FitzMagic, I'll be happy to root from afar. 

Miami is looking more obvious to me they are taking a WR in the 1st 2-3-4 selections of this year's Draft. 

Without filling any holes in FA, it now somehow seems like they don't have enough top 50 picks (currently 4).

I would have liked Samuel and Reddick for their deals, if that was an option.

I'm also getting nervous waiting on Andrews to sign. If he goes elsewhere and we're starting Dieter next to Flower on the OL, it won't matter if Dalvin Cook is the RB, the run game will suck. Maybe the plan is a rookie, but are you getting a day 1 starter any later than 50?
I think they will have as many 6+ in that Top50 before things are done. To start, trading back with some of these Top10 teams is the opp to pick up a high 2nd round pick in the 33-48 range depending on who they want to play ball with. They could trade back again even after a good haul trading down from 3 depending on what the board looks like. I am not expecting them to go flashy at 3 with Smith or Chase but I can see them trading down a few and still getting a Pitts at TE if they want to run a 2 TE set which I think they should with Tua, I am not a fan of 3-Wide for him which means Miami doesn't need a topflight slot WR. They could be a Pitts and a Marshall or Moore from being explosive on offense depending on how those 4 second-year OL gel and comes together. I don't see Miami investing heavy or top picks on the OL unless someone special falls. 

Oh and meet Skura from Baltimore which is presently going to be our starting Center. 

What a difference an afternoon makes! I feel better after today with Fuller and Skura on board.
I was out most of the afternoon/evening, just hearing about Fuller after I saw the post.

That is really an interesting move, you cannot count on Fuller for much but when he hits he can turn a game around, might be what the Phine need. 

$10 million for one year to get Fuller is a really nice deal. I still think we see a high pick used on the WR position too.
Miami seems to want guys they can get on 1-year deals sorta 1 year prove it scenarios and they will see what he is like thru camp, can always tack on a couple more like they did with Parker rather quickly and they still are in good shape with him, after June 1st they can release Parker for like less than $3M ATC, and it would free up something like $8M in cap space so Miami might not be done wheeling and dealing at WR. 

Miami seems to want guys they can get on 1-year deals sorta 1 year prove it scenarios and they will see what he is like thru camp, can always tack on a couple more like they did with Parker rather quickly and they still are in good shape with him, after June 1st they can release Parker for like less than $3M ATC, and it would free up something like $8M in cap space so Miami might not be done wheeling and dealing at WR. 
On one hand it is good to see that the team understands how to structure things to avoid being burdened a bit better. The Jones contract from last year is a rough one, especially with all the good CBs on the market. On the other, I really was hoping to see a big OL addition. Tua really needs to be put in a position to succeed (Fuller is a good step). I really hope a Center is still drafted.

Just isn't going to make sense to pay Parker that much if they intend to draft a WR too. I do think Chase, Smith, and Waddle are all very good options...particularly if they trade down.

There are also holes that need to be plugged in the front 7 now too.

@SoBeDad  @greedygoat  @ChuckLiddell  @Desert_Power  @jtd13  @TripleThreat  @=Smackdown= @Todem 

When are we going to discuss how much Chris Grier sucks as a GM? He has even more power now. Salguero had an article I can get a link to it but basically Grier takes ownership over 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and this will be his 6th Draft. It talks about how many of his moves are hard to measure like draft Tunsil but then trade him for picks we are using now but he also has some real abominations on his resume. 

I really am having a hard time being fully into everything about the Miami Dolphins with this guy running the ship...word is he told Ross to fire him when he took Minkah Fitzpatrick, Ross wanted to to trade back and get more picks. not that Stephen Ross would ever really be in on the actual moves the Phins make...kinda scary he sits in on the Draft nights, Ross has some fo the worst NFL IQ of an owner I have ever seen.   

So this is a gentle reminder from your friendly neighborhood MoP that basically is a broken record in many forms that has repeatedly tried to warn everyone that things are not even close to good here. 10-6 and Coach Flo can make you pop out those rose colored glasses from the 70s and 80s but the truth is Grier has not done very well with his selections and I don't think 2020 was a major haul plus Christian Wilkins has like 3 sacks and the guy taken a couple after him in Carolina, Brian Burns who has like 16 sacks already in the same timeframe. There's a lot to be skeptical about here is all I am saying and we are giving them credit for not making moves in free agency...maybe we should not be giving Miami that much credit yet. 

-I need to see them do something amazing in the Draft this year and if they draft a WR at No 3, I will eat my vintage Phins trucker cap. The 1st thing I would do is trade WITH Carolina so they can use the 3-pick to get Watson, we will not be afforded an option to trade for him...Houston will never trade back for picks they sent away and lose Watson, not happening. But if Carolina owns the 3-pick, different story and that Carolina Owner is a piece of work so why not capitalize on his nonstop relentless effort to get a franchise QB, I'm mocking here because of the news and media stories about him. I would like to see the Phins trade down with anyone who has a 2nd rd pick between 33-45 or thereabouts. Trade down and get another Top-50 Draft selection, I would like to see them do this a couple times and turn 4 into 6. I'm not as impressed at the top of the Draft and think they can easily find a solid person to draft in almost every spot where a flashy name is being billed like WR at No 3, that's the stuff teams do that never make the Playoffs and I think Coach Flo ain't dumb so i think the Phins trade down. Others have posted similar things but I am trying to work out the logistics. Carolina has the No 39 Selection and we can swap 3 for 8, maybe even get a little more in return. 

I know Fuller scores a lot of love ng TD’s. Are they run after the catch or deep balls? A deep ball guy doesn’t seem a fit with what they seem to be letting Tua do.

-I need to see them do something amazing in the Draft this year and if they draft a WR at No 3, I will eat my vintage Phins trucker cap. The 1st thing I would do is trade WITH Carolina so they can use the 3-pick to get Watson, we will not be afforded an option to trade for him...Houston will never trade back for picks they sent away and lose Watson, not happening. But if Carolina owns the 3-pick, different story and that Carolina Owner is a piece of work so why not capitalize on his nonstop relentless effort to get a franchise QB, I'm mocking here because of the news and media stories about him. I would like to see the Phins trade down with anyone who has a 2nd rd pick between 33-45 or thereabouts. Trade down and get another Top-50 Draft selection, I would like to see them do this a couple times and turn 4 into 6. I'm not as impressed at the top of the Draft and think they can easily find a solid person to draft in almost every spot where a flashy name is being billed like WR at No 3, that's the stuff teams do that never make the Playoffs and I think Coach Flo ain't dumb so i think the Phins trade down. Others have posted similar things but I am trying to work out the logistics. Carolina has the No 39 Selection and we can swap 3 for 8, maybe even get a little more in return. 
You hit that right!  Tepper has been looking to sell what ever it takes to get a Franchise QB.  CMC was on the block in some regards but his new $ make him a challenge to move.  

I still think Carolina makes a move on Watson but doubt they do much else. 

Dolphins waived OT Isaiah Wilson.

Wilson was late for his physical, on-boarding process and skipped voluntary workouts. He also "refused team efforts to help him to get his life on track" after a lost rookie year. Wilson lasted less than two weeks in Miami after washing out his first year in Tennessee. Releasing Wilson won't cost anything since his salary guarantees were already voided. Wilson has been a total bust since getting drafted with No. 29 overall pick last year. His off-field baggage makes him unlikely to resurface this season.
Nice of the Fins to give him a chance. But this guy must be a total trainwreck of a human being.

SwampDawg said:
@Ministry of Pain would love to trade back with Carolina but unfortunately the trade market for Watson has taken a hit the last few days. Not sure he gets moved before the draft at this point unless things clear up.
Great post SD but I think Watson is still worth his weight in gold, Miami would be the luckiest team in Babylon to acquire his services, but that's me. 

Birdie048 said:
You hit that right!  Tepper has been looking to sell what ever it takes to get a Franchise QB.  CMC was on the block in some regards but his new $ make him a challenge to move.  

I still think Carolina makes a move on Watson but doubt they do much else. 
Much appreciated 

Andy Dufresne said:
Nice of the Fins to give him a chance. But this guy must be a total trainwreck of a human being.
It's stunning because on paper this Wilson character is from the same area or school as Flo, they liked him last year in the draft and you start looking at all this and I hate to say it but the Titans fans and the Titans in general tried to tell folks you DO NOT WANT this guy on your roster to the point they might have even been offered more for him by Miami and they might have said "let's just swap some late picks so there's no hard feelings here" and I am totally shooting from the hip. Call me naive but 3 Days?! I'm kinda shocked that this guy couldn't pull it together and I'm honestly worried for his safety at this point. 

Good to see you AD, stop by the Phins thread anytime 👍

SoBeDad said:
Pitts would give us flexibility in dealing with Gesicki's 2022 contract. But leave a hole at WR in 2022, assuming Parker is cut and Fuller is gone. 
There's a boatload of WRs the Phins can grab this year, 2nd Rd, 3rd Rd, there are some real gems long after Smith and Waddle are gone early. Nothing to cry about if the Phins go Pitts and then maybe Moore/Marshall possibly in the 2nd. And Miami did sign Fuller so they have plans to open up the offense, might not need a rookie impact WR in 2021 after all but a 2-TE formation with Pitts-Gesicki, help stabilize and exploit their OL which is going to need a couple more pieces at least this year. 

They signed some stiff from Cinci and then they extended Shaheen? Last season i think, Miami might just role with Gesicki at TE1 and might not be thinking like the rest of us up here in the nose bleed seats. 

There's a boatload of WRs the Phins can grab this year, 2nd Rd, 3rd Rd, there are some real gems long after Smith and Waddle are gone early. Nothing to cry about if the Phins go Pitts and then maybe Moore/Marshall possibly in the 2nd. And Miami did sign Fuller so they have plans to open up the offense, might not need a rookie impact WR in 2021 after all but a 2-TE formation with Pitts-Gesicki, help stabilize and exploit their OL which is going to need a couple more pieces at least this year. 

They signed some stiff from Cinci and then they extended Shaheen? Last season i think, Miami might just role with Gesicki at TE1 and might not be thinking like the rest of us up here in the nose bleed seats. 
If they slide down a few slots and get Pitts plus an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, that extra pick could be the developmental WR. Pick 1.18 is looking more like defensive help at the edge, or the LB from ND. The two second rounders should be chosen from RB and BPA.

It's a longshot:

>> Dolphins sign former UTEP player Kai Locksley, who threw 9 TDs and 14 INTs as a QB at UTEP and is now trying to make the NFL as a receiver. Son of Maryland coach Mike Locksley<<

He has size (6'3.5", 209lbs) and athleticism (RAS score of 8.68), but converting to WR in the NFL from QB in college i not easy. Now the Dolphins have 3 players who could play the wildcat - Perry, Bowden and Locksley.

-Matt Skura's OC in Baltimore, Greg Roman, says that Skura is "very intelligent" and can play Center and Guard. He will be given a chance to start. 

-Brennan Scarlett 260 lb LB was signed for depth at and also special teams play. He comes from Houston.

-Duke Riley sure seems excited and also has infectious energy, like what i am seeing from him answering simple questions from some of the media that reached out to him. Photo of him signing his contract. He was traded to Philly in 2019 and was the Special Teams Captain in 2020. You gotta have these guys and win special teams, we have one of the better kickers in the league already. 

I also want to add that from what i am reading, the Miami Dolphins are not promising any of these players exactly what role they are going to have, none of that is discussed when they go to sign their players. I guess they want guys that will do whatever it takes. 

Vince Biegel was resigned and both sides seem excited for him to be back after injury last year.

Mack Hollins was resigned 🤷‍♂️  and the Phins signed WR-Kai Locksley, you're guess is as good as mine...he was a QB at UTEP, he's a project. 

And that's about the latest. 

@SoBeDad  @greedygoat  @ChuckLiddell  @Desert_Power  @jtd13  @TripleThreat  @=Smackdown= @Todem 

When are we going to discuss how much Chris Grier sucks as a GM? He has even more power now. Salguero had an article I can get a link to it but basically Grier takes ownership over 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and this will be his 6th Draft. It talks about how many of his moves are hard to measure like draft Tunsil but then trade him for picks we are using now but he also has some real abominations on his resume. 

I really am having a hard time being fully into everything about the Miami Dolphins with this guy running the ship...word is he told Ross to fire him when he took Minkah Fitzpatrick, Ross wanted to to trade back and get more picks. not that Stephen Ross would ever really be in on the actual moves the Phins make...kinda scary he sits in on the Draft nights, Ross has some fo the worst NFL IQ of an owner I have ever seen.   

So this is a gentle reminder from your friendly neighborhood MoP that basically is a broken record in many forms that has repeatedly tried to warn everyone that things are not even close to good here. 10-6 and Coach Flo can make you pop out those rose colored glasses from the 70s and 80s but the truth is Grier has not done very well with his selections and I don't think 2020 was a major haul plus Christian Wilkins has like 3 sacks and the guy taken a couple after him in Carolina, Brian Burns who has like 16 sacks already in the same timeframe. There's a lot to be skeptical about here is all I am saying and we are giving them credit for not making moves in free agency...maybe we should not be giving Miami that much credit yet. 

A lot has changed since this post regarding Watson.  I dont think anybody is going to trade for him at this point.  This story keeps getting uglier.  I would not be surprised to see a press conference from him stating his "sex addiction" and that he is taking 2021 off to get help and become a better person.  I can't see a team taking on this weight right now, in addition to giving up 3 first round picks+. 

Now the hope is that the market for Fields/Wilson is strong enough for a team like Carolina or Denver to pony up for whichever one may still be there if/after the Jets snag one of the two.  I am betting Denver trades for Minshew, which would make Carolina our only legit trade partner.  The Jets at 2 may also trade down with Carolina, which could leave us with nobody willing to pay fair market for that move-up.  In which case, who do we take?  Sewell?  Offensive success starts at the OL - we all know this.  If they love him as much as the media seems to, I think thats the pick if they are forced to stay there.  Of course, Chase is enticing too.  Think about the fact that he was the WR1 and Justin Jefferson was the 2 in that offense in 2019.  Dude may be a true game-changer.  Not sure any of Chase/Fuller/Parker are cut out for the slot, but that trio with Williams as the 4 and Gisecki would be pretty daunting.  

A lot has changed since this post regarding Watson.  I dont think anybody is going to trade for him at this point.  This story keeps getting uglier.  I would not be surprised to see a press conference from him stating his "sex addiction" and that he is taking 2021 off to get help and become a better person.  I can't see a team taking on this weight right now, in addition to giving up 3 first round picks+. 

Now the hope is that the market for Fields/Wilson is strong enough for a team like Carolina or Denver to pony up for whichever one may still be there if/after the Jets snag one of the two.  I am betting Denver trades for Minshew, which would make Carolina our only legit trade partner.  The Jets at 2 may also trade down with Carolina, which could leave us with nobody willing to pay fair market for that move-up.  In which case, who do we take?  Sewell?  Offensive success starts at the OL - we all know this.  If they love him as much as the media seems to, I think thats the pick if they are forced to stay there.  Of course, Chase is enticing too.  Think about the fact that he was the WR1 and Justin Jefferson was the 2 in that offense in 2019.  Dude may be a true game-changer.  Not sure any of Chase/Fuller/Parker are cut out for the slot, but that trio with Williams as the 4 and Gisecki would be pretty daunting.  
If Atlanta is sold on Fields, I could see them trading up one slot to prevent another team from doing a trade with Miami. The cost for Atlanta would be about a 3rd and a 4th this year.

I think the Dolphins have done a pretty bad job with the draft capital they have had the last few drafts, including QB. With that said, that was an awesome trade. 

We may still get Chase with that pick, and get the extra draft capital. If so, bravo.
Or Sewell.  Gotta think the Jets were offered the same deal and stayed put, which means they are probably using it on a QB.  Lawrence, Wilson, Fields probably top 3.  Atlanta - not sure but probably not Chase.  Maybe Sewell.  Cinci could possibly take Sewell or Chase.  Possible we are left without either one at 6.  Maybe Pitts then?  Smith?  Or trade it again?

Users who are viewing this thread