What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (2 Viewers)

Craig_MiamiFL said:
TANNY!!!! 

#3 and get to face a QB (in a long list of successful Ohio State NFL QBs) 2x year for the next 5 years (if makes it through his rookie deal)  Good luck reading coverages, kid.

Good day for Phins fans.
Hardly think it's a given the Jets draft Fields or any other QB @ 2.

and Chan resigned this morning...  now let's bring in someone who'll design an offense around the QB and whatever weapons brought in.  

$25M or thereabouts roughly to spend and I have a few more roster cuts that are likely to take place. 

-Parker is due $11M but after June 1st he only counts $2.7M vs the $8.3M in dead cap he poses right now. 

-Kyle Van Noy is due about $14M next year but after June 1st only counts about $1.3M to cut him. He is worth the money but if Miami wants to stay ahead, it would be wise to not have a lot of these type of contracts. 

-Ogbah costs nothing to release but they should be extending him. 

-McCain and Rowe eat up quite a bit vs what it would cost to release them, $12M between the two of them. 

I didn't get a chance to watch a lot of their games this year, but it seemed like Tua was in the shotgun almost all the time.  Is that what you guys saw or am I off on that?

Guy his size...seems like they really need to move him around more. Like Cleveland did with Mayfield this year.  He doesn't seem to be able to read the entire field yet.  Maybe he can turn into Brees,  but I don't see it happening.  They should look at what Mayfield did after losing obj and start from there. 

I can see Parker clearly being gone. Frankly, I expect a huge change in skill positions from this past year, through both FA and draft. 
I don’t see them moving away from anyone else mentioned, but do expect them bringing in another safety for depth Fejelum didn’t show me a whole lot. 

This Watson stuff is interesting. Since he has a no trade clause he’s in the drivers seat I wonder how he’ll play it if it goes forward.  
I like Tua and am a believer that he can be special... Watson is there already. It really all depends on the cost...I certainly don’t want them to empty the cupboards. There are lots of holes that need to be addressed

Contract situation https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

OFC I haven’t watched a lot of Texans games so I’m relying on groupthink that he’s still special

Last edited by a moderator:
Todem said:
If the Dolphins can secure Deshaun Watson for:

Tua

I pull that trigger.....NOW!
Albright reported 3 - 1s, 3 - 2s, and a player.  Jeremiah saying 3 - 1s.  

all the talk is coming from the Watson / Houston camps... Since Watson has the final say, it'll be interesting as it progresses.

14 minutes ago, Todem said:
If the Dolphins can secure Deshaun Watson for:

Tua

I pull that trigger.....NOW!
Expand  
Albright reported 3 - 1s, 3 - 2s, and a player.  Jeremiah saying 3 - 1s.  

all the talk is coming from the Watson / Houston camps... Since Watson has the final say, it'll be interesting as it progresses.
I hope so. I would hate these deals.

I hope so. I would hate these deals.
Yeah I am not willing to give the farm. The 3rd overall and 25th overall plus last years #5 overall in TUA. 

That is a fair market offer. 

Take it or leave it.

Yeah I am not willing to give the farm. The 3rd overall and 25th overall plus last years #5 overall in TUA. 

That is a fair market offer. 

Take it or leave it.
I'd prefer no Clemson QB, but that type of trade could probably fetch #1 too.

Realistically, I think the best path to success is to build a wall around Tua and let him develop. The picks and cap space are there. Coaching the Senior Bowl also makes me think the brain trust wants to get the most out of the picks vs trading them.

Miami will coach in the Senior Bowl.  Always seem to come out of those weeks with some gems. 
Really love what Jim Nagy is doing running the Senior Bowl lately. Raising the profile and turning it into a bigger part of the talent evaluation cycle. Particularly important this year as all the slimmed down schedule/ OVID opt-outs gave us less examples of players against top talent.

I'd prefer no Clemson QB, but that type of trade could probably fetch #1 too.

Realistically, I think the best path to success is to build a wall around Tua and let him develop. The picks and cap space are there. Coaching the Senior Bowl also makes me think the brain trust wants to get the most out of the picks vs trading them.
I have no problem building around Tua. But for two #1’s and Tua you are getting an Elite QB who I have zero doubt can lead this team to multiple potential Super Bowls over the next 5 years. Hands down no doubt in my mind. 

However if the price is too outrageous and BTW the Dolphins are really the only team right now with real draft capital and a young promising QB they can trade back, then forget it.

If Watson really wants to be here.....Grier and Flores need to play harder ball. We are in a position of strength. The Texans are reeling and reek of desperation and a complete tear down of a team right now. 

The Dolphins can work this and get it done without giving up the farm. If not.....so be it. We can build around Tua. I have confidence we can.

Don't worry Rush brother, if I know Snyder he will give the farm to get Watson in DC (if he's willing to come of course) so you can keep all your valuable draft capitol and build around Tua. Ya'lls future is bright without question. 

Don't worry Rush brother, if I know Snyder he will give the farm to get Watson in DC (if he's willing to come of course) so you can keep all your valuable draft capitol and build around Tua. Ya'lls future is bright without question. 
How have you been man. We won the title in that 17 year local dynasty I am in. I was the 5th seed....was a hell of a run!

How have you been man. We won the title in that 17 year local dynasty I am in. I was the 5th seed....was a hell of a run!
Fantastic! You know I gave up all the snooze leagues a few years ago, but still play in 10 of them as just an owner (out of those 10 leagues made playoff in 8, the 2 I missed I had Barkley in both and just couldn't overcome the loss) I only won 1 title though, but still playing on house money ;) Hope all is well with you. Love seeing how your son has progressed on the drums!!! 

Fantastic! You know I gave up all the snooze leagues a few years ago, but still play in 10 of them as just an owner (out of those 10 leagues made playoff in 8, the 2 I missed I had Barkley in both and just couldn't overcome the loss) I only won 1 title though, but still playing on house money ;) Hope all is well with you. Love seeing how your son has progressed on the drums!!! 
I am in that one and only league. Glad to hear you are doing good!!

DeVonta Smith at 3 is enticing 
If he is there that is our guy. And if Harris is there at 18....he is our guy. If last night did not show how these two STUDS can come in right now and be impact stars in the NFL......I don’t know what more film you need. It was all on display last night.

It was evident to fans that Fitzpatrick was a much better QB than Tua in 2020. Fitzpatrick was top 5 in QBR. He made Parker relevant in 2019 & 2020. He made plays in the pocket and under pressure. The players apparently also saw that Fitz was better in practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fitzpatrick in a Patriot uniform in 2021. 

I still think Miami surrounds Tua with more talent to maximize his potential, unless Miami gets lucky and nets Watson in a trade. Barry Jackson is doing a 3-part series on Tua. The good is that Tua was close to average with a clean pocket. The bad is that he was next to worse in the league when being pressured. The ugly is that Justin Herbert, who was drafted after Tua, was the best QB under pressure, even better than Rodgers. 

Tua's first season was worse than many of the recent QBs.  Only Allen was worse than Tua as a passer, but there were no doubts about Allen as a franchise QB after his first season. 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article243962517.html?__twitter_impression=true

It was evident to fans that Fitzpatrick was a much better QB than Tua in 2020. Fitzpatrick was top 5 in QBR. He made Parker relevant in 2019 & 2020. He made plays in the pocket and under pressure. The players apparently also saw that Fitz was better in practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fitzpatrick in a Patriot uniform in 2021. 

I still think Miami surrounds Tua with more talent to maximize his potential, unless Miami gets lucky and nets Watson in a trade. Barry Jackson is doing a 3-part series on Tua. The good is that Tua was close to average with a clean pocket. The bad is that he was next to worse in the league when being pressured. The ugly is that Justin Herbert, who was drafted after Tua, was the best QB under pressure, even better than Rodgers. 

Tua's first season was worse than many of the recent QBs.  Only Allen was worse than Tua as a passer, but there were no doubts about Allen as a franchise QB after his first season. 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article243962517.html?__twitter_impression=true
I read this and then I thought of some of the other guys who started slow as QBs and how it turned out.  The main once (and the one that Tua is most often compared to) is Brees.  Brees had some issues his first year when his line was just OK and his receivers were just ok as well.  Over time, both in San Diego and New Orleans they tried to build a team around him.  San Diego then Drafted Phil Rivers and the rest we dolphin fans know all too well.

Now, Imagine if Wanny had the balls to draft Brees way back when.  He likely Plays behind Fiedler for a year or two (Fitzmagic) and then becomes the long term starter here.  Let's not get to ahead of ourselves here.

BTW, I am also fine with miami Using a later of the top 5 picks to take another QB. You need more than one in the NFL these days anyway.  Might as well have them compete (I also advocated for the PHins to Take Hurts last year even after Drafting Tua FWIW)

rumors about Bills QB coach Dorsey getting the OC job.  The recently hired QB coach Frye and Dorsey played together in Cleveland. 

Bucky Brooks had favorable feedback on the Frye hire. 

https://twitter.com/BuckyBrooks/status/1353054558314926080?s=20 

Another point on the Frye/Tua connection... Frye is one of the best teachers and communicators that I’ve been around. He is OUTSTANDING with young QBs and he simplifies the game in a way that makes it easy for them. A+ hire with Tua’s long-term development in mind..

Quote Tweet

Bucky Brooks

@BuckyBrooks

· Jan 23

Interesting nugget on this hiring. Frye was @Tua coach at @Elite11 /@TheOpening when we won the 7v7 title. He has great chemistry with him and understands how to craft plays around his skills. Don’t underestimate the value of that previous relationship and connection.

Jeremy Fowler

@JFowlerESPN

·

58m

The #Steelers are finalizing a deal with Matt Canada to become their offensive coordinator, per source. Deal is considered imminent.

I think it's fantastic that Miami is not rushing to fill their OC position. Even if some think big names have passed on us or vice versa, long story short somebody won't get hired and will go back ot being a very well thought of QB Coach, RB Coach, etc...the point is the league is loaded with talented coaches of one form or another and Flores has a certain method to his madness, I trust that he will take his time and bring in the right guy who can work with what they have, not what he feels Miami should draft 4 x inside of 50...so there are a lot of moving parts. Maybe the future OC might have to be able to work with someone not not he Phins roster at QB just yet...we really don't know from where we are sitting. It's all speculation. 

QB: Let's deal with reality and facts. The NFL Clock is ticking from the minute you take a QB in the 1st round, you also can get lucky of late in the 2nd and even 3rd round in the last 8-10 years. Once the QB is 3 years into their rookie deal, if they have had any success at all, they feel the right to get an early jump on contract negotiations and that is technically the soonest that any of them can get a big contract, Mahomes sat year 1, lit it up year 2 and 3, got paid immediately and quite hansom.  I don't think Josh Allen for arguments sake should get anywhere close to what Mahomes got, that said I expect Allen to see some type of contract extension put in front of him by Buffalo...how much? More than Watson got and maybe a 4-5 year deal but he could see a longer deal if bigger money is involved. 

The point is, I cannot imagine Tua being paid $30M+ per year 24 months from now and that's really how you gotta measure whether he will be the right fit. Part of me would like Miami to admit defeat quickly here and somehow use Tua as a trade chip with all these picks they have and upgrade the position immediately. The downside is if that involves Watson or Rodgers or anyone else that seems to be a good fit according to the Media, you are talking about $35M-$40M per year and that changes the look of the team. I would love to see another year of filling in the potholes on defense and offense as they continue to try and find an answer at QB. I'm not sure after Trevor who is the best bet at QB coming out of college. My gut says of the first 5-6 that come off the board, at least 3 will flat not make it in the NFL as a starter, maybe 1-2 gems after Lawrence, that's the sad reality of the NFL. There is only so much space for Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, plus wily vets like Roethlisberger, Tannehill, and then you have Lawrence coming in, Burrow might never be the same but he sure looked good. Baker Mayfield is really on the bottom of the AFC list and even he can chuck it around when asked, everybody is coming into battle armed and dangerous. 

I don't believe Houston will trade Watson, fellow franchise-owners have to be in this guys ear telling him to hold on to his franchise or they are going to be in a tailspin they might never come out of. 

What would you trade to move up to the No 1 pick? Jacksonville needs help everywhere and needs draft picks. 

Tua plus the 1.03 plus 1st next year and maybe our 2nd round pick? I'm asking how much flesh? 

Both 1st round picks plus Tua? Would it take more than that? I think Lawrence would be an instant hit in the NFL if he came here. The OL has already started to be rebuilt and he can make a so so bunch of talent around him at the skill spots a lot better IMHO. If Miami wants to forever change the arc of this franchise they are buy 2 picks from Trevor Lawrence, there has to be a combination to that lock box...

3 1st round picks including 1 from next year plus our 2 in this year's draft plus Tua plus a 2nd? Both 2nds? 

Is there a too much point? I think it's impossible to get a TOP 5 QB AND WATSON IMO is TOP 3 possibly at this stage. Rare blend of mobility, arm plus can read defenses and coverages, has already shown he can exploit talent at teh WR spot, would love to see him paired up with what we already have and then build around him. We won 10 with so so QB play, Watson would make this a 12-4 team easily. We could try and compete with Buffalo who is going to look different once they pay Allen. 

The $$$ is what frightens me and having to go without at some key defensive spots. 

I do like what Miami is already doing and playoffs are not my concern right now, just want to be a better core team that anyone can come in and take the controls and succeed with what we are putting in place.

What would you trade to move up to the No 1 pick? Jacksonville needs help everywhere and needs draft picks. 

Tua plus the 1.03 plus 1st next year and maybe our 2nd round pick? I'm asking how much flesh? 

Both 1st round picks plus Tua? Would it take more than that? I think Lawrence would be an instant hit in the NFL if he came here. The OL has already started to be rebuilt and he can make a so so bunch of talent around him at the skill spots a lot better IMHO. If Miami wants to forever change the arc of this franchise they are buy 2 picks from Trevor Lawrence, there has to be a combination to that lock box...

3 1st round picks including 1 from next year plus our 2 in this year's draft plus Tua plus a 2nd? Both 2nds? 

Is there a too much point? I think it's impossible to get a TOP 5 QB AND WATSON IMO is TOP 3 possibly at this stage. Rare blend of mobility, arm plus can read defenses and coverages, has already shown he can exploit talent at teh WR spot, would love to see him paired up with what we already have and then build around him. We won 10 with so so QB play, Watson would make this a 12-4 team easily. We could try and compete with Buffalo who is going to look different once they pay Allen. 

The $$$ is what frightens me and having to go without at some key defensive spots. 

I do like what Miami is already doing and playoffs are not my concern right now, just want to be a better core team that anyone can come in and take the controls and succeed with what we are putting in place.
I disagree with your assessment, mores o bc a lot of smart people outside of Miami were high on Tua. This is one of those situations where if you look at Tua as a rookie QB who was coming back from an injury, he was fine and the things he could get better at (Throwing people open, running the ball a bit more) should (should) come with time.  

If you are grading him vs. Justin Herbert, yeah, then it is time to panic bc Herbert looked like young Marino out there and Tua looked like young Brees. As I said above Brees took a little time to develop. So, sadly, did tannyhill.  Maybe Miami needs to let things evolve and support their QB instead of looking for his replacement after one year (Philbin did that to Tanny, and now "you" want to do that to Tua).

My money is on a trade down.  Pick up some extra picks for 2022, get one of the three WRs and Harris or another O linemen (Creed) and then if year 2 there is no improvement you go into 2022 with the draft capital to move up and get the next guy who everyone is crazy about.  (I also have no problem with Miami drafting someone like Trask on Day 2)

I would do the #3 and either this years other first OR next years first plus Tua for Lawrence. And I agree with Gator on Tua needing more then a year (look how bad Josh Allen looked after year one, everyone was questioning his pick). I just really love Lawrence, I think he is going to be special. I think Tua can be Brees 2.0 but it will take the exact right system and team around him. Lawrence will be a mega star IMHO.

I would do the #3 and either this years other first OR next years first plus Tua for Lawrence. And I agree with Gator on Tua needing more then a year (look how bad Josh Allen looked after year one, everyone was questioning his pick). I just really love Lawrence, I think he is going to be special. I think Tua can be Brees 2.0 but it will take the exact right system and team around him. Lawrence will be a mega star IMHO.
Jacksonville is not trading away their number 1 pick this year. And it would take at least 3 firsts, plus Tua, plus more, if they were. He's a once in 10 years QB.

Gatorman said:
I disagree with your assessment, mores o bc a lot of smart people outside of Miami were high on Tua. This is one of those situations where if you look at Tua as a rookie QB who was coming back from an injury, he was fine and the things he could get better at (Throwing people open, running the ball a bit more) should (should) come with time.  

If you are grading him vs. Justin Herbert, yeah, then it is time to panic bc Herbert looked like young Marino out there and Tua looked like young Brees. As I said above Brees took a little time to develop. So, sadly, did tannyhill.  Maybe Miami needs to let things evolve and support their QB instead of looking for his replacement after one year (Philbin did that to Tanny, and now "you" want to do that to Tua).

My money is on a trade down.  Pick up some extra picks for 2022, get one of the three WRs and Harris or another O linemen (Creed) and then if year 2 there is no improvement you go into 2022 with the draft capital to move up and get the next guy who everyone is crazy about.  (I also have no problem with Miami drafting someone like Trask on Day 2)
I have been forthright about a trade down since the get go of securing the No 3 pick, impct QBs available, they should get a King's ransom, Jax won't likely trade, jets either and that makes Miami prime for anyone wanting that HoF Left Tackle that won't really change the arc of most teams, they can find someone, anyone that wants Fields if he still available, number of QBs, then there are overpriced WRs that I hope they pass on...please don't burn high selections on prima donnas, not the make up of this team. 

I'm not sure exactly where we disagree but yeah i know we are not lined up perfect, but the main talking points think we are pretty similar. 

Mike Kafka, there's our guy. He is the QB Coach and Passing Coordinator, maybe he needs to be a full OC and KC is still playing their season so maybe Flores is just waiting to make his move. 

Total speculation on my part. 

Xavien Howard, the 1.18, 2.18 and the Miami Dolphins 2022 1st Round pick and Miami will then trade Tua for actually a 2nd or 2nd/3rd, many teams think he has talent and will want to pluck him up so they might recoup a little that way.  

Tua "not too sure" about his future in Miami

Dan Patrick show he appeared and was rather candid. Listen and draw your own conclusions. 
Miami might be taking a QB as they won`t be in that spot again.   Stafford would have been nice 3-4 year QB for Miami for the #3 overall but that was wishful on my part.

They just drafted the wrong one last year.  I know it is early in his career but Tua does not look the part of an NFL starter right now.    Looks like a low level starter or career backup type..although I have no scientific data to back that claim up.

Wide Receiver:

DeVante Parker-He is set to make approx $11M and currently costs over $8M in Dead Cap to release him, however after June 1st it is only $2.7M to part ways with Parker. You can do this or look at this several ways. 1st of all he has trade value whether folks believe it or not, I think Parker would fetch a 3rd or 4th easily by some clubs out there and if Miami waited to pull the trigger after June even though they won't see that benefit until 2022, it might be good for their long term future. Parker is due about $20M over the next 2 seasons so you can also look at it as $2.7M vs $20M, I'm not sure he is in a Phins uniform next season. If Miami were to draft a WR which i will discuss further at the end, that also could spell the end of Parker. All that said until Miami has some answers here, likely not going anywhere just yet. 

Albert Wilson-Can you believe it? he is set to earn $5M next year from the Phins and cost $2.33M to cut and I still would do it immediately. Waste of roster space and money if you ask me, leftover from Gase, total of 742 yds and 5 TDs over about 2 seasons has cost Miami $15M so far and another $5M+ next year, I just don't understand. 

Jakeem Grant-$4.6M, love what he brings to special teams, lacking in skills to be a full time WR, struggles to even be the 3rd WR at times. 600k after June 1st to release him if they choose to for cap purposes. 

Allen Hurns-$3M, it cost even more to release him currently.

Preston Williams-850k, maybe they could get Preston on a fairly inexpensive extension. 

Kirk Merritt-similar to Preston in terms of money.  

Lynn Bowden-On a rookie deal thru 2023 if you can believe it. I wasn't overly impressed but many see things in him and it's possible he could settle into a slot type R or that jack of all trades guy but I am not all the way there that he is NFL ready but the coaching staff has done wonders with others, optimistic they can get the best out of Bowden. 

Draft-A lot of daily hot take media heads want to get folks to tune in so Miami is taking all the sexie WRs because in their "Fantasy" minds they know what's best for Tua...one thing we have learned as Phins fans is not to believe the hype when it comes to Flores...meaning he does things his way. I don't see Miami going after a big time WR with money locked up in Parker already and many unheralded WRs which is what the Patriots ran or many many years when they were first winning championships, not a HoF receiver on that roster, just blue collar hard working types that never gave the team headaches with contract demands. Keep that in mind as I see a lot of people having us pick a WR high in the draft and I don't see it. Miami is on the hook to most of these guys, think they will roll with at least Parker/Wilson/Hurns/Williams/Bowden...they can cut some fo these guys but they cost as much to keep or cut like Hurns so he will be on the roster I anticipate. Not a sexie group. 

How many rookie WRs are going to make this team? Will Miami eat some of this money and part ways with a couple of them? I hope they do but dealing with the reality of how the Patriots typically ran the WRs stable especially when Brady was young, they kept guys around that wanted to help him and didn't have big egos. I expect something similar down here so don't hold your breath for Smith in Alabama is all I am saying. 

Users who are viewing this thread