What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 PGA Tour - (1 Viewer)

Not sure how much life there is for the LPGA, but it needs Lexi to stop leaking.
Choked it away a five shot lead. She had a must make birdie on the par 5 16th fm like 8-10’ (guessing) and her playing partner had a long lag that gave her the line. Didn’t even touch the hole. Drove in the rough on the par 5 17, a hole she can reach in two. Could only advance her second 40-50 yards, made bogey. Still, she goes to 18 tied with two others, wedge in her hand, center of the fairway, came up 20 yards short into a massive bunker. Another bogey for a 75 and misses the playoff.

Shes had a lot of final round majors like that since she won the Nabisco in 2014.

17 year old kid from New Jersey (h.s. Junior) just sank a 6’ on 18 to win low am by one. She led after 36 holes, great story.

ETA: 19 y.o. from the Philippines 🇵🇭 won on the third playoff hole with a birdie

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit torn here. 

Bryson is pretty insufferable but this isn’t a good way to handle this. There’s now going to be a bunch of bros yelling so they can get on Twitter for some free Michelob Ultra. 
Man, I hate both these guys.  Bryson probably worse but is Koepka dumb?  Why encourage this behavior?  Can't imagine the PGA Tour is liking this at all.  Should get fined here, no need to be encouraging it.

Back to Torrey Pines South

33 things you don't remember from Tiger Woods' epic win at the 2008 U.S. Open

Article was written three years ago but still a fun read.

2008 US Open (5 minute highlight film)

Tiger shot started out 1 over (72) in his first tournament since the Masters and after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery (it wasn't until two days after the win we found out he was playing with a torn ACL and a broken tibula.) Post a front 9 30 on Friday and finished the day one back. On Saturday he was five back with 6 holes to play.

made two eagles on the back 9 Saturday to hold the overnight lead by one

Still his greatest win ever IMO.

Man, who is this Wilco character...averaging 340 yard drives this week.
Dude is built like Devonta Smith 

His drives Friday:

376 366 362 354 354 348 346 343 340 339 338 335 329 

doesn’t include #18 where he hit an iron

think he had a 379 yarder in his first round on tour 

21 y.o., ranked 143rd (ish), won in South Africa (Sunshine) and Europe (Challenge Tour)

Man, who is this Wilco character...averaging 340 yard drives this week.
Guy takes like a 3/4 length backswing and has a longer shaft.  It looks ####ed up but he has a 400+ competition drive, several of them.  I don't get it.  

According to TGC on XM, it is within the typical pairings format to put Kopeka with BDC on Thursday...reigning champ with amateur champ and past champ...with the last spot being basically wide open it sounds. They expect the USGA to do it too.

How does one find out an approximate total winning score for the Open this weekend?  I search early in the week for every Major and can never find anything.  That includes gaming sites.  I know weather and stuff is typically necessary to dial in a more accurate winning score, but I can never even find ballpark numbers.  Why (and where) is that?

How does one find out an approximate total winning score for the Open this weekend?  I search early in the week for every Major and can never find anything.  That includes gaming sites.  I know weather and stuff is typically necessary to dial in a more accurate winning score, but I can never even find ballpark numbers.  Why (and where) is that?
Tiger won with -1 in 2008. That's a starting point 

That actually brings up a pretty good discussion point. Used to be that "protecting par" was a primary objective for the USGA in setting up US Open courses. It was considered the norm to have fairways 20 yards wide, impossibly thick rough 4" or longer, and missing the fairway was a more or less a half stroke penalty - bc there was about a 50% chance the lie would be so bad the players couldn't advance the ball more than 40 yards and they needed a wedge to hack it out. Playing sideways back into the fairway was super common.

From 1930 to 1959 - 26 championships as they didn't play 1942-45 due to WW2 - only nine times did the winner shoot under par. Only once did the winner break 280, Ben Hogan shooting 276 (-8) in 1948 at Riviera CC. In the 1960s, winners finished under par six times, though 1963 saw a winning score of (+9.) The 70s again saw six winners at E or better, though memorably Hale Irwin won at Oakmont CC with (+7) in 1974. It was a brutal era.

From 1980 to 2005, no winner shot over par. Four times Hogan's record of (-8) was tied and Tiger Woods obliterated that with a 272 (-12) in 2000, winning by a record 15 strokes. Equipment advancements and revolutionary changes in ball construction made it harder and harder for Superintendents to setup difficult courses without making them so ridiculous. Think the 18th green at Olympic CC in the 1998 first round, when the back shelf pin position was absurd (Payne Stewart famously missed a short putt which rolled 50" down to the front of the green.) There was only so much they could do in terms of tricking up the courses, and lengthening courses had little effect because as it evolved almost everyone was able to bomb drives.

The other organizations - the Royal & Ancient for the (then) British Open and the PGA of America, didn't have the same aversion to seeing low scores. Augusta National didn't even have any rough. Now there was a period where the R&A started setting up Open Championships with the USGA mentality (think Carnoustie the year Van de Velde pissed it away) and the PGA followed suit. Augusta NGC grew a second cut and stretched the holes to the absolute limit of the property lines. But the pendulum has swung the other way and they all given in the inevitable fact they simply cannot protect par in the modern era. In the 2010s the winning score has (-9) or lower four times, and everyone seems cool with that. Makes for more interesting competition.

list of US Open Champions & winning scores

Last edited by a moderator:
gump said:
According to TGC on XM, it is within the typical pairings format to put Kopeka with BDC on Thursday...reigning champ with amateur champ and past champ...with the last spot being basically wide open it sounds. They expect the USGA to do it too.
@GeulaHayom: Report: Bryson DeChambeau declined to be paired with Brooks Koepka for the U.S. Open https://sports.yahoo.com/report-bryson-dechambeau-declined-paired-142254662.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw via @Yahoo

I didn't realize there was a decline option. They should have just scheduled it. Eventually they will have to play together for a final pairing.
Let it happen naturally.  No reason for the USGA to embrace the WWF aspect here.  I don't think it should be forced at this point.

They are both idiots, in their own way.  One is actually dumb and one has no idea how he comes across to the general public

Love the Phil-Xander SD pairing for both of them, along w So-Cal guy Homa.
I like these b2b2b pairings of older Euros who are ball strikers followed by young guns who could win or miss the cut followed by "hey don't forget about us".

7:29 a.m. / 1:14 p.m. – Francesco Molinari, Henrik Stenson, Shane Lowry

7:40 a.m. / 1:25 p.m. – Matt Fitzpatrick, Tyrrell Hatton, Viktor Hovland

7:51 a.m. / 1:36 p.m. – Martin Kaymer, Webb Simpson, Gary Woodland

Any dark horse picks for rounding out a pool?  Or maybe guys that ptobably won't win, but likely to make the cut?

Any dark horse picks for rounding out a pool?  Or maybe guys that ptobably won't win, but likely to make the cut?
look for somebody who has either done well on poa greens or at Torrey or both.  here is mine-

"Cam Smith is another potential low sentiment play here as he’s coming in off a missed cut, but has played well at longer U.S. Open venues before, finishing T4 at the mammoth Chambers Bay in 2015 which also features Poa greens. Smith also has two top-20 finishes at Torrey since 2018. "

I like the way Finau played here earlier in the year and though I don't like his fading act on the weekends, I do think he's bettable as your first round leader with 22-1 odds.  
Took him top 20 +110 and X top 10 +180.  I don't think either wins but they are consistently in the hunt.

Man, Chamblee bashed Koepka today.  Crossing the line, bad for golf, social media troll.
Chamblee is the very essence of everything you'd hate about golfers.  Especially back in the day.  He is the quintessential, know-it-all, arrogant, smug D-bag.  He sits there on the set with feathered hair, legs crossed, smirking like he's Montgomery Burns.

His deep takes where he thinks he's uncovering territory for you that only he would know are nauseating.

I keep wondering how he's still on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread