Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** Official 2021 Dolphins Thread - Time to Waddle


Recommended Posts

On 4/25/2021 at 3:10 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

1.06 Devonta Smith had an amazing year, one for just about ALL Time at Alabama and despite his thinner frame, Miami has to feel like they can work him into the offense and a guy like Fuller can show him the ropes for 1 year and then go his merry way leaving Parker and Smith to run things and Miami will continue to draft WRs in future drafts to gain weapons as turkeys like Albert Wilson and the like find their way off this team. 

-This is what I think Miami is doing and who they want and the ability to trade down and collect multiple picks, burn only one to move back up to get the guy you want(Almost like a free pick) and still field offers thru Draft night in case someone wants to make a crazy offer like if Chicago says here is the 20 and the 52 and a '22 1st and a '23 1st/2nd, yeah I start thinking it might be a good deal to slide back and then target one of the WRs in the 4-7 range on Kiper's Board or any of these so called Draft experts. I'm not endorsing Smith as a good idea but Marino had this guy with 4.2/4.3 speed named Mark Duper who exploded the offense when he burst on the scene along with Marino, Tua could use a speed demon to see what he can do, Fuller is a 1-year bridge and will miss Week 1 to boot if my info is correct. 

I am focusing on Smith as their top pick, again I might not select him at 6 but I feel like Miami will take him if given the opportunity, hopefully this is not Teddy Ginn Jr all over again 😆.  I know he's way more talented, Smith of course. 

 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:28 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

1.18 Kwitty Paye may or may not be a household name to some of you but he checks most of te boxes for something we need in the front 7 plus Ogbah is not signed past this season, they need someone who can play EDGE but also line up at DE in a base 3-4 at times, think Paye can do both but he is not a tweener. In fact he weighs north of 260 if my numbers are correct. There are other guys Miami can look at here, 2 played down the bock from the Phins at the Univ of Miami but one of them did not play at all in 2020 and the other retired due to concussions before transferring to Miami and have a great season last year. I like Oweh from Penn State but cannot understand how the guy had zero sacks...he does bring the heat though and causes a lot of disruption. If Micah drops this far due to recent reports surfacing it's always possible will try to grab him. 

Fan base would like Najee Harris in this spot and I will understand when his name is called but Miami 1st round RBs in the last 30-35 years have not done very well. 

 

2.36 Javonte Williams because Miami has to know they need some pop in the back field to help out Tua. Some of that is on the OL which I am about to get to. I like Williams, good size, would add plenty to the junk we have pieced together back there. Let's not pretend Myles Gaskin is really blazing a trail thru the NFL, Mark Higgs had better moves back in the day. Williams weighs in a pretty stout 225 at only 5-10, I think he can do a lot of things for our offense. 

 

2.50 Quinn Meinerz as I mentioned earlier attended the same college, Wisconsin-Whitewater as our OC Studesville. That connection might be all the Phins need to take the plunge and draft this guy who can play both Guard or Center and blew a lot of coaches and scouts away at the Senior Bowl where he got an invite even though he couldn't play in 2020, Whitewater canceled their season. 

3 on Offense, WR-RB-IOL and then EDGE/Front-7, something along those lines is what i expect in the first 2 rounds tomorrow and Friday. 

Miami did take a WR, not the one I would have preferred and a lot of other fans out there but they did in theory do exactly what we thought they would do and they paid a lot to move back up and take Waddle vs maybe staying at 12 and they could have actually taken an Edge guy at 12 like Philips and come back and gotten a different WR at 18 or it looks like 36 is another prime spot they could have added a quality WR without such a large investment. Waddle cost us an extra 1st round pick, try and remember that and also we traded OUR 1st round pick in 2022, Miami has a losing record for some reason and it is going to be even more painful just like what we did to Houston last couple years. 

I hope Waddle takes the league by storm but I have major doubts he will cause much of a stir in '21, hope I'm wrong. 

At 1.16, Miami did exactly what I thought they would do out of PURE NEED, let's not forget that Miami almost had to take an Edge/rush type last night. 

-I no longer see Miami going RB at 36 pick but I won't be upset if they bring in some help at RB. An OL/RB combo in the 2nd would enhance the No 6 pick from last night, can we agree on that in here? 

Trevon Moerhig is a guy I would like to see Miami get and I have been on that guy's train since well before the Draft. 

I'm still on the Meinerz train and I'm fine wherever they can get him. I also would not put it past Miami to go F7 Again, that could mean even a guy like Christian Barmore which would be a boring pick but would really strengthen us up inside with Raekwon Davis, Baker behind the two of them, we're not gonna get run on as easily. You can't throw to Howard's side of the field, it limits what opposing offenses can do to us even though it's just a boring DT from Alabama that won't even be out there on 2nd and long or 3rd down passing situations but again he would complete the DL and with Philips on the Edge, this would give Miami the desired F7 jolt I felt they needed coming int he Draft. Philips has a chance to be the next Jason Taylor or Cameron Wake and I am excited about him, will definitely be ordering his jersey as a U of M alum I am thrilled for him.

Nick Bolton is another guy I would like to have on this roster even if it doesn't seem like an immediate need, we do need some LBs to come out of these drafts, they got lucky on Van Ginkel and we will see what he does in Year 3 with a lot more responsibility but he was a playmaker for us and has surprised most as a 5th round pick. Baker is in Year 4 of his rookie deal, do we extend? 

Jevon Holland, FS Oregon I like this guy a lot and would be fine if they went Javonte Williams at 36 and come back and take Holland at 50.  

I can also see Miami doing something like IOL/RB in some order in the 2nd and then take YES another OL, maybe a true Center with the 81 pick and feel good that they have invested 5-6 picks into the OL over the last 2-3 Drafts, they are trying to fix this problem, and it should be better in '21 and allow Tua to set up and hit all of his weapons he now has. Fuller and Waddle this past off season to expand his options. Parker should now be open ALL the TIME with these two speedsters coming on to the team. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have watched every bama game for many years.  Tua is the man.  You guys are gonna love him

Sewell upgrades the offense more for 2021 than would Chase or Smith. I'm not sold on LT Austin Jackson, and Sewell would also upgrade either guard position. PFF has the Miami oline ranked 28 last year

No dog in the fight as I have no love or hate for Miami, but you guys are killing this draft. Congratulations. 

I hate their 18th pick. We drafted a "DJ" guys. Mentally weak player. I simply see bust written all over him because I have serious doubts of what is between the ears and behind this kids chest. The moment a coach goes ballistic on him for not working hard enough he will curl up in the fetal position and say he wants to become a DJ on south beach at the Clevlander on Ocean Drive. 

They took the wrong DE from UM.....big time. You could have traded down and taken Rousseau. Or take the real studs like Kwity Paye or Oweh who are more accomplished and head strong. I simply despise this ****ing pick.....and I am Canes guy. Damn they blew it IMO. Hope I am totally wrong. But this kid was suspended for two games for being lazy. And he takes Rousseau’s number last year!!!! DOOSH!!!!

As far as Waddle. I like the pick a lot. He is a HR hitter and to me can easily be a future superstar in this league. A playmaker, a difference maker. This team lacks that. 

We absolutely need to draft Javonte Williams with our 36th pick. A MUST PICK.

Tua needs weapons. He needs a potential 3 down back who can take over game. Williams is that kind of back. Think Kareem Hunt. That kind of player.

Now you have:

Tua

Williams

Waddle

Parker

Williams

Gesicki 

Fuller

Now we are talking weapons, and match up problems everywhere. Give our QB real weapons. I liked our OL progress last season. We can take a Center with our 50th pick. 

But IMO they blew the 18th pick.....man so many other better options there and they went for the HR on a kid who IMO is a total head case. 

Edited by Todem
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I follow the OL logic. I just think Waddle is an alpha. He's a different type of alpha than Chase, but he still is one. You guys didn't have one before and now you do. Like the Bengals, I think you'll address the iOL today. If you don't then get those pitch forks in-hand.

I'm glad you brought up Cinci, when did Tee Higgins become chop liver? I wouldn't assume Chase is going to have the best stats at WR the next couple years. maybe Higgins looking so good had something to do with the young man under Center. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I'm glad you brought up Cinci, when did Tee Higgins become chop liver? I wouldn't assume Chase is going to have the best stats at WR the next couple years. maybe Higgins looking so good had something to do with the young man under Center. 

I love Tee Higgins.....but now they have Chase, Higgins and Boyd. That is stout. Add in Mixon.....they have an offense.

Dolphins need to take notes and select Javonte Williams next.....big time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Probably, but I think they traded to this spot because they were always comfortable with one of the 3.

The Bottom Line is they moved back from 3 to 6, lost their 1st in '22 but gained 2 First from SF...those might be in the last part of the 1st round but there is always good value there. Most don't think San Fran will be picking high in the coming years, but you bet Miami will be rooting hard AGAINST the Niners the next couple years, we have to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Todem said:

I love Tee Higgins.....but now they have Chase, Higgins and Boyd. That is stout. Add in Mixon.....they have an offense.

Dolphins need to take notes and select Javonte Williams next.....big time.

Cincy needs to address the OL even more than the Dolphins though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Cincy needs to address the OL even more than the Dolphins though.

Agreed. But they took a potential stud in Chase to pair up with their franchise QB. I don’t disagree with that pick at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I'm glad you brought up Cinci, when did Tee Higgins become chop liver? I wouldn't assume Chase is going to have the best stats at WR the next couple years. maybe Higgins looking so good had something to do with the young man under Center. 

Probably a better subject for another thread, but I don't agree with anyone who thinks the Chase add is a bad thing for Tee. Much like with Miami and protecting Tua, they must be right about what they're doing to protect Burrow but if they are then the tools are there for an aerial assault.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bengals were in a classic “good problem to have” situation. They didn’t necessarily need Chase, and Sewell would probably have been the wiser pick. Man does that offense have lethal possibilities now though. Their front office will get massive scrutiny if Burrow goes down again however. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted Sewell

Both players Miami drafted fill glaring needs for the team - just hope they can stay healthy.

Want one of the Top 3 Centers today - Creed works and should start Week 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Todem said:

I hate their 18th pick. We drafted a "DJ" guys. Mentally weak player. I simply see bust written all over him because I have serious doubts of what is between the ears and behind this kids chest. The moment a coach goes ballistic on him for not working hard enough he will curl up in the fetal position and say he wants to become a DJ on south beach at the Clevlander on Ocean Drive. 

They took the wrong DE from UM.....big time. You could have traded down and taken Rousseau. Or take the real studs like Kwity Paye or Oweh who are more accomplished and head strong. I simply despise this ****ing pick.....and I am Canes guy. Damn they blew it IMO. Hope I am totally wrong. But this kid was suspended for two games for being lazy. And he takes Rousseau’s number last year!!!! DOOSH!!!!

As far as Waddle. I like the pick a lot. He is a HR hitter and to me can easily be a future superstar in this league. A playmaker, a difference maker. This team lacks that. 

We absolutely need to draft Javonte Williams with our 36th pick. A MUST PICK.

Tua needs weapons. He needs a potential 3 down back who can take over game. Williams is that kind of back. Think Kareem Hunt. That kind of player.

Now you have:

Tua

Williams

Waddle

Parker

Williams

Gesicki 

Fuller

Now we are talking weapons, and match up problems everywhere. Give our QB real weapons. I liked our OL progress last season. We can take a Center with our 50th pick. 

But IMO they blew the 18th pick.....man so many other better options there and they went for the HR on a kid who IMO is a total head case. 

I posted about my reservations with both Miami DEs prior to the Draft, likely my love of the University clouds some of my judgement which is why I was pretty cautious about liking them. Greg opted out in 2020 and in 2019 he had a lot of sacks but many of them came over the interior of the OL, not the edges like Phillips does when he comes flying around the corner but I understand why you feel that way and would not try and convince you otherwise. I am more concerned about his concussion retirement but those I know within the University say there is more to it and that he was not really loving his experience there which added to him wanting to transfer. He was one of the highest recruit coming out of high school and was offered 20 different scholarships, he stayed in State, California. 

He did stop his Sophomore year due to a concussion but he also was hit by a car while on a moped which is part of this concussion stuff. He was enrolled at LACC(I also transferred to Miami from the same school in Los Angeles, no joke) and he enrolled at the Frost School of Music which is one of the very best, guy is a passionate musician. Rousseau opts out and the spotlight turns to Phillips. 

Waddle/Smith

Philips/Rousseau 

The debate rages on :thumbup:  good to see you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, =Smackdown= said:

Wanted Sewell

Both players Miami drafted fill glaring needs for the team - just hope they can stay healthy.

Want one of the Top 3 Centers today - Creed works and should start Week 1.

One of my keys to a bad franchise year in and year out is drafting out of pure need. It pigeon holes you and you pass on real talent at other positions because you absolutely MUST field Player X and this position. 

Another one that always blows my mind is watching a guy walk out in free agency Year 4, Year 5 and then going into the Draft and using a 1st or 2nd to replace them...you didn't get better, all you did was fill a plug or a hole. It's the difference between those who win or make Playoff runs and those that seem to always be drafting to fill glaring needs. Glaring holes are not the hallmark of winning franchises and Miami has been a far cry from it for the better part of the last 2 decades. 

-Prefer Dickerson or Meinerz but your point about an IOL is a good point. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I posted about my reservations with both Miami DEs prior to the Draft, likely my love of the University clouds some of my judgement which is why I was pretty cautious about liking them. Greg opted out in 2020 and in 2019 he had a lot of sacks but many of them came over the interior of the OL, not the edges like Phillips does when he comes flying around the corner but I understand why you feel that way and would not try and convince you otherwise. I am more concerned about his concussion retirement but those I know within the University say there is more to it and that he was not really loving his experience there which added to him wanting to transfer. He was one of the highest recruit coming out of high school and was offered 20 different scholarships, he stayed in State, California. 

He did stop his Sophomore year due to a concussion but he also was hit by a car while on a moped which is part of this concussion stuff. He was enrolled at LACC(I also transferred to Miami from the same school in Los Angeles, no joke) and he enrolled at the Frost School of Music which is one of the very best, guy is a passionate musician. Rousseau opts out and the spotlight turns to Phillips. 

Waddle/Smith

Philips/Rousseau 

The debate rages on :thumbup:  good to see you.

I am a huge Smith fan and love his grit, heart and smooth hands and route running. And I always root for smaller guys....but he is a tooth pick and can easily get destroyed by an NFL Safety. That really worries me about him. Waddle is compact, thick and a blur on the field. His agility and change of direction is rare air. We got a stud IMO.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ministry of Pain said:

One of my keys to a bad franchise year in and year out is drafting out of pure need. It pigeon holes you and you pass on real talent at other positions because you absolutely MUST field Player X and this position. 

Absolutely true. My philosophy in the first round is to draft the BPA at a premium position. Miami just happens to need players at premium positions. This is contrary to the Wilkins or James where they drafted needed, non-premium positions (and reached on James). I think Miami has done that the last two years (although BPA is always in the eye of the beholder) by drafting QB-LT-CB/WR-DE. These are the 5 most important positions on a roster.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Miami has so many good players in their wheelhouse for 36 I almost hope they don’t take Williams. 
 

as for the picks last night. I warmed to waddle before we drafted him and still think he was a great pick. Now, there are always things that happen in a live draft that you just don’t see happen in mocks so miami could have likely stayed at 12 and done the same thing he eagles did last night and gotten smith. Tomato, tomAto.

not a fan of the pick at 18 bc I don’t like the player and all the stuff surrounding him in terms of want. I maybe less knowledgeable about his saga and perhaps it pushed him down the board precisely bc of it and he’s a value, r he is just another injured cane the dolphins decided to draft. Hopefully, he does what most cane picks do now a days and outproduces his college tape. Plenty of good pass rushers still out there so from a “game theory” perspective grabbing Harris may have been the better investment 

36/50/81. Sooooo many good guys at 36. Lots of value dropped into the second round. Agree with most that if they like Carter about the same as Williams (or some other back later) then load up at line and safety and kick the rb can down the road. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TripleThreat said:

where can I read on this? 

I was wrong...was thinking of a different player. My bad.

Look, I pray he becomes a force. He was dominant in 2020 so we have hope. I just hope he has the heart and the mental strength. The physical part is not questioned at all.

Edited by Todem
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gatorman said:

he is just another injured cane the dolphins decided to draft. 

I cut that a bit but OOF! 

I hope Phillips makes believers of you all, just as I hope Waddle makes me fall in love with him come Sept/Oct but I cannot disagree with the reasons you have for not being thrilled with the initial pick. He's got a shot to do some of the things Watt is doing in Pittsburgh, not JJ in Arizona, that's a completely different beast when he was in his prime but Philips has a chance to be one of the better ones in the NFL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Laverneus Coles announcing Elijah Moore as the WR for the Jets at No 34

😪

I wanted to root for that kid, now I have to hope we take him out...of the gameplan of course. 

Bummer, he's going to be a nightmare like Wes Welker, Al Toon and Santana Moss. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TripleThreat said:

Holland... nice. 

I only know what I have read on here and a few other spots, but I thought Moering was the premiere safety in this draft.  How we feeling about Holland?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TripleThreat said:

Holland... nice. 

Agree and i would have taken Moerhig but I understand these guys get paid a lot to know more than I do. Holland was another I highlighted earlier today and will not shed a tear. I also pointed out the need to get these Safeties out the door and I see Jones and Holland being our new tandem at Safety, Holland is a Free Safety so that would push Rowe out the door sooner or later. 

Miami can save up to $12M in cap space parting with their current Safety tandem of Rowe and McCain. 

Philly takes a Center right behind us and a couple players go right in front of us that many in here would have liked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

I only know what I have read on here and a few other spots, but I thought Moering was the premiere safety in this draft.  How we feeling about Holland?

Moerhig had a Middle 1st Round grade on several sites but Holland was a solid 2nd Round grade with many feeling he was total value wherever teams could grab him. Miami must have felt he was superior to Moerhig and Richie Grant I might add. 

Still think Meinerz is in play at No 50 and it is interesting Denver jumped right in front of us. 

I think Miami might take a RB in the 5th, somebody from one of the lower tiers like Hill from Miss St. If the position was a real concern they would have made a move already. They also know that some RBs might want out...Mel Gordon would be pretty open to a trade right now. Denver might want to recoup some of what they spent to acquire Williams. 

Phins have a chance to keep filling holes or creating cap space for '22 off season, the last year they have Tua at a reduced salary so they can load up for a deep Playoff run :unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

I only know what I have read on here and a few other spots, but I thought Moering was the premiere safety in this draft.  How we feeling about Holland?

Holland has a lot of versatility, which is something Flores prizes (see why Minkah wanted to leave)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Eichenberg...and they needed to trade up to get this guy?

He was #52 Prospect on PFF, this is about the right area but I just don't understand the rush to move up and don't know exactly what they gave up to get him just yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ministry of Pain said:

Liam Eichenberg...and they needed to trade up to get this guy?

He was #52 Prospect on PFF, this is about the right area but I just don't understand the rush to move up and don't know exactly what they gave up to get him just yet. 

They gave up a 3rd next year.  Steep.  They must REALLY like the guy.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, =Smackdown= said:

There’s our starting RT.

 

 

2 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Really doubt he plays tackle.

From PFF "Eichenberg may be seen as a guard in the NFL, given the short 32 3/8-inch arms, but he has played left tackle for Notre Dame for the past three seasons."

I see this as Flowers replacement which again doesn't really make us better in 2021, if anything it will take him a year to learn LG. 

Robert Hunt is our Right Tackle and Jackson the Left Tackle, think we need to accept that for now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He would get absolutely destroyed at tackle and doesn’t seem like he would be much better at guard. 
 

should have taken Sewell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

 

From PFF "Eichenberg may be seen as a guard in the NFL, given the short 32 3/8-inch arms, but he has played left tackle for Notre Dame for the past three seasons."

I see this as Flowers replacement which again doesn't really make us better in 2021, if anything it will take him a year to learn LG. 

Robert Hunt is our Right Tackle and Jackson the Left Tackle, think we need to accept that for now. 

I've accepted that one for a while. Haven't several ND tackles kicked inside in the NFL successfully? I don't think a tackle learning how to play guard is a very big deal :shrug:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

How do you know this is what happened???

Great question, I do not know that but Williams was mocked to Miami at 36 on so many sites that is seems obvious Denver jumped in front of a team that had a need at RB and might have taken him at 36. 

Moerhig had a 1st round grade, Holland was somewhere in the 50-75 range of prospects on most sites, all 3 ended up going within about 5-10 picks when you add in Grant and Holland who Miami ended up choosing. 

The Dolphins pass on Smith for Waddle, could have had Pitts or Chase had they stayed at 3. Miami takes a DE with a lot of questions about whether he is one concussion from retirement. They are going to have a lot to own up to if they squander these picks and the guys right in front and behind go on and do well in the NFL. 

What you got?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SwampDawg said:

Why has no one taken the LB from Norte Dame yet? Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

This is interesting, still like Miami taking a much needed OL that has already said he will play whatever position they desire of him. He adds flexibility because he might be the LG as a Rookie, then he might shift out to one of the Tackle spots at some point if needed. If an injury arises he can also shift around. Miami will have 4 guys, 5 if you count Dieter on Rookie contracts, 4 of them likely starting as a Rookie or Year 2...

Oh yeah and we added a ####load of speed in the offseason so if by chance they can block for a second and let Tua get some air under it, he is going to find some guys down field and change the field position throughout the game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...