What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (5 Viewers)

no sad about Bell.  It's early, especially when you take into consideration there was no preseason... I imagine Brieda will show more 

Zach Sieler lives in an RV and he's my new hero. I'm finding many on this team, a total blue collar bring your lunch pail to work type of guy. He filled in for Shaq Lawson and boy did he ever. Miami is starting to find a pass rush and I expect them to zero in on Flacco a few times this weekend, wouldn't surprise me if Miami forced a few turnovers with their defense. 

Dolphin things to be thankful for today . . .

Gase not our HC

Finally building an Oline

Use all our picks in the next draft and continue to build the lines.

Tua time next year.

The last time the Dolphins shut out the Jets was the Mud Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Tua is about to enter the game, He was studying his wrist charts and is going over things with Fitz who looks to be giving him instructions. 

Lot of things were terrible today and the score is not reflective of some things Miami needs to work on,. 

-Gaskin was great, run blocking getting better. 

-Parker had a rough game, Gesicki doesn't get enough targets and they need him to open up the offense. 

-Miami is now 3-3...

Pitt 5-0

KC 4-1

TEN 4-1

BUF 4-1

Balt 5-1

CLE 4-2

LVR 3-2...7th Spot

Miami 3-3

Colts 3-3

Patriots 2-3

Lot of things were terrible today and the score is not reflective of some things Miami needs to work on,. 

-Gaskin was great, run blocking getting better. 

-Parker had a rough game, Gesicki doesn't get enough targets and they need him to open up the offense. 

-Miami is now 3-3...

Pitt 5-0

KC 4-1

TEN 4-1

BUF 4-1

Balt 5-1

CLE 4-2

LVR 3-2...7th Spot

Miami 3-3

Colts 3-3

Patriots 2-3
At first I thought that was the schedule for the Fins and I was about to play taps...

What a moment seeing Tua take the field today. Also great to shut out the hated Jets. The defense is playing well but, like MOP said, the offense is going to have to play better.

Buff Pitt TN and KC Div leaders

Balt and Cleveland have 4 and 5 wins each. 

3 Wildcards look like this added to the Division winners; Baltimore 5-1, Cleveland 4-2, Indy 4-2

No 8 and beyond at the moment. 

LVR 3-2, Miami 3-3, Denver 2-3, New England 2-3...

Ogbah has 5 sacks now in 6 games, last year he only started 4 games for the Chiefs, played in more than that but totaled 5.5 sacks for the season, he is a shoe in to break that total. 

$7.5M this year, money well spent so far. The team now has 17 sacks and is on track to record between 45-50 for the season. Fitz has only been sacked 10 times in 6 games. 

2019 Sacks given 58, Sacks taken 23

2018 52:31

2017 33:30

2016 30:33, last time we had more sacks than allowed, went 10-6 and made the playoffs, seems like a long long long time ago. 

2015, 2014, 2013 all gave up more sacks than we recorded on defense. Miami did manage 42 sacks in 2013...

The point is Miami hasn't had a good pass rush in a long time despite Cam Wake's best efforts, the rest of the front 7 around him was mostly hot garbage. 

Hope Miami can continue this trend in 2020, Flores difference on this Defense is starting to show itself. 

Miami Defense in 2021, many of these pieces are here to stay for a bit while we benefit from our QB on a rookie contract thru 2022 at least. 

Ogbah-Raekwon Davis-Wilkins...that will be the starting rotation likely on the DL plus several others we are discovering like Sieler and Shaq Lawson is kind of an OLB in this 3-4 but he also is a DE on pass situations it would seem. But that is likely the DL and I see Ogbah being retained, Miami has a $7.5m option next year or they can release Ogbah and no cap hit, I hope they keep him, can't imagine they wouldn't but you start to ask if a longer deal should be discussed but it's still early. Godchaux I've mentioned is likely gone after this season so I would liek to see Miami perhaps be a trade partner with someone for Davon, if he walks and is signed to a significant contract then I believe Miami will recoup a Compensatory Pick which new England is notorious for doing, something Miami has learned from Flores since he got here. 

I'll break this up into a couple posts, LB and Secondary to follow in a bit. I know Miami will continue to look for playmakers on defense but they have a few already and the DL is starting to take shape, that's a new thing down here. 

Miami Defense in 2021, many of these pieces are here to stay for a bit while we benefit from our QB on a rookie contract thru 2022 at least. 

Ogbah-Raekwon Davis-Wilkins...that will be the starting rotation likely on the DL plus several others we are discovering like Sieler and Shaq Lawson is kind of an OLB in this 3-4 but he also is a DE on pass situations it would seem. But that is likely the DL and I see Ogbah being retained, Miami has a $7.5m option next year or they can release Ogbah and no cap hit, I hope they keep him, can't imagine they wouldn't but you start to ask if a longer deal should be discussed but it's still early. Godchaux I've mentioned is likely gone after this season so I would liek to see Miami perhaps be a trade partner with someone for Davon, if he walks and is signed to a significant contract then I believe Miami will recoup a Compensatory Pick which new England is notorious for doing, something Miami has learned from Flores since he got here. 

I'll break this up into a couple posts, LB and Secondary to follow in a bit. I know Miami will continue to look for playmakers on defense but they have a few already and the DL is starting to take shape, that's a new thing down here. 
Ogbah is really the one worth retaining. Need to upgrade the interior of this line because it is still far too soft against the run.

Ogbah is really the one worth retaining. Need to upgrade the interior of this line because it is still far too soft against the run.
Excellent observation. Yes and that's why I write this stuff out so I can get feedback. Davis was drafted this season, my thinking was he could be better by next year and then perhaps we draft another DL to play Nose Tackle. In this 3-4, you really don't have to carry as many guys at DT, WIlkins is about 300 and I think in college played DT and he starts at DE for us. 

Miami will have about $45M to perhaps $50M+ to play with this off season by my count. Maybe DLine is an area they can sign one more playmaker type to go with another solid in the Draft. I don't think they should offer an extension to Godchaux. 

Desert_Power said:
What a moment seeing Tua take the field today. Also great to shut out the hated Jets. The defense is playing well but, like MOP said, the offense is going to have to play better.
Saw a tweet of him sitting alone on the 30 yard line, long after the teams both went in. Just laying there taking it in. Meant a lot to him getting on the field.

Excellent observation. Yes and that's why I write this stuff out so I can get feedback. Davis was drafted this season, my thinking was he could be better by next year and then perhaps we draft another DL to play Nose Tackle. In this 3-4, you really don't have to carry as many guys at DT, WIlkins is about 300 and I think in college played DT and he starts at DE for us. 

Miami will have about $45M to perhaps $50M+ to play with this off season by my count. Maybe DLine is an area they can sign one more playmaker type to go with another solid in the Draft. I don't think they should offer an extension to Godchaux. 
You never know what someone like Davis could do with a full offseason and I think Zach Sieler has shown well inside.

Wanted to throw out a name that has Fallen from Grace lately it would seem and I think would compliment the defense and while I wanted to do the linebackers next, maybe it's time to focus on the Secondary for a minute. 

Earl Thomas-just keep that name on the pad of paper we are working off of and I'll circle back to him. 

Cornerbacks: Byron Jones and Xavien Howard are on board for the next few years unless something weird happens. Miami still drafted a DB and I think they will add another next year, just how it goes and you never have enough of them. Igbinoghene will be the slot DB alongside both of them. You can take it to the bank in '21 and '22 this is what Miami is going with. Hoping injuries don't harpoon this because they have a lot of money tied up in Jones and Howard. They opted to fast track a bit in the Secondary which is partly where I am going to go when I get around to Thomas. Both Perry and Needham have seen work in the Nickel and DIme packages, they both are ERFA and could come back next season but they are not the bread and butter of this Secondary although I find both players are pretty solid and help round out this group. Both can be replaced as well. 

Safeties: Clayton Fejedelem 3yr/$8.5M and he's been hurt for a few weeks, had a nice play on a fake punt but in general I don't see where he fits in on the defense just yet. Next season he is set to make $3M, $1M cap hit to cut him, I guess he doesn't cost a fortune to keep around but he also doesn't seem likely to see a lot of snaps. Maybe as the season unfolds we will see more of him. Eric Rowe is our Strong Safety and he is on the books thru 2022 but Miami can move on from him if they want with not a whole lot of heavy cap hit vs his $4.5M salary he is set to make each of the next two seasons. And if he does pan out or become a bigger factor on this defense he is going to want an extension at some point. I like Rowe in general but I am not sure he is a "Safety" and can really be the guy to intimidate or enforce some bigger hits that make receivers think twice. 

The next guy is Free Safety: Bobby McCain is being paid like he is the Free Safety for the next couple of seasons, set to make $6.5M in '21 and $7M in '22 and I just feel like Miami can do a little better here. Even if they brought in a more prolific Safety and promote Brandon Jones a rookie and not to be confused with Byron Jones but Brandon is from Texas and looks pretty decent so far, I can see him developing into a potential Starter down the road. 

Earl Thomas since 2014 has earned about $75+Million including a whopping $32M from Baltimore including $22M alone in 2019...but he is walking the streets. Now I understand Mr Thomas has been with Seattle and Baltimore and would probably turn his nose up at first glance until you sit down with him and explain the plan. His addition to our Secondary paired with Howard and Byron Jones would make a lethal Threesome in the Secondary and could propel this team into the faster lane let's say as Tua takes the offense to a whole new level(I'm projecting here). Remind Thomas of a young Seattle team where he started a decade ago and how they came about in 2012 and 2013, he was a major part of that and could help these guys evolve into a new juggernaut but the reality is Thomas doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself at the moment or more recently. 

Maybe he has had some time to second think this because it's possible the playoff contenders don't want to bring in his baggage right now. I don't have all the insight into this situation but I think a guy like Thomas could be had for something affordable. Miami is $17M under the Cap right now, that guy could be had for under the usual $10M a season he makes. I would like to see Miami explore ways to get a guy like that here, we lost Mikah to the Steelers, would be nice to get a big hitting Safety that can make plays back into the cuts here. I like Rowe and McCain but feel Miami needs an upgrade in the back end of their Defense. 

@AdamSchefter

Dolphins have a bye this week. When they rerun the next week for a home game against the Rams, Tua Tagovailoa will be their starting QB

Hard to understand this. Fitz hasn't even closely reached his usual expiration point of needing to be replaced. 
2 possible explanations:

The bye week has always been the target date for Tua

or

Dallas is trading for Fitzpatrick after Dalton looked incompetent.

I'm betting the former, but wouldn't be shocked by the latter.

Bizarre.

We're a game out of first in the division and Fitzmagic is playing great.

I don't see a problem with Tua getting a redshirt year until/unless we're out of contention, especially coming off the major injury.

2 possible explanations:

or

As for the former, that might have been the plan but this team looks on the rise and maybe could get to the playoffs.

Hadn't thought of the latter, but I wouldn't rule it out. 

2 possible explanations:

or

The latter is the only thing that makes sense. Unless Tua has been tearing it up in camp, which wasn't the case early on. Fitzpatrick with Dallas would be exciting. Plus, we probably wouldn't sign him in 2021, as he's worth too much. Now is the time to get value.

The latter is the only thing that makes sense. Unless Tua has been tearing it up in camp, which wasn't the case early on. Fitzpatrick with Dallas would be exciting. Plus, we probably wouldn't sign him in 2021, as he's worth too much. Now is the time to get value.
I can't picture for a second Fitz being a Jerry kind of player. Stranger things have happened tho 

Desert_Power said:
The best part of seeing Tua come on was seeing Fitz laughing and waving his towel and leading the crowd in cheering for Tua.

Fitzpatrick is my role model for how to live life.

I'm sure he's deeply disappointed to lose the starting job, but I am also sure he is taking it for the team and is OK.

But like everyone else, I am deeply puzzled by the timing of this switch. It's not like we saw enough on Sunday to say he's NFL-ready lol.

Listening to local and national radio, the take is that the bye week was always the week for Tua, if he was ready. And too late for Fitzpatrick to take the reins in Dallas. Fitzpatrick has value as a mentor to Tua.

Listening to local and national radio, the take is that the bye week was always the week for Tua, if he was ready. And too late for Fitzpatrick to take the reins in Dallas. Fitzpatrick has value as a mentor to Tua.
Not going to question Flores given the job he's done, but one would think that he would deviate from the original plan if the team is clicking. All that said, we don't see what goes on in practice.

I get why now for Tua.  Fitz did nothing bench worthy but I get it.  I don't see Miami trading Fitz or him agreeing to a trade.. his wife and 432 kids still live in Tampa he won't wanna leave them.  

I'm excited for Tua but Fitz has been my absolute favorite QB to watch play 

I can't picture for a second Fitz being a Jerry kind of player. Stranger things have happened tho 
I wouldn’t have thought this was a possibility either before last night. Dalton was brutal though. Like, first time playing football brutal. Dallas has the weapons to win obviously, and the division is one of the worst in recent memory. I can see them kicking the tires on Fitz. 

Let's go thru this step by step and how we got here...

-First of all, Miami originally had a bye week between like Weeks 10 and 11 where they played the Jets B2B with a bye week in between, that was a perfect time to play Tua on the schedle but that got moved around due to Covid so the time frame might have been forced to move up. 

-Despite my skepticism when they drafted Tua, I'm as excited for him as any of the Miami fans but we've been jaded for so long that you can't really let yourself go or get caught up in TuaMania but we are getting there. I just realized something...Tua...Tuna...Tua...Tuna...Dolphins, fish, this some how all works. 

-The OL was really bad the first month fo the season and they are starting to look competent. I made a big deal out of Austin Jackson going on IR and how it's actually helped us improve the OL play with Hunt a rookie at RT-Tua's Blind Side and we have a rookie RG-Kindley so the Kind/Hunt Club is going to be Tua's blind side, both rookie Offensive Lineman, get your rosary beads out gentlemen. Honestly the OL is playing better and the running game is starting to click better, good time for Tua to assume the controls. 

-Head Coach Brian Flores(I was just going to type "Miami" but it's time to give this man a little respect) can use Fitz like Don Shula used Don Strock and Earl Morral. Strock was instrumental during the Marino takeover and also in the early 80s when we had a young David Woodley(RIP) leading the team to a Super Bowl of all things. I would like to see Ryan Fitzpatrick retained. It makes sense and he will see the field again in a Miami uniform, I believe that because Tua will need occasions where he is struggling and just needs to see Ryan go out there and calm things down for a bit.

-What happens if Tua is injured? With Fitz you have a real plan that you can implement and continue to make a push towards the Playoffs. 

-Los Angeles Rams  Game 1 Start for Tua? I like it, why not see what he can do, Fitz can come back into the game any time if Miami looks like they could win but need a little push. Try and remember that RedZone interception Fitz threw last week up 21-0, I'm sure it was a gentle reminder of what he is capable of doing if you allow him a little too much room to roam out there. I am totally comfortable with him coming off the bench, again I would extend Fitz for decent money 1-2 more seasons until Tua is in full command of the offense. Ryan can start working on his coaching resume and Tua is his first assignment or pupil. I expect him to go QB Coach for 1-2 years and then either leap to head Coach or become an OC quickly.  Fitz is a wealthy man by all accounts now but he can still make a fortune coaching for the next 10-15 years if he wants to. 

Phinsfans, I am getting excited, I think there is a lot to be happy about and we should thank Coach Flores for taking 6 weeks as a PreSeason of sorts getting the team ready for Tua to come in and have a chance for success. I think Tua can be successful almost immediately but he is going to have to show he can throw down the field accurately so defenses don't pinch up which I think they will initially. 

Kyler Murray was 9 for 24 last night...Tua is a totally different QB IMO but I have a feeling they will be compared a lot. How do you compare Tua to a 6 foot 6 Justin Herbert?

Cheers!

I get why now for Tua.  Fitz did nothing bench worthy but I get it.  I don't see Miami trading Fitz or him agreeing to a trade.. his wife and 432 kids still live in Tampa he won't wanna leave them.  

I'm excited for Tua but Fitz has been my absolute favorite QB to watch play 
And this is exactly why I think Fitz will want to be the back up in Miami for...I was trying to find a number that would work, is $5M for 1 year enough money to keep him interested in the Phins, keep his family safe close by, it's a 45 minute plan ride to Tampa, Stephen Ross can loan him his plane since he doesn't do anything else constructive over there. 

I want Fitz here, even with Tua starting and maybe especially with a young QB who will need guidance. 

The way Fitz was cheering Tua on I would imagine he knew about the post-bye move to Tua plan ahead of time as well.
I felt the same exact way looking back. 

Fitz knew he wasn't starting any more football games in Hard Rock if things go according to plan. Almost brings a tear to your eye. 

I'm really liking what the Dolphins are doing. They proved that last year when Flores had that team playing hard all year.

side bar: the dolphins will forever hold a special place in my heart for beating the patriots on the last day of the season to hand the #1 seed to the chiefs, which as we all know propelled them to the super bowl. if any of you dolphins fans are ever in kc i'll buy you a beer.

So anyway, that team is building things the right way. And thanks to the Texans they are sitting pretty this next draft. Future looks bright for Dolphins fans.

Russell has elite mobility within the pocket, escapability,  and touch on long passes. I think Tua has Steve Young type accuracy and puts more zip on the ball. I thought a knock on Tua was that he held onto the ball too long and took hits.

There was no preseason for Tua, or Herbert or Barrow, so this will be our first look at Tua under pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread