What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:goodposting:

Have to love all the Monday Morning QB’s in here that are about to vote for Joe Biden that wants to keep flying in everyone from China he can.....the party that keeps crying wolf. The faux rage, AHHHHH!
I would've had tests ready, hospitals ready (they're buying an econolodge in ####### seattle to house patients), I wouldn't intentionally be downplaying it, I wouldn't have Mike Pence as the face to the media, I wouldn't have Dr Fauci's comments vetted by Pence before speaking to the media (which is verbatim what he said at the presser yesterday), I wouldn't tell the public that we have maybe 15 cases and prob zero real soon (when I knew for a fact this was incorrect, what he said at his initial presser), I'd be reacting much more aggressively and thinking much further out into the future, I wouldn't need business leaders at tech companies and banks to tell their employees to wfh, I'd say it myself, I wouldn't have the public comparing something that the WHO says has a 3.4% death rate as the flu, I wouldn't criticize the Fed about rates being that money is already cheap and abundant and doesn't address this issue one iota...

I can go on forever, but this PSF is divisive and a Trump versus "them" bull#### forum, it's pathetic - I'm completely impartial and I'd criticize anyone for botching something like this... This is an American issue, it's important. What do you think happens when China comes out of this healthy and fully online well before us, while we're then stuck in a medical crisis? You think they like being number 2?

I would've had tests ready, hospitals ready (they're buying an econolodge in ####### seattle to house patients), I wouldn't intentionally be downplaying it, I wouldn't have Mike Pence as the face to the media, I wouldn't have Dr Fauci's comments vetted by Pence before speaking to the media (which is verbatim what he said at the presser yesterday), I wouldn't tell the public that we have maybe 15 cases and prob zero real soon (when I knew for a fact this was incorrect, what he said at his initial presser), I'd be reacting much more aggressively and thinking much further out into the future, I wouldn't need business leaders at tech companies and banks to tell their employees to wfh, I'd say it myself, I wouldn't have the public comparing something that the WHO says has a 3.4% death rate as the flu, I wouldn't criticize the Fed about rates being that money is already cheap and abundant and doesn't address this issue one iota...

I can go on forever, but this PSF is divisive and a Trump versus "them" bull#### forum, it's pathetic - I'm completely impartial and I'd criticize anyone for botching something like this... This is an American issue, it's important. What do you think happens when China comes out of this healthy and fully online well before us, while we're then stuck in a medical crisis? You think they like being number 2?
Dude, go crack a beer. Between this and the stock thread you need to unwind a bit. 

I get it with the MMQB schtick, all you guys would have crushed this as soon as the first case hit. 🙄 

The world isn’t ending from this, get some rest  though it will be a marathon but we will get through it.  

Dude, go crack a beer. Between this and the stock thread you need to unwind a bit. 

I get it with the MMQB schtick, all you guys would have crushed this as soon as the first case hit. 🙄 

The world isn’t ending from this, get some rest  though it will be a marathon but we will get through it.  
We're thoroughly unprepared, much more so than people realize, that's my concern. The POTUS shouldn't downplay it, the virus isn't his fault, but what we do now is on him, and downplaying something that the WHO said, is unbelievably irresponsible! 

We're thoroughly unprepared, much more so than people realize, that's my concern. The POTUS shouldn't downplay it, the virus isn't his fault, but what we do now is on him, and downplaying something that the WHO said, is unbelievably irresponsible! 
If you were looking for a sweet teleprompter speech he’s definitely not your guy. Vaccines take what 18 months for approval? Not sure anything they could have done would make you happy, hope you can cope and get through these times. I wouldn’t let the hysteria in here get you too riled up, we will make it through this. 

Peak Trump Hatred Syndrome.

Calling for the president and his family to be infected with coronavirus.
I did not call for them to get infected.  I called for them to show the courage of their convictions, or their father's conviction, and to take the risks the rest of us potentially face.   This would expose the President's hypocrisy if they were unwilling to do so.  It might also have caused him to think about the issue.  Exposure does not = infection.  Your bias caused you to make a leap, a leap I did not call for.  I do not want an elderly person in clearly poor health, in the high risk category, to actually become infected, I wanted him to think, to think in a real world scenario, one that effects him directly, not hypothetically.  Also, the entire post was a bit tongue in cheek, something you might have decided to recognize if you could step back just a bit from your passion.  No matter, I admire passion even when I do not agree with it or understand it, at least I do so long as it is not destructive.

You lobbied to get me suspended. Congratulations, it worked.  You cut off debate, again congratulations.

In your subsequent post you implied there was favoritism.  I agree. You got away with using  a phrase guaranteed to cause suspension, and yet you were not suspended.  Clear favoritism. Not, of course, in the direction you suggested, but clearly there it is.  maybe that is your prerogative, given your relationship to the site.  Maybe it should be otherwise. Regardless, I will not characterize my feelings about it, I just note it.

I will not call for your suspension as you called for mine.

I am going to have a nice season, guy.  I am going somewhere where the climate suits my clothes and the water tastes like wine. I thank Joe and the various Mods for all they have done over the years.  I have looked around and there is not a better place on the net for me, but this place is not for me.  I shall miss many here. Best wishes to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to have a nice season, guy.  I am going somewhere where the climate suits my clothes and the water tastes like wine. I thank Joe and the various Mods for all they have done over the years.  I have looked around and there is not a better place on the net for me, but this place is not for me.  I shall miss many here. Best wishes to all.
I hope you reconsider. Every time a good poster is chased away, the bad guys win.

I did not call for them to get infected.  I called for them to show the courage of their convictions, or their father's conviction, and to take the risks the rest of us potentially face.   This would expose the President's hypocrisy if they were unwilling to do so.  It might also have caused him to think about the issue.  Exposure does not = infection.  Your bias caused you to make a leap, a leap I did not call for.  I do not want an elderly person in clearly poor health, in the high risk category, to actually become infected, I wanted him to think, to think in a real world scenario, one that effects him directly, not hypothetically.  Also, the entire post was a bit tongue in cheek, something you might have decided to recognize if you could step back just a bit from your passion.  No matter, I admire passion even when I do not agree with it or understand it, at least I do so long as it is not destructive.

You lobbied to get me suspended. Congratulations, it worked.  You cut off debate, again congratulations.

In your subsequent post you implied there was favoritism.  I agree. You got away with using  a phrase guaranteed to cause suspension, and yet you were not suspended.  Clear favoritism. Not, of course, in the direction you suggested, but clearly there it is.  maybe that is your prerogative, given your relationship to the site.  Maybe it should be otherwise. Regardless, I will not characterize my feelings about it, I just note it.

Well, ####. 

DW, you are a good man. And a good lawyer. And an irreplaceable voice.  I shall miss you.  And, I think, not be far behind. Save me a glass of water if it is as you say.  I’ll bring the wine in case it isn’t. 

Trump desperately trying to convince people/businesses to keep spending money.

@atrupar

Trump to Hannity on WHO saying coronavirus death rate is 3.4%: "I think the 3.4% number is really a false number. Now this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations ... personally, I'd say the number is way under 1%."

Astoundingly irresponsible.https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1235411751950221312?s=21
Un. F-ing. Real. 

How can anyone possibly defend this guy.  This is the GD POTUS saying this crazy ####.  So incredibly reckless and stupid I can’t even wrap my head around it.  

@atrupar

Trump to Hannity on WHO saying coronavirus death rate is 3.4%: "I think the 3.4% number is really a false number. Now this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations ... personally, I'd say the number is way under 1%."

Astoundingly irresponsible.https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1235411751950221312?s=21
Nero has a kindred spirit.

:hot: :hot: :hot: :violin: :hot: :hot: :hot:

As always, well said.

Seriously we tell people for the common cold to stay home from work.  now we are telling people with a damn virus that has killed people so go to work and just act like nothing happened.  Maybe just wish or pray it away I believe he said.   he is even mentioning deaths in places that isn't even happening he is so incredibly reckless

I would say what i really think Trump is but then people who don't believe what they say and only post things to  "own the libs"  will complain and then I will be gone from this entire board and not just the politics side.

Well, ####. 

DW, you are a good man. And a good lawyer. And an irreplaceable voice.  I shall miss you.  And, I think, not be far behind. Save me a glass of water if it is as you say.  I’ll bring the wine in case it isn’t. 
Well, this is depressing :kicksrock:  

@atrupar

Frank Drebin would be proud. 

One of my favorite posters 

In that particular clip, Trump isn't saying that people should go to work with the virus.  He's saying that many of them do go to work with it.  Which is absolutely true.
How can you tell?  Serious question.  Did google come out with a translator?

Someone up thread, might have been you IK, made a comment about how this could be the issue that rallies Trump to victory.  That comment gave me pause, because it's absolutely correct the more I think about it.  Then I watch the clips and listen to the soundbytes and am just left :mellow:  

What I am watching and hearing is completely surreal.  

So let’s separate this question into 4 parts: 

1. What the government did, or did not do, in preparation for this virus. 

2. What the government is doing now. 

3. What President Trump is doing. 

4. What President Trump is saying. 

Without going into detail in this post, I am critical of #1, have few complaints about #2, have no complaints about #3, and have significant complaints about #4. 

