Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

James Daulton

10 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I did not call for them to get infected.  I called for them to show the courage of their convictions, or their father's conviction, and to take the risks the rest of us potentially face.   This would expose the President's hypocrisy if they were unwilling to do so.  It might also have caused him to think about the issue.  Exposure does not = infection.  Your bias caused you to make a leap, a leap I did not call for.  I do not want an elderly person in clearly poor health, in the high risk category, to actually become infected, I wanted him to think, to think in a real world scenario, one that effects him directly, not hypothetically.  Also, the entire post was a bit tongue in cheek, something you might have decided to recognize if you could step back just a bit from your passion.  No matter, I admire passion even when I do not agree with it or understand it, at least I do so long as it is not destructive.

You lobbied to get me suspended. Congratulations, it worked.  You cut off debate, again congratulations.

In your subsequent post you implied there was favoritism.  I agree. You got away with using  a phrase guaranteed to cause suspension, and yet you were not suspended.  Clear favoritism. Not, of course, in the direction you suggested, but clearly there it is.  maybe that is your prerogative, given your relationship to the site.  Maybe it should be otherwise. Regardless, I will not characterize my feelings about it, I just note it.

I will not call for your suspension as you called for mine.

I am going to have a nice season, guy.  I am going somewhere where the climate suits my clothes and the water tastes like wine. I thank Joe and the various Mods for all they have done over the years.  I have looked around and there is not a better place on the net for me, but this place is not for me.  I shall miss many here. Best wishes to all.

This is what happens when people espousing contemptible ideas, spouting contemptible rhetoric, and supporting contemptible "leaders" are shielded from social sanction.

We achieve some kind of superficial "civility" while everything becomes more toxic. And worse. Just plain worse.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Is he really leaving because of boseman bruiserman? Really?

I like DW, but I’m not big on the parting ways via soap box tantrum.  If you don’t feel this is a good place for you anymore, by all means, take a break or leave.  Just suck it up and go though. Life goes on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

This is what happens when people espousing contemptible ideas, spouting contemptible rhetoric, and supporting contemptible "leaders" are shielded from social sanction.

We achieve some kind of superficial "civility" while everything becomes more toxic. And worse. Just plain worse.

"Republicans" buy sneakers too.

1 minute ago, jonessed said:

I like DW, but I’m not big on the parting ways via soap box tantrum.  If you don’t feel this is a good place for you anymore, by all means, take a break or leave.  Just suck it up and go though. Life goes on.

If it's whining for attention, I agree. DW is not that type, nor was his post. Nothing wrong with communicating his thoughts.

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

If it's whining for attention, I agree. DW is not that type, nor was his post. Nothing wrong with communicating his thoughts.

If we keep losing posters like DW (and almost like Sinn), then this place just becomes another sports oriented message board filled with right wingers. Let's face it, the world of sports fandom isn't exactly overrun with non-traditional thinkers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

I don’t think he normally is, but that was one giant “look at me” rant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I am going to have a nice season, guy.  I am going somewhere where the climate suits my clothes and the water tastes like wine. I thank Joe and the various Mods for all they have done over the years.  I have looked around and there is not a better place on the net for me, but this place is not for me.  I shall miss many here. Best wishes to all.

The FFA is more pleasant, where politics isn't included.  Consider having a good season over there and avoiding the politics forum.  I've been self-quarantined from this side mostly and it's refreshing.  Conversations in here just generally leave me generally intellectually unsatisfied, barring a handful of interesting contributors. 

Good luck wherever you end up.  Your voice will be a welcome addition to any community.

• Like 1

I did not call for them to get infected.  I called for them to show the courage of their convictions, or their father's conviction, and to take the risks the rest of us potentially face.   This would expose the President's hypocrisy if they were unwilling to do so.  It might also have caused him to think about the issue.  Exposure does not = infection.  Your bias caused you to make a leap, a leap I did not call for.  I do not want an elderly person in clearly poor health, in the high risk category, to actually become infected, I wanted him to think, to think in a real world scenario, one that effects him directly, not hypothetically.  Also, the entire post was a bit tongue in cheek, something you might have decided to recognize if you could step back just a bit from your passion.  No matter, I admire passion even when I do not agree with it or understand it, at least I do so long as it is not destructive.

You lobbied to get me suspended. Congratulations, it worked.  You cut off debate, again congratulations.

In your subsequent post you implied there was favoritism.  I agree. You got away with using  a phrase guaranteed to cause suspension, and yet you were not suspended.  Clear favoritism. Not, of course, in the direction you suggested, but clearly there it is.  maybe that is your prerogative, given your relationship to the site.  Maybe it should be otherwise. Regardless, I will not characterize my feelings about it, I just note it.

Ditkaless Wait!  You only got a week's time for wanting the president and his entire family to contract a deadly virus by kissing each other?

• Laughing 1

12 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

If we keep losing posters like DW (and almost like Sinn), then this place just becomes another sports oriented message board filled with right wingers. Let's face it, the world of sports fandom isn't exactly overrun with non-traditional thinkers.

Wait what?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

####

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I agree.

