What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not justifying anything.  The fact is the mortality rate at the end of the day is going to be around 1% or less in the US.  You freaked out because the president told you the truth.  Do you know where the 3.4% number comes from and would you like to discuss that?  I'm open to any links or data that might show me wrong here.  Have you even looked at the numbers and know where they come from?
That is isn't a fact and the mortality rate can't be accurately predicted at this time since this is the first exposure of the US public to this virus. 1% is a good guess but it could well be 2% like the flu epidemic of 1918, which was initially thought to be just another ordinary strain of the flu but turned out to be quite virulent (and more people died from it than were killed in WW1). 

PPP is one of the best polling outfits out there. You can whistle past the graveyard all you want, but Trump's numbers are taking a statistically significant hit (check Rasmussen and IPSOS today as well...it ain't good.)

It's still early but I can see a path where the economy craters and Trump gets crushed in November.
They literally asked the question "Do you agree with Trump's claim that the virus is a hoax?".

And my point has nothing to do with your hopes for Trump in the election.

Again Tony that’s not the point. Yes at the end of the day could very easily end up under 1% or it could end up at 4%. We just don’t know at this point. I’ve absolutely looked at all the numbers you have I understand what you’re saying, that is not all my point. My point is the president doesn’t know either and he’s playing very fast and loose with what in some demographics is an extraordinarily deadly sickness.  His words need to be measured and well thought out because there’s more we don’t know then that what we do know.  Him minimizing this threat in anyway shape or form is absolutely reckless. This isn’t some random Joe like you and me just talking about it. This is the effing President of the United States. He cannot be normal Trump here and talk out of his ###. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand and why people need to defend him here, it’s just flat wrong for a leader to do. Period.  
Fine.  We all know what he says often isn't measured.  We aren't doing that any favors by freaking out when he says something mathematically correct (mortality rate) or misconstruing what he says for political points (go to work if you are sick).

PPP is one of the best polling outfits out there. You can whistle past the graveyard all you want, but Trump's numbers are taking a statistically significant hit (check Rasmussen and IPSOS today as well...it ain't good.)

It's still early but I can see a path where the economy craters and Trump gets crushed in November.
If they're actually asking "Do you agree with Trump that the virus is a hoax," and Trump clarified that he wasn't calling the virus a hoax...is the whole thing not intentionally misleading at that point?  

Though I will say I agree with you on the economy tanking.  If that happens, Trump's looking at a much different ballgame come November.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine.  We all know what he says often isn't measured.  We aren't doing that any favors by freaking out when he says something mathematically correct (mortality rate) or misconstruing what he says for political points (go to work if you are sick).
The problem is I get that you understand that, but there’s large portions of the country that take his word as gospel. particularly some older demographic who are the people at the absolute highest risk. Again I get that he’s not measured and says lots of wacky things, In many instances that’s fine and nothing more than an annoyance. But here it’s just flat irresponsible.  

How on earth did you get that hot take from that video?
This is a c/p but it's the response: He’s suggesting people can go to work with no consequences. It’s not that you can live your life and survive, it’s that you can infect others. Interpreting Trump’s telephonic brain into something rational doesn’t help that he’s speaking to millions who just hear that people who don’t die don’t count against the statistics and don’t pose a risk.

This is a c/p but it's the response: He’s suggesting people can go to work with no consequences. It’s not that you can live your life and survive, it’s that you can infect others. Interpreting Trump’s telephonic brain into something rational doesn’t help that he’s speaking to millions who just hear that people who don’t die don’t count against the statistics and don’t pose a risk.
:no:

The problem is I get that you understand that, but there’s large portions of the country that take his word as gospel. particularly some older demographic who are the people at the absolute highest risk. Again I get that he’s not measured and says lots of wacky things, In many instances that’s fine and nothing more than an annoyance. But here it’s just flat irresponsible.  
There are large portions of the country that hop on every misconstrue of what he says too.  This is an example of that.

And Trumps ability to speak the truth isn’t on yours.

We can keep doing this all day or we could just call it right now?
Let's stop arguing about it and just make a friendly wager.  $20 says the actually number, no estimates, deaths in the US divided by recorded cases, is O/U 1.0% on election day this November.  I'll take the under.  You have to remember that 3.4% is the actual global mortality rate, that includes Wuhan where they eat bats and piss in the streets.

Sorry, I did say suggested. I can easily imagine someone listening to that and hearing Trump indicate that people go about their lives, to work, wherever, with the virus with no problems. If anyone wishes to employ the Babel Trump interpretation software to arrive at a rational translation that is always available for everything he says.

Let's stop arguing about it and just make a friendly wager.  $20 says the actually number, no estimates, deaths in the US divided by recorded cases, is O/U 1.0% on election day this November.  I'll take the under.  You have to remember that 3.4% is the actual global mortality rate, that includes Wuhan where they eat bats and piss in the streets.
I have no interest in the bet, despite being a gambling man, because as I’ve said now multiple times it’s not about the numbers. That is not at all my point, and by now you know that.  But I’m down to call truce and be done.  I’m about to jump on a plane and head to Park city Utah to snowboard for the weekend.  So nothing but good vibes heading into that.  

A friendly wager on the percentage number of deaths in the US?  :(

I don't think that is a good idea - a rather morbid thing to bet on. 

Ron Klain, former Obama White House Ebola czar just now on MSNBC:

"We also have a crisis of confidence because the president continues to lie to the American people about the disease. He continues to mislead people. He continues to misstate the facts. His public health officials contradict him publicly." 

