Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus


James Daulton

Recommended Posts

No way this doesn’t get into the 1000 cases range within a week or so right?

My work which doesn’t shut down for anything just sent out a email saying if you were in contact with someone traveling in Asia, Italy stay home for 2 weeks.

Things gonna get nutty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First two cases in Florida, in the Tampa Bay area. One had traveled to Italy, one with no known connection to a virus cluster: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/national/coronavirus/two-presumptive-cases-of-coronavirus-reported-in-tampa-bay

The state just recently obtained the ability to test for the virus in 3 locations, Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville, saving a day or two in diagnosis over sending to CDC.

The governor just declared a public health emergency in the state. I guess that gives him more power for quarantines and others measures for containment. And to spend  money where needed.

Edited by SoBeDad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

First two cases in Florida, in the Tampa Bay area. One had traveled to Italy, one with no known connection to a virus cluster: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/national/coronavirus/two-presumptive-cases-of-coronavirus-reported-in-tampa-bay

The state just recently obtained the ability to test for the virus in 3 locations, Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville, saving a day or two in diagnosis over sending to CDC.

The governor just declared a public health emergency in the state. I guess that gives him more power for quarantines and others measures for containment. And to spend  money where needed.

One is in a hospital five miles from me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Wow you guys sure get defensive if anyone invades you’re safe space of conspiracy after conspiracy....knock yourself out. I only attempted to clarify misinformation I thought was accidental but turns out was just more blame Trump garbage. Should have known better.  We get it, everything is Trump’s (or any department you can blame him for) fault....even deadly viruses that originate in China. Have fun!

It wasn't misinformation...and it wasn't blaming him for the virus either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The General said:

No way this doesn’t get into the 1000 cases range within a week or so right?

My work which doesn’t shut down for anything just sent out a email saying if you were in contact with someone traveling in Asia, Italy stay home for 2 weeks.

Things gonna get nutty. 

I talked with several people at church this weekend who still think that this is all much ado about nothing, "the seasonal flu is worse," etc.  (Nobody mentioned the hippopotamus menace, thankfully).  So there are still a lot of people out there with what I view as their heads in the sand.  My town of ~20,000 has one hospital with literally like 12 beds.  We can't handle any kind of outbreak that puts people on respirators.  As a healthy 47 year old, I'm not at all worried about my own personal health or that of my wife or my late-teen/early-20s kids.  But we are in for a serious disruption of daily life if they shut down the schools and tell people to self-quarantine because of medical triage.  

I have a very strong feeling that the coronavirus is play out like: nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, oh hey this is becoming a thing, OMG EVERYTHING IS SHUT DOWN.  

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I talked with several people at church this weekend who still think that this is all much ado about nothing, "the seasonal flu is worse," etc.  (Nobody mentioned the hippopotamus menace, thankfully).  So there are still a lot of people out there with what I view as their heads in the sand.  My town of ~20,000 has one hospital with literally like 12 beds.  We can't handle any kind of outbreak that puts people on respirators.  As a healthy 47 year old, I'm not at all worried about my own personal health or that of my wife or my late-teen/early-20s kids.  But we are in for a serious disruption of daily life if they shut down the schools and tell people to self-quarantine because of medical triage.  

I have a very strong feeling that the coronavirus is play out like: nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, oh hey this is becoming a thing, OMG EVERYTHING IS SHUT DOWN.  

Was talking to my wife last night about this.  I have a friend living in SE China a good ways away from the origin and have been following his experience via his blog.  I don't think it's a stretch to say when all is said and done, there are more cases of this virus in the US than China.  I can't see people in the US doing the things required to stop this thing from spreading communally.  People aren't allowed to leave their homes and if they do, only one at a time for food.  While they are out, they are stopped and tested for fevers 5-6 times just going to the store and back.  I simply can't see the people here NOT being of the "gubment ain't gonna tell me what I can do!!!" variety.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I talked with several people at church this weekend who still think that this is all much ado about nothing, "the seasonal flu is worse," etc.  (Nobody mentioned the hippopotamus menace, thankfully).  So there are still a lot of people out there with what I view as their heads in the sand.  My town of ~20,000 has one hospital with literally like 12 beds.  We can't handle any kind of outbreak that puts people on respirators.  As a healthy 47 year old, I'm not at all worried about my own personal health or that of my wife or my late-teen/early-20s kids.  But we are in for a serious disruption of daily life if they shut down the schools and tell people to self-quarantine because of medical triage.  

I have a very strong feeling that the coronavirus is play out like: nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, oh hey this is becoming a thing, OMG EVERYTHING IS SHUT DOWN.  

I'm taking care of my 83 year old Dad. Saturday I talked to his pharmacist and will be picking up a 60 day supply of Dad's meds today. I am seriously considering taking some time off if the virus shows up in my area.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the surgeon general is telling people not to buy masks. The CDC is telling people...

Quote

 

Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

 

Ummmm....How do you expect people to not want to buy masks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot stress enough how unbelievably stupid it is that people are being charged three thousand dollars to be tested for the coronavirus.

If there is ever a function for government intervention to pay for healthcare of any kind, it is testing people for a potential pandemic.  Good God.

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

So the surgeon general is telling people not to buy masks. The CDC is telling people...

Quote

 

Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

 

Ummmm....How do you expect people to not want to buy masks?

I haven't followed any of this administration's comments since I found out Pence was running the show and Kudlow said it was fine.  I am foregoing all the nonsense and using common sense in it's place.  That said, I am curious what the Surgeon General's rationale was to instruct people NOT to buy masks?  I mean, I get saying something like, "you can buy masks, but we don't think that's necessary" or something of the like but that's a bit different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see this discussed - 

 

Coronavirus patient released by CDC later tests positive again in San Antonio

San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg criticized the Center for Disease Control in a Facebook post Sunday after the CDC reportedly released a patient who later tested positive for COVID-19, known as coronavirus.

According to the mayor, the patient was quarantined and fully treated after contracting COVID-19. After treatment, the patient tested negative for the virus twice and was discharged from the Texas Center for Infectious Disease in San Antonio on Saturday before a third test was returned positive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I haven't followed any of this administration's comments since I found out Pence was running the show and Kudlow said it was fine.  I am foregoing all the nonsense and using common sense in it's place.  That said, I am curious what the Surgeon General's rationale was to instruct people NOT to buy masks?  I mean, I get saying something like, "you can buy masks, but we don't think that's necessary" or something of the like but that's a bit different.

It isn't just the surgeon general. Tons of interviews with doctors and WHO officials and whoever else saying the same thing. 

I get that doctors need them more and that if doctors cant get them, then they will spread more diseases as well as corona virus. But that's not the mask being ineffective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mask doesn't prevent a healthy person from contracting this virus but can help infected people from spreading it.  The masks are designed to keep water droplets in which is how the virus is transmitted.  The virus is not currently believed to be airborne contaminant. So healthy people buying up the supply of masks are not helping themselves but are hurting healthcare workers who are in shortened supply of the masks the require for their work.

Edited by dutch
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I haven't followed any of this administration's comments since I found out Pence was running the show and Kudlow said it was fine.  I am foregoing all the nonsense and using common sense in it's place.  That said, I am curious what the Surgeon General's rationale was to instruct people NOT to buy masks?  I mean, I get saying something like, "you can buy masks, but we don't think that's necessary" or something of the like but that's a bit different.

Wearing masks makes you touch your face more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Wearing masks makes you touch your face more.

Wearing a mask actually helps people avoid touching their nose/mouth more because there is a mask in the way.  Instead of saying don't wear a mask, how about communicating how to properly fit a mask.

You know like this video produced by Singapore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxpvDVo_NI&feature=youtu.be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, KPD said:

Wearing a mask actually helps people avoid touching their nose/mouth more because there is a mask in the way.  Instead of saying don't wear a mask, how about communicating how to properly fit a mask.

You know like this video produced by Singapore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoxpvDVo_NI&feature=youtu.be

I am trying to find it, but I read one doctor that said you are more likely to touch the mask when it feels uncomfortable and that this is dangerous because if the virus was on the front of the mask it is now on your hand and yo could touch your eyes or door handles and stuff. 

Ummmm......

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, The General said:

No way this doesn’t get into the 1000 cases range within a week or so right?

13 hours ago, The General said:

 

except we don't have many test kits yet, so no

there were 2 docs on cnbc this morning saying they think we already have over 1000 cases but we can't know that for maybe a couple more weeks because the cdc dropped the ball and the first test kits they provided didn't work. they said that put us 2 to 3 weeks behind where we should be.

and, holy ####, the health dept. spokesperson for Allegheny County in PA (Pittsburgh and surrounding) was just on the noon news and said they were told it would be about 2 months till they can get test kits, though the state has some.

Edited by song
betterment
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, song said:

except we don't have many test kits yet, so no

there were 2 docs on cnbc this morning saying they think we already have over 1000 cases but we can't know that for maybe a couple more weeks because the cdc dropped the ball and the first test kits they provided didn't work. they said that put us 2 to 3 weeks behind where we should be.

and, holy ####, the health dept. spokesperson for Allegheny County in PA (Pittsburgh and surrounding) was just on the noon news and said they were told it would be about 2 months till they can get test kits, though the state has some.

Yeah, some people royally screwed this up.

WHO put out a standard protocol for testing for this virus.  It was well publicized.  However, labs in the US were not allowed to use the WHO protocol, and instead had to use the CDC test kits, which a) were in short supply, and b) didn't work.  It was pure hubris on the part of the CDC to insist on their methodology for testing while there was a proven protocol that the rest of the world was using.  Furthermore, since not many tests were being done and those that were being done couldn't be relied upon, the number of positive tests in the US was extremely low.  This meant that decision makers at CDC, NIH, WH, etc. didn't have an accurate picture of the situation.  Thus, they believed that containment through stopping travel from China was effective.  Hint: It wasn't.

I find it hard to believe that there weren't tons of public health processionals ringing the alarm that the US should be testing testing testing.  Ramping up test capacity and contact tracing capabilities should have been the number one and number two priorities for this crisis.  Instead, the decision makers sat on their hands and waited for the outbreak to plant seeds on US soil.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

:(

https://twitter.com/diagnosinghc/status/1234494148108939264

A Florida man, Osmel Martinez Azcue, who returned from China and found himself becoming sick. Because of the risk of coronavirus, he did the responsible thing & sought medical attention. In the end, it turned out not to be coronavirus — but he was billed $3,270.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had a planning call at work.  We had a scheduled annual meeting with about 50 managers from around the country to come for conference for a week at the end of March.  We are probably going to cancel it. Although we are NOT cancelling because of the virus, of course.  It's just not a good time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, squistion said:

:(

https://twitter.com/diagnosinghc/status/1234494148108939264

A Florida man, Osmel Martinez Azcue, who returned from China and found himself becoming sick. Because of the risk of coronavirus, he did the responsible thing & sought medical attention. In the end, it turned out not to be coronavirus — but he was billed $3,270.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

A potential pandemic = potentially record profits! Whoo hoo!

Hey, too bad if you can't afford proper medical attention or don't have insurance, there's profits to be made off the sick!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, squistion said:

:(

https://twitter.com/diagnosinghc/status/1234494148108939264

A Florida man, Osmel Martinez Azcue, who returned from China and found himself becoming sick. Because of the risk of coronavirus, he did the responsible thing & sought medical attention. In the end, it turned out not to be coronavirus — but he was billed $3,270.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

Cost and lack of HC are going to exacerbate this a ton. 

People scarping by at hourly jobs are going to go to work and not go to doctor.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The General said:

Cost and lack of HC are going to exacerbate this a ton. 

People scarping by at hourly jobs are going to go to work and not go to doctor.

How can they expect normal citizens to contribute to eliminating the potential risk of person-to-person spread if hospitals are waiting to charge us $3,270 for a simple blood test and a nasal swab?” he said.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html#storylink=cpy

 

Yup.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...