What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (2 Viewers)

BIG WIN!  Tua has room for growth OFC but man he showed up big. AZ looks legit. 
rookie Ahmed looked pretty good. Could be an all Washington backfield moving forward. 

still not happy with the tackle on Preston, nor the cut on Bobby.  Let’s hope they heal up quick. 

Lots to discuss this morning, let's discuss the Offensive Line and what has happened apparently since Jackson went on Injured Reserve. 

They could only muster about 2.8 yds per carry but they allowed just 2 sacks and it seemed like Fitz had a lot more time to throw the football. Jesse Davis rolled over to Left Tackle and he has logged time there before. Is he a Top 10 Left Tackle? Of course not but he has experience and certainly isn't worse than the rookie Jackson was performing. I thought Hunt was a real find in the draft and am happy he is able to see the field but still got to watch for a month as the season started. The interior of the line didn't create a lot of room to run but overall this group was solid. I would say about a "C" Run Blocking (Gaskins did manage 3.6) but I would give them a B+ for Pass Blocking. They have/had been putting out "F" work both Run and Pass Blocking some weeks so this was major improvement. 

Myles Gaskin got a lot of work and seemed to be called on in the red zone. Still think Miami needs an upgrade and some better depth if Howard is going to be a healthy scratch. Cut him and move on. Gaskin managed 21 touches for 91 yards, 5 catches, he is getting all the work for Miami and will continue in that role. They play some really soft teams coming up and have an excellent chance at string together some more wins. "B" for me when you get beyond the 3.6 yds per carry, he looked confident running the ball, he's not fast at all. Looked good catching the ball when asked to be involved. 

The WRs/TEs with Parker-Preston-Gesicki, it's a nice trio and then you have Ford and Grant able to contribute as well. The unit is coming together nicely. I think you have to grade them overall as an "A" this week. 

QB-Fitzpatrick, A+...what else could you really give him this week? He was just about perfect and he almost nails down the starting spot for another month. 

I would put the offense overall as about as close to an "A" as they are going to get. 43 points, a lot of FGs and they looked in control from the opening drive. 

Lets's discuss defense. Jerome Baker was outstanding, Van Ginkel saw a lot of action and got results, Grugier Hill was all over the place, Roberts, Ogbah, Seiler, Van Noy, Godchaux, Wilkins...they had guy after guy making plays and TFL and QB pressures and Sacks and they forced San Fran into turning the ball over. 8 QB Hits and 5 Sacks, they were all over the QB most of the day, they also allowed a lot of yds per carry on the ground and Raheem Mostert gashed us good but the Niners were so far behind they had to abandon the run. 

Front 7 Pass Rush "A" and Front 7 Rush Defense "C" but it felt like San Fran was in 3rd and long all day. 

And the secondary played very well. Byron Jones and Xavien Howard looked very difficult to try and beat. Nik Needham had a rough series or two but overall Miami nailed it in the Secondary. 

Miami Secondary "A" including 7 PD and 2 Interceptions

The schedule going forward...@NYJets next week now, LAC, LAR, @AZ, NYJ, @Denver CIN, think that's how it's supposed to roll next few weeks. Lots of winnable games suddenly, seriously, this team could get to 8-4 if things were to roll their way, make December interesting with games vs the Patriots and Bills towards the end. 

Tua might not see the field for a good long while still, not sure how they can bench Fitz. 

Miami is 7 and 7 over their last 14 games under Coach Flores

Miami has Two 1st and Two 2nd round picks, that's likely an extra Top 10 pick and perhaps another Top 40-50 pick on top of the two they have of their own. Some more OL help surely is coming and then you have the luxury of some raw speed to inject into the offense and perhaps a High Ceiling Pass Rusher. It's taking shape, this 43-17 pasting of the Niners was a real feather in Miami's cap. 
This is what I wrote back when they beat San Fran and started this 4 game Win streak

Let's take a look at their next 4 Games...LAC, @Den, @NYJ, CIN...those are all winnable games but I don't think they can go 4-0 over this stretch, worried a little about weather and the Mile High to when we face Denver and there are ways they could not do as well over this stretch but I have to think Tua should do OK against most of these teams. 

I had a blast today watching them play, we haven't seena. football game with that kind of level of intensity and lead changes and 4th Q comebacks which Tua got his 1st today. 

Marino had 33 of them and 47 Game Winning Drives, think Tua might have done both today. 

Defense did the best they could but after a while they looked lost chasing Kyler everywhere. 

3-1 vs NFC West, remember that

I wrote after San Fran it was possible they could get to 8-4, they are at 5-3 and I think 3-1 over the next month would be excellent for the Phins

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the win guys. I wish I could have watched this one live.

Good to know that Tua has worked himself into MOPs circle of trust now.

Last week I started the Rams D.  This week I started Arizona D.  I think it's time that I start respecting the Dolphins offense!

So many things to discuss and we got a great game ahead this week. Don't care what the LAC record is, we gotta face Herbert and he's every bit as good looking a rookie QB as the one we're all hyped up on right now. And it's exciting how we get to see Tua face off with very recent other top picks at QB like Murray last week, Goff 2 weeks prior and so we are seeing first hand just how special this kid is going to be. I don't want to build him into Superman yet but I just watched one of the most amazing and competitive football games Miami has played in ages. I gotta go back to perhaps Marino and a lot of those playoff trips when there were some, didn't always work out well. And what we just saw was a Playoff Level football game being played by a Playoff Level football team, that's what we saw.  Just how good? Was it more of a Wildcard Playoff Game, whatever you want to call it, there was something in the air during that game going back and forth both teams, just an incredible display of perseverance, now there's a word we don't often use around here to describe the Miami Dolphins. 

I want to draw your attention first to the OL and some notes you ma not be aware of. 1st Q was Jesse Davis at LT, Kindley RG, Hunt RT, Flowers and Karras played the whole way at LG-C and in fact Flowers is having like the best year of his career and is anchoring the line, he had his highest rating ever as a professional this past week vs AZ. In the 2nd Q and for the rest of the game, our Rookie Austin Jackson came in at LT, now he was on I/R and was not looking good but he was able to survey the field the first 15 minutes and watch what he was coming into and he did pretty well I thought. Davis rolled over to RG, a great spot for him and worked alongside our other rookie Tackle, Robert Hunt and they went to work protecting Tua's blind side. That means that it's Kindley's job to push Jesse Davis to the bench. Jackson was taken #16 overall and he's going to be our LT so there's not much to think about here unless he truly flops. Since his return from injury, he looked a lot more settled to me. I'll try and take a deep breath but do you understand the VALUE in having 2 ROOKIE Tackles that can actually play and allow Tua to set up and throw deep balls? Now eventually all this good work on the OL is going to create some terrific running lanes but we'll get to that later in another post. 

I was surprised when I looked in the stat column and saw Gesicki with only 3/42. I felt like Tua will use the TE frequently. I think Mike is heading for a monster 2nd half of the Season. Tua likes to spray it around so far at least, but I like th connection he has with Gesicki. Tua looked like he enjoyed Preston Williams and what he brings to the table. Add in the 35 yds in DPI and Parker was at abut 100 yds this past week. Tua throws for 350/3Td and NO INTERCEPTIONS!!! I highlighted how Murray has 27 turnovers in 22 starts and then he committed #28 in the 1st Q and gave Miami a huge spark leading to a 24-17 1st Half lead...that was one of the most entertaining 1st half of NFL Football I've seen in a long long time. Both of them knew exactly what they wanted to do and the execution for the most part was top notch. usually when we see a high octane offense we think we have no chance, that's changing I'm happy to say. 

Murray really found the holes in this defense, the few he could exploit but they did find way to counterpunch Coach Flores and I think I want to close this post with a focus on him. Miami was brilliant at the end of the 1st Half and the End of the Game. Go back and watch how Coach Kingbury wastes a timeout at the 2:30 minute mark of the 1st Half. He could have saved some much needed time, almost 45 second they just let evaporate and then they didn't manage to even pick up a first down, they were trailing 21-17 at the time and remember, we scored a Def TD so they were building momentum and could have easily cut it to 21-20 or even taken the lead. Instead we move the ball down and get a FG, 24-17 Miami. And then at the end of the football game, again Cocah Kliff over there all too eager to go 4th and 1 until we stood them up finally. 

Just an amazing win. 

@SwampDawg I think we need a weekly title change, "Goff, Murray...who's next? Herbert!" or something like that in the Title, we gotta stay current here.

Edit to add: on 2nd thought, "Tua Time" is just right, it's a great umbrella for everything the 2nd half of the Season 👍

I smell Playoffs folks. We got 4 very winnable games coming up and I think if we could go 3-1 over that stretch, get to 8-4 and see if we can challenge Buffalo to a Showdown in the last month fo the season. 

10-6! That's where I'm at right now and you could talk me into 11-5. 

Was thrilled to be able to grab Tua off the WW this week to cover Mahomes bye week.  Other available options were Mayfield, Foles, Lock, Mullens, Flacco, Luton and Alex Smith.

Tua goes from David Woodley to Dan Marino comparisons in one week? Dude won’t have a chance with some fans.

that's my issue with "hot takes" culture. 
I can still criticize; Tua is a little scary at times when he gets careless...however if you watched the entire game start to finish(I know you did), you saw a QB grow right under your watchful eyes, it was amazing to see him do something we haven't had in a very long time. 31-24 Arizona late 3rd Q, Miami fans are thinking we are about to get run out of the building. We couldn't stop Murray much after the 1st Def-TD and yet Tua managed to answer, to punch back, to say not on my watch it ain't ending like this, like so many times in the past 20+ years, have mercy on some of us with PTSD after all these years

And the Shula stuff is more for Flores than anything. Yeah we have a QB prospect trending up but we might have the best Head Coach that's been hired around the NFL in the last 2-3 years, he's making huge strides, should be on a short list of Coach of the Year nominees, what he's done in such a short period of time is miraculous. I can't think of a Unit on this team that hasn't gone thru huge improvement since he arrived and put his hands and fingerprints all over this team. 

Let’s not overlook how important Sanders has been as well. He’s been absolute money all season. 20 straight FG made? If you’re having playoff visions, having a strong kicking game is important. Looks like they definitely have that. 

Preston Williams to IR. Bummer. Looks like he was injured by a teammate after the TD. I’ve always been a big fan of Grant. Hopefully he gets a shot now. 

Let’s not overlook how important Sanders has been as well. He’s been absolute money all season. 20 straight FG made? If you’re having playoff visions, having a strong kicking game is important. Looks like they definitely have that. 

Preston Williams to IR. Bummer. Looks like he was injured by a teammate after the TD. I’ve always been a big fan of Grant. Hopefully he gets a shot now. 
-First of all what a great name to throw out on a WW whim this week. I think that is excellent. For far too long I have felt that Grant could be a weekly contributor and perhaps starting. We know he is fast and if tua can work him into the Kirk role that AZ carved out for him, I can see Grant getting loose a couple times a game and again making it possible to open up the underneath lanes and eventually open up some major holes for the running game. 

-As I posted, there isn't one Unit including Special Teams, kickers, etc that hasn't gotten better since Flores walked thru those doors. 

🤜🤛

-First of all what a great name to throw out on a WW whim this week. I think that is excellent. For far too long I have felt that Grant could be a weekly contributor and perhaps starting. We know he is fast and if tua can work him into the Kirk role that AZ carved out for him, I can see Grant getting loose a couple times a game and again making it possible to open up the underneath lanes and eventually open up some major holes for the running game. 

-As I posted, there isn't one Unit including Special Teams, kickers, etc that hasn't gotten better since Flores walked thru those doors. 

🤜🤛
I thought Grant would get his chance when Landry was traded. He had an injury and the team was a disaster at the time though. I don’t want this to come across the wrong way, but I always thought it would be wise to use him like the Chiefs use Hill. Again, not saying he’s anywhere near Hill as a player but that’s where a player like Grant could really shine. Get him the ball in space, use touch passes, reverses, and let him do his thing. 

I thought Grant would get his chance when Landry was traded. He had an injury and the team was a disaster at the time though. I don’t want this to come across the wrong way, but I always thought it would be wise to use him like the Chiefs use Hill. Again, not saying he’s anywhere near Hill as a player but that’s where a player like Grant could really shine. Get him the ball in space, use touch passes, reverses, and let him do his thing. 
That's so funny because that's exactly who he reminds me of...i almost wrote "poor man's" Tyreek Hill. I think he is prime to have a breakout game in the coming weeks. 

greedygoat said:
Was thrilled to be able to grab Tua off the WW this week to cover Mahomes bye week.  Other available options were Mayfield, Foles, Lock, Mullens, Flacco, Luton and Alex Smith.
You starting him over Baker? I grabbed Mayfield to cover for Mahomes this week, but I drafted Tua and I was leaning Baker because of Houston.

But CLE can also run the ball which might lower his ceiling. I don't know if Miami can as well. Might give Tua a better ceiling? It seems so risky for a rookie in just his third game. Will the loss of Williams hurt him also?

You starting him over Baker? I grabbed Mayfield to cover for Mahomes this week, but I drafted Tua and I was leaning Baker because of Houston.

But CLE can also run the ball which might lower his ceiling. I don't know if Miami can as well. Might give Tua a better ceiling? It seems so risky for a rookie in just his third game. Will the loss of Williams hurt him also?
Mayfield was definitely my close 2nd choice, but I leaned Tua for a couple reasons.  Baker, who is just returning from the Covid list, has a much better running game around him.  Chubb will be returning this week to join Hunt in the backfield.  Houston defense ranks last in the league in run defense.  Preston Williams going on IR will definitely hurt Tua, but will it hurt more than Baker losing OBJ?  I also like Tua's scrambling ability to get my team a couple extra points.  Dolphins just seem like a team on rise in comparison to Cleveland.

Debating Tua vs Tannehill today. Herbert is such a gunslinger, I think this could be a back and forth game like Mia vs Arz last week.

Debating Tua vs Tannehill today. Herbert is such a gunslinger, I think this could be a back and forth game like Mia vs Arz last week.
Wow, interesting decision... Both games over/under sitting at 48.5 points.  Dolphins former QB going up against the 5th ranked pass defense vs. the current QB going up against the 14th ranked pass defense.

Wow, interesting decision... Both games over/under sitting at 48.5 points.  Dolphins former QB going up against the 5th ranked pass defense vs. the current QB going up against the 14th ranked pass defense.
Indy's YTD performance is interesting. Stafford and Burrow are really the only passers they have faced and both threw for over 300 yards. Tannehill has moderated a bit in recent weeks with Lewan out, but always touchdown dependent. That O/U feels a little high for the AFC South matchup

Chargers have a lot of talent on defense too and their rating is more reflective of facing better QBs. It will be a true test for Tua with likely a wide range of game scripts.

With Wilkins and Van Noy on the COVID List this D could be in for a long day...let’s hope it’s only contract tracing and they’re back Sunday. They’ve both been key 

Kyle talks about how things might change in the front 7 without them 
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/13/how-can-dolphins-pivot-defensive-personnel-versus-chargers/
Van Not activated:

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/kyle-van-noy-activated-antonio-callaway-elevated-to-active-roster

Tua now 3-0 as a Starter, beaten Goff, Murray and now Herbert. 

Miami is 6-3 and holding down the 7 spot in the Playoffs from what I am gathering. They share the same record with the Titans, Browns, Raiders, Ravens and yes the Colts. Buffalo is clinging to a half game lead and we face them in December. 

More big plays by special teams and the Defense although i was impressed with the ground game and finally getting a footing there. I believe Tua is partly responsible and his threat to throw the football, teams seem to be falling back a bit. Great blocks again this week by Ereck Flowers both pass blocking but he was moving people in the running game. Ahmed looked good, hope he can continue playing like this. 

And oh yeah...the Houston texans lost again and fall to 2-7 with just a 3 point loss at Cleveland and they only scored 10 points, the Browns that is. That should have been 3-6 so it kind of takes the sting off the Jags win they had the prior week. 

No 6 overall pick as of today. NE @Det IND @Chi @IND CIN TEN...they could lose all of them but maybe only another couple wins on that schedule. 4-12 should land Miami something like 7-8-9...for a team that potentially could make the Playoffs and then turn around and have a Top 10 pick to add some real zip to this team, that's huge. They might even be able to trade down or back and load up some more. 

I was counting...Tua(QB), Strowbridge(DE)(saw him Sunday), Perry, Kindley(RG), Brandon Jones(Safety), Austin Jackson(LT), Igbinoghene, Hunt(RT), Ferguson(LS), Davis(DT) Ahmed(RB)

I count 7 Rookies right now that are getting a lot of minutes, in the bolded have many Starts under their belts at this point. You add in the 1 year players like Van Ginkel, Jamal Perry, Needham, Laird, Cox, Wilkins...Miami has a lot of their starting team that is young and developing. Just keep in mind as good as they look and winning is fantastic, but we still have a lot of work to do and there's lots of room for improvement. 

Is Ahmed truly a good pickup, or is the coaching staff just playing different RBs each week?  I saw they waived Jordan Howard, which should bode well for Ahmed.  But curious what will happen when Brieda comes back.  What do the Dolphin faithful think?

Breida couldn't win the job over Gaskin... It's probably an all Washington Huskie backfield Ahmed and Gaskin.  Flo's shown a propensity of playing whomever practices well and whomever has the better gameplan matchup regardless of draft position or investment... so I wouldn't expect a league winner.

Former All Pro Free Safety Jake Scott has passed away at the age of 75. 

His career was only '70-'78, he started late but he had 49 Interceptions over that span. 

2x SB Champion, 5x Pro Bowl, 2x ALL Pro

Rough last couple years for the 1972 Miami Dolphins team.

Initial thoughts... They got out coached and absolutely wrecked in the trenches, today. 
5 Denver Sacks by my count and that OL was not good, Tua was under pressure and he needs to recognize when guys aren't open that he needs to tuck it up or roll out...the 1st play at the end of the 1st game he entered, he was close to his own end zone and he rolled wide to his left and I thought that would b an interesting part of his game, ability to roll wide at times but rarely if ever does this during the games and he suddenly looks like a midget getting swallowed by the Red Sea, today it was an Orange Sea.

Hope he isn't hurt

Are Parker/Howard going to get suspended for that one?
I had not thought about it but yeah, probably will end up missing the game next week vs Chiefs, that would be icing on the cake. 

They will be 8-5 likely with or without all these guys. 

NE, LV, BUF to close, not sure the home vs away games but 9-7 could be the outcome, or they could lose 4 straight games to close the season although I believe Miami should be strong and in the game vs those last 3 teams. 

Users who are viewing this thread