Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

Just now, GoBirds said:

He could have summed it up in 2 sentences saying it cost him billions but he loves his country and is glad he did it. Instead we all will never get that 5 minutes of our lives back. 

Agreed.

And the billions thing is made up out of thin air. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Australia has had months of little to no community spread and even then it was confined to one state. By and large Australians are running around doing the right thing, sport was and is still hap

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the

I am confident we are going to hit >750K deaths.  I think it might be a million.  I don't post a ton but I'm an ER doc in a big city. This is by far the worse I've seen since the pandemic star

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

He could have summed it up in 2 sentences saying it cost him billions but he loves his country and is glad he did it. Instead we all will never get that 5 minutes of our lives back. 

You believe that? Billions?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, eoMMan said:

Look at how obsessed you all are at hating him, would you ever stay at one of his hotels or do anything that put :2cents: in his pocket? :lmao:

That’s a significant change for the worse from when he as the rich guy in The Apprentice. 

2 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Seeing how he was worth a little over 3 billion at the beginning of his Presidency and it has cost him billions and billions is he planning on filing for bankruptcy again?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, The General said:

Agreed.

And the billions thing is made up out of thin air. 

He’s shook for sure, and should be as these are unprecedented times.....or at least nothing I’ve seen in my lifetime. 

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

He’s shook for sure, and should be as these are unprecedented times.....or at least nothing I’ve seen in my lifetime. 

Saddest part is you fail to see how he has made this all so much worse. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Look at how obsessed you all are at hating him, would you ever stay at one of his hotels or do anything that put :2cents: in his pocket? :lmao:

That’s a significant change for the worse from when he as the rich guy in The Apprentice. 

He didn't get his alleged billions from me before he was President. I'm sure if his hotels are nice enough, people (not all) will look past him personally. 

I actually have a Trump tie, which is one of my more favorite ties.

He didn't get his alleged billions from me before he was President. I'm sure if his hotels are nice enough, people (not all) will look past him personally. 

I actually have a Trump tie, which is one of my more favorite ties.

Maybe I’m off but with all the venom and obsession out there I don’t agree on the bolded and think there are many that will go a lifetime after this refusing to do anything to put money in his family’s pockets. I never would have guessed you were a Trump tie guy. :lmao:

50 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Most of us are watching.  We don`t need a play by play.

You keep posting comments without giving any thought.    You told Joe you would try to be better when you were getting ripped by people who are on your side right?

I'm not watching and much appreciate the play by play.  I do find the whining about it a bit annoying at times but I try to skim past...usually.

Edited by dutch
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

They have to pass a bill tonight. Do they not realize this? They can come back and do more. Everyone is totally spooked. Small businesses are literally deciding what to do right now, as is everyone else.

Are they really not going to pass it? Ugh. 

Just now, GoBirds said:

Maybe I’m off but with all the venom and obsession out there I don’t agree on the bolded and think there are many that will go a lifetime after this refusing to do anything to put money in his family’s pockets. I never would have guessed you were a Trump tie guy. :lmao:

Don't get me wrong...it doesn't have Trump's face on it. It is simply his brand with his name on the inside label. :D

Now back on topic.

5 minutes ago, cobalt_27 said:

Saddest part is you fail to see how he has made this all so much worse. 

Disagree, saddest part in my opinion are your blinders and obsession with complaining in here hourly. 

Don't get me wrong...it doesn't have Trump's face on it. It is simply his brand with his name on the inside label. :D

Now back on topic.

Let’s be honest.....you cut the label out didn’t you?

• Laughing 1
1 minute ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

They have to pass a bill tonight. Do they not realize this? They can come back and do more. Everyone is totally spooked. Small businesses are literally deciding what to do right now, as is everyone else.

They need to take care of the small business owners and the unemployed RIGHT NOW. The rest of us can wait. Or send us all a check and I’ll donate it to my local small business owners. I’m not shocked that they don’t get this though. Politicians all suck :thumbdown:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, The General said:

What’s in the bill regarding that the Senate is trying to pass?

Blank check, basically.

Biggest issue is lack of transparency, and accountability in terms of how the money would be spent - with no reporting due until after the November elections.

3 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

They need to take care of the small business owners and the unemployed RIGHT NOW. The rest of us can wait. Or send us all a check and I’ll donate it to my local small business owners. I’m not shocked that they don’t get this though. Politicians all suck :thumbdown:

I honestly don't know who is trying to save small business owners at this point.  It seems the GOP are trying to save big businesses, and the Dems are trying to save consumers/employees.

Small Business owners seem to be an under-represented group.

Edited by Sinn Fein
  • Like 1
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

I honestly don't know who is trying to save small business owners at this point.  It seems the GOP are trying to dave big businesses, and the Dems are trying to save consumers/employees.

Yep. I know quite a few and I’m terrified for them. Most work their asses off 7 days a week and are going to get buried. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

I honestly don't know who is trying to save small business owners at this point.  It seems the GOP are trying to save big businesses, and the Dems are trying to save consumers/employees.

Isn’t part of the House bill basically a forgivable loan to small businesses as long as they keep 90% of the employees or did that go away?

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Blank check, basically.

Biggest issue is lack of transparency, and accountability in terms of how the money would be spent - with no reporting due until after the November elections.

Lax rules on bailout money.

3 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Let's reach some common ground with a very important message from Jason Kelce:

Link

He has my vote! Trump could take some notes from him on speaking. 

Edited by GoBirds
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

They don’t all suck. They are trying to figure out a way to allocate trillions of dollars. They need to do this properly.

Saying stuff like “we support the workers” means nothing.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Man In The Box said:

Yep. I know quite a few and I’m terrified for them. Most work their asses off 7 days a week and are going to get buried. 

This is probably why its best to get checks in the hands of all people - no means testing.

Start there in a big way, and then see how the consumer spending filters into the economy, and then target specific areas/businesses/industries to bailout.

3 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Isn’t part of the House bill basically a forgivable loan to small businesses as long as they keep 90% of the employees or did that go away?

I'll confess ignorance here - not sure where things stand, or what can be compromised into a final bill.

But, that would be a good start, and placing restrictions on stock buy backs for any companies that take bailout money.

3 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I'll confess ignorance here - not sure where things stand, or what can be compromised into a final bill.

But, that would be a good start, and placing restrictions on stock buy backs for any companies that take bailout money.

That’s the frustrating part.   Nobody knows where we stand.

everyone wants to send out cash to people although I did read the GOP wants it to be paid back via next years tax return.

Seems like the Dems and White House are against stock buy backs of any money is loaned

everything else is up in the air

10 minutes ago, The General said:

They don’t all suck. They are trying to figure out a way to allocate trillions of dollars. They need to do this properly.

Saying stuff like “we support the workers” means nothing.

They’re arguing over petty ####. Trying to get a one up for their side. All the while, wasting valuable time while people die and small businesses go under. It’s pretty gross. 

• Like 3

People who are working will tend to save bailout money for a rainy day. I'd like to get the money, but I'm still working and won't put the money in the economy now. On the other hand, one of my daughters quit her job 2 months ago thinking it would be easy to find another one. And my oldest will defend her PhD in August (just postponed from May) and her professors are worried for job prospects for her and others like her. So, more than just the officially unemployed could use a stimulus funds, but how does one decide. There must be a November political strategy for GOP.

3 minutes ago, Tom Skerritt said:

My brother is a bartender with a wife and two kids. He was laid off a couple of days ago. Apparently he is able to apply for unemployment benefits due to virus circumstances. 

Unemployment is something else the Feds are going to have to figure out - States are on the hook, but you know that none of them have the budget for the claims that are coming.  We are going to have to share that burden.

• Like 1
Just now, Man In The Box said:

They’re arguing over petty ####. Trying to get a one up for their side. All the while, wasting valuable time while people die and small businesses go under. It’s pretty gross. 

Agreed they should be able to get money out ASAP but I think it’s a little more difficult than what you are saying.

3 minutes ago, The General said:

Can someone explain why voting remotely is a thing they are concerned about?

Because members of Congress are being quarantined 

meta: and I believe voting remotely is against the law and unprecedented 

Edited by Cowboysfan8
1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Unemployment is something else the Feds are going to have to figure out - States are on the hook, but you know that none of them have the budget for the claims that are coming.  We are going to have to share that burden.

Read today there’s 39 weeks of UI benefits in the package. Not sure exactly how that works, but I remember post 9/11 there were federal extensions (I would get notices of employees we laid off were still collecting...as an aside, it makes the employer UI contribution rate go up.) So like the first 13 weeks will be from the state, and then the Feds will fund 39 weeks.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Nailed it with the differences in states and letting them handle best for each situation. 

Especially since he fired the federal pandemic response team and didn’t replace them. 

• Sad 1
Just now, BobbyLayne said:

Read today there’s 39 weeks of UI benefits in the package. Not sure exactly how that works, but I remember post 9/11 there were federal extensions (I would get notices of employees we laid off were still collecting...as an aside, it makes the employer UI contribution rate go up.) So like the first 13 weeks will be from the state, and then the Feds will fund 39 weeks.

Honestly - that seems like a raw deal for the states - but that may just be wishful thinking on my part that 8 weeks from now the masses will be going back to work.

So huge spike/hit for 8 weeks, but then "normal" unemployment by the time you get to week 14.

1 minute ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Because members of Congress are being quarantined 

meta: and I believe voting remotely is against the law and unprecedented 

Yeah that’s what I don’t get. Not having a way to do this is insane to me.