What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going to NYC for long weekend in April (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
The wife and I are going to NYC in April on a Friday morning and coming back Monday evening.    We have tickets to see Hamilton on Saturday.    MY wife definitely wants to see the 911 Memorial Musuem but aside from that we have no other plans.   I was thinking we would also check out Central Park, Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building, maybe a museum.  It would cool to go to taping a talk show or GMA but my understanding is that tickets are hard to come by.

Looking for suggestions for places to eat and other things to do, especially Friday and Sunday evening.   Whatcha got?

Go walk the highline and eat somewhere in the meat packing district

empire state building is somewhat overrated or the length of the line 

you can also walk the Brooklyn bridge after ground zero or go down to Wall Street, ending at stone street, get some drinks down there 

Find the New York thread we just did this last summer :)

We paid for a tour guide for Statue of Liberty - it took a little longer but it got us pedestal tickets and the guy was an aspiring actor - he was very nice.

The main issue was people in the group lagging behind :)

While at the museum I recommend going up the Freedom Tower also.  We paid the extra for the middle ticket to skip the lines.... Even though you get an ipad for your tour with that ticket - its not worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
Find the New York thread we just did this last summer :)

We paid for a tour guide for Statue of Liberty - it took a little longer but it got us pedestal tickets and the guy was an aspiring actor - he was very nice.

The main issue was people in the group lagging behind :)

While at the museum I recommend going up the Freedom Tower also.  We paid the extra for the middle ticket to skip the lines.... Even though you get an ipad for your tour with that ticket - its not worth it
Found it... Thanks!

so you will enjoy new york because there are parneras all over the place and it will be spring and nothing says enjoy a spring day and some blossoms like a warmed up food from parnera take that to the bank brohan 

We went to see come from away after we went to the 9-11 memorial. My daughter said that was the favorite day of the trip. Have fun!

If you're doing the highline and like Art, the Whtiney Musem moved down there, modern stuff mainly, but if you like art its good

if you're more traditional, you can tie MoMA into it at central park

If you're not into art the Museum of Natural History is on the other side of the park, also worth  visit potentially.  

We are already going to a Broadway musical but this is a great idea.   I'll definitely look into it!
You can see come from away on tour as well, but a good chunk of the original cast is still in it. Also, it’s only 1 1/2 hours and no intermission. 

You didn't specifically ask what area to stay in but I'd suggest the area between Soho, Little Italy and Chinatown -- when I've gone for work travel I like to stay at the Sohotel specifically because (1) the variety of great ethnic restaurants to enjoy, (2) the ease of taking a few subway stops to where I needed to go for work (Southern tip of Manhattan) which is where you'll want to go for WTC and most tour "starts" (Statue of Liberty, etc.) -- also close to Broadway.

One thing NYC is known for is the museums.  People have mentioned several, but my favorite is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  They have some interesting special exhibitions that will be open when you're here (https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions), plus the regular exhibits as well.  The Met is part of Museum Mile, while consists of 8 different museums in the Upper East Side, some small and some large.  https://www.ny.com/museums/mile.html.  It's along Central Park so you can include that as part of the day.  There's also good restaurants in the area.  Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are iconic tourist destinations, but I would rather spend the day checking out Museum Mile, Central Park and the Upper East Side.

For more restaurant recommendations, if you can be more specific about where you will be and what kinds of food you like (or just want to try something different), we can provide some recommendations.  You should also check out the restaurant posts in the NY thread, which are linked in the OP of the thread.  One thing I love about NYC is the incredible variety of good restaurants.  If you're into trying different kinds of food, NYC is the place to do it.  One of my restaurant posts focuses on that (the 2nd restaurant link in the OP).  There's about 35 different kinds of restaurants in that post, so you can find plenty of interesting options that might be new to you.  There's also a lot of restaurant recommendations throughout the thread.

You didn't specifically ask what area to stay in but I'd suggest the area between Soho, Little Italy and Chinatown -- when I've gone for work travel I like to stay at the Sohotel specifically because (1) the variety of great ethnic restaurants to enjoy, (2) the ease of taking a few subway stops to where I needed to go for work (Southern tip of Manhattan) which is where you'll want to go for WTC and most tour "starts" (Statue of Liberty, etc.) -- also close to Broadway.
Thanks.  We have reservations to stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

One thing NYC is known for is the museums.  People have mentioned several, but my favorite is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  They have some interesting special exhibitions that will be open when you're here (https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions), plus the regular exhibits as well.  The Met is part of Museum Mile, while consists of 8 different museums in the Upper East Side, some small and some large.  https://www.ny.com/museums/mile.html.  It's along Central Park so you can include that as part of the day.  There's also good restaurants in the area.  Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are iconic tourist destinations, but I would rather spend the day checking out Museum Mile, Central Park and the Upper East Side.

For more restaurant recommendations, if you can be more specific about where you will be and what kinds of food you like (or just want to try something different), we can provide some recommendations.  You should also check out the restaurant posts in the NY thread, which are linked in the OP of the thread.  One thing I love about NYC is the incredible variety of good restaurants.  If you're into trying different kinds of food, NYC is the place to do it.  One of my restaurant posts focuses on that (the 2nd restaurant link in the OP).  There's about 35 different kinds of restaurants in that post, so you can find plenty of interesting options that might be new to you.  There's also a lot of restaurant recommendations throughout the thread.
Thanks, we will definitely be checking out musuems when we are there.   I would like to go to Katz's for pastrami,  NY pizza, and a fancy place for dinner on her birthday before we go to Hamilton but don't think I want to drop a grand for a meal for 2.    I'll eat pretty much anything but my wife isn't a big fan of Indian.   

Thanks, we will definitely be checking out musuems when we are there.   I would like to go to Katz's for pastrami,  NY pizza, and a fancy place for dinner on her birthday before we go to Hamilton but don't think I want to drop a grand for a meal for 2.    I'll eat pretty much anything but my wife isn't a big fan of Indian.   
Is your wife a shopper? 5th Avenue has some high end stuff, you may want to put some time at Rockefeller Center in your day.  Its not the same as a TV taping but you can see within a few blocks the Today Show,  GMA and Fox and Friends all with street view and sometimes street side shots.  From Roc Center, you can go to Top of the Rock for view, which is a much better experience than Empire State for my money, as you can actually SEE the empire state.   And get a Magnolia Cupcake on 6th Avenue when you're done, they were made famous on Sex and the City if she was a fan (the orginial is in the west village, also  good walking tour area for shopping.)  

If she's got more modest tastes, Macy's on 34th Street is solid, you can see MSG if you like.  

Or if she's chic, there's shi-shi shops down in Soho also a great walking area, cobblestone streets.

Go walk the highline and eat somewhere in the meat packing district

empire state building is somewhat overrated or the length of the line 

you can also walk the Brooklyn bridge after ground zero or go down to Wall Street, ending at stone street, get some drinks down there 
Agree 100% -- I was going to suggest the first one here.  Great places to eat all along under the highline. 

Central park is a great idea.

Wander the lower east side to a dive bar if you want to see night time/young NY culture.

Walking the brooklyn bridge is great -- I'd go a step further and wander around Dumbo, but also walk around the heart of Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

I live basically across the street.

The tenement museum is highly recommended (down the street) if you have time that day.

I forget what David bouley's latest place is...but it's good. Esca (Italian seafood near times square) and for fancier- le Bernadin are good and won't set you back a grand.

Relatively local to Times Square for dinner, that won't totally blow your budget but give you a little slice of iconic NY, I'd think about Smith and Wollensky Steakhouse.  A classic, good meal.  I also like visually and the meal is great, Del Frisco's Steakhouse.  Great food in a great room.   

Higher end, you can go for Nobu on 57th, or just solid restaurants off the square (which is a bit of a wasteland for decent food) are Bond 45 or Virgil's BBQ.  Myself, I'd go Del Frisco's.

One thing thats fun in NYC is a good amount of speakeasy spaces.  I like Lucha Libre in Kenmare Square hidden in the taco stand, but closer to you in Times Square is Bathtub Gin.

Rue 57 is a nice bistro spot on your way to the park, 6th and 57th, but also a few good spots in the Time Warner Center, eat a little crossant overlooking the park.  

I live basically across the street.

The tenement museum is highly recommended (down the street) if you have time that day.

I forget what David bouley's latest place is...but it's good. Esca (Italian seafood near times square) and for fancier- le Bernadin are good and won't set you back a grand.
David Bouley’s test kitchen is awesome and cheap. 

Food tours are an awesome way to see the city and get history and good eats at the same time.  We took one in NYC that we loved.  Just look at tripadvisor and pick your style.

Empire State Building is great but usually a long wait to get up to the observation deck. I was up there once and it took an hour and a half which is not bad. Checked another time and it was a three hour wait.

You should check out “Top of the Rock” observation deck at Rockefeller Center. You shouldn’t have to wait as long as the ESB. Last time I went it was a quick line to get upstairs. The view is great from there also.

Empire State Building is great but usually a long wait to get up to the observation deck. I was up there once and it took an hour and a half which is not bad. Checked another time and it was a three hour wait.

You should check out “Top of the Rock” observation deck at Rockefeller Center. You shouldn’t have to wait as long as the ESB. Last time I went it was a quick line to get upstairs. The view is great from there also.
Not even sure that’s necessary (although probably better than empire stare).  Marriott marquis has a rotating restaurant and lounge on the 47th and 48th floors.  Not quite the same view, but probably good enough and won’t waste a bunch of time. 

The wife and I are going to NYC in April on a Friday morning and coming back Monday evening.    We have tickets to see Hamilton on Saturday.    MY wife definitely wants to see the 911 Memorial Musuem but aside from that we have no other plans.   I was thinking we would also check out Central Park, Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building, maybe a museum.  It would cool to go to taping a talk show or GMA but my understanding is that tickets are hard to come by.

Looking for suggestions for places to eat and other things to do, especially Friday and Sunday evening.   Whatcha got?
It may be a lonesome experience (see Mr Ham and a few others in the coronavirus thread)

DUMBO then ferry over to south street seaport. Walk around downtown, up through the City Hall, past the Jeffry Epstein hanging site, then killer Vietnamese at Nah Trang, followed by a Mulberry St for cannoli. Nice little afternoon.

zoobird said:
Not even sure that’s necessary (although probably better than empire stare).  Marriott marquis has a rotating restaurant and lounge on the 47th and 48th floors.  Not quite the same view, but probably good enough and won’t waste a bunch of time. 
Freshman year of college I had sex on the rooftop just below there on the marriot with a girl who was living with her ex (I had a Hobbit dorm-mate who never left the room for fear NYC would destroy him... so she and I had to find random quasi-public spots to hook up). Thought we blended into a dark rooftop and were invisible, but after further review- completely not blended or invisible.

DUMBO then ferry over to south street seaport. Walk around downtown, up through the City Hall, past the Jeffry Epstein hanging site, then killer Vietnamese at Nah Trang, followed by a Mulberry St for cannoli. Nice little afternoon.
Ferry is a good call or take ny water taxi

and as an aside, the Staten Island ferry is the best Cheap date in New York.  Take it there, take it back, a tall boy each way 

Users who are viewing this thread