What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Draft Time (7 Viewers)

so if I got this right, cancelling out guys and picks that pass through (for now assuming Philly gets the 49ers 1st rounder and that cancels out)

Miami turned:

2016 #13 (Tunsil)

2015 #78

2020 #141

2021 #123

2021 #202

and FA signing Dannell Ellerbe

into....

Julien Davenport

Noah Igbinoghene (2020 #30)

2021 #6

2021 #36

2021 #102

2021 #156

2023 SF 1st rounder 

Is that good? ;)

-QG

I think Grier should have just stayed at 12, Miami still would have gotten either Sewell or one of Smith or Waddle.
Not Sewell. He's "generational".

Probably one of Waddle or Smith. Maybe they like Pitts a lot, and will get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd.

Not Sewell. He's "generational".

Probably one of Waddle or Smith. Maybe they like Pitts a lot, and will get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd.
You know I meant say Slater not Sewell.  They could go Pitts and then take Bateman at 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tankathon has us selecting Pitts at 1.06 and edge rusher Kwity Paye at 1.18. In the second, Terrance Marshall and then Travis Etienne. 

The draft has more permutations than a chess game, but that would be a nice first 2 rounds. 

QBs go 1-4 Sewell or Chase goes to Cincinnati and who ever they were looking at for 3 will most likely be available at 6. 

That is a baseball or basketball type deal but I love it. Move back 3 spots and add a first in 2023 and a third. Guessing they are likely happy with either Chase or Pitts and will get one if not have their choice. You give Tua another weapon, 2022 QB class is bad so now Tua gets two full years and if you need to get a QB in 2023 you have an extra first as ammo.

Heard about all this when I was away today. I'm speechless and this is very Chris Grier, always about the next Draft or the next 3 years, I'm glad Miami managed to get 2 1st Rd picks, I felt all along they were gonna get way more than just a 2nd to slide a few spots. 

-San Fran 1st Rd picks are going to be in the late 20s if they figure out the QB spot. Think Miami used their own 2022 1st Rd to move back up to 6 which still puts them in a spot to grab an impact player on offense should they choose that route, I am only on board for Pitts at this time personally. WR is deep and its foolish to burn a Top 10 on a WR when we already have 2 pretty solid options at the moment. Tua needs to come up to Parker's level this season, plain and simple. 

I kept saying someone other than Miami had to nail that 3 pick...looks like San Fran can try and make moves if they like. They did burn up a lot moving from 12 to 6, think Mimi got about all they could for the pick. And they have no plans on a QB at the moment. Don't put it past them to slide back again and grab another selection. 

"A" good job I would guess at first glance.  Most National Media seem to think this was pretty darn impressive. 

@SoBeDad  @greedygoat  @ChuckLiddell  @Desert_Power  @jtd13  @TripleThreat  @=Smackdown= @Todem 

-I need to see them do something amazing in the Draft this year and if they draft a WR at No 3, I will eat my vintage Phins trucker cap. The 1st thing I would do is trade WITH Carolina so they can use the 3-pick to get Watson, we will not be afforded an option to trade for him...Houston will never trade back for picks they sent away and lose Watson, not happening. But if Carolina owns the 3-pick, different story and that Carolina Owner is a piece of work so why not capitalize on his nonstop relentless effort to get a franchise QB, I'm mocking here because of the news and media stories about him. I would like to see the Phins trade down with anyone who has a 2nd rd pick between 33-45 or thereabouts. Trade down and get another Top-50 Draft selection, I would like to see them do this a couple times and turn 4 into 6. I'm not as impressed at the top of the Draft and think they can easily find a solid person to draft in almost every spot where a flashy name is being billed like WR at No 3, that's the stuff teams do that never make the Playoffs and I think Coach Flo ain't dumb so i think the Phins trade down. Others have posted similar things but I am trying to work out the logistics. Carolina has the No 39 Selection and we can swap 3 for 8, maybe even get a little more in return. 
:whistle:    

San Fran eneded up replacing Carolina but the idea and results actually are even better  :thumbup:

Chris Grier-GM, Drafts since he says he officially took over in 2016, he never waivers in private conversation that he feels responsible for almost all the selections since then and even Tannenbaum does not dispute this much. 

2016- A-/B+, pretty darn good. 

1st-LT-Tunsil...this guy fell down the board after the gas mask thing surfaced, Miami jumped on him and also flipped him for a boatload of picks. Even the moves in the last 24 hours are a direct reflection of the eventual trade he used this player in. 

2nd-Xavien Howard...i often wondered if this was going to be an amazing 2nd rd pick and surely he has paid dividends, could also see Miami trading Howard at some point if he doesn't stop asking for pay raises. 

3rd-Kenyan Drake...Gase really wanted this guy and he has shown a high skill set but he isn't a true RB1 and will likely never be but he does make a terrific piece in a backfield, still a solid pick in the 3rd Rd, eventually the results are about a 5th round pick. 

This was a pretty awesome draft and while Carroo was a complete waste, they did find Jakeem Grant in like the 5th or 6th that Draft as well. 

2017 "F"

1st Charles Harris-BUST!!!

2nd Raekwon McmIllan-Injured and then BUST!!!

3rd Tankersly...Meh

Davon Godchaux in the 5th, an average DT was about the best they could muster in 2017, terrible terrible terrible. 

1st-Minka Fitzpatrick, traded away an All Pro but we drafted him and knew he was mega talented. 

2nd-Mike Gesicki...One of the better TEs now in the NFL Starter all the way

3rd-Jerome Baker....starting ILB and looked better last year than the previous 2. 

Decent draft...B/B-

1st-Christian Wilkins...so far honestly he is a bust. 3 sacks and I've mentioned many others around him have doen a lot better. 

2nd...none

3rd...Dieter...backup/reserve OL

Van Ginkel-5th appeared in this Draft but the rest is pretty below average 

Grade: D but if Wilkins improves this can rise. 

Last years selections we have talked a lot about, I'm not that impressed with their 3 first round picks. 

How optimistic are you about all these selections when the track record is pretty spotty? Of course he wants credit for 2016, it was by far their best Draft in the last 5 years IMHO. 

Dolphins doing things that us as fantasy players should respect.  Move back so you are not reaching fr the top of a tier, but still have the ability to get the guy you want.  Also using the "patriot" model of amassing draft capitol because projecting college kids is a crapshoot so numbers matter.

I've been mocking an insane amount (and I hope someone in the miami front office is using the PFN mock tool just to get all the possibles) and the move to 6, 7, or 8 was always the optimum bc 12 was when the corners start to go and Miami doesn't need a corner.  

Dolphins get who they want whether its Pitts, Chase, Smith or Sewell. They also get that extra second #1 pick should Deshaun Watsons legal issues resolve (at this point I'd throw the 2023 pick at Houston for Watson if they are going for the fire sale of his "damaged" reputation but I know that's a pipe dream).

Finally, what else will Miami do in this draft?  They have 5 picks in the top 80ish but with their senior bowl work I'm sure they'd like a few more. Do they trade down some more to get picks in this draft or now have guys locked in for their spots?

I still see the teams at 7-9 maybe having to move up as well so Atlanta and Miami are still in the Driver seat. You have to assume that CIncy is looking Sewell.  If they go WR/TE they will need to hope someone like Leatherwood falls to them in the second.

I just posted in the other thread that I heard an ESPN pundit on the radio say the word is Miami will take Smith or Waddle at 1.06, due to Tua's history with them. This would be better than the Pitts option for this season, as I'm not sure Fuller will stay healthy for the entire season.

I just posted in the other thread that I heard an ESPN pundit on the radio say the word is Miami will take Smith or Waddle at 1.06, due to Tua's history with them. This would be better than the Pitts option for this season, as I'm not sure Fuller will stay healthy for the entire season.
Anything coming out of Dolphins camp right now is likely BS.  The phins are likely one of the tightest lipped teams when it comes to draft info.  I could certainly see them taking smith or waddle, but they could have stayed at 12 for that to be honest.  If waddle was going to be the pick he likely would have been there and if smith is going to be the pick, he may be there as well. (especially with the giants paying up for golladay).  

At this point None of the top 4 pass catchers would surprise me.  Them taking Sewell or Parsons would.

Anything coming out of Dolphins camp right now is likely BS.  The phins are likely one of the tightest lipped teams when it comes to draft info.  I could certainly see them taking smith or waddle, but they could have stayed at 12 for that to be honest.  If waddle was going to be the pick he likely would have been there and if smith is going to be the pick, he may be there as well. (especially with the giants paying up for golladay).  

At this point None of the top 4 pass catchers would surprise me.  Them taking Sewell or Parsons would.
Your analysis of one of Smith or Waddle being there at 12 because the Giants paying for Golladay is correct. Which makes me think they want one of either Chase or Pitts at 1.06. There is also an outside chance that the Giants could trade down to a team that wants Smith or Waddle, including teams just below 12, such as the Chargers, NE, or Cardinals. 

I would've rather kept our 2022 1st, and reached for either Elijah or Rondale Moore at 2.04. Elijah Moore's highlights are equal to Waddle's.

Your analysis of one of Smith or Waddle being there at 12 because the Giants paying for Golladay is correct. Which makes me think they want one of either Chase or Pitts at 1.06. There is also an outside chance that the Giants could trade down to a team that wants Smith or Waddle, including teams just below 12, such as the Chargers, NE, or Cardinals. 

I would've rather kept our 2022 1st, and reached for either Elijah or Rondale Moore at 2.04. Elijah Moore's highlights are equal to Waddle's.
I think the pivot will be what the phins decide to do at 18.  

Assuming Pitts at 6, then the phins still have a RB, WR, edge rusher, and DT need to fill in this draft.  Now, Assuming the phins consider edge and LB to be the same position (much as they did defensively last year) that gives us some clarity as to the options.

So: dolphins go Pitts at 6:

18: Bateman, Parsons (assuming he drops), Rousseau, the LB out of Notre Dame, or Najee/Etienne (depending on preference).  I oscillate between Najee and any of the edge/LBs depending on who drops.

2.04: Marshall Jr, moore (either one), Creed Humphrey (the only o line position that still could use some addressing), Javonte Williams (maybe there at 50, but do you want JK Dobbins 2.0 to happen), Oweh? maybe one of the safeties that should be there? I find that 2.04 kind of gets determined by 18, bc if the phins go Pitts/Najee they are almost screaming to take a Defensive player here. If they take a defensive player at 18, the media will still be like "not enough playmakers" so the pressure will be for more weapons.

Pick 50: Likely a WR if none have been addressed. Javonte or Michael Carter (if they decided to kick the RB solution down the road), maybe a DT or a Corner (not sure why the phins would want a corner, but there are whispers)

Between pick 50 and 81: perhaps phins use some of their future draft capital to jump up and get someone they like?

Pick 81:  Assuming they don't move around, the small school center who played for them at the senior bowl?  Some good WRs should still be there (Ty Wallace).  Brevin Jordan if he falls (although if they don't go Pitts at 6, my assumption is they assumed that Shaheen and company are good enough)

Past pick 81:  Dolphins coached the senior bowl, so hopefully they get a little more draft capital to go after guys they liked.  

If they go WR at 6 (chase, waddle, smith) I think they ignore the TE position altogether...

Dolphins doing things that us as fantasy players should respect.  Move back so you are not reaching fr the top of a tier, but still have the ability to get the guy you want.  Also using the "patriot" model of amassing draft capitol because projecting college kids is a crapshoot so numbers matter.

I've been mocking an insane amount (and I hope someone in the miami front office is using the PFN mock tool just to get all the possibles) and the move to 6, 7, or 8 was always the optimum bc 12 was when the corners start to go and Miami doesn't need a corner.  

Dolphins get who they want whether its Pitts, Chase, Smith or Sewell. They also get that extra second #1 pick should Deshaun Watsons legal issues resolve (at this point I'd throw the 2023 pick at Houston for Watson if they are going for the fire sale of his "damaged" reputation but I know that's a pipe dream).

Finally, what else will Miami do in this draft?  They have 5 picks in the top 80ish but with their senior bowl work I'm sure they'd like a few more. Do they trade down some more to get picks in this draft or now have guys locked in for their spots?

I still see the teams at 7-9 maybe having to move up as well so Atlanta and Miami are still in the Driver seat. You have to assume that CIncy is looking Sewell.  If they go WR/TE they will need to hope someone like Leatherwood falls to them in the second.
Outstanding post, I apologize for jumping on your last one about Phinsfans being spoiled. I think you're nailing this one. 

-You were always a trading down advocate or at least were pushing in that direction, you definitely got me thinking about that and I have also been running PFN when Miami was #3, you can't really do that now as they update it which is actually a good thing. Players are starting to shuffle, Elijah Moore has risen about 10-15 in the rankings as well just as a note. 

-I agree with you 100% about trading down or back and amassing as many Top 50-100 picks as we can get. You will get no pushback at all from me and I also have run those mock drafts like you have and come away feeling this Draft is DEEP t several positions and spots int he Draft...seems to be a lot of value on Defense after the first 10-15 hot names on offense are gone. The 20-40 range let's say. They can't get 'em all, right?

I keep trading down and back and fill the coffers with rookies on rookie deals. Miami has themselves set up to completely flush this current team if need be. 13 picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd next 3 Drafts? That could easily rise to even more picks. Just keep stockpiling, I don't care if Miami takes a step back wins and losses this season. They likely traded a Top 20 pick to move up to 6, just saying. 

Cheers Gator and thanks for coming in and sharing your thoughts, good stuff. 

MOP- Agreed.  It's always hard when you are a "need" team vs a BPA team.  Right now Miami is a "need" team (the Giants, in contrast have used FA to become a BPA team.  Baltimore always seems to be a BPA team).  I think, once they clear this draft, they will be positioned in the future to be a BPA team, both on how they have constructed their draft capital and how they have structured their FA contracts for the next year. 

Watson is the wild card here.  He clears this legal hurdle then Miami is perfectly positioned now to go and get him. That changes the Calculus.

Then why did we sign them? I hate Miami going WR so high in the Draft when the 2nd round is loaded with them.

Who else do we need to Draft from Alabama to make Tua feel at home in Miami? You see where this is going? MoP not a Tua fan and it's getting worse by the minute. 

👍

I'd much rather go WR at 6 than Pitts. I know Pitts is really good, but TE just isn't a premium position and we already have a very talented one in Gesicki. :shrug:

Ministry of Pain said:
Who else do we need to Draft from Alabama to make Tua feel at home in Miami? You see where this is going? MoP not a Tua fan and it's getting worse by the minute. 
If we didn't need edge help, I'd be supportive of Harris at 18 (or if that gets traded too) and Landon Dickerson at C in late round 2

If we didn't need edge help, I'd be supportive of Harris at 18 (or if that gets traded too) and Landon Dickerson at C in late round 2
Kwitty Paye at DE would be a good long term investment IMHO. 

But Miami didn't trade a 1st to move up 6 spots and then trade back down, don't see them doing that so they are taking someone at 6 it would appear. 

if they drafted Pitts, what could they trade Mike Gesicki for in theory? Do you take Pitts and then trade Gesicki for a ??? 

Anyone got any ideas on this? Pitts is spectacular and Miami an still get a quality WR in the 2nd if they desire. I also like the 2 TE Set and the possibilities for extra blockers on the OL. 

I will admit it if turns out wrong, but I don’t think Miami has a RB need, certainly not with a 1st or 2nd round pick. Gaskin is the most underrated RB in the league right now. 

I will admit it if turns out wrong, but I don’t think Miami has a RB need, certainly not with a 1st or 2nd round pick. Gaskin is the most underrated RB in the league right now. 
Miami has had terrible luck drafting RBs over the years.

Ronnie Brown and Sammie Smith were taken super high in the Draft, mostly busts for Miami. 

I'd much rather go WR at 6 than Pitts. I know Pitts is really good, but TE just isn't a premium position and we already have a very talented one in Gesicki. :shrug:
Lots of thoughts here, and perhaps it talks me into smith being the pick over pitts, but I like Pitts.  You have to say the phins have gesecki, shaheed, smythe and the fullback they just picked up that all kind of overlap pitts, while none of their wrs overlap smith.  I’d argue chase kind of looks like Williams and Parker and waddle is in his own category but Miami staying at 6 kind of throws cold water on waddle as the pick. 

on the other hand there isn’t a player like pitts on the board later while you can argue that there are similar wrs available later in this draft.  Freiwith (sp) is a more complete in line TE (blocking) but not the matchup nightmare pitts is and brevin Jordan has all the measurable but is not the game plan nightmare pitts is. 

so it comes down to 2 things: what kind of offense does Miami want to run for tua?  A 12 personnel set with geseki and pitts making the defense deal with them or 13 or more base setups with fuller, Parker, smith and geseki?thats 2021. Now 2022 you will need to decide  on resigning geseki, fuller, Parker, etc so the offense may change again for 2022. 

I think the final decision is likely who opens the field up more for Tua and how the phins see using their top 5 picks. Before signing fuller I figured they needed 2 wrs and TE wasn’t a thought. Now I think they still need one WR and if they think they aren’t going to extend gesecki possibly a TE. 

the more I talk this out the more I think it will be smith. 

Pitts might be the best TE prospect since OJ Howard but I do not like the idea of the Dolphins trading up to select him when they already have a good receiving TE on the roster.

Now if the Dolphins stayed at pick 12 and Pitts fell to them thats another matter. You can justify the pick as BPA at that point. I just dont think you trade up that high to select a TE. Ask the Lions fans how they feel about doing that.

I love that the Dolphins traded down. I do not love that they traded back up. They must have a plan, I am just not seeing it.

A 6th overall pick should be a QB or premier defensive lineman in my opinion. I dont like the risk of WR bust that high.

Pitts might be the best TE prospect since OJ Howard but I do not like the idea of the Dolphins trading up to select him when they already have a good receiving TE on the roster.

Now if the Dolphins stayed at pick 12 and Pitts fell to them thats another matter. You can justify the pick as BPA at that point. I just dont think you trade up that high to select a TE. Ask the Lions fans how they feel about doing that.

I love that the Dolphins traded down. I do not love that they traded back up. They must have a plan, I am just not seeing it.

A 6th overall pick should be a QB or premier defensive lineman in my opinion. I dont like the risk of WR bust that high.
I think Tua would excel with a 2-TE formation and to further the point he was making other TEs on the roster look better, even reserves like Smythe at times. Gesicki had his best season? Coincidence?

Tua is not tall IMO, he likes tall targets which falls to TEs a lot of the time. Pitts would send the offense up a couple notches. They signed WIll Fuller, still have Parker and other WRs like Bowden who might be a WR3 in this offense. I don't see Miami doing well in 3-WR sets with Tua, so far anyways. 

Agree moving from 12 to 6 and burning the Miami '22 1st...don't think they sent one of the ones from SF which I woulda preferred. 

1.06 may or may not be offense but Miami also could go Defense in the 1st and come back in the 2nd at 36 and grab a WR.

Micah at No 6 might be a little high but I do like him and think they need an impact front 7 guy. 

Kwitty Paye might be there at 18, if not him there are a lot of sack/edge/OLB guys they can grab up and down the 1st-2nd and even 3rd. 

Why did Miami need to jump in front of Detroit and Carolina?

Hmmmmm
I don't think they needed to jump ahead of them, per se, but they did need to jump ahead of Det, Carolina, Philly, Denver, and the giants.

1-3 are Qbs.  4 is likely a QB or a lineman (or maybe pitts to Atlanta?). 5 Should be a lineman (or Chase). When you look at the needs of the next 5 teams they are all over the place, but you cannot discount offensive playmakers for any of them.

Now, Let's assume the scuttlebutt is real, that Mac Jones is in play for the niners (I doubt this, unless they jumped to 3 so New England couldn't jump ahead of them), but lets use this thought exercise:

Trev, Wilson, Jones top 3.  Atlanta has to go QB here, right?  If not Sewell is the their pick (I doubt pitts bc they signed a TE last year). That leaves Cinci with Slater, Chase, or Pitts.  Assuming the mantra is "protect Joe Burrow" then Slater comes off the board at 5.  Miami still has all their play makers in front of them, and if they like 2 of them (as opposed to being in love with only one), then they can Talk to Carolina or Denver if they are QB hunting. If the phins are looking Parsons, then they could definitely move to 8 or 9 and still get him.

I don't think they needed to jump ahead of them, per se, but they did need to jump ahead of Det, Carolina, Philly, Denver, and the giants.

1-3 are Qbs.  4 is likely a QB or a lineman (or maybe pitts to Atlanta?). 5 Should be a lineman (or Chase). When you look at the needs of the next 5 teams they are all over the place, but you cannot discount offensive playmakers for any of them.

Now, Let's assume the scuttlebutt is real, that Mac Jones is in play for the niners (I doubt this, unless they jumped to 3 so New England couldn't jump ahead of them), but lets use this thought exercise:

Trev, Wilson, Jones top 3.  Atlanta has to go QB here, right?  If not Sewell is the their pick (I doubt pitts bc they signed a TE last year). That leaves Cinci with Slater, Chase, or Pitts.  Assuming the mantra is "protect Joe Burrow" then Slater comes off the board at 5.  Miami still has all their play makers in front of them, and if they like 2 of them (as opposed to being in love with only one), then they can Talk to Carolina or Denver if they are QB hunting. If the phins are looking Parsons, then they could definitely move to 8 or 9 and still get him.
Just fyi...Slater is a scary proposition and folks aren't sure if he will play Tackle or possibly get kicked inside to Guard so I wouldn't touch him but you're right he has ben projected as one of the top OT in the Draft for whatever reason. 

I think you are on to something with 6-pick and slide down. I would like to get Carolina's pick in the 2nd...No 39 and slide back 2 more. 8-18-36-39-50...gotta squeeze some more juice out of this pretty talented and deep draft. 

With all those 1st Rd picks, Miami also has the ability to trade up with another pick...so say they take Kwitty Paye at 18 if he is even on the board at that point, and let's say they took Pitts for arguments sake at 8. They could move from 36 up into the 20s easily if they want to or find value but I would prefer they just keep building capital. They have the ammo to get Watson now but as @Anarchy99 pointed out in a very excellent thread he fired up on Friday, the Dolphins would have to clear the cap space prior to landing Watson, that's impossible IMO at the moment. 

Just fyi...Slater is a scary proposition and folks aren't sure if he will play Tackle or possibly get kicked inside to Guard so I wouldn't touch him but you're right he has ben projected as one of the top OT in the Draft for whatever reason. 

I think you are on to something with 6-pick and slide down. I would like to get Carolina's pick in the 2nd...No 39 and slide back 2 more. 8-18-36-39-50...gotta squeeze some more juice out of this pretty talented and deep draft. 

With all those 1st Rd picks, Miami also has the ability to trade up with another pick...so say they take Kwitty Paye at 18 if he is even on the board at that point, and let's say they took Pitts for arguments sake at 8. They could move from 36 up into the 20s easily if they want to or find value but I would prefer they just keep building capital. They have the ammo to get Watson now but as @Anarchy99 pointed out in a very excellent thread he fired up on Friday, the Dolphins would have to clear the cap space prior to landing Watson, that's impossible IMO at the moment. 
Slater:  I see him as a player who likely plays Guard this year and then tackle as he develops more, a perfect fit for Cinci since they got some tackles in FA.

The trade up really has to do whith who they like from the senior bowl:  If it is Najee, they either use 18 or trade back into round 1. Same with Etienne.  Now if they like Williams, Carter or even Stephenson they can move down rather than up.  

Watson is going to be stuck until this issue gets worked out.  I see the 2023 SF pick as the "Get watson" pick if it all works out and they want him (SF 2022 and 2023 for watson)...

Slater:  I see him as a player who likely plays Guard this year and then tackle as he develops more, a perfect fit for Cinci since they got some tackles in FA.

The trade up really has to do whith who they like from the senior bowl:  If it is Najee, they either use 18 or trade back into round 1. Same with Etienne.  Now if they like Williams, Carter or even Stephenson they can move down rather than up.  

Watson is going to be stuck until this issue gets worked out.  I see the 2023 SF pick as the "Get watson" pick if it all works out and they want him (SF 2022 and 2023 for watson)...
There is no way the Texans settle for that even with his legal issues. They are better off to wait until before the draft next year to trade him. Assuming his legal issues are resolved and he has served whatever suspension the league might throw at him, He will still command much more that just 2 1st round picks.

There is no way the Texans settle for that even with his legal issues. They are better off to wait until before the draft next year to trade him. Assuming his legal issues are resolved and he has served whatever suspension the league might throw at him, He will still command much more that just 2 1st round picks.
Not disagreeing and perhaps my statement was vague.  Miami having 3 first rounders over the next two years is the key here.  Only other teams that could do that are the Jets (likely to take a QB) and the Eagles (they may have 3 picks in 2022 round one).

Not disagreeing and perhaps my statement was vague.  Miami having 3 first rounders over the next two years is the key here.  Only other teams that could do that are the Jets (likely to take a QB) and the Eagles (they may have 3 picks in 2022 round one).
Exactly, the field of suitors that can actually put a package together includes Miami and the Jets and perhaps another team or two. 

If the Dolphins do trade down from 6 then I like the trade a whole lot better.

Sewell is likely worth picking 6 overall if he is there. I think the players Miami may want can be had a bit later than that pick. At least one of them anyways.

Sewell is likely worth picking 6 overall if he is there. I think the players Miami may want can be had a bit later than that pick. At least one of them anyways.
I'm looking at this kind of like fantasy football. The fins didn't need a QB (in their estimation, not MOPs), so they traded down to the next "tier" Now the question is "how big is this tier for Miami?"  If it is a tier of one (pitts lets say), 2, (Pitts, Sewell or Chase/Sewell etc) then they are in the right spot.  If it is a tier of 4 or more then they can trade down again.  Based on them not staying at 12, you have to assume the tier is likely more than 2 and less than 6 players. If Atlanta and Cinci don't go into their tiers, then trade down again is an option.  If they do, but the tier is deep enough, then Carolina may be willing to move.

The only thing we can say with any real certainty is the guy they like will not be there at 12, so they moved back up.

1-QB

2-QB

3-Mac Jones new rumor mill....let's let it breathe a bit. 

4-Atlanta could go a couple ways, really don't see them going QB with so much invested in Matt Ryan at the moment. I could see them taking Kyle Trask much later in the draft after the dust settles if they want a long term approach. Let's say they go SMith at WR just for S&Gs because they seem to like to select WRs with big upside. Julio was taken at No 4, yes/no? 

5-Cinci takes Sewell. They have a pretty good WR developing there already. 

6-We are on the clock and both Fields and Lance are on the board, now what? Slide back some more and at what sacrifice? 

Miami's Front 7 needs a lot of work, would rather Miami keep making a tough as nails Defense, we got absolutely obliterated by a nothing to really play for Week 17 Buffalo Bills team that had me shaking like the K-Gun back in the day. 

MOP- I think the concept of Flores being a defensive guy means (to me): spend your money on offense and scheme your D.  They managed to have a pretty decent D (except vs the bills) pretty much the whole season.  They NEED offensive play makers.

Chase, Pitts, Waddle, and Smith all fit that bill.  Harris, Etienne, Williams all fit that bill.  Sure, take an edge or a LB or even a safety if you think it will help against the bills, but this offense needs to move the ball and score points.

We're guaranteed to get one of Pitts, Chase or Smith at #6. And we get the SF #3 pick in 2022, and #1 in 2023. And a swap of 2022 first round picks with SF. I would've been happy with any of those at #3.
Actually in 2022 we get SF 1st and 3rd Rd picks, Miami traded their own '22 1st to Philly in order to move back up to #6 which is a bad move for them going WR or offense in general when they have Two 1st Round picks and can get 2 of the Top 5 let's say Defensive prospects regardless of position and some of those I have mentioned like Paye, Oweh, Parsons, Moehrig, and there is a laundry list of guys they can get and still come back in the 2nd with 36 pick and take Elijah Moore as an example or if need be trade up to like 25 or 28 if you need to move up a few spots to get the WR you want after Waddle/Chase/Smith have left the building. At 50 they can go RB possibly or take an OL like Dickerson for lack of a better name at Center and give them some beef inside. They pick again at 81. 

The Miami Dolphins are not 1 impact rookie WR from turning the corner, they need a lot of help and even some answers in 2020 like KVN and Shaq are GONE!!! Still have not replaced Minkah, not much at LB, not much on the interior DL at the moment, they need a lot of work. 

Users who are viewing this thread