But, with this caveat - those same caveats apply to a "normal" flu virus - where the number of people with the flu is likely under-reported, at probably the same levels as Covid-19.  So, comparing "death-rates" is probably appropriate, and a reasonable comparison.

Your caveat is incorrect.  For the common flu they use mathematical modeling and estimates for both the number of flu infections each and and the number of deaths.  For obvious reasons that can't do that for covid yet.  Going of raw data the calculated mortality is significantly, several magnitudes, higher than actual.

34 minutes ago, jonessed said:

You can always skip it if you don’t want to read it.  There won’t be a test later. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

Nice spin! Just own what you said and move on to the next thread of the day instead of making an attention grabbing look at me post. You made a mistake, yawn. 

You’ll be back , rinse and repeat with dramatic exits like this. Same as it ever was

I think last time he left for a year or more and was diagnosed with a degenerative neurological condition.  Might want to just say goodbye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jonessed said:

Very :goodposting:

6 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Nice spin! Just own what you said and move on to the next thread of the day instead of making an attention grabbing look at me post. You made a mistake, yawn. 

You’ll be back , rinse and repeat with dramatic exits like this. Same as it ever was

And you will still be doing this fake gimmick because "owning the libs" is all you really care about.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

I think last time he left for a year or more and was diagnosed with a degenerative neurological condition.  Might want to just say goodbye.

I’m not talking medical issues and don’t keep a notebook . Wow 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

How on earth did you get that hot take from that video?

9 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Un. F-ing. Real. 

How can anyone possibly defend this guy.  This is the GD POTUS saying this crazy ####.  So incredibly reckless and stupid I can’t even wrap my head around it.  

Unless you think we've tested and recorded over 30% of the people currently infected in the US the actual mortality rate most certainly at 1% or less.  That's how the math works.

That's still pretty deadly though, ten times the normal flu.

12 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

You can always skip it if you don’t want to read it.  There won’t be a test later. 

Hard to know you should have skipped it until you’ve read it.  It’s just one post, not a thread.

Edited by jonessed

55 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

Even this administrations attempts to play "catch-up" on testing is falling short:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-05/u-s-won-t-meet-coronavirus-test-rollout-goal-senators-say

When it comes to critical issues like this, the buck is supposed to stop with the President. No matter how hard he tries to deflect this to get the stink off of him, it won't wash away easily. 

And like clockwork, this poll is released:  https://www.protectourcare.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Coronavirus-Poll-Memo-And-Results-3-20.pdf

2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

People in the thread criticized a comment that the death rate might be less than 1%.  I was under the impression that that is probably true after reading this article a couple days ago:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china

Yes I don't love Trump at all, but less than 1% might actually be true.

14 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Unless you think we've tested and recorded over 30% of the people currently infected in the US the actual mortality rate most certainly at 1% or less.  That's how the math works.

That's still pretty deadly though, ten times the normal flu.

That’s 100% pure justification for an extremely irresponsible and reckless statement from our countries leader.  It’s flat out not OK.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, tonydead said:

From his own words,

"we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people (with coronavirus) that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work."

which suggested it is OK to go to work and that people who do so could get better. He denied he said that in a tweet this morning but that was how many people on social media interpreted it last night. 

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

That’s 100% pure justification for an extremely irresponsible and reckless statement from our countries leader.  It’s flat out not OK.  

Have you not noticed that this is all Trump supporters do? The defend everything, however indefensible, because it is a cult. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

It's even worse when you consider the fact that he's downplayed the virus multiple times already. Remember, it was just last week he said that the number of cases would be close to 0 within a couple of days after the initial 15 were reported and now we're over 10x that number.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

From his own words,

which suggested it is OK to go to work and that people who do so could get better. He denied he said that in a tweet this morning but that was how many people on social media interpreted it last night. 

I'm in agreement with Ivan on this one.  People looking for facts should spin less.

3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

In that particular clip, Trump isn't saying that people should go to work with the virus.  He's saying that many of them do go to work with it.  Which is absolutely true.

21 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

That sucks.  If this centers around a health issue I hope he comes back to talk about it and/or allow a more suitable goodbye.

2 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

Have you not noticed that this is all Trump supporters do? The defend everything, however indefensible, because it is a cult. 

Yep, and post rolling laughing emoji’s.  Some how it funny that our president is playing fast and loose with a pandemic. Really funny.   

8 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

No, its math.  That's how numbers work.

Edited by tonydead

8 minutes ago, squistion said:

From his own words,

Correct. Unless I missed part of the segment, Trump didn't call out that people who have coronavirus should not be going to work. He just played it off like many people aren't going to have super severe reactions to the virus (which he's actually right about) and that they can still function at work, making it seem like it isn't too big of a deal. This of course completely ignores the fact that even if people aren't having serious effects from it (which again, he's right about), by going to work they're still potentially spreading it to others who are more likely to seriously suffer from it. 

Edited by Bucsfan5493
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Workhorse said:

Even this administrations attempts to play "catch-up" on testing is falling short:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-05/u-s-won-t-meet-coronavirus-test-rollout-goal-senators-say

When it comes to critical issues like this, the buck is supposed to stop with the President. No matter how hard he tries to deflect this to get the stink off of him, it won't wash away easily. 

Bloomberg.com  Oh, come on!

18 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

A democratic polling agency (if you can call it that) running with "Trump calling the virus a hoax" questions?

I rarely call out sources for being bias, I don't really care, but these two are over the top.  Christ folks, stick to the facts here.

3 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

It's even worse when you consider the fact that he's downplayed the virus multiple times already. Remember, it was just last week he said that the number of cases would be close to 0 within a couple of days after the initial 15 were reported and now we're over 10x that number.

But we aren't allowed to consider context, look at intent, or incorporate knowledge of previous behaviors into any critique of Trump (or really anybody on the Right). Every awful statement and terrible action needs to be looked at separately and parsed as literally as possible, with maximum benefit of the doubt allowed. And all ties go to Trump.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

Correct. Unless I missed part of the segment, Trump didn't call out that people who have coronavirus should not be going to work. He just played it off like many people aren't going to have super severe reactions to the virus (which he's actually right about) and that they can still function at work, making it seem like it isn't too big of a deal. This of course completely ignores the fact that even if people aren't having serious effects from it (which again, he's right about), by going to work they're still potentially spreading it to others who are more likely to seriously suffer from it. 

Which would be an irresponsible statement from any public official and worse from POTUS. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

Which would be an irresponsible statement from any public official and worse from POTUS. 

Correct. And it unfortunately appears that his supporters don't care yet again that he's misleading the public, which will most likely result in extra deaths in this case.

14 minutes ago, jonessed said:

That sucks.  If this centers around a health issue I hope he comes back to talk about it and/or allow a more suitable goodbye.

Given the board response to his last two posts, I just can't imagine why he wouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Just now, dkp993 said:

Thanks, I’m well aware.  That’s not the point and you absolutely know it.  Keep on justifying.  

I'm not justifying anything.  The fact is the mortality rate at the end of the day is going to be around 1% or less in the US.  You freaked out because the president told you the truth.  Do you know where the 3.4% number comes from and would you like to discuss that?  I'm open to any links or data that might show me wrong here.  Have you even looked at the numbers and know where they come from?

7 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I'm not justifying anything.  The fact is the mortality rate at the end of the day is going to be around 1% or less in the US.  You freaked out because the president told you the truth.  Do you know where the 3.4% number comes from and would you like to discuss that?  I'm open to any links or data that might show me wrong here.  Have you even looked at the numbers and know where they come from?

That isn't a fact... it's a likely scenario and I think will end up being true but we will not know that until more cases get reported and come in. Currently, the mortality rate is close to 7% in the US for reported cases, which probably isn't a totally accurate number given that I'm sure many cases have gone unreported and people have recovered, but to imply as President of the United States that the mortality rate will be 1% or less when we have such little data is foolish and dangerous.

This isn't even factoring in that he's downplayed the virus multiple times, including last week when he said that the number of cases would be close to 0 within a couple of days after the initial 15 were reported and now we're over 10x that number.

Any reasonable person can see that Trump has thus far attempted to downplay the virus and is doing more harm by doing so. 

Edited by Bucsfan5493
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Bloomberg.com  Oh, come on!

A democratic polling agency (if you can call it that) running with "Trump calling the virus a hoax" questions?

I rarely call out sources for being bias, I don't really care, but these two are over the top.  Christ folks, stick to the facts here.

PPP is one of the best polling outfits out there. You can whistle past the graveyard all you want, but Trump's numbers are taking a statistically significant hit (check Rasmussen and IPSOS today as well...it ain't good.)

It's still early but I can see a path where the economy craters and Trump gets crushed in November.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Again Tony that’s not the point. Yes at the end of the day could very easily end up under 1% or it could end up at 4%. We just don’t know at this point. I’ve absolutely looked at all the numbers you have I understand what you’re saying, that is not all my point. My point is the president doesn’t know either and he’s playing very fast and loose with what in some demographics is an extraordinarily deadly sickness.  His words need to be measured and well thought out because there’s more we don’t know then that what we do know.  Him minimizing this threat in anyway shape or form is absolutely reckless. This isn’t some random Joe like you and me just talking about it. This is the effing President of the United States. He cannot be normal Trump here and talk out of his ###. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand and why people need to defend him here, it’s just flat wrong for a leader to do. Period.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Even if he didn't mean "should go to work" and it "they are going to work" or "can go to work" , all you have to do is tell people to NOT GO TO WORK if you have the virus.  Seriously we tell little kids to stay if they are sick and we can't tell grown ### people?  

but he really can't because telling people that  blows away his whole argument that this virus that has killed thousands is nothing.  I mean people go to work with the sniffles all day so now you are telling me I shouldn't for this virus that is nothing but the common cold?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

I’m not talking medical issues and don’t keep a notebook . Wow 

Almost four years ago, DW posted on this board that his faculties were declining due to disease and a diagnosis and prognosis he was unwilling to share.  He's discussed it vaguely on a number of occasions with a number of people.

• Sad 2