What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Bryan Edwards, LV (1 Viewer)

Zyphros

Footballguy
I assumed he had a thread already, couldn't find it in the search so obviously I'm the one that has to get this ball rolling.  Don't care about his broken foot, he's a beast.  Everyone sleeping on him. 

He's a do everything type of receiver with size and bully ability.  High points well, fights through contact, uses good feet and sinks his hips really well (to me he did that best out of all WR's this year).  Some may point to overall production (48.4 Dominator rating btw) his breakout (17.8 BOA) and outproducing Deebo for their college career is what I say in retort.  Deebo was an older guy as well, Edwards did it as a younger guy.  Injuries might be a concern but there hasn't been anything repeated or too concerning in his history that I'm aware of.  

I mean just look at this highlight reel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laB5f_5FaDk

If you're a fan of his and point to Deebo as the reason why Edwards isn't good - https://twitter.com/JesseReevesFF/status/1222320308343803904/photo/1

Combine weigh in, but he isn't participating due to his broken foot last minute.  I for one am a bit thankful for that so I can get him a bit cheaper.  

Height: 6-2 6/8

Weight: 212

Hand: 9 4/8

Arm: 32 2/8

Wingspan: 78 5/8

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something I posted about that "48.4 Dominator rating" in another thread

There are a couple funny things about that 48.4 dominator rating.

First of all, it looks like it's based on pro-rating his stats. But pro-rating is pretty misleading in this case, because the 2 games that Edwards missed were against 2 of South Carolina's toughest opponents (Clemson & Texas A&M) who shut them down and held them to a combined 9 points (3 FGs). If you pro-rate Edwards's stats then you get a 48.4% dominator rating, but if you exclude the team stats for the 2 games that he missed and just look at Edwards's market share in the 10 games he played then he just gets a 42.4% dominator rating.

Second, he mainly does that well because the South Carolina passing offense scored so few touchdowns. Over those 10 games, Edwards had 34.8% of their receiving yards (816/2347) and 50% of their receiving TDs (6/12). 816 yards and 6 TD in 10 games is middle-of-the-pack for a WR prospect, 34.8% of receiving yards is pretty good but not amazing. The one number that stands out as really good is 50% of the receiving TDs, which is an unusually high market share, but scoring 6 of your team's 12 receiving TDs over 10 games just doesn't seem all that reflective of great scoring ability. South Carolina's offense really struggled in the red zone - they were among the bottom 10 FBS teams in red zone TDs, and only had 4 red zone passing TDs. Edwards broke a few long touchdowns (with 3 TD receptions of 40+ yards), which is good but not all that unusual, but since South Carolina rarely threw for short touchdowns those ended up being a large fraction of the team's total passing touchdowns.

So I think that 34.8% is a closer reflection of Edwards's share of the South Carolina passing offense.

Day 3 guy. Honestly, I don't think very good at all. Maybe he makes it as some teams #4 WR. There might be 20 WR's I'd take over him in this class.

He's pretty good after the catch(nowhere near Deebo's league though) and he's physical. That is about it. He doesn't separate, and he's hit/miss hands wise. I would strongly disagree that he high points well. 

He's not a separator, he's not a jump ball guy, he's a YAC guy, who likely needs to be schemed touches, but he's not fast enough to do a ton with them. 

As far as a rookie draft goes, he's not even on my radar, as a 3rd rounder. 

Rotoworld:

South Carolina WR Bryan Edwards announced he has a broken foot which will sideline him for the NFL Scouting Combine.

Edwards (6'3/215) was a 2019 All-SEC selection who caught 71 passes for 816 yards and six touchdowns in 10 games, missing his final two games due to a knee injury. He was already forced to bow-out from the Reese's Senior Bowl due to the knee injury, so this latest setback is a devastating blow for Edwards' draft stock. Edwards has NFL-caliber size and speed that earned him a 6.29 grade from NFL.com's Lance Zierlein who compares him to former NFL WR David Terrell. He was hoping to work his way into a Day 2 selection, but the multiple recent injuries will likely knock him down to Day 3 consideration.

SOURCE: Bryan Edwards on Twitter

Feb 21, 2020, 6:13 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline gives South Carolina senior WR Bryan Edwards a third-round grade heading into the 2019 season.

Edwards was the second fiddle last year to Deebo Samuel, but Samuel is off to the NFL, and he has a chance to show off his size and speed as the go-to option in the Gamecocks' offense this fall. "In speaking with scouts, ...Edwards grades anywhere between a top-45 pick and a mid-third round choice," writes Pauline. "Based on my board, I agree with the latter."

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Aug 19, 2019, 3:46 PM ET

Yes, not good for his draft status, but could be the positive negative that allows him to be had For good value in rookie drafts 

Another cautionary tale of why you DO NOT stay in school if you are healthy and have highish draft capital grade/projection. 

He's going to lose a lot of money just because of some bad luck at a bad time. 

Saw him go 3.03, 2.11 and 2.06 in a few Sleeper mock drafts lately.  That'll work for me as he's my #10 player right now.  

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports that South Carolina WR Bryan Edwards (foot) should be healthy come June.

Miller hears that Edwards is "progressing well" in his recovery from the broken foot which he sustained while prepping for the combine. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound wideout earlier missed the Senior Bowl due to a knee injury and has essentially been forced to sit out the entirety of the evaluating process beyond team interviews. Edwards still could have an outside shot at a Day 2 selection, but Day 3 should probably be considered more realistically at this juncture.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 17, 2020, 4:14 PM ET

Raiders selected South Carolina WR Bryan Edwards with the No. 81 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

A four-year starter at South Carolina, Edwards (6’3/212) impressively finished with the third-most receptions (324) and fourth-most receiving yards (3,045) in SEC history. He recorded 55 catches alongside teammate Deebo Samuel in 2018 before being peppered with 26.5 percent of the team's receptions as the go-to option last season. PFF charted 76 percent (36) of Edwards' 71 receptions as a senior within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, profiling him as discount Samuel with a similar rushing floor for fantasy. Edwards showcased straight-line speed on film but a broken foot in February prevented him from competing at the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine. Edwards' injury history (a meniscus tear in November, concussion and sports hernia surgery in 2017) is a red flag, but he is the 11th-youngest receiver in this class. Intriguing and versatile, Edwards could provide fantasy points in a number of ways if coach Jon Gruden knows how to use him. The Raiders' suddenly crowded receiver corps makes Edwards a better dynasty league investment than re-draft. 

Apr 24, 2020, 10:36 PM ET

Not a great spot considering they took 2 wrs before him. Would have loved him in Indy or NYJ or NO or somewhere else better but should still be available in 2nd round of drafts. 

Not a great spot considering they took 2 wrs before him. Would have loved him in Indy or NYJ or NO or somewhere else better but should still be available in 2nd round of drafts. 
FWIW I wouldn't refer to Bowden as a WR in the traditional sense.

I think its a great fit for Edwards.

Carr can dump it off to him all day and just watch him run over people.

Possible he is the guy getting the most targets here if Ruggs is used as more of a vertical threat. 

West coast offense usually likes quick throws to WR who can get YAC and that my friend is Edwards.

I love the spot, only worry about Carr.  So far it looks great from a coach/GM standpoint that they will be there a long time.  

I really like the fit.  Ruggs can pull all the attention and Carr can just keep throwing underneath to Edwards. 

I think its a great fit for Edwards.

Carr can dump it off to him all day and just watch him run over people.

Possible he is the guy getting the most targets here if Ruggs is used as more of a vertical threat. 

West coast offense usually likes quick throws to WR who can get YAC and that my friend is Edwards.
This is what I'm thinking as well. Ruggs is the coveted (in the NFL) take the top off the defense guy, while Edwards and Waller get the possession targets. 

FWIW I wouldn't refer to Bowden as a WR in the traditional sense.
He's more of a RB or Taysom Hill. He was the leading rusher in the SEC last year with 1468 yards, he had 348 receiving. Bowden is more of a threat to Josh Jacobs.

Could work out great, and I’m hoping the fact that on the surface he was third WR taken by Raiders means that people wrongly believe his dynasty value has become depressed. Could be a bargain if he’s slipping to late 2nd round territory 

Could work out great, and I’m hoping the fact that on the surface he was third WR taken by Raiders means that people wrongly believe his dynasty value has become depressed. Could be a bargain if he’s slipping to late 2nd round territory 
He's not slipping to late 2nd round in any draft I'm in.

Ilov80s said:
He's more of a RB or Taysom Hill. He was the leading rusher in the SEC last year with 1468 yards, he had 348 receiving. Bowden is more of a threat to Josh Jacobs.
Those that haven't followed Bowden's career would say this.  He was a good WR year before last and a playmaker from the WR position.  Last year he had to help the team by switching to QB, so naturally he became a RB playing QB.  He will be used in the wildcat with Oakland, and possibly sometimes as a RB for what he showed in 2019, but people forget he was a WR first and a pretty good one and most of his time in college was a WR, not QB/RB.  That was a fluke having to play QB after Terry Wilson went down and his back up (Sawyer Smith) sucked.  Ky's season was on the line and Bowden stepped up to help the team.

Those that haven't followed Bowden's career would say this.  He was a good WR year before last and a playmaker from the WR position.  Last year he had to help the team by switching to QB, so naturally he became a RB playing QB.  He will be used in the wildcat with Oakland, and possibly sometimes as a RB for what he showed in 2019, but people forget he was a WR first and a pretty good one and most of his time in college was a WR, not QB/RB.  That was a fluke having to play QB after Terry Wilson went down and his back up (Sawyer Smith) sucked.  Ky's season was on the line and Bowden stepped up to help the team.
That’ fair. if I was drafting him, it would be based on what he did as a runner last year more than anything though. Leading the SEC in rushing and averaging 7.9 ypc is really impressive. 

Edwards is easily mid-second before he had third-round capital. He's an early-to-mid second, late first guy. Again, we were assuming these RBs all landed in nice and clean spots. They didn't. At all. People can argue until heaven comes home whether the spots are good or not, fact is every single one of them is messy by either previous established talent (Baltimore, Detroit, Indy, to a much lesser extent KC) or by questions about the drafted back (Akers and Vaughn would have the cleanest situations from an experience perspective).

So Edwards gets a bump with all those givens and uncertainties. 

Edwards is easily mid-second before he had third-round capital. He's an early-to-mid second, late first guy. Again, we were assuming these RBs all landed in nice and clean spots. They didn't. At all. People can argue until heaven comes home whether the spots are good or not, fact is every single one of them is messy by either previous established talent (Baltimore, Detroit, Indy, to a much lesser extent KC) or by questions about the drafted back (Akers and Vaughn would have the cleanest situations from an experience perspective).

So Edwards gets a bump with all those givens and uncertainties. 
Yeah but how many RB did he really jump?  I think the big 5 remain ahead of him so it's not like he made up any room on them.  I think he holds pretty even myself.

He was 2.07 by Expert Consensus Rankings on FantasyPros before the draft.
Non-IDP I assume?  So that's a late 2nd for us.

Yeah but how many RB did he really jump?  I think the big 5 remain ahead of him so it's not like he made up any room on them.  I think he holds pretty even myself.
That's a good point. That maybe their value going down in an absolute sense relative to guys in the league doesn't really bump him up and them down in drafts. I'm just thinking that a lot of mocks had Zach Moss going before him. That won't happen now. But -- wait -- a percentage-based mock I just did had Eno Benjamin and Antonio Gibson go before him. So maybe in the algorithm's eyes he hasn't jumped quite yet. But yeah, he's probably pretty even to what he was expected to be.

Non-IDP I assume?  So that's a late 2nd for us.
Yeah, non-IDP. So you're probably right. You've got Young, Simmons, Queen all mixed there from the boards I'm seeing (Tick just posted a good one at the IDP Forum which has Edwards in the beginning of the third by tiers). My hunch? I really think the way the mocks are going that he's a mid-second. They've got some guys in there that are just there filling theoretical space, not guys people are going to draft. Burrow goes ahead of him pretty consistently; I don't see that happening in savvier leagues or leagues that aren't deep. (Mine happens to have really deep dynasty rosters which means quarterbacks aren't lightly considered like typical 1 QB redraft or others similarly situated).

But yeah, if your hope is to get him late second, there's always that chance. I think being on these boards and constantly engaged can create an awareness about certain guys that are just a name to others. But if that name gets pumped too much in the nether regions of the information hoarding that goes on and he winds up consistently within those "sneaky" lists that they'll do, then the jig is up.

Vegas is a good landing spot for Edwards.  He really suffered in the draft due to his injury and the poor offensive play of SC his last two seasons.  He's physical and has a big catch radius, but better downfield than most think.  He's going to make a living off of slant/drag routes.

If anything the only downgraded dynasty assets to the Raiders picks is possibly Jacobs and definitely Renfrow.  Edwards is a beast with no competition for targets in his role.  No reason he shouldn't produce by mid season.  I expect a few rough weeks if he earns starter snaps week 1, then I expect him to start showing possession or YAC WR ability by week 5.  I don't think he produces very highly as a rookie but a decent showing to give optimism.  Something like 50/650/3 as a rookie.  Probably a little better than someone like Kelvin Harmon did.  

Basically that means he'll lose value if you draft him early 2nd.  Not a bad thing, but you might be able to get him cheaper after year 1.  

Bowden was drafted to play backup RB and OW.

Ruggs and Edwards were drafted to play Z and X, respectively. 

Ty Willy likely to stick around for 2020 as starting X, until Edwards time.

Users who are viewing this thread