In that particular clip, Trump isn't saying that people should go to work with the virus.  He's saying that many of them do go to work with it.  Which is absolutely true.
I would split the baby on this one - having listened to the clip, you are correct that he is not directing people to go to work, but I think he is suggesting that if you have mild symptoms, its ok to go to work - because you'll be fine.

The danger, of course, is that you spread the virus to someone else who may not have a favorable outcome.

And - I think people are making too much of the "Corona Flu" comment - clearly a mis-speak by Trump, and he corrected himself.  I just chalk that up to extemporaneous speaking, and not an indication of anything else. 

IvanKaramazov said:
I listened to the clip.

I don't like Trump any more than the next guy.  I hope he loses in November.  That's no reason to willfully misinterpret what he's saying, which is what the post I quoted was doing.
I hadn't read the tweet above the clip.  I see what you're saying.  I don't know what he's saying though about not counting people who have it as part of the people that have it because they sit around or go to work or some such.  If I cared, I could probably go get context, but I'm sure I'd be pissed at myself for having wasted the time.  My comment was around the word salad and the point he was trying to make..sorry for the confusion.  

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Sad that we let people that troll with known falsehoods run off great posters like this.

IvanKaramazov said:
He’s suggesting people can go to work with no consequences. It’s not that you can live your life and survive, it’s that you can infect others. Interpreting Trump’s telephonic brain into something rational doesn’t help that he’s speaking to millions who just hear that people who don’t die don’t count against the statistics and don’t pose a risk.

Joe Mammy said:
Some people just sit around and get better. Some people go to work. Oh yeah, I think one died in NY too.
Well that's what happens when people don't have insurance to go to the doctor.  They set around sick or just go to work sick.

Sinn Fein said:
I would split the baby on this one - having listened to the clip, you are correct that he is not directing people to go to work, but I think he is suggesting that if you have mild symptoms, its ok to go to work - because you'll be fine.

The danger, of course, is that you spread the virus to someone else who may not have a favorable outcome.

And - I think people are making too much of the "Corona Flu" comment - clearly a mis-speak by Trump, and he corrected himself.  I just chalk that up to extemporaneous speaking, and not an indication of anything else. 
Bingo.  He should be saying, if you're experiencing symptoms, stay home if possible.   I know that's complicated for people that don't have paid sick days (thanks republicans), but if you do or if you can wfh, absolutely do.   Of course this is just another pathetic attempt on his part to make it appear that things are under control.  

fantasycurse42 said:
The USA is also more unprepared than most developed countries.  American exceptionalism, heck yeah!

People in the thread criticized a comment that the death rate might be less than 1%.  I was under the impression that that is probably true after reading this article a couple days ago:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china
This fits with my (admittedly very imperfect) understanding of the situation too.  From what I've read, Trump is very likely right that the "real" underlying death rate associated with coronavirus is well below the current 3.4% reported by WHO.  And he's right that the reason why that number is inflated is because we don't have the correct denominator.  There are an unknown but non-trivial number of people infected with coronavirus who don't know it.  They think they have a bad cold, they go about their daily lives accordingly, and they recover.  My sense is that none of this is at all controversial.  It is extremely likely that Trump's advisors explained it to him this way, he repeated it in a moderately poorly-spoken fashion, and folks are proceeding to interpret his comments in the least charitable light possible because Trump.

This fits with my (admittedly very imperfect) understanding of the situation too.  From what I've read, Trump is very likely right that the "real" underlying death rate associated with coronavirus is well below the current 3.4% reported by WHO.  And he's right that the reason why that number is inflated is because we don't have the correct denominator.  There are an unknown but non-trivial number of people infected with coronavirus who don't know it.  They think they have a bad cold, they go about their daily lives accordingly, and they recover.  My sense is that none of this is at all controversial.  It is extremely likely that Trump's advisors explained it to him this way, he repeated it in a moderately poorly-spoken fashion, and folks are proceeding to interpret his comments in the least charitable light possible because Trump.
I agree.

But, with this caveat - those same caveats apply to a "normal" flu virus - where the number of people with the flu is likely under-reported, at probably the same levels as Covid-19.  So, comparing "death-rates" is probably appropriate, and a reasonable comparison.

If the media stopped covering this thing entirely, just stopped mentioning it, Trump would no longer feel jealous of the attention it's getting, or might even forget it exists because it's not on TV, and possibly stop "helping." Then whatever professionals and scientists are still left could just deal with it properly.

@Ditkaless Wonders

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE.

Especially because of this. You contribute more to this forum than nearly anyone else, myself especially included.

If a poster whose style is reminiscent of Alex Jones and Newt Gingrich's lovechild having a mescaline-fueled utopian fever dream is allowed to chase off quality men such as yourself then we are truly lost. And the bad actors will be empowered to continue and to escalate. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread