What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasnt even started yet and you want to give up.  
Who said anything about giving up? I'm all in on the social distance to flatten the curve move for as long as we can handle it. The fact is, we don't have an infinite amount of time for that to be the strategy.

You guys have your heads in the sand if you think our economy can withstand these measures into the summer. Like it or not, there will have to be some sort of balancing act required for the economy vs. the disease. The clear hate for Trump in here (this thread is like an echo chamber) seems to drown out the fact that he's wrong not about that.

It's a horrible situation.

He may not be handling it to many of your standards in the public eye (if we're being honest, few of you would credit him for it if he was), but it's a huge problem that he's going to have to delicately handle in the coming weeks.
I, for one, would absolutely love if he turned on a dime and started bringing the goods. Drop the buffoonery and be a leader ... too much to ask? 

You guys have your heads in the sand if you think our economy can withstand these measures into the summer. Like it or not, there will have to be some sort of balancing act required for the economy vs. the disease. The clear hate for Trump in here (this thread is like an echo chamber) seems to drown out the fact that he's not wrong about that.

He may not be handling it to many of your standards in the public eye (if we're being honest, few of you would credit him for it if he was), but it's a huge problem that he's going to have to delicately handle in the coming weeks.
No one has denied the economy is in the tank and it is expected to be through the end of the year.  Problem is, if he's sacrificing public health and safety on the false promise of cranking up the economy, it's not only mind-boggling in its callousness, it's also going to fail as more and more people get sick and die.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree with all of this.  He's in an incredibly difficult position.  There is probably no good solution.  But he inspires absolutely zero confidence.
I felt a lot of empathy for Trump today (which is ironic, since I don’t think he feels much empathy for anyone.) But I really did. I sense his frustration. I’m frustrated too. There’s no good way out of this, 

Who said anything about giving up? I'm all in on the social distance to flatten the curve move for as long as we can handle it. The fact is, we don't have an infinite amount of time for that to be the strategy.
No public health expert has implied an infinite timeline.  But, any relaxing of social distancing within the next few weeks is a death wish to tens of thousands of Americans.

Maybe he should have started earlier instead of constantly downplaying it and complaining coverage of it was a hoax.
Maybe? But even if he did it would have been widely criticized here. That's my point. Do we really need to round up all the posts about how his ban on travel was racist? Couldn't wait to attack him. I don't even like the guy, but I can see through all of this. Sometimes it feels like folks in here would rather watch our country sink into the unknown than give that guy credit.

but it's a huge problem that he's going to have to delicately handle in the coming weeks.
While I fundamentally agree with your stance about balancing the long term effects on our economy and managing the virus.  The quoted part of your post is the problem, what has Trump ever in his life handled delicately?  He the very definition of “blunt object“.  

But I also think that in the end all this talk about defying the medical experts is just that- talk. I believe that at this point most of us are going to stay at home until the doctors tell us it’s safe again. The doctors, not Trump or the politicians. If the economy collapses as a result, then it collapses. 

You guys have your heads in the sand if you think our economy can withstand these measures into the summer. Like it or not, there will have to be some sort of balancing act required for the economy vs. the disease. The clear hate for Trump in here (this thread is like an echo chamber) seems to drown out the fact that he's not wrong about that.

Or we just have Pence do these and the experts. I agree with Pence on almost nothing politically and he is 100 times better at this than Trump.

You can't watch these and think Trump should be the messenger. Seriously.

What anti-Trump people think is irrelevant to whatever happens during the next 7 months.  One person is positioned to lead us out of this crisis,  AND HE CAN'T STEP UP.

We have nothing but time now. The economy is in the toilet, and Trump's efforts to drag it out prematurely are the opposite of what we need. This isn't going to be over in 2 weeks, it probably won't be over until summer at the very earliest. Is the economy going to suffer? Yes, for a little while. However, it won't be permanently that way.

Or we just have Pence do these and the experts. I agree with Pence on almost nothing politically and he is 100 times better at this than Trump.

You can't watch these and think Trump should be the messenger. Seriously.
I agree that Mike Pence has done an admirable job, given the circumstances. No arguments from me on that sentiment.

Maybe? But even if he did it would have been widely criticized here. That's my point. Do we really need to round up all the posts about how his ban on travel was racist? Couldn't wait to attack him. I don't even like the guy, but I can see through all of this. Sometimes it feels like folks in here would rather watch our country sink into the unknown than give that guy credit.
I thought it was racist. Had nothing to do with some need to attack Trump, I thought it was racist because I thought it was racist. Still do. 

Maybe?

We have nothing but time now. The economy is in the toilet, and Trump's efforts to drag it out prematurely are the opposite of what we need. This isn't going to be over in 2 weeks, it probably won't be over until summer at the very earliest. Is the economy going to suffer? Yes, for a little while. However, it won't be permanently that way.
I'd love to see you show your work on this. If we do this into the summer, nearly every small business in America will be out of business.

The fact we can't seem to come to a resolution on the most basic form of initial relief for them and their workers should tell you exactly how this is going to go.

He has earned every bit of the vitriol by his words and actions and inaction.

I thought it was racist. Had nothing to do with some need to attack Trump, I thought it was racist because I thought it was racist. Still do. 
To clarify... you thought stopping travel from the source of the virus was a bad policy in regards to trying to prevent the spread to our nation?

We'll see. Personally, I'm rooting like hell for him to rise to the occasion. We all should be.
I don't believe anyone here wants him to fail. I know I certainly don't. That's like rooting for the iceberg in Titanic. However, seeing his response to this crisis is anything but encouraging. He keeps trying to focus on the economy and not the issue of health, he tweets out bad medical advice, and he contradicts trained medical professionals on what to do.

This is largely true of any leader though.  Had it been Obama up there today the people on the right would be blasting away, Bush, Clinton, Kennedy, Washington, etc etc etc. all the same.  Heavy is the crown.  Now Trumps polarizing nature exaggerates this for sure but it comes with the territory.  

People have been freaked out since that chinese doctors video and subsequent death.

We should have put the clamps down at that point and gotten our hospitals prepared.

This has been a slow motion car crash.

We'll see. Personally, I'm rooting like hell for him to rise to the occasion. We all should be.
Everyone is rooting for the country to do well.

That has nothing to do with listening to him ramble like a child up there and then wondering why people are bring critical of his leadership.

Lol this is insane. We aren’t even halfway up our climb yet. Come back to me on the economy when 5000 New Yorkers are dead next week. Christ. 

To clarify... you thought stopping travel from the source of the virus was a bad policy in regards to trying to prevent the spread to our nation?
No- I’m sorry, thought you were referring to the other travel ban. 

About this one, I don’t know. I think it turned out to be the right move, but it would not surprise me iIf Trump’s original motivation involved racism or xenophobia. 

What are you talking about?  He downplayed the virus for weeks.  Time that should have been spent preparing and building supplies.  To order acquire testing to accurately measure the spread of the virus.  Now he is up there spreading dangerous misinformation and other lies about what the response has been.

And, yes, he has made racist remarks about it to deflect from his failings.

You're right. But we now have to wait longer for a return to normalcy because of poor decision making when information was first brought up. Instead of addressing the issue of was dismissed. Decisions have consequences - and now we are here.

We will recover, but given the decisions made in February it probably won't be this year. That's a problem for Trump - and it has nothing to do with anything but himself. Forcing a return to normalcy before the spread is minimized will have dire public health consequences. We can't just grind our way through this problem. It's here and the only option on the table is to sit at home and wait it out. Since we arent doing that now it will only delay that return even longer. 

I'd love to see you show your work on this. If we do this into the summer, nearly every small business in America will be out of business.

The fact we can't seem to come to a resolution on the most basic form of initial relief for them and their workers should tell you exactly how this is going to go.
If we stop this in a week, people will die. People who otherwise might live. Small businesses might go under, but if there's enough of a demand, they'll make their way back, especially if they're providing important services. As for the stimulus bills, they're packed with more pork than Hormel. They need to fix that.

Not buying this. It would have been the first presidential thing he's done to roll up the sleeves and rally cry that the US must prepare. It was a huge opportunity for him.
You're so blinded by your distaste that you think it'd be the first presidential thing he's done in 3+ years. Enough said.

A.  His travel ban was racist.

B.  Those who criticize him are doing so out of the highest form of patriotism and love of country.  We want him held to account and out of office precisely because we don't want to continue watching our country sink into the unknown.  

As far as I'm concerned, this country is unrecognizable now, and I fear we'll never get it back.  

Boris Johnson is doing what Trump should have done a week ago: he is ordering British to stay at home. He said that soldiers will arrest people if they are found outside their home without a valid reason. The plan is stricter than anything we have here in that it has specific hours for grocery shopping and other essential needs. 

But I also think that in the end all this talk about defying the medical experts is just that- talk. I believe that at this point most of us are going to stay at home until the doctors tell us it’s safe again. The doctors, not Trump or the politicians. If the economy collapses as a result, then it collapses. 
But its talk that makes people also ignore them and go out and not follow the simple things to get past this thing.

Lol this is insane. We aren’t even halfway up our climb yet. Come back to me on the economy when 5000 New Yorkers are dead next week. Christ. 
We should totally focus on New York and other hot spots. I agree with that. Fight it like hell for as long as it takes. We should social distance everywhere else. You're borderline delusional if you think we can send relatively healthy areas of the country into quarantine status for months and rise out of it with anything other than complete and utter financial ruin.

A.  His travel ban was racist.

B.  Those who criticize him are doing so out of the highest form of patriotism and love of country.  We want him held to account and out of office precisely because we don't want to continue watching our country sink into the unknown.  

As far as I'm concerned, this country is unrecognizable now, and I fear we'll never get it back.  
A. You're going to have to explain yourself on this one. Stopping travel from the source of the virus is basically step 1 to mitigating its spread here.

B. I know you think that's true. I don't question that. I'm just telling you that you're so caught up in it that you guys are like the boy who cried wolf. People stop listening to you when you nag on every move he makes. Pick your spots. As I've said... I don't even like the guy and I think it's kinda hard to navigate a thread in here.

I’m relatively unknown here I think. I’m not a banned alias, I promise. I’ve probably posted more politics here in the past week than my previous 12 years, because this is a pivotal time and well, I have some free time until I go back to work on Wednesday.

I’m not a Trump guy, but I have given him some credit, especially since he started taking this crisis seriously. I fully admit, this is a ridiculously tough spot for him, it would be for any president. These past few days/weeks have seemed like months or a year since our world has been flipped on its ear. But, in reality it’s only been a short time. Getting this bill done, and getting it done correctly is going to be pivotal. It’s the big gun they’re going to fire at the real economy, not the stock market. Put the money in the hands of those who need it. That should be his focus tonight. I don’t have a lot of hope that it’s going to turn out like that, but I’d love to wake up to some good news tomorrow. I’m sure we all would. Put all the other stuff that’s sitting on McConnell’s desk aside and get it done. We can all at least agree on this I hope. 

You're right. But we now have to wait longer for a return to normalcy because of poor decision making when information was first brought up. Instead of addressing the issue of was dismissed. Decisions have consequences - and now we are here.

We will recover, but given the decisions made in February it probably won't be this year. That's a problem for Trump - and it has nothing to do with anything but himself. Forcing a return to normalcy before the spread is minimized will have dire public health consequences. We can't just grind our way through this problem. It's here and the only option on the table is to sit at home and wait it out. Since we arent doing that now it will only delay that return even longer. 
I agree with most of this. It's a damn tough spot right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're borderline delusional if you think we can send relatively healthy areas of the country into quarantine status for months and rise out of it with anything other than complete and utter financial ruin.
Do you know how I know you're not a math major?

We should totally focus on New York and other hot spots. I agree with that. Fight it like hell for as long as it takes. We should social distance everywhere else. You're borderline delusional if you think we can send relatively healthy areas of the country into quarantine status for months and rise out of it with anything other than complete and utter financial ruin.
Narrator:  "Relatively" healthy areas of the country will no longer enjoy "relatively" status if you ease up social distancing. 

It's as though there's magical thinking that there are no data points across the globe that have established this.

Narrator:  "Relatively" healthy areas of the country will no longer enjoy "relatively" status if you ease up social distancing. 

It's as though there's magical thinking that there are no data points across the globe that have established this.
Except I said... right there in my post... "We should social distance everywhere else." You can take social distance measures and still attempt to restart an economy.

I’m relatively unknown here I think. I’m not a banned alias, I promise. I’ve probably posted more politics here in the past week than my previous 12 years, because this is a pivotal time and well, I have some free time until I go back to work on Wednesday.

I’m not a Trump guy, but I have given him some credit, especially since he started taking this crisis seriously. I fully admit, this is a ridiculously tough spot for him, it would be for any president. These past few days/weeks have seemed like months or a year since our world has been flipped on its ear. But, in reality it’s only been a short time. Getting this bill done, and getting it done correctly is going to be pivotal. It’s the big gun they’re going to fire at the real economy, not the stock market. Put the money in the hands of those who need it. That should be his focus tonight. I don’t have a lot of hope that it’s going to turn out like that, but I’d love to wake up to some good news tomorrow. I’m sure we all would. Put all the other stuff that’s sitting on McConnell’s desk aside and get it done. We can all at least agree on this I hope. 
Yep, priority one is passing a bill void of corporate bailouts and democratic pork.

Them immediately go back to public health being the primary decision making driver. If more people do what they're supposed to do then we can return to normal before the bottom falls out. Whenever that is. 

A. You're going to have to explain yourself on this one. Stopping travel from the source of the virus is basically step 1 to mitigating its spread here.

B. I know you think that's true. I don't question that. I'm just telling you that you're so caught up in it that you guys are like the boy who cried wolf. People stop listening to you when you nag on every move he makes. Pick your spots. As I've said... I don't even like the guy and I think it's kinda hard to navigate a thread in here.
A.  I thought you were talking about the original travel ban.

B.  I've picked my spots.  This is one.  

honestly it doesnt matter what trump says....the governors have taken over....thank god the gov. michigan shut us down....now my wife will be allowed to work from home....we aint going nowhere for 3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread