What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (3 Viewers)

Actually in 2022 we get SF 1st and 3rd Rd picks, Miami traded their own '22 1st to Philly in order to move back up to #6 which is a bad move for them going WR or offense in general when they have Two 1st Round picks and can get 2 of the Top 5 let's say Defensive prospects regardless of position and some of those I have mentioned like Paye, Oweh, Parsons, Moehrig, and there is a laundry list of guys they can get and still come back in the 2nd with 36 pick and take Elijah Moore as an example or if need be trade up to like 25 or 28 if you need to move up a few spots to get the WR you want after Waddle/Chase/Smith have left the building. At 50 they can go RB possibly or take an OL like Dickerson for lack of a better name at Center and give them some beef inside. They pick again at 81. 

The Miami Dolphins are not 1 impact rookie WR from turning the corner, they need a lot of help and even some answers in 2020 like KVN and Shaq are GONE!!! Still have not replaced Minkah, not much at LB, not much on the interior DL at the moment, they need a lot of work. 
Well... We finished with 10 wins, and are set to add pieces.  Nothing in the NFL is ever certain, but the Jets will be rebuilding, the pats will be rebuilding, and Buf. is the top of the heap.  

What do we "really" need?  Well, a game changer at the receiver position (whether that is Pitts or smith or chase remains to be seen) some help on the front 7 (likely 2 players; one on the edge and one at LB although a hard hitting safety could work there as well), a RB, and finally a center.  

Everything else: OT, DT, Safety, and CB are wants not needs, and can be addressed next year.  Even if QB turns out to be a need (Tua doesn't pan out), that is likely a 2 year job bc the 2022 class isn't that great.

Doppelgangers.

-----------------------

NFL Update@MySportsUpdate

The #Jets and #Dolphins essentially did the same thing:

• *Fired Gase
  • *Hired defensive minded coach who is loved by players
  • *Trade QB (Darnold/Tannehill) for draft capital
  • *Trade safety (Minkah/Adams) for 1st(s)
  • *Draft QB with top-5 pick.
  • *Have double 1s & double 2s the next year.

Assuming Pitts is there at 6, which is not a safe assumption but certainly possible...I have been thinking about a scenario where we take him, then trade Gesicki to a team like Dallas who clearly seems to be looking to upgrade at the position.  What I dont know is what Gesicki's trade value is.  I see him as a top 10 NFL receiving TE.  Not worthy of a 1, but probably worthy of a 2.  If we got Pitts, and a team - I keep going back to Dallas - would be willing to part with a 2, is that a go for Miami?  Or would we be better served running lots of 2 TE packages and trying to create mismatches? 

Assuming Pitts is there at 6, which is not a safe assumption but certainly possible...I have been thinking about a scenario where we take him, then trade Gesicki to a team like Dallas who clearly seems to be looking to upgrade at the position.  What I dont know is what Gesicki's trade value is.  I see him as a top 10 NFL receiving TE.  Not worthy of a 1, but probably worthy of a 2.  If we got Pitts, and a team - I keep going back to Dallas - would be willing to part with a 2, is that a go for Miami?  Or would we be better served running lots of 2 TE packages and trying to create mismatches? 
I doubt if a Gesicki trade would yield a 2021  2nd round pick from Dallas. It would be a high 2nd, #2.10. But Atlanta did send a 2nd to the Ravens for Hurst, and Gesicki has a higher ceiling. 

I have come around to the realization that Miami wants someone they feel strongly they can have at #6 and will play it by ear night of the Draft if something crazy starts to unfold like say Sewell goes at 4, Chase at 5 and their phone starts ringing as somebody wants Lance or Mac Jones or whoever did not get selected Top-3. I don't think Miami is married to any one player or even one side of the ball just yet. Micah Parsons is not out of the question and I am not sure exactly where he is projected to not make it past. 

Chicago could put quite a package together for Miami to move up if there is still a QB at 6 they might want. 20 is a big drop however they could likely net 20-52, 2022 1st and some more possibly and that would give us another 2nd round pick this year in the area of the Draft we really need to load up in. 

I am going to keep banging the Trevon Moehrig drum until the fans around here catch on and beg for this guy. We are spending an absurd amount on a couple Safeties that are marginal. Look at Tampa Bay who spends the least on DBs in the NFL and they have some of the best and brightest right now on Rookie deals. We have the best Cornerback in the NFL and he knows it, get a dynamic impact Safety to bang around with him int he Secondary, a true freelancer back there who can make plays along with what we already have. We have the #18 pick and I like Moerhig a lot and I also am a big fan of Kwitty Paye and think we need some serious Front-7 help since we sent 2 of our best packing. 

I like Pitts and will get to him in a minute. #36 pick is an interesting one and I think we can find that rookie WR at 36 in the top of Round 2 and develop them for a season. Parker is spectacular, his game didn't fall off last year, I don't want him to leave. Fuller is 1 year and he will start but we know he can't make a full season. 8 games I'm saying for one reason or another. Bowden was looking OK but he was Rookie and I think an off season and more tutoring from this coaching staff and he should be much better this year. A guy like Elijah Moore who has some OJ McDuffie in him and also some Mark Clayton I might add and I like that kid a lot and wouldn't feel like we got slighted at WR one bit in this draft. There are others I don't like as much but Moore is a complete WR ready to roll MHO and he has good hands. 

So let's say you take Kyle Pitts at #6, if you are not going to keep Gesicki, all you did is upgrade a position somewhat and hopefully since you burned #6 it's by a LOT. Gesicki ranked pretty high on PFF and his production since this staff took over is clear as day. Last year he started flashing the skills to make tough catches we hadn't seen previously and his yds per catch rose by quite a bit. 11 TDs the last 2 seasons, you hate to lose this guy. He has to be worth at least a 2nd Round pick, he has Top 5 makings in the NFL and he also can run block when called upon and that makes him a more well rounded TE for any team or offense in the NFL. I would like to see Miami run a 2-TE formation if they take Pitts although I don't know if that will help the OL or not, I go back and forth but in theory it would give Miami 7 across in front of Tua, still have Parker and Fuller split wide and that means Defenses would be on their heels trying to figure out where Miami is going and also makes Miami lethal across the middle and that forces more 1 on 1 with the WRs on the outside and that opens up Tua to throw down field and also allows for more time if he has 1 TE stay in to block at times setting up longer pass plays and you can see what I'm thinking here. So I would vote to keep Gesicki even though he is entering Year 4 of his Rookie deal and set to be a Free Agent next year, don't want to franchise tag him I would assume. 

6-Pitts

18-Moerhig...and no I don't trade down because too many are wise to him at this point. He is one of 3-4 players on Defense I think are can't miss. Kwitty Paye works fine here as well but Moerhig is a surefire hit, whoever gets him. 

36-Elijah Moore and this would make for an outstanding rookie tandem at the skill positions to help Tua

50-Landon Dickerson, Center from Alabama who can't finish a season it seems but he sure does block like an All Pro when he is out there. He could solve a lot of problems. I also like Dillon Radunz, the Tackle from NDSU who helped set up soem nice clean pockets for this Trey Lance kid at QB who is going 1st Round. 

Couple other names I will throw out there I could be happy with. LBs, either Jabril Cox or Nick Bolton from Missouri, these are ILB types, Baker will be entering Year 4 and I am a little up n down if we are keeping him and the guy they got back for Lawson, think his name is McKinnie, not too sure about him but we will see. There's room for a guy to walk in and establish himself as the Alpha at MLB. 

If we haven't gotten anyone at Edge, it's possible Basham from GA Tech falls into the 2nd Round and I like him enough, also think Peyton Turner from Houston is an interesting prospect. 

81-Defensive Tackle, maybe Osa from UCLA or Marvin Wilson from Florida State. Also would like to see Kenneth Gainwell at RB if they want to go in that direction, maybe after they get Dickerson if they draft him.  

I'm using Pitts at 6 and this is what I come up with

Will Pitts be there at 1.06? Atlanta has interest, given that Julio is 32, but Sewell is also a possibility for the Falcons given that their running game was bad, 3.7 ypc, #27 in total rushing yards. And Ryan has been sacked 40+ times each of the past 3 years. Cinninati is likely to select Sewell or Chase, so it depends on Atlanta IMO.

SoBeDad said:
Will Pitts be there at 1.06? Atlanta has interest, given that Julio is 32, but Sewell is also a possibility for the Falcons given that their running game was bad, 3.7 ypc, #27 in total rushing yards. And Ryan has been sacked 40+ times each of the past 3 years. Cinninati is likely to select Sewell or Chase, so it depends on Atlanta IMO.
I think Atlanta will trade out to someone infatuated with Trey Lance.  Washington, Denver, or New England.  Cinci could take Sewell, Chase, or Pitts.  In my opinion, as long as we get Pitts or Chase we should be psyched.  Sewell isnt as sexy but would still be a great pick.  If Lance is still there at 6 (likely if Atlanta takes Pitts) and we get a great offer for the pick - especially if its Denver and we are only moving down a couple spots I think we do that and grab an extra 2nd or maybe even more if theres a bidding war.  

If its Denver, we are really only moving down 2 spots because we know they will use 6 on Lance - then 7 and 8 will take players and we would be at 9 - so we still get Waddle or Slater or Smith or maybe even Sewell.  

SoBeDad said:
I'm playing this out but I have felt all along that someone in that Atlanta front office wakes up and figures out all these skill toys they have are useless if they can't block. If they could run the clock out when they get these big leads they would win a lot more football games and might have fended off the Patriots to win a SB few years back. Julio needs to figure out how to continue his career because he still is better than 90% of them, maybe he needs to dodge as many hits from here on out and start going out of bounds a little more. 

Falcons-Sewell then Cinci doesn't matter who they take IMHO, they go TE all 3 WRs left plus 2 QBs, Miami could slide down and pick up more Draft capital. They're gonna need it. 

I think Atlanta will trade out to someone infatuated with Trey Lance.  Washington, Denver, or New England.  Cinci could take Sewell, Chase, or Pitts.  In my opinion, as long as we get Pitts or Chase we should be psyched.  Sewell isnt as sexy but would still be a great pick.  If Lance is still there at 6 (likely if Atlanta takes Pitts) and we get a great offer for the pick - especially if its Denver and we are only moving down a couple spots I think we do that and grab an extra 2nd or maybe even more if theres a bidding war.  

If its Denver, we are really only moving down 2 spots because we know they will use 6 on Lance - then 7 and 8 will take players and we would be at 9 - so we still get Waddle or Slater or Smith or maybe even Sewell.  
Sewell is very sexy if you look at some fo his tape, he can clear an entire side out, we're talking Willie Roaf type stuff IMHO, I'm not sure Miami could turn pretend they are above taking him. I was not that excited about him at first but I kinda think h would solve an enormous amount of problems we keep drafting guys to try and plug and fix holes. Sewell would be no holes on the Right side and push everyone in, maybe Jackson becomes an OG eventually. 

But I would slide down and let Dallas trade up for Pitts vs drafting him and then trading Mike Gesicki to Dallas, would rather take the Dallas 2nd Rounder this year and slide back 4 spots, get another Top 50 pick and try to fill the following spots...WR(2nd Rd), IOL(G/C) again in the 2nd Round, Edge-We need it and probably will burn it on the 18 pick, Safety-If not Moerhig I also like Grant and Holland in this Draft, Holland can also play Slot, he is ideal. RB at some point would be nice but I will be sad if they burn a 1st Rd pick on anyone of these guys, not interested in Harris for the price, like Gainwell from Memphis A LOT! 

If Miami slides back to 10, I think they could still nab one fo the Top3 WRs if that's really what they want to do. That would make the 36 pick I think Moore is perfect for and they could use that for an Edge rusher or something int he Front-7. 

These are just some thoughts Chuck, I have no idea what Miami is going to do come Draft night. I do not think the Miami Front-7 is NOT good shape as it stands right now. They need another DT, Edge rush and an ILB IMO, all 3 right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sewell is very sexy if you look at some fo his tape, he can clear an entire side out, we're talking Willie Roaf type stuff IMHO, I'm not sure Miami could turn pretend they are above taking him. I was not that excited about him at first but I kinda think h would solve an enormous amount of problems we keep drafting guys to try and plug and fix holes. Sewell would be no holes on the Right side and push everyone in, maybe Jackson becomes an OG eventually. 

But I would slide down and let Dallas trade up for Pitts vs drafting him and then trading Mike Gesicki to Dallas, would rather take the Dallas 2nd Rounder this year and slide back 4 spots, get another Top 50 pick and try to fill the following spots...WR(2nd Rd), IOL(G/C) again in the 2nd Round, Edge-We need it and probably will burn it on the 18 pick, Safety-If not Moerhig I also like Grant and Holland in this Draft, Holland can also play Slot, he is ideal. RB at some point would be nice but I will be sad if they burn a 1st Rd pick on anyone of these guys, not interested in Harris for the price, like Gainwell from Memphis A LOT! 

If Miami slides back to 10, I think they could still nab one fo the Top3 WRs if that's really what they want to do. That would make the 36 pick I think Moore is perfect for and they could use that for an Edge rusher or something int he Front-7. 

These are just some thoughts Chuck, I have no idea what Miami is going to do come Draft night. I do not think the Miami Front-7 is in good shape as it stands right now. They need another DT, Edge rush and an ILB IMO, all 3 right now. 
Agreed.  I think we are in a fantastic spot at 6 and will have a lot of very good options, be it players to draft or teams to trade with.  There will be some coveted players available when we are up, and if one is Trey Lance, we could really see some fireworks as teams jocky to get up into that spot and take him.  I would not be upset if we took Sewell.  I agree with your statements.  Its never exciting on draft day when you take an OL in the first round, but man, they are incredibly important to your offense's success and an easy argument can be made that a foundation LT like him is more important than an every-year pro bowl WR. 

6-Pitts

18-Moerhig...and no I don't trade down because too many are wise to him at this point. He is one of 3-4 players on Defense I think are can't miss. Kwitty Paye works fine here as well but Moerhig is a surefire hit, whoever gets him. 

36-Elijah Moore and this would make for an outstanding rookie tandem at the skill positions to help Tua

50-Landon Dickerson, Center from Alabama who can't finish a season it seems but he sure does block like an All Pro when he is out there. He could solve a lot of problems. I also like Dillon Radunz, the Tackle from NDSU who helped set up soem nice clean pockets for this Trey Lance kid at QB who is going 1st Round. 

Couple other names I will throw out there I could be happy with. LBs, either Jabril Cox or Nick Bolton from Missouri, these are ILB types, Baker will be entering Year 4 and I am a little up n down if we are keeping him and the guy they got back for Lawson, think his name is McKinnie, not too sure about him but we will see. There's room for a guy to walk in and establish himself as the Alpha at MLB. 

If we haven't gotten anyone at Edge, it's possible Basham from GA Tech falls into the 2nd Round and I like him enough, also think Peyton Turner from Houston is an interesting prospect. 

81-Defensive Tackle, maybe Osa from UCLA or Marvin Wilson from Florida State. Also would like to see Kenneth Gainwell at RB if they want to go in that direction, maybe after they get Dickerson if they draft him.  

I'm using Pitts at 6 and this is what I come up with
My take:  

6- Pitts or Chase or at worst Devonte Smith (or even maybe sewell)

18- Moerhig seems like a reach, but I'll take your word for it.  when I mock 18 seems to be a sweet spot in terms of guys who could fall (all the edge guys, Parsons, ND LB) So its a nice spot for the phins to be if value falls to them.  If all that is there are corners and o linemen, I could see a trade down for someone like Moerhig or the LB out of Kentucky, and maybe even Harris or Etienne.  This pick screams swing pick to me.

36 - Disagree with Moore and I think if Miami is serious about the RB position, the Javonte Williams (assuming on draft day he doesn't rise).  Harris or Etienne "could" be here (I don't see it with the glaring needs for the Steelers and Jets), and it really goes to the issue of "Is this a Tua draft or not?"  One of the Cane Edge rushers could be here as well and I like all three of them.

Also, if Pitts is gone and we got Chase or Smith, we will not need another WR.

50 - Maybe center (it does need to be addressed) but some good tackles and guards should be here as well.  I also wouldn't count out a safety or corner with safety skills. I think there are edge rushers up and down this draft so anywhere from pick 18 to 81 they can get a contributor.

81 - Quentin (small school Center) or DT or The next tier of WRs.  If we miss out on Pitts but we are retooling the offense to a 2 TE set, then Brevin Jordan out of MIami.

Later rounds:  There are a bunch of Guard/center/tackle style projects that Miami could look at and someLB and corner/Safety players that can do special teams work.  Maybe a Fatass Nose tackle wouldn't surprise me either.

That's my take.

I would say that pick 6 has little to no influence on pick 18, but pick 6 and 18 influence the rest of the draft.  I believe the dolphins go offense defense on their first 2, but lets say they go offense offense (TE/ WR or WR/RB) I think the rest of the draft will be playing catch up.  If something crazy happens like Phins go Pitts Bateman Javonte then the whole rest of the draft is likely defense with one spot for a guy who can play center.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this...

The Pitts hype is getting to the point that I think Atlanta or Cinci almost HAS to take him if he is there.  Again, teams' draft boards are what they are, but GMs on Atlanta and Cinci have the excuse of "He's the best player on our board" if they take him.  Atlanta taking a QB at 4 seems less likely and a team moving to the 4 spot could just as easily be moving there for Pitts as any of the QBs.

5 then means that Cinci could take chase and the phins draft genius evaporates from moving down from 3 to 6. Waddle or Smith seem like solid options as does Sewell but there is no way that the phins FO can spin this as a win. Maybe they move down a little more (Hello Denver Broncos), but I think (I don't really know their master plan, so I think) them talking Waddle there over smith would have some detractors and them taking Smith over waddle would as well. Same for Sewell (although I love the idea that they take sewell and trade him in a few years for 2 1sts and a 2nd perpetuating the Tunsil trade forever and ever)

The Pitts hype is getting to the point that I think Atlanta or Cinci almost HAS to take him if he is there.  Again, teams' draft boards are what they are, but GMs on Atlanta and Cinci have the excuse of "He's the best player on our board" if they take him.  Atlanta taking a QB at 4 seems less likely and a team moving to the 4 spot could just as easily be moving there for Pitts as any of the QBs.

5 then means that Cinci could take chase and the phins draft genius evaporates from moving down from 3 to 6. Waddle or Smith seem like solid options as does Sewell but there is no way that the phins FO can spin this as a win. Maybe they move down a little more (Hello Denver Broncos), but I think (I don't really know their master plan, so I think) them talking Waddle there over smith would have some detractors and them taking Smith over waddle would as well. Same for Sewell (although I love the idea that they take sewell and trade him in a few years for 2 1sts and a 2nd perpetuating the Tunsil trade forever and ever)
Sewell upgrades the offense more for 2021 than would Chase or Smith. I'm not sold on LT Austin Jackson, and Sewell would also upgrade either guard position. PFF has the Miami oline ranked 28 last year. RT Robert Hunt showed the most promise as a rookie. Sewell would help both the running and passing game. He's a once in a decade 20 year old talent. 

If Fuller plays 16 games, a big if, I don't see Chase or Smith making a bigger impact than Sewell in 2021. We have 2 picks to address WR, maybe Elijah Moore or Terrance Marshall in the 2nd round.

Sewell upgrades the offense more for 2021 than would Chase or Smith. I'm not sold on LT Austin Jackson, and Sewell would also upgrade either guard position. PFF has the Miami oline ranked 28 last year. RT Robert Hunt showed the most promise as a rookie. Sewell would help both the running and passing game. He's a once in a decade 20 year old talent. 

If Fuller plays 16 games, a big if, I don't see Chase or Smith making a bigger impact than Sewell in 2021. We have 2 picks to address WR, maybe Elijah Moore or Terrance Marshall in the 2nd round.
It's time to start asking if Miami would like to have a Willie Roaf at Tackle or any team that is considering drafting Sewell because that's the kind of talent and skill we're talking about here. And Tua is a Lefty so Sewell could come in and start at Right Tackle and protect his blind side. I'm not sold on ANY of our 1st Round selections from 2020. So I agree about Jackson. 

It's time to start asking if Miami would like to have a Willie Roaf at Tackle or any team that is considering drafting Sewell because that's the kind of talent and skill we're talking about here. And Tua is a Lefty so Sewell could come in and start at Right Tackle and protect his blind side. I'm not sold on ANY of our 1st Round selections from 2020. So I agree about Jackson. 
It is a weird draft with how much people are falling in love with QBs and receivers.  Positional value matters and having a tackle can protect a QB's backside is the 2nd most valuable position on any offense IMO.

I think they traded to this spot because there are 3 non qb's they covet.

100 agree with this. Game is won in the trenches. Revamped the entire Oline last year - now finish it with Sewell.

In recent days I have said I am relegated to Miami picking at 6 and they sure are not thinking QB although they should be but that's another matter all together. 

Pitts is interesting but they have a solid TE in Gesicki and if they really wanted Pitts why would they slide back, no agreement he will be there at 6 although he could be. Imagine SF with Kittle and Pitts, oh goodness. But odds are high they traded future 1st round picks to get a QB, that would seem logical. 

I see Chase going to Cinci on a lot of Mocks...I just hate the thought of Miami taking one of those 2 Alabama WRs, I just don't like the build of Smith and Waddle only played a few games from my research, lot of hype around a guy we know little about. 

Wish Miami would get something juicy from say SD, Wash, Chi, they all have picks in the 2nd Round of this year's Draft that could do us a lot of good with so many needs and then the Media and Fans wanting to take a WR when we have Parker, Fuller and don't forget Bowden they traded for last season. 

You cannot convince me that Waddle or Smith or even Chase are a better Wide Receiver walking into the NFL than DeVante Parker in this very moment, April 2021...not to say that in a season or two they can't surpass him but the Media acting like Tua is being held back because Miami has nothing for him to work with can kiss my "tuna can" because that's simply not true. You can have all the weapons in the World but if you don't have a solid OL to operate behind than you will never look as good as you could on offense. 

I'm nervous at 6 because I feel like Miami is going to blow the pick much like they may have blown 3 1st Round picks in 2020, they got 2 more to whiff on and 2 more in the first 16-18 picks of the 2nd Round. 

This Draft should send Miami into a different arc, much like last year's should have and they've gotten very little impact from anyone they have drafted early in some time now. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Dolphins are "considering" trading the No. 6 overall pick.

It's not news that the Dolphins have "received calls from teams looking to trade up to No. 6" — one of the 'Big Five' quarterbacks were always expected to fall there since the Bengals filled that need last year. But Miami weighing whether to move back (again) for multiple picks would obviously shake up the draft in a variety of ways. The Broncos, Patriots, and Bears are all teams that could try and jostle their positions to secure a first-round talent under center at No. 6.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 19, 2021, 5:43 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Dolphins are "considering" trading the No. 6 overall pick.

It's not news that the Dolphins have "received calls from teams looking to trade up to No. 6" — one of the 'Big Five' quarterbacks were always expected to fall there since the Bengals filled that need last year. But Miami weighing whether to move back (again) for multiple picks would obviously shake up the draft in a variety of ways. The Broncos, Patriots, and Bears are all teams that could try and jostle their positions to secure a first-round talent under center at No. 6.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 19, 2021, 5:43 PM ET
:whistle:

First I'm hearing of this...

Since we have actual legs now with Faust posting the news links...

-Detroit at #7 owns the #41 and #72...variety of reasons they might want to secure the 6 spot or move ahead. 

-Carolina at #8 made a move for Darnold, if anything I see them trading back. 

-Denver called Atlanta and can probably work a deal for their future QB if they need to. 

-Dallas at #10 is interesting but it revolves more around Pitts and Gesicki, trading one or trading down.

-San Diego at #13 might want to trade up if Pitts or a WR they desire is on the board, Washington at 19 and Chicago at 20 which owns the 52 pick as well, WFT has #51 as well. I would love to see Miami squeeze them and get another Top 50 pick, they need to load up since they strikeout so much.   

Conspiracy theory: they moved back up to 6 so they could control where Lance goes when he falls, so he doesn't go to the Pats  :tinfoilhat:

Or maybe they just thought 6 would still get them Chase or Pitts and they are now realizing it might not. 

Miami signs another journeyman olineman in DJ Flkuker to a 1 year deal. OK run blocker, poor pass protector. Can play all positions but center. This increases the odds that we won't take Sewell at 6, if available. We could still take an IOL in the 2nd or 3rd round. It's an insurance signing for injury. Miami is hoping their 3 rookies on the oline improve in year 2. DJ is a strong dude: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1384342549062639621

Miami Basically baiting all those teams that want Sewell or Slater to Come at them Bro (besides those that want a QB if SF takes Jones), but if Chase or Pitts make it to 6 they are standing Pat.  Still 9 days to the draft.  Seems like forever...

@Jason_OTC

·

3h

Teams who will likely need to create cap space to sign all their draft picks: Dolphins Bucs Bears Saints Falcons

SoBeDad said:
Miami signs another journeyman olineman in DJ Flkuker to a 1 year deal. OK run blocker, poor pass protector. Can play all positions but center. This increases the odds that we won't take Sewell at 6, if available. We could still take an IOL in the 2nd or 3rd round. It's an insurance signing for injury. Miami is hoping their 3 rookies on the oline improve in year 2. DJ is a strong dude: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1384342549062639621
This a good set up to discuss the Offensive Line which sure has been pretty offensive for as long as I can remember. Even when Long was drafted #1 overall at LT and earning Pro Bowls we still stunk at almost all the other spots on the line. 

-We have to be honest that they did inject 3 players into the OL, 3 rookies! Dan Marino took over behind Dwight Stephenson(Hall of Fame), Bob Keuchenberg(Should be in the Hall) and Ed Newman(All Pro), Marino literally had 3 ALL Pro OL in front of him and I sit here and have the nerve to bash Tua at every chance I can and yeah maybe I need to take a step back. 

That said, Miami doesn't appear like they solved a lot of their OL problems at the moment. I do believe s solid IOL would be ideal in the 3rd round at about pick #81 but they did that 2 years ago and still have Dieter on the roster, he played Center in college some and maybe Miami will surprise everyone and have this kid ready in Year 3, he was a Top 100 pick, he's done zippo since getting here. 

Here are some guys I like that Miami can likely get much later at some point in the Draft...Drake Jackson, OC/IOL for Kentucky, Kendrick Green OG, Illinois and then Walker Little, OT from Stanford, don't think those guys will get drafted in the first couple rounds and would provide better depth at some point than Fluker who was signed simply to get more bodies in camp, he's not likely to factor in much IMHO. 

But let's go back to the 3 guys from last year, Jackson, Kindley and Hunt. I'm sure the front office is assuming they make strides and will look a lot better this coming season. I doubt we see Miami draft an OL in the first 2 rounds unless something falls in their lap. 

@Jason_OTC

·

3h

Teams who will likely need to create cap space to sign all their draft picks: Dolphins Bucs Bears Saints Falcons
Miami can save about $2.75M by releasing Albert Wilson at any point they desire. Yes he's still on the team. I'm working my way thru the WRs...did you know it cost more to release Allen Hurns than it will to keep him on the roster this year? Did you know Allen Hurns was sill a Miami Dolphin? If we are to believe Hurns and WIlson are on the roster in '21, you got Parker and Fuller who are going to be starting, then there is Jakeem Grant who Miami can save $4M after June 1st if they release him. Bowden and Mack Hollins are on the roster, where is this flashy rookie at Pick-6 going to be squeezed in? 

Parker's cap hit is a lot bigger than I had previously researched, that's actually a good thing IMHO, it marries the Phins to him for another couple years, I don't think Parker is holding Tua back at all. 

$13M between the two starting Safeties, another reason I would like to see Moerhig or perhaps Richie Grant/Javon Holland, one of these guys drafted and we could save some real money at Safety.

Ogbah and McKinley total about $15M and cost nothing to release but that's kind of nuts, we need them both right now desperately.  

Also of note with that Triple was saying about cap space...Miami in free agency signed almost everyone to 1-year deals meaning even though they might need to make a cut or two before things are done in 2021, they are still in tremendously good shape in terms of their cap moving forward. 

They likely have to start addressing/extending Gesicki and Jerome Baker at ILB, things to keep in mind as we inch closer to the Draft. If Miami is not going to extend them long term deals or their 2nd contract, both could provide some trade value moving up and down the board is needed.  

Miami WR Depth Chart...

WR1-Parker

WR2-Fuller

WR3-Preston Williams, the Unicorn, remember me? He has shown serious flashes. 

WR4-Lynn Bowden

WR5-Jakeem Grant

WR6-Albert Wilson

WR7-Mack Hollins

WR8-Allen Hurns

Parker and Fuller who both battled injuries and Fuller a suspension, In 2020, they combined for almost 1,700 yds and 12 TDs between the two of them, the year prior in 2019 they were 1,800 yds and 12 TDs again...odds are high they will come close or surpass those numbers again this year unless Tua and the OL holds them back. 

Where does WR fit in for Miami in the Draft?

Miami WR Depth Chart...

WR1-Parker

WR2-Fuller

WR4-Lynn Bowden

WR5-Jakeem Grant

WR6-Albert Wilson

WR7-Mack Hollins

WR8-Allen Hurns

Parker and Fuller who both battled injuries and Fuller a suspension, In 2020, they combined for almost 1,700 yds and 12 TDs between the two of them, the year prior in 2019 they were 1,800 yds and 12 TDs again...odds are high they will come close or surpass those numbers again this year unless Tua and the OL holds them back. 

If Chase, but not Sewell, is available at 1.06, then I take him, or trade down.  Parker, Unicorn, and Fuller have all been injury prone, and Chase has all-pro written all over him, based on RAS and performance. If Sewell is the only one of the 2 available, easy decision, draft the best oline prospect in many years. If Sewell and one of Pitts or Chase is available, then tough decision. 

If we take Chase at 1.06, I'd still consider an OT or IOL at 2.04 or 2.18, as there's depth in 2021. Ideal scenario: Sewell at 1.06 and Elijah Moore at 2.04 and the rest defense. Fit in a RB 3rd round. A draft can't fill all holes on this team, and Gaskins showed improvement and is underrated as a pass receiver. He had 2 wow plays for me, the 37 yard reception downfield on a Tua scramble, and the TD reception and run from Fitzmagic in the Raider game.

Miami WR Depth Chart...

WR1-Parker

WR2-Fuller

WR4-Lynn Bowden

WR5-Jakeem Grant

WR6-Albert Wilson

WR7-Mack Hollins

WR8-Allen Hurns

I think the view here is who does Miami bring in that is better and will be cheaper for the foreseeable future than what is on the roster.

TE: Pitts is an upgrade over Gesecki, So the fins may keep G on his rookie deal one more year and let him walk or perhaps trade him to a team that wants a TE but won't get Pitts (hello, Dallas?)

WR: Same thing here.  Let's assume it is chase or waddle, why keep Parker at that point?  I'm sure a team like Green Bay would want an NFL ready WR over a rookie at the end of the first or top of the second.

Safety/DB: Again, to that point.  Miami gets another DB and it puts those currently on the team on the bubble or in line for a restructure.

Finally, I think Miami can get everyone signed and set by just changing X Howard's contract. They have an out for next year (only a 2.8 M Cap hit); if they adjust his bonus and kick the can down the road a little they should be able to get there. Howard is 28 now and will be 32 when his contract ends.  Move his out to when he hits 30 and forget the rest...

Also; Miami's line issues always go back to coaching.  We've spent plenty of draft capital on Players and get no where with them while new england puts some guy delivering kegs yesterday at guard and he becomes an all pro.

Also; Miami's line issues always go back to coaching.  We've spent plenty of draft capital on Players and get no where with them while new england puts some guy delivering kegs yesterday at guard and he becomes an all pro.
I feel like this is going to far back.  the current staff has shown the ability to teach up guys.  where as previous staffs it was most definitely a weakness.

Davonte Smith is high risk, possibly high reward. NFL skinny at 166 lbs, but tough as nails and better at beating press coverage in 2020 than any college WR in the past 5 years. With one exception, Smith in 2019. If Sewell, Chase, and Pitts are gone, at 1.06, I think Smith will be a Dolphin. 

Davonte Smith is high risk, possibly high reward. NFL skinny at 166 lbs, but tough as nails and better at beating press coverage in 2020 than any college WR in the past 5 years. With one exception, Smith in 2019. If Sewell, Chase, and Pitts are gone, at 1.06, I think Smith will be a Dolphin. 
I think it will really be a smith waddle decision.  I do not believe there to be a wrong choice there to be honest.  Pitts, Chase, Smith or waddle are all wins in my book.

I think it will really be a smith waddle decision.  I do not believe there to be a wrong choice there to be honest.  Pitts, Chase, Smith or waddle are all wins in my book.
If thats the case, trade down to 9/10, pick up an extra 2nd and get whichever of those guys drops.  But, MOP's point that we really may not need a WR right now is not untrue.  If the staff believes in Parker/Fuller/Williams as a viable starting 3, then maybe looking at Sewell or Slater makes more sense.  There are a lot of high end WRs apparently in this draft - can still grab a good one with our 2 - or the extra 2 we pick up trading down.  

