What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (4 Viewers)

Skill Positions

We talked about Swift and Higgins but I will also say that with RBs walking the street like Freeman and others, maybe Miami should just push it off another round or two. Jordan Howard should be able to shoulder 240+ carries, we're not hunting for a starter this year in the draft although if they find the right one it makes sense. 
Would really like to see a running back that is quicker and can catch the ball

Is it okay that I hope the Dolphins don't take a RB until the 6th or 7th round and let Jones show his stuff? Congrats on getting Tua without having  to move at all. 

Miami has several pillars now along the DL for a 3-4 defense and that doesn't always equate to lots of sack totals.
I keep reminding myself the NEP model the Phins are following isn't about the sacks... it's about the scoreboard.  Miami played nickel 71% of the time... huge change from the previous regime. This model is about matchups, being multiple and making the other team kick punts and field goals.  

I just want to say I am really happy for the Dolphins fan base landing Tua without having to trade up to get him.

I think Tua is going be great and will make following the Dolphins enjoyable again. I still can't stand their beat writers but maybe I will go back to reading the Herald again now unless any of you have better suggestions?

I just want to say I am really happy for the Dolphins fan base landing Tua without having to trade up to get him.

I think Tua is going be great and will make following the Dolphins enjoyable again. I still can't stand their beat writers but maybe I will go back to reading the Herald again now unless any of you have better suggestions?
I really like Adam Beasley, Cote and Jackson are solid and $30 for the year is cheap ... not an Armando "fan" per se but not a hater... 

TBH the best free content IMO is from Five Reasons...really big fan of 3YardsPerCarry 

"I try to finish people." --Robert Hunt Miami Dolphins OL April 24, 2020

Robert Hunt says he's open and ready to play any position -- OG or OT.

Tua is a lefty, it's interesting if he ends up as their RT. Miami may have double dipped at OT. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting you have a couple of players like Jackson and Raekwon who each peaked before their last college season.  

Can't argue at all with the positions they have emphasized.  Overall the defense has added a ton of talent this offseason.

Still do not feel like the RB room is complete.  Hopefully some darts get thrown in at skill positions in the next couple of rounds.

Kindley in the 4th, this is a great selection and adds more beef inside. Maybe he doesn't start right away but Miami will be getting many of their rookies plenty of reps this season. 

Kindley was rated almost as high as Robert Hunt which Miami took in the 2nd. Quite frankly, Miami cannot have enough OL prospects, you can't just throw money at the problem and Flowers who is going to get $10M a season for the moment might not be here all that long and that's fine by me. What I'm saying is don't be surprised if players who were signed as immediate starters end up getting pushed out of here quickly.  

-Home Run if you can have such a thing for an OG but I really like the upside and program he is coming in from. 

Miami sent 136 and 141 to move up to 111, probably secured a 2nd round graded OG and that's why you want all these later round picks to find starters. Maybe Kindley takes a season of seasoning but he will be ready to contribute quickly and on a rookie salary as he comes on in Years 2 and 3, great work Miami.  

Miami may have added 2 starters but at least they have their interior line taking shape...LT-Jackson(R), LG-Hunt(R), C-Karras, RG-Flowers, RT-Davis with Dieter and Kindley ready to roll inside when called upon, some of this will be shuffled around but I like the way Miami is building the line and they will be ready to add that ONE guy at some point that will put them into the next level. 

Beefin' up! Love it!
What's interesting is their 2nd and 3rd selections at OL might end up being the 2 out of 3 that stick from those picks. I hope all 3 make it and become starters or solid contributers but if they got 2 Starters on that OL to build around and if Karras can anchor things this year at Center, not many teams have 5 Pro bowl level OL guys but if you have 2-3 that are above average you are ahead of the game. 

Miami has done it the right way by building the lines thru the last two drafts with Wilkins and Dieter last year, so far they have 4 of them this year and still have 7 picks left in the draft. Would like to see some RB or WR darts thrown and see if anything sticks. Preston Williams wasn't even drafted last year. 

Trade up to get Kindley, just icing on the cake right now IMO. Cannot praise them enough for taking large measures to make sure Tua is going to have success. 

And Ryan FitzMagic has to be a little excited to see all that beef being added to the OL while he teaches young Tua how to be a Pro. 

Dolphins Nation, Pop the Champagne!!! 

2020 AFC East Champs!!!

Dolphins acquired RB Matt Breida from the 49ers in exchange for the No. 154 overall pick
Interesting. He won't be asked to shoulder the load. Must mean Miami valued him over any other Rookie at this point obviously. 

Over 5 ypc the last 2 seasons in San Fran, granted this is Miami but he has looked good when called upon. He's been injured IIRC. 

I have always been a fan (and owner) of Brieda.  Very athletic and had the highest SPARQ in his class.  Like the rest of the 49ers backfield, he has always struggled to stay healthy.

Breida just turned 25 in Feb, guy is entering his prime. Only 3 Pro Years on those tires and I assume this could just be a 1 year deal. This would be Year 4 for him and so next season would like be his new deal unless Miami can get him into an extension over say 2-3 years right now...and the way the market has tanked for RBs he just might do it. 

1,900+ yds Rush/Rec '18 and '19 combined, 18 starts but in SF they have so many RBs. He has multiple games with silly rushing yards like 12/110, 14/115, 10/100, stuff like that. He has 46 catches over the last couple years, Miami has nobody like him after Howard who is a completely different RB and will see the bulk of the work load(Howard) it appears so far. 

I have always been a fan (and owner) of Brieda.  Very athletic and had the highest SPARQ in his class.  Like the rest of the 49ers backfield, he has always struggled to stay healthy.
Tony Nathan on roids, just stay healthy!!!!!!!!!!

If he can just stay on the field, I absolutely love this trade.  I'm surprised the 9ers dealt him.

Excellent depth.  They still need a another RB IMHO.

If he can just stay on the field, I absolutely love this trade.  I'm surprised the 9ers dealt him.

Excellent depth.  They still need a another RB IMHO.
Neither Howard or Breida have been used very heavily in the passing game, which feels like a hole.  I do think Breida has more potential in that phase.

ETA: Who is that in your avatar?

EDGE Curtis Weaver, Boise St come on down 6-3/265, he's not small. 

Some have a late 2nd Round grade, others as low as a 5th and since that's where they drafted him, I think they did pretty well trying to ring out some more potential guys that can actually make the roster. 

13.5 Sacks in 2019

34 for his CAREER at Boise ST, granted the talent he faced wasn't always top notch but he will do great for Miami 

EDGE Curtis Weaver, Boise St come on down 6-3/265, he's not small. 

Some have a late 2nd Round grade, others as low as a 5th and since that's where they drafted him, I think they did pretty well trying to ring out some more potential guys that can actually make the roster. 

13.5 Sacks in 2019

34 for his CAREER at Boise ST, granted the talent he faced wasn't always top notch but he will do great for Miami 
STEAL!!!!!!!

Grier grew a set on day 3, way to go Chris :thumbup:

As a new Boise resident, I've followed Boise State and watched every game last season. Weaver is a great pickup. I was hoping they'd grab him. Psyched!

Neither Howard or Breida have been used very heavily in the passing game, which feels like a hole.  I do think Breida has more potential in that phase.

Nadia Dawn.....I used to have her entire pic shown as my Avatar but a Mod on this site sent me an e-mail to only show the top part.

I couldn't believe it....she's not naked.

Apparently she's too much for them to handle.

Now this post will be deleted lol.

Every year I read that Howard has stated he's worked on his hands in the passing game.  He looked improved the last year he was with the Bears.  He got hurt last year with the Eagles.  I think he's underrated as a pass catcher and will be undervalued in redraft leagues.

Bredia has solid receiving skills, just hasn't been able to stay on the field to showcase them for a length of time.

Blaker Ferguson from LSU isn't just any old LS long snapper, I have heard and read several times that this guy's locker room presence is something beyond that of a normal LS. 

Miami has had guys like John Denney who played the position for almost 20 Seasons, this guy from LSU apparently is a great leader and Miami wanted to bring him in where he will actually compete for a spot on this team but he can play other special team spots as needed. 

Miami continues to put together one of their most impressive Drafts in quite a while. 

Scroll to Strowbridge

Tannenbaum has a GIF of this guy in a Senior Bowl drill and the footage speaks for itself. It's one play, guy wants to showcase his talent, I get all that but it shows some of the potential and he had a great attitude, said immediately he will play wherever they want him to go. All of these draft picks so far are saying the right things, you can see the quality of the player they are reaching out to find. I love it. I'm never excited about the Phins but it's starting to take shape what they want to build. 

You add in Weaver as an EDGE and then you go uptop to Raekwon Davis who might be a quality NT prospect even if he doesn't produce sacks. Miami has added 3 big bodies to compete into their F7 where they poured resources thru free agency with about 4-5 names I won't list them all here. And what about some of the names already on the roster like Wilkins and Godchaux, Miami might be a lot tougher to run the ball on. I also think their Secondary is going to be looking to pounce and set up short fields for a hit n miss offense for now. 

Really was a great draft for Miami.  Not messing up the Tua decision alone is a huge win.  I'm not going to claim to be a scouting expert, but the next 6 picks were all solid prospects at positions Miami needed to improve from 2019.  The dedication to building the OL through the draft is great to see, even if the picks don't work out.  Some of the late round picks seems good, but we're old enough to know how those work out.

When Gettleman was Panthers GM here in Charlotte he would always talk about building behind hog mollies.  Well, that seems like what Miami is trying.  At the very least, they are building a wall to protect Tua.

Speaking about Tua himself, I've always been a really big fan.  He has such a quick release whether throwing a bullet or a touch pass deep.  He is athletic and a confident decision maker.  Things you just cannot teach. However, he has been in a system that didn't depend on ability to read the defense quickly.  That is why I think it is perfect Miami is picking him, but will not depend on him to play his rookie year.  Give him time to adjust to speed/complexity of the NFL game.

I do disagree with @Todem, I think the aqua Tua jersey is the one to grab.

My one nitpick is that I was hoping they would have been a bit aggressive on day 2. I would have liked to trade up and grab one of Matos, Epenesa, Delpit, Winfield, etc, but I really can’t complain. They’ve done a stellar job this offseason. Love the Brieda move as well. The arrow is clearly pointing up for this organization for the first time in a long time. We deserve it, it’s been a rough few decades. 

Man In The Box said:
My one nitpick is that I was hoping they would have been a bit aggressive on day 2. I would have liked to trade up and grab one of Matos, Epenesa, Delpit, Winfield, etc, but I really can’t complain. They’ve done a stellar job this offseason. Love the Brieda move as well. The arrow is clearly pointing up for this organization for the first time in a long time. We deserve it, it’s been a rough few decades. 
I think you will see that Weaver can do what those other two names can do. he had a 2nd round grade but dropped and was a steal in the 4th or wherever Miami took him.

13.5 Sacks last year, 34 career, also had interceptions and he wears #99 which obviously he won't be wearing that number in Miami but if he is anything like the guy who wore that number before him...I like him plenty right now after the haul they got. 

Brandon Jones is a very smart player who started 46 games at Texas, he's a Special teams guy on top of starting in the secondary. He played 285 snaps at Safety last and another 151 "in the box" and also 371 snaps in the SLOT so this guy can play all over the field which Flo loves and works in his system. He's a fierce hitter, humble and ambitious, team first, all the boxes Flores is looking for. 

Looks like Rowe and McCain will start at Safety for the time being anyways. 

I think you will see that Weaver can do what those other two names can do. he had a 2nd round grade but dropped and was a steal in the 4th or wherever Miami took him.

13.5 Sacks last year, 34 career, also had interceptions and he wears #99 which obviously he won't be wearing that number in Miami but if he is anything like the guy who wore that number before him...I like him plenty right now after the haul they got. 

Brandon Jones is a very smart player who started 46 games at Texas, he's a Special teams guy on top of starting in the secondary. He played 285 snaps at Safety last and another 151 "in the box" and also 371 snaps in the SLOT so this guy can play all over the field which Flo loves and works in his system. He's a fierce hitter, humble and ambitious, team first, all the boxes Flores is looking for. 

Looks like Rowe and McCain will start at Safety for the time being anyways. 
No argument here, just a small nitpick. I’m beyond thrilled that the team has a clear plan and direction, and they appear committed to sticking to it. 

I like the Tua pick but big question is can he stay healthy? 
That’s the million dollar question yes. But the way I look at it, if the hip injury never happened, they probably weren’t getting him. Or at the very least they would have had to pay an exorbitant amount to trade up to get him. Have to trust the medical staff and cross our fingers.  

Like picking up Breida. Now we have a dynamic 3rd down pass catching back to compliment Howard. Love the commitment to building earth moving OL. Because we know you gotta have it to be successful. 

We have a load of picks for 2021 and the rebuild will continue. I like we have Fitz back for another year so Tua can season, get 100% healthy and be ready to take the reigns in 2021. I also hope Rosen can develop into a reliable back up QB for us as well. I have not given up on him yet. He has the arm talent. Let’s see if he can truly get a grasp of reading defenses. I think this will be a critical year for that to happen for him. If Fitz get’s hurt you throw Rosen in there.

I have zero post season expectations till 2023. If 2022 turns out to be an amazing turnaround with a 2nd year Tua....so be it. But I just want to watch the team truly develop instead of grasping at straws every year......it has been 23-24 years since we had true hope of being a real contender. Yeah that long. I never believed in Jay Fiedler and all the other QB's who followed. 

I believe now. Tua is a special talent. If he does stay healthy we may have a true franchise QB since Dan. Let us hope and have some fun finally seeing a real team develop. I also love Flores as our coach. I have not felt this way since Jimmy was here. It is a great time to be a Dolphins fan again. 

Fins up!!!!!!

P.S. @Slapdash I will purchase both home and away Tua jersey’s!!!! My prediction is he takes #3

Like picking up Breida. Now we have a dynamic 3rd down pass catching back to compliment Howard. Love the commitment to building earth moving OL. Because we know you gotta have it to be successful. 

We have a load of picks for 2021 and the rebuild will continue. I like we have Fitz back for another year so Tua can season, get 100% healthy and be ready to take the reigns in 2021. I also hope Rosen can develop into a reliable back up QB for us as well. I have not given up on him yet. He has the arm talent. Let’s see if he can truly get a grasp of reading defenses. I think this will be a critical year for that to happen for him. If Fitz get’s hurt you throw Rosen in there.

I have zero post season expectations till 2023. If 2022 turns out to be an amazing turnaround with a 2nd year Tua....so be it. But I just want to watch the team truly develop instead of grasping at straws every year......it has been 23-24 years since we had true hope of being a real contender. Yeah that long. I never believed in Jay Fiedler and all the other QB's who followed. 

I believe now. Tua is a special talent. If he does stay healthy we may have a true franchise QB since Dan. Let us hope and have some fun finally seeing a real team develop. I also love Flores as our coach. I have not felt this way since Jimmy was here. It is a great time to be a Dolphins fan again. 

Fins up!!!!!!

P.S. @Slapdash I will purchase both home and away Tua jersey’s!!!! My prediction is he takes #3
Pretty solid take. I think next year's draft is where we'll see them bring in the shiny skill position players. I know they brought in Howard and Breida, but it's pretty amazing that Fitzpatrick led the team in rushing and they didn't draft a running back :lol:  

I think this is all you can hope for in a draft plan ie. take guys who look the part on tape and hope you have the type of coaches that can teach them to their skill set.  Miami is in a nice spot for what essentially is a two year rebuild.  Take a guy like Rosen on the cheap and see if he pans out (not really), then cycle through some guys while instilling a culture (reminds me of what they did in Indy when Tony Dungy took over), then assess what you need to build.

so they build the trenches and the secondary and leave the receivers, backs, and lbs to what they have on the roster and free agency. Now you put the team together and coach them up, knowing full well if you hit on everyone then next year is about skill positions and if some of it doesn’t pan out then you can dip back into the draft with all those picks and erase the mistakes from this draft.

My only “nit picking” is missing a rb in round 2 (but I think the ravens surprised them there), and maybe (maybe) not taking a flier on Eason or Fromm when they slid. The Breida move was outstanding in response (love his game) and I guess if TUA and/or Rosen don’t pan out they go back to the well next draft. (I truly believe smart franchises should be picking a qb every 3 years because of injuries, volatility, and trade ability if your starter holds up).

I’m thrilled with this draft.

Is nobody giving Tua even a chance at playing in 2020? I am not an insider Dolphin fan at all, but I see your team already better than last year and that 2021 should be the expected jump season. 

Is nobody giving Tua even a chance at playing in 2020? I am not an insider Dolphin fan at all, but I see your team already better than last year and that 2021 should be the expected jump season. 
There is no reason to rush him out of the gate at all. Make sure that OL is cohesive and becomes a finely tuned machine before having Tua go under center. You do not want a green rookie running for his life coming off a serious hip injury day one. 

They know exactly what they need to do. I see 2022 as a year we make a strong push for a serious post season run if all the picks and moves pan out. 

My initial thought is that the chance of seeing Tua in live game action in the first half of the season is close to zero. Depending on how the season is going, how Fitz and/or Rosen are playing, and how the medical staff feels about Tua's progress, I do believe there is a chance we see him get some real game reps towards the end of the season. I don't think 2020 will be a full blown red shirt season for Tua. :2cents:

Users who are viewing this thread