What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Combine Thread (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne said:
9" hands for Burrow? I think he shrank them on purpose so the Bengals won't draft him.
Mahomes has 9 1/4... I thought this was dispelled long ago. If not Fromm is the one who has more to be concerned about.

Jeudy 25.5 BMI

Lamb 26.1 BMI

Hamler 27.1 BMI

Hodgins 26.2 BMI

J Jefferson 26.7 BMI

This WR class is crazy is good and now is starting to check all the boxes. Can’t wait for the athletic testing.

Really no surprises that I saw in the measurements.  All decent except for Jeudy and Lamb and those were expected as sub 200.  Was kind of hopeful one would get up to 200 but whatever.  

DPJ (6'1 5/8, 212 lb, hands: 10 1/4, wingspan 79 1/4) from Michigan and Cody White (6'3 3/8, 217 lb, hands: 10, wingspan 79 1/4) from Michigan St. with some very solid measurements. 

I think both these guys got held back by awful offenses, and could see both being pretty good athletes. 

DPJ (6'1 5/8, 212 lb, hands: 10 1/4, wingspan 79 1/4) from Michigan and Cody White (6'3 3/8, 217 lb, hands: 10, wingspan 79 1/4) from Michigan St. with some very solid measurements. 

I think both these guys got held back by awful offenses, and could see both being pretty good athletes. 
Effort is my concern with DPJ.  Athletically gifted for sure, but he disappears through routes sometimes.  If NFL teams like him then I'll move him up but there's mental concerns for me.  Agree completely that their offense held them back a lot though.  

That's Delanie Walker style thickness at that height for Bryant...doubt he runs as fast, though Walker ran at his pro day I believe and was a much later developmental pick back when the league was different. He set records in JUCO and then college as a receiver, had such athleticism that he also returned kicks (3 for TDs!)...he'd likely be a much higher pick today. 

Effort is my concern with DPJ.  Athletically gifted for sure, but he disappears through routes sometimes.  If NFL teams like him then I'll move him up but there's mental concerns for me.  Agree completely that their offense held them back a lot though.  
Yeah I can see that. DPJ seems like a guy who rested on his 5-start status a little bit in college. Even still, if he tests about where he measured in HS, he's going to climb post combine. He ran a 4.45 40 and had a 38.8" vertical at recruiting camps coming in. I can see NFL teams buying the narrative that the system/QB/other targets kept him from reaching his potential, and moving him up to day 2. 

White's interesting to me. I'm surprised things have been so quiet on him. He kept looking like he was about to break out in college, then he'd get hurt. I thought he'd be better with healthy offseason in 2019, but it was concerning he started behind Darrell Stewart on the depth chart. He definitely looks more athletic than Stewart, and had less issues with drops, but for some reason Stewart was the target leader until he got hurt. Maybe that was just a function of MSU OL being awful, and Stewart working more int he slot...

Aiyuks wingspan is crazy
Was coming in here to post exact same thing. Dude's part condor. Some other WR's were similar, Higgins beat him by an inch, but those are all like 6'3" or bigger WR's.

Also was going to post that Ruggs hand size was a nice surprise.  Also a lot of the TE's had huge hands.

Was coming in here to post exact same thing. Dude's part condor. Some other WR's were similar, Higgins beat him by an inch, but those are all like 6'3" or bigger WR's.

Also was going to post that Ruggs hand size was a nice surprise.  Also a lot of the TE's had huge hands.
re watching some highlight stuff on Aiyuk and i am seeing why i was unaware of how long his arms were. He looks every ball in. Not sure I saw him reach out and grab one. Even the longer throws, he was mostly under them so not much opportunity to see him go get one. A lot of timing slant, drag and screens where his big plays (keep in mind, was a highlight reel) happened where he was hit perfectly in stride, so again, no going and getting it.

Maybe its not that big of a deal, just seemed odd.

Iceman03 said:
Chase Claypool should convert to TE... he’s almost 240lbs yeesh.
https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1231969180779413506

@JimNagy_SB

Spoke to four scouts and three said Notre Dame’s Chase Claypool won today’s weigh-ins. Put on nine pounds since

@seniorbowl

(229 lbs in Mobile and 238 today). Might be embracing the TE conversion. He’s going to be a mismatch problem at the next level. #TheDraftStartsInMOBILE

Higher risk for shoulder separation on plays where he has to extend?  Any doctors/physical therapy professionals in here able to comment?
I don't think a long wingspan can be an inherently bad thing, though I'll let the doctors comment on that. It's usually a combination of broad chest/shoulders connected to long arms and big hands. It's nearly universally seen as a good thing at every position, especially WR/TE/OT/EDGE.

Using the measurements here, this is how I have the WRs at the combine rated from "best size" to worst.

In general, it's good to have more height, weight, BMI, and arm length, and I've thrown those numbers together in a formula to help me evaluate WR prospects.

4.97    Chase Claypool    Notre Dame
4.68    Juwan Johnson    Oregon
3.69    Collin Johnson    Texas
3.65    Lawrence Cager    Georgia
3.41    Antonio Gandy-Golden    Liberty
2.85    Tee Higgins    Clemson
2.50    Dezmon Patmon    Washington St.
2.18    Donovan Peoples-Jones    Michigan
2.12    Gabriel Davis    Central Florida
2.11    Michael Pittman, Jr.    USC
2.06    Brandon Aiyuk    Arizona St.
1.82    Jauan Jennings    Tennessee
1.71    Austin Mack    Ohio St.
1.65    Kalija Lipscomb    Vanderbilt
1.65    Isaiah Hodgins    Oregon St.
1.59    Cody White    Michigan St.
1.41    Bryan Edwards    South Carolina
1.20    Laviska Shenault    Colorado
1.15    Denzel Mims    Baylor
1.10    Tyrie Cleveland    Florida
0.97    Marquez Callaway    Tennessee
0.91    Omar Bayless    Arkansas St.
0.83    Darrell Stewart    Michigan St.
0.71    Justin Jefferson    L.S.U.
0.61    Joe Reed    West Virginia
0.60    Quintez Cephus    Wisconsin
0.57    Antonio Gibson    Memphis
0.38    Aaron Parker    Rhode Island
0.20    Van Jefferson    Florida
0.04    Kendrick Rogers    Texas A&M
0.00    Trishton Jackson    Syracuse
-0.02    Stephen Guidry    Mississippi St.
-0.03    Quartney Davis    Texas A&M
-0.05    Tyler Johnson    Minnesota
-0.18    Jalen Reagor    T.C.U.
-0.23    Tony Brown    Colorado
-0.24    K.J. Osborn    Miami (FL)
-0.32    CeeDee Lamb    Oklahoma
-0.50    Lynn Bowden, Jr.    Kentucky
-0.62    Isaiah Coulter    Rhode Island
-0.82    Devin Duvernay    Texas
-0.85    Jerry Jeudy    Alabama
-0.88    Binjimen Victor    Ohio St.
-0.88    Freddie Swain    Florida
-1.13    James Proche    S.M.U.
-1.46    Quez Watkins    Southern Miss
-1.64    Henry Ruggs III    Alabama
-1.65    K.J. Hill    Ohio St.
-1.97    Aaron Fuller    UCLA
-1.99    John Hightower    Boise St.
-2.02    Chris Finke    Notre Dame
-2.02    Malcolm Perry    Navy
-2.52    KJ Hamler    Penn St.
-2.83    Darnell Mooney    Tulane
-2.97    Jeff Thomas    Miami (FL)

Zero is something like the average size (although it doesn't matter that much since we mainly care about how guys rate relative to each other).

And here are some TE size ratings. They're on a different scale than the WR one so not directly comparable. Same basic idea: it's good to have more height, weight, BMI, and arm length, so I threw those all together into a single number.

1.21    Dominick Wood-Anderson
0.99    Cole Kmet
0.89    Devin Asiasi
0.82    Albert Okwuegbunam
0.65    Jared Pinkney
0.40    Cheyenne O’Grady
0.24    Adam Trautman
0.07    Stephen Sullivan
0.06    Dalton Keene
-0.01    Thaddeus Moss
-0.07    Jacob Breeland
-0.21    Colby Parkinson
-0.27    Hunter Bryant
-0.52    Mitchell Wilcox
-0.82    Brycen Hopkins
-1.00    Sean McKeon
-1.05    Josiah Deguara
-1.12    Charlie Taumoepeau
-1.23    Charlie Woerner
-1.46    Harrison Bryant

Leake, McFarland and Benjamin all measured over 205. Ke’Shawn measured at 214lbs. Looks like there has been some weight gain for a lot of guys since senior bowl. Other notables: Dobbins at 209 and CEH at 207.

You don’t think low 4.4 is realistic for a guy who peaked at 23.3 mph and 20.05 at the Senior Bowl? Heck, I only had Rashaad Penny close to 19 mph there and he run a 4.46. 
I think he'll run close to 4.52.  I don't think he'll sniff low 4.4's.  If he does he's going to vault up boards, but people need to realize he's still a project.  

Lot of good weigh in's this morning.  Eno Benjamin for one, but no chance he's 207.  I really don't care that he weighed in at 207, that's not his playing weight.  It does make me wonder if I should be using these weigh in's at all though.  McFarland (a personal favorite) came in at 208, although without my preferred height.  KeShawn Vaughn looks solid 214.  

3 of my favorite weigh in's were Cam Akers at 5'10 3/8 217, Jet Anderson at 5'10 4/8 208, and Lamical Perine at 5'10 6/8 216.

A few others that proved some size are Darrynton Evans, Salvon Ahmad, Javon Leake, and Joshua Kelley.  

A little disappointed in DeAndre Swift, JK Dobbins, Zack Moss and Michael Warren.  Can you tell I prefer 5'10?  

In terms of conversion from WR to TE that makes sense but I guess because of similar size twitter is trying to turn him into Engram 2.
Either one could be accurate. He would be a mismatch nightmare. I don’t understand why the NFL start doing this earlier.

Tex

Official #NFLCombine RB measurements:

Tallest: Sewo Olonilua, 6-2 5/8

Heaviest: A.J. Dillon, 247

Longest arms: Patrick Taylor, 32 1/4

Longest wing: Sewo Olonilua, 78 1/8

Largest hands: La'Mical Perine, 10 1/4

— NFL Draft (@NFLDraft) February 25, 2020

Everything from the Senior Bowl until draft day is just jerking yourself off anyway, might as well have any of about 10 guys at 1.01 today.

Either one could be accurate. He would be a mismatch nightmare. I don’t understand why the NFL start doing this earlier.

Tex
I vaguely recall Mike Williams, USC, being discussed as a convert to TE back in 2005. Never really came to fruition. Maybe it's becoming common now, could be good.

I vaguely recall Mike Williams, USC, being discussed as a convert to TE back in 2005. Never really came to fruition. Maybe it's becoming common now, could be good.
In the grand scheme of things, TEs get paid #### all in the NFL. No WR capable of being even a WR3 on his team should consider a position change because the drop off is so steep. 

Not sure these guys are quite WR3's but Travis Kelce as the 2nd highest paid TE is making roughly the same amount per year as Quincy Enunwa, Jamison Crowder, Devin Funchess, and Adam Humphries.  He actually has less guaranteed money on his deal than any of those guys too.
I knew TE's were underpaid but crazy when you put it that way.

I do think the TE market is about to get reset over this and next offseason, but right now it's one of the best team bargain positions in the NFL.

And finally the RB size ratings

1.71    A.J. Dillon    Boston College
1.24    Jonathan Taylor    Wisconsin
1.24    Michael Warren    Cincinnati
1.14    Zack Moss    Utah
1.07    Benny LeMay    Charlotte
1.03    Tony Jones, Jr.    Notre Dame
1.00    James Robinson    Illinois St.
0.93    Cam Akers    Florida St.
0.93    DeeJay Dallas    Miami (FL)
0.89    Lamical Perine    Florida
0.80    Ke’Shawn Vaughn    Vanderbilt
0.68    D’Andre Swift    Georgia
0.64    Joshua Kelley    UCLA
0.64    Rico Dowdle    South Carolina
0.62    Sewo Olonilua    T.C.U.
0.56    Javon Leake    Maryland
0.47    J.K. Dobbins    Ohio St.
0.47    Scottie Phillips    Mississippi
0.39    Anthony McFarland, Jr.    Maryland
0.32    Brian Herrien    Georgia
0.31    Eno Benjamin    Arizona St.
0.31    Clyde Edwards-Helaire    L.S.U.
0.30    Darius Anderson    T.C.U.
0.22    Patrick Taylor, Jr.    Memphis
0.14    JaMycal Hasty    Baylor
-0.17    Darrynton Evans    Appalachian St.
-0.95    Salvon Ahmed    Washington
-1.24    LeVante Bellamy    Western Michigan
-1.59    Raymond Calais    Louisiana-Lafayette
-1.69    J.J. Taylor    Arizona

In terms of conversion from WR to TE that makes sense but I guess because of similar size twitter is trying to turn him into Engram 2.
One of the best conversions was Delanie Walker.  He was a TE1 from 2013 thru 2017, after being selected in the 6th round as a WR.

One of the best conversions was Delanie Walker.  He was a TE1 from 2013 thru 2017, after being selected in the 6th round as a WR.
It takes some time. Waller was also a convert. Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates we’re basketball players. I believe they broke out year 2. I think he would need to add another 10lbs and then learn how to block. Maybe get some looks as a slot guy year 1.

Honestly, another guy I would like to see converted: Joe Reed. I’ve watched a number of his kick returns and he seems like he’d make an intriguing RB. He weighs over 220lbs, similar to Antonio Gibson. Could be an interesting multi tool type player. 

Walker also came out at 6'2" 248 lbs. Those were not really realistic WR measurements anyways. Being a tweener like that and spending time in JUCO back when NFL teams all wanted the same prototypes is why he was a 6th rounder though. Ran crazy fast at his pro day and broke JUCO and college records as a receiver...while returning kicks at his monstrous size and scoring on 3 (!) of them. He was a freak who slipped through the cracks of a much less innovative NFL back then...and then got stuck behind an even bigger freak in Vernon Davis for his first 4 years. 

Meaning, he's a tough guy to compare anyone to as a prospect. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates we’re basketball players. I believe they broke out year 2.
Both converted basketball players for sure but Graham played football his last year in college, I don't think Gates played football in college at all but someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

What was impressive about both of them is they both kind of break out in second half of their rookie seasons. Not to the level they would break out in their second seasons but enough in both cases to let you know.

I distinctly remember doing my FFPC main event the year Graham headed into season two and spending a third round pick on him.

Of course they are the success stories of basketball converts. Then you got Rico Gathers.

Users who are viewing this thread