How would you feel about Sewell?  To me, its the least exciting pick, but arguably the smartest pick - if he is not gone at 5.  

How would you feel about Sewell?  To me, its the least exciting pick, but arguably the smartest pick - if he is not gone at 5.  
I wouldn’t argue with taking a generational tackle prospect but I believe that there are better right tackles in this draft later than Sewell who is really a left tackle. He may actually be the pick bc the phins have said nothing about him and seem to be making every move to discount their taking of him. Still, let’s assume pitts and chase go 4 and 5. Miami will get calls for qb and for Sewell in that case.  Figure 8, 9, or 13 (chargers) would want to move up (especially if Mac Jones goes at 3). 

I think a lot of this comes down to Miami’s board and what they thought of the kids they coached at the senior bowl. I think they are saving their center pick for day 3 because of this and if they feel comfortable with some of the “lower rated” guys and want more picks then they’ll need to flip quality draft spots for quantity. 

as someone who didn’t coach the senior bowl but has been mocking a ton, them not leaving with a receiver and a rb with 2 of their top 3 picks seems like malpractice to me. I see it as receiver (pitts counts here), defense player, rb as the top three selections unless they trade down either of the top 2 picks then it may reverse. 

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1384869747536375814?s=20

Miami's defense had one of the NFL's best pressure rates and they did it uniquely: rate of rushing only 3 defenders: #1 - Patriots #2 - Panthers #3 - Dolphins rate of rushing 4 defenders: #32 - Dolphins look at their defensive depth and draft needs:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2021-draft-coverage-miami-dolphins/

I like Sharp... always interesting takes  
This is a phenomenal analysis - thank you for sharing it.  I am still reading through it, but this paragraph leads me to believe that Sewell is the player they should be coveting at 6.  If he is gone, I feel like a trade down to a spot where they feel Slater will still be there is the move.  It really all starts on the OL, and after reading this analysis, I feel less confident than I did before...

"While Miami has not been flush with talent at running back or wide receiver, their real offensive issues all circle back to their offensive line performance. Miami ranked 27th in ESPN’s Pass Block Win Rate (51%) and 23rd in their Run Block Win Rate (69%) metrics. Per Pro Football Focus, Miami collectively graded out 21st in pass blocking and 30th in run blocking."

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1384869747536375814?s=20

Miami's defense had one of the NFL's best pressure rates and they did it uniquely: rate of rushing only 3 defenders: #1 - Patriots #2 - Panthers #3 - Dolphins rate of rushing 4 defenders: #32 - Dolphins look at their defensive depth and draft needs:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2021-draft-coverage-miami-dolphins/

I like Sharp... always interesting takes  
DUDE!!! And I haven't gotten into the meat of it, just opening the wrapper like a Christmas present. This is going to show in detail that either I am justified that we should be filling up the Front-7 and OL or that we are just 1 WR away from the Super Bowl, should be an incredible read. 

I think it was you who injected this Sharp Football guy in another post, I just started reading him and I always am entertained. He has a lot of interesting angles. 

This is a phenomenal analysis - thank you for sharing it.  I am still reading through it, but this paragraph leads me to believe that Sewell is the player they should be coveting at 6.  If he is gone, I feel like a trade down to a spot where they feel Slater will still be there is the move.  It really all starts on the OL, and after reading this analysis, I feel less confident than I did before...

"While Miami has not been flush with talent at running back or wide receiver, their real offensive issues all circle back to their offensive line performance. Miami ranked 27th in ESPN’s Pass Block Win Rate (51%) and 23rd in their Run Block Win Rate (69%) metrics. Per Pro Football Focus, Miami collectively graded out 21st in pass blocking and 30th in run blocking."
Chuck, I don't disagree, but the first "right tackle" is Spenser Brown and he could conceivably be there at 50.  Everyone else in the top 5 of tackles really played left tackle in college and the phins already have 3 projects on the line.  

My feeling on the dolphin line is the way I feel the Pats did it.  Shore up the middle of the line and then worry about the outside.  Again, I will not be upset about a tackle at 6-13 (depending on the move) but defenses do not have to game plan around a tackle.  They do have to game plan for Pitts, Chase, Waddle and likely smith as well as Etienne Harris or J Williams.

I wouldn’t argue with taking a generational tackle prospect
This has now become an across the board opinion. We all differ in our thoughts about TE/WR at 6 vs trading down and grabbing the top Defensive players after all these Offensive players come off the board. The one guy though who nobody bats an eye when his name is mentioned and we all just nod our heads as if to say yeah we know we need this. 

It's interesting, not saying Penai is the right call or not but it seems like nobody is going to be upset about it. 

Users who are viewing this thread