What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Draft Time (7 Viewers)

This Draft has been all about the Phins taking the other guy I was hoping they passed up. 

Again at 81, no problem putting another TE into the mix and developing a guy in case we cannot hold on to Gesicki. Hunter Long is not a terrible prospect however I would have preferred any guesses? Brevin Jordan who was very good at catching the football for the Hurricanes. But Miami did add another potential weapon for Tua and also drafted a top line WR(so say all of you) and a pretty solid OL, RB obviously is not an issue to the Phins right now. 

Interesting Draft, not sure how I would grade it overall. 

Hunter Long... Interesting more a replacement for Smythe than Gesicki
They extended Shaheen in October to a 2 yr/$5M extension, Smythe is due $2M this year vs not much if they release him. Smythe was a 4th Round pick from ND and there isn't really a major reason to keep him especially if he doesn't factor to get a 2nd deal from Miami or really anyone. Part of the deal that New Eng does is letting guys they draft walk but then at least getting a compensatory pick. I don't see that happening with Smythe. 

Kinda boring pick to close the evening. 

This Draft has been all about the Phins taking the other guy I was hoping they passed up. 

Again at 81, no problem putting another TE into the mix and developing a guy in case we cannot hold on to Gesicki. Hunter Long is not a terrible prospect however I would have preferred any guesses? Brevin Jordan who was very good at catching the football for the Hurricanes. But Miami did add another potential weapon for Tua and also drafted a top line WR(so say all of you) and a pretty solid OL, RB obviously is not an issue to the Phins right now. 

Interesting Draft, not sure how I would grade it overall. 
Giving up their own 2022 3rd to move up to pick Liam Eichenbeg, not good. I think the trade up wasn't necessary. It did start a run on tackles. They got the first safety, not sure if it was the right one. The first edge guy in Phillips, a high risk, high reward pick. The fastest WR and best return man. Hunter Long, yes insurance for Gesicki's cost next year. 

Is it safe to say the Dolphins backfield will look similar to a last year (Gaskin RB2 with upside) at this time or am I jumping the gun.

Is it safe to say the Dolphins backfield will look similar to a last year (Gaskin RB2 with upside) at this time or am I jumping the gun.
You have Lev Bell, Todd Gurley and Rex Burkehead walking the streets right now. 

Miami could still take one at the No 156 pick, Hill from Miss St has been mentioned a few times. 

Gaskin is going to see half the workload if he is healthy at this point. It doesn't really look like anyone is going to be rushing for 1,000 yds this season. Gaskin has avg 3.7 and 4.1 ypc his 2 seasons and rushed for 584 yards last year, he's a part time guy in reality. 41/388 wouldn't look for a huge repeat with all the added weapons, Gaskin could actually take a step back, would not pencil him in for 50 receptions. 

Brown and Ahmed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of some head scratchers here, but for the most part miami (and the nfl in general) are not as high in some players as the mocks were. 4 rbs in the top 3 rounds?  No safeties in round one. WR valued all over the place. 

the hunter long pick goes back to missing out on pitts in my mind. Dolphins have an idea of what they want the offense to look like and it needed either another TE or they have some deals in place for the glut of wr/te they have in the room. 

As for RB: I think we see another deal at some point ala what they did last year. I keep hearing a Kareem hunt rumor but not sure from where I saw that. Meanwhile Denver has a glut at rb and there are some guys on the street as well.  Also, Miami can still draft a guy. 

finally 2 of Miami’s picks are returners. One on o (waddle) and one on d (Holland). 

Kind of some head scratchers here, but for the most part miami (and the nfl in general) are not as high in some players as the mocks were. 4 rbs in the top 3 rounds?  No safeties in round one. WR valued all over the place. 

the hunter long pick goes back to missing out on pitts in my mind. Dolphins have an idea of what they want the offense to look like and it needed either another TE or they have some deals in place for the glut of wr/te they have in the room. 

As for RB: I think we see another deal at some point ala what they did last year. I keep hearing a Kareem hunt rumor but not sure from where I saw that. Meanwhile Denver has a glut at rb and there are some guys on the street as well.  Also, Miami can still draft a guy. 

finally 2 of Miami’s picks are returners. One on o (waddle) and one on d (Holland). 
I'm not that upset this morning on them going TE at 81. it's good business and i don't think it would hurt Gesicki at all. Also Mike makes great catches and gets banged up at times. 

Marino had Hardy-Dan Johnson-Joe Rose and yes Jim Crash Jensen at times who was a swiss army knife at Tight End. 

Gesicki-Long-Smythe for right now, good nucleus. Extra blockers as well on short yardage. 

Eich will move inside to LG or possible RG, roll Kindley over to LG, still have Fluker and Jesse Davis, Skura and Dieter. Would have loved Meinerz at 81 before Denver took both WIlliams and Quinn, I had them both going to Miami in the 2nd. 

Waddle-Phillips-Holland as the 1-2-3, I think i talked endlessly about the need at Safety for them and getting younger there, that happened with Holland coming on. I liked Moerhig a lot but Holland is an exciting Safety and can do many things, he could easily be the prize in this group with Richie Grant, etc...

RB-Hill Miss State at the 156, how about we do that today and get another RB to compete with Gaskin, Ahmed and Malcolm Brown?

Dolphins draft for need and no do much for BPA it seems.

They also really like versatile players - being able to play numerous positions. 

Dolphins draft for need and no do much for BPA it seems.

They also really like versatile players - being able to play numerous positions. 
Maybe.  I think when you are just starting year three of a rebuild (really year 2 bc the first year was more of a tear down), you are obviously not going to shore up every position.  So, what have they done and what havent they done?

QB: Got who they believe is their guy, and got him a solid backup.  May need another "project" but whatever

RB: Still not addressing an apparent need either bc they don't think it is a need r other teams keep sniping them

WR/TE: Plenty of players and definitely trying to get faster. Can't argue with what they have done here.

OLINE; full rebuild in process with rookies up and down the line.  Center position still needs some clarity (maybe today)

D Line: Picked a player to be their lynchpin, but they are creative in getting to the QB

LB: No draft help as yet, but plenty of FA buying here.

DB/S: Continuing to tinker with a great unit.  Building a true "cover zero" defense.

Special teams: Gunners, kickers, and now adding two potential draft picks that can return.  Oh, by the way, they have another returner in grant on their roster (but with Waddle and Holland I assume he is on the bubble now).

Again, with 5 picks in the top 3 rounds they were not going to fix every need.  RB and LB seem like where they punted, but to be honest in todays NFL those are the spots you can tend to fix last.

I love the trade down with SF to get 2 future 1st and and future 3rd. But not the trade ups.

If they had stayed at 12, BPA would've been Slater or Parsons, filling a need. Some say Slater is better than Sewell at pass protection. Phillips at 18, high risk, high reward, let's keep it. Then Holland at 2.04, keep it, and Marshall at 2.18. And keep the 3 future picks. If Miami is worse than SF, they're at a net loss in draft capital.

Also, during draft day they could've dangled the future draft picks to move up, perhaps for a CB like Adebo or Robinson, cause the AFC east could have the best QBs top to bottom by 2022.

I love the trade down with SF to get 2 future 1st and and future 3rd. But not the trade ups.

If they had stayed at 12, BPA would've been Slater or Parsons, filling a need. Some say Slater is better than Sewell at pass protection. Phillips at 18, high risk, high reward, let's keep it. Then Holland at 2.04, keep it, and Marshall at 2.18. And keep the 3 future picks. If Miami is worse than SF, they're at a net loss in draft capital.

Also, during draft day they could've dangled the future draft picks to move up, perhaps for a CB like Adebo or Robinson, cause the AFC east could have the best QBs top to bottom by 2022.
You could say the same thing about the Bengals. Taking Chase over Sewell or slater with Marshall being around seems like a bad move.

If (If) I was the GM, and without the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure my draft would be any different except for Williams (if they actually wanted him) and maybe the trade up for the tackle.  With the benefit of Hindsight, I likely don't make any trades in the first place and take pitts, or if not, make the trade and keep the picks and move up to get D Smith at 10 (like philly did).  I could also argue taking Etienne or Harris at 18 knowing full well that plenty of pass rushers would be there at 36, 50, and even 81.

Some good insight pulled from twitter regarding our RB situation.  I love what I see in the first one and agree completely with the second one:

Travis Wingfield

@WingfieldNFL

Gaskin averaged 97.2 YFS/game last year, 11th in the NFL. Every Tuesday (player day off) he was out there getting extra work. Coaches love his work ethic, praised the strides he made in 2020. Jerome Baker told us: anyone who’s been around Myles isn’t surprised by his production

Kyle Crabbs

@GrindingTheTape

Normalize embracing that you can upgrade the running game by infusing two 4.3 WRs to lift the extra safety out of the box and better blockers into the offense just like you can upgrade by adding a new running back.

Some good insight pulled from twitter regarding our RB situation.  I love what I see in the first one and agree completely with the second one:

Travis Wingfield

@WingfieldNFL

Gaskin averaged 97.2 YFS/game last year, 11th in the NFL. Every Tuesday (player day off) he was out there getting extra work. Coaches love his work ethic, praised the strides he made in 2020. Jerome Baker told us: anyone who’s been around Myles isn’t surprised by his production

Kyle Crabbs

@GrindingTheTape

Normalize embracing that you can upgrade the running game by infusing two 4.3 WRs to lift the extra safety out of the box and better blockers into the offense just like you can upgrade by adding a new running back.
And a better oline, hopefully. 

I was referring more to Smythe as the more all around v Gesicki whose blocking has improved but is still somewhat limited.  
Long is a decent prospect for a year or two down the road, He has solid hands and is an actual in line TE they can use to disguise run/pass, another option in the playbook even if it's not a mainstream option all the time. Red Zone, etc...think he will be OK for us. 

As you mentioned, they coached him at the Senior Bowl, I'll hold them personally responsible for him. 

Grier waiting till the 7th to take a RB. Gerrid Doaks, Cin. 228 pound banger with some athleticism. 39.5 inch vertical, soft hands, injury history includes sports hernia. Does history repeat with another 7th round RB? If he stays healthy, does he play ahead of Malcolm Brown, whose $1.75 mil contract is guaranteed?

Some video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePzOSONhu08
I like it:

G.DOAKS @gdoaks23 · 19h

If you don’t want your QB hit, take me

I'm not that down on Liam Eichnberg, he's going to spark some fire in these 2nd year OL we drafted last year. Cam Liam be anything like Zack Martin for the Dallas Cowboys? 4x All Pro and perhaps future HoF? Probably a pipe dream but how about a solid LG/RG Miami can plug in immediately and help straiten out the OL? 

👍

Ask me tomorrow though because I might change my mind

More Eichenberg hype and the more I read up the more I like. Didn't allow a sack in like forever, that's pretty good for a Left Tackle that doesn't have great QBs and RBs behind him, like him better by the minute. 

More Eichenberg hype and the more I read up the more I like. Didn't allow a sack in like forever, that's pretty good for a Left Tackle that doesn't have great QBs and RBs behind him, like him better by the minute. 
I just don’t see it for him in the pros. Extremely stiff, the speed and power of pass rushers he will consistently see are going to give him a ton of trouble if he sticks at tackle, and his stiffness will hurt as a guard as well. They reached for two o linemen in consecutive drafts. They could have righted the Austin Jackson wrong by taking Sewell.

I just don’t see it for him in the pros. Extremely stiff, the speed and power of pass rushers he will consistently see are going to give him a ton of trouble if he sticks at tackle, and his stiffness will hurt as a guard as well. They reached for two o linemen in consecutive drafts. They could have righted the Austin Jackson wrong by taking Sewell.
I am pretty sure that when they drafted Austin Jackson they knew he was a project.  Then he didnt get to have a preseason, or much of an offseason.  I'd pump the brakes on jumping to the conclusion that he was a bad pick.  

Completely agree. Jackson, Hunt, and Kindley showed flashes but didn't play enough together.
Flo wants competition on the oline. Sewell would've been an instant starter, probably at RT, but there would've been a dropoff at the WR they would've been likely to draft - maybe Terrance Marshall at 2.50, also with health concerns. Eichenberg provides quality competition at tackle, supposedly he was the most NFL-ready tackle after Sewell and Slater. Hunt showed the most promise at RT - but coaches think he could be special at RG. Jackson needs to improve. 

Instead of Hunter Long, I would've pick Dyami Brown with the idea that Parker would be gone in 2022. Pay Gesicki in 2022, cause he's a top receiving TE. 

Flo wants competition on the oline. Sewell would've been an instant starter, probably at RT, but there would've been a dropoff at the WR they would've been likely to draft - maybe Terrance Marshall at 2.50, also with health concerns. Eichenberg provides quality competition at tackle, supposedly he was the most NFL-ready tackle after Sewell and Slater. Hunt showed the most promise at RT - but coaches think he could be special at RG. Jackson needs to improve.
I love Flo's mindset on this. It's a very Belichick approach.

Jesse Davis is there with 56 starts at a variety of positions. Deiter is still in the mix. There will be a lot of players pushing each other. A lot of players that can compete at multiple positions. It's a deep line, with unproven performance.

It has to work this year though. Otherwise the GM and maybe coach are looking for different jobs.

We are all pretty sure he is playing Flowers LG spot, in fact he might not even startWeek 1, we have a couple other guys that will have to be passed on the depth chart. I don't think Eich is expected to play either Tackle spot right away. Zach martin was a Tackle at Notre Dame to my knowledge, certainly a better prospect coming out of college vs Eich but I feel strongly Miami drafted him to play inside.

Phins coaches seem to gravitate to guys they can move around in other spots. It's the way Flores likes to play defense and he also seems to like OL that can play a couple spots. But Eich will settle in at IOL and he already said he would line up wherever Miami tells him to, sounds like he knows already.  

I love Flo's mindset on this. It's a very Belichick approach.

Jesse Davis is there with 56 starts at a variety of positions. Deiter is still in the mix. There will be a lot of players pushing each other. A lot of players that can compete at multiple positions. It's a deep line, with unproven performance.

It has to work this year though. Otherwise the GM and maybe coach are looking for different jobs
FYI, Flo signed a fully guaranteed 5 yr deal, that's how good Ross is as an owner, only coach i know who got something like that. basically did not believe in the Dolphins and Ross and rather than risk embarrassment he simply put Miami on notice from the start that he was doing things his way. Grier and Flo do not argue with each other to my knowledge, they seem very united when they speak even when they are not in the same building. 

Now I will also share as you clearly read on a regular basis that i am skeptical, very much so of Grier's ability to make selections in these drafts. 

-Love the Jesse Davis reminder, 56 starts and you can bet he will be asked to hep Eich adjust. Fluker was signed and could play one of the inside spots, Kindley will have to show big improvement. 

I like your depth approach and yes I agree that Miami OL is going to be fun to watch grow this season. 

RB’s can absolutely be found on the streets. Gaskin is a great story.....but is not the type of RB that will carry an offense or be a guy you can lean on when you need to shorten the game. I really wanted the Dolphins to have a a bonafide stud and passing Najee Harris stung. 

Now he will have all kinds of problems in Pittsburgh because they cannot run block at all. There was a reason they stunk last year running the football. 

My apprehension is we took the wrong edge rusher. It will be a Boom or bust pick and nothing in between IMO. Phillips will make or break the draft long term for the Dolphins. 

Love the safety we drafted. A weapon on defense. Versatile, ball hawk type. He can cover the slot, blitz and play center field. A great pick IMO. 

Waddle IMO is a superstar caliber player. A difference maker. I can see him having an immediate impact day one from the slot. Super excited about Waddle. 

But I still want the Dolphins to address the RB situation.....we need better DNA there. Gaskins and malcom Brown are not the guys. So let’s see what they do in the summer because I do not think we are done with the RB position. And if Myles Gaskin takes another step in the right direction? I will be his biggest fan. But I just do not see that. He is what he is. JAG.

And all of this.......all of this comes down to one thing.

Tua.

Will he be the guy or not. I was a Justin Herbert advocate......and I think we blew it again passing on him for a guy who has an inferior arm, inferior size......and is a lefty. 

Flores and Grier will forever be judged on the Tua pick.

Prove me wrong Tua......be a winner.

We are 3 drafts into the rebuild. You know what that means? Rebuild is over. It is time to see a post season appearance. It is time to see and 11 win season and signs we are right there to challenge for a Super Bowl. No more excuses, no more of any talk about give it time.

The time is now. 

3 drafts.......show me.....don’t tell me.

RB’s can absolutely be found on the streets. Gaskin is a great story.....but is not the type of RB that will carry an offense or be a guy you can lean on when you need to shorten the game. I really wanted the Dolphins to have a a bonafide stud and passing Najee Harris stung. 

Now he will have all kinds of problems in Pittsburgh because they cannot run block at all. There was a reason they stunk last year running the football. 

My apprehension is we took the wrong edge rusher. It will be a Boom or bust pick and nothing in between IMO. Phillips will make or break the draft long term for the Dolphins. 

Love the safety we drafted. A weapon on defense. Versatile, ball hawk type. He can cover the slot, blitz and play center field. A great pick IMO. 

Waddle IMO is a superstar caliber player. A difference maker. I can see him having an immediate impact day one from the slot. Super excited about Waddle. 

But I still want the Dolphins to address the RB situation.....we need better DNA there. Gaskins and malcom Brown are not the guys. So let’s see what they do in the summer because I do not think we are done with the RB position. And if Myles Gaskin takes another step in the right direction? I will be his biggest fan. But I just do not see that. He is what he is. JAG.

And all of this.......all of this comes down to one thing.

Tua.

Will he be the guy or not. I was a Justin Herbert advocate......and I think we blew it again passing on him for a guy who has an inferior arm, inferior size......and is a lefty. 

Flores and Grier will forever be judged on the Tua pick.

Prove me wrong Tua......be a winner.

We are 3 drafts into the rebuild. You know what that means? Rebuild is over. It is time to see a post season appearance. It is time to see and 11 win season and signs we are right there to challenge for a Super Bowl. No more excuses, no more of any talk about give it time.

The time is now. 

3 drafts.......show me.....don’t tell me.
Ok, 10 wins last year and missed the playoffs bc it was a fluky year. Solid defense that really only had trouble against the very best offenses (KC, buffalo) that continues to add players, and a suspect offense that was too slow, couldn’t separate and had three rookies on the o line. 

so now, it looks like they have addressed their speed issue on offense, gotten a bonafide pass rusher, added more beef on the o line, and improved their defensive backfield. 

only 2 spots not really addressed are running back and linebacker, but you can only do so much within the confines of a draft. 

(with that being said, the rb they took in the seventh looks like a beast. He also seems to have the will to be good)

RB Jaret Patterson (buf) is still out there. MJD bowling ball type runner. 

Nope, just signed with Washington.

Search function on FBG's news blog is about as good as this one.

-Former Georgia Tech cornerback and special teams standout Jaytlin Askew signs with the Dolphins

-Dolphins signing Alabama TE/FB Carl Tucker

-Indiana defensive tackle Jerome Johnson

-Robert Jones, OT, Middle Tennessee State

UDFAs we have signed 

Ok, 10 wins last year and missed the playoffs bc it was a fluky year. Solid defense that really only had trouble against the very best offenses (KC, buffalo) that continues to add players, and a suspect offense that was too slow, couldn’t separate and had three rookies on the o line. 

so now, it looks like they have addressed their speed issue on offense, gotten a bonafide pass rusher, added more beef on the o line, and improved their defensive backfield. 

only 2 spots not really addressed are running back and linebacker, but you can only do so much within the confines of a draft. 

(with that being said, the rb they took in the seventh looks like a beast. He also seems to have the will to be good)
If Tua is the goods we are on our way. If Phillips stays healthy he will be a beast. 

Love Love the Javon Holland pick. He is an elite and versatile safety who fits what Flores wants to do on defense. As much as we loved Minkah....he would not line up everywhere in Flores’s multi look defense and that is why he was shipped outta here. Great player....wrong scheme. Holland will be a stud.

The TE we took in the 3rd was a Ninja pick. The fact Flores coached the Senior Bowl was a nice advantage coming into this draft. Let’s hope it pays dividends.

I am super excited for the team. The offense has weapons. Stay healthy!!!! 

Overall Grade - B+

We shouldn’t be surprised by the “dumpster dive” approach to the running back position. Coach Flo saw it work in New England. I don’t necessarily like it, but I trust him. He’s gotten nearly every ounce out of the talent on the roster so far in his time here. A lot of experts seem to love our draft. As Todem points out though, it all comes down to Tua. He showed signs in a few games last year that he can play at this level. His injury shouldn’t be a concern any more, full off-season and camp/pre-season. Time to prove it. 

Users who are viewing this thread