I would wager $100k on the over if I wanted to root on dead people. I won't bet bc I don't want that to happen (even though it will), but that is easiest money ever. 

Furthermore, we're not the healthiest country either; we're a group of fat lazy stupid slobs... From my observations, and while anecdotal, those that are the fattest, laziest, and most in danger are the most dismissive of the flu.  

Ron Klain, former Obama White House Ebola czar just now on MSNBC:

"We also have a crisis of confidence because the president continues to lie to the American people about the disease. He continues to mislead people. He continues to misstate the facts. His public health officials contradict him publicly." 
It isn't that he is lying about the virus  it is that he 

A.  Doesn't know anything about it

b.  Doesn't really want to know anything about it except "when is it going away"

c.  Doesn't trust the people who does know about it because he has too many people telling him he knows everything

Again he hired Mike Pence to do the job.  Let him do the job.  if he is bored just go on twitter and talk about Biden.  Talk to Rudy about finding more dirt on people.  do something.  Play more golf for pete's sake.

I would wager $100k on the over if I wanted to root on dead people. I won't bet bc I don't want that to happen (even though it will), but that is easiest money ever. 

Furthermore, we're not the healthiest country either; we're a group of fat lazy stupid slobs... From my observations, and while anecdotal, those that are the fattest, laziest, and most in danger are the most dismissive of the flu.  
:lmao:   100K

Do the math.   What percent of infected people do you think we have accounted for right now?

Even if he didn't mean "should go to work" and it "they are going to work" or "can go to work" , all you have to do is tell people to NOT GO TO WORK if you have the virus.  Seriously we tell little kids to stay if they are sick and we can't tell grown ### people?  

but he really can't because telling people that  blows away his whole argument that this virus that has killed thousands is nothing.  I mean people go to work with the sniffles all day so now you are telling me I shouldn't for this virus that is nothing but the common cold?  
He should come out and say he didn't say that.  Right?

He should come out and say he didn't say that.  Right?
Listen I know you think this is a hoax and not a big deal for you.  But for normal people who aren't about which team is winning politically  it is good to tell people that if you are sick to NOT go to work

give me the quote where he told people to not go to work if you have the virus. 

Listen I know you think this is a hoax and not a big deal for you.  But for normal people who aren't about which team is winning politically  it is good to tell people that if you are sick to NOT go to work

give me the quote where he told people to not go to work if you have the virus. 
Seems pretty clear

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 2m2 minutes ago

I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work. This is just more Fake News and disinformation put out by the Democrats, in particular MSDNC. Comcast covers the CoronaVirus situation horribly, only looking to do harm to the incredible & successful effort being made!

give me the quote where he told people to not go to work if you have the virus
Most of us know and love someone who could be in a world of hurt if they got this virus (mortality rate for people over 80 is 15%).  Yet so many on this board and on conservative mouthpieces (radio and web) are saying "no big deal" and "why shouldn't we just let this thing spread".  Simple answer - if everyone gets this at the same time the health system will be overwhelmed and more people will suffer and die.  If we can contain and limit the spread, we might be able to treat more people effectively and help tonydead win his bet.

Seems pretty clear

I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work. This is just more Fake News and disinformation put out by the Democrats, in particular MSDNC. Comcast covers the CoronaVirus situation horribly, only looking to do harm to the incredible & successful effort being made!
Here’s what Trump said on Hannity:

“A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.”

==

So, yeah he didn't say they should go to work, but he did say that people get better just by, you know, ... going to work.

Seems pretty clear

Um, not really, he doesn't actually tell people to not go to work if they have the virus (which was what the OP asked).

“A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.”

==

So, yeah he didn't say they should go to work, but he did say that people get better just by, you know, ... going to work.
LOL and you somehow say this statement, describing people who don't realize they have the virus and do as they usually do when the have a cold or flu is in someway a statement saying that it is OK to go to work with CV19.

That is one heck of a reach but not unexpected

good grief....the guy is clueless.  even he doesn't know what he meant.  why argue about it?
Welp, in a health emergency, maybe the official government message to the people should be done by people who DO know what they are saying.  Just sayin.  He put Pence in charge to be the scapegoat (rumors), but he can't help himself from doing the talking himself anyway.

==

Going to work is the cure. Makes sense

good grief....the guy is clueless.  even he doesn't know what he meant.  why argue about it?
It's all doubletalk to mask the fact that he doesn't know much but thinks he can fool everyone into believing otherwise by using..........a lot of words.

Didn't anybody else grow up around people like this and become totally jaded by them? Or were they all confined to a rural zip code in central Maryland?

Ok, so let's say Trump's take is 100% right.  Why is anyone quarantined at all?  Let the cruise boat dock, let the people who are on bases go home, no big deal.  They will get better.
And, if this take is right, then there is no reason for all of the outrage to DW's post in the first place.

:lmao:   100K

Do the math.   What percent of infected people do you think we have accounted for right now?
A very small percentage. I also bet we prob have a deaths in the last couple of weeks attributed to pneumonia (or something else related), but never tested for Covid-19. That's neither here nor there.

The fact that we have so many unidentified cases (and I presume your argument here centers around that) leads me to believe we're unprepared, and if we have an outbreak, our healthcare system will become overwhelmed. We're not teflon, contrary to common belief. 

Furthermore, and this will be my only comments on this (because what I am stating is fact and there is zero reason to debate it), but what he said on Hannity was really doing the American public a great disservice, I don't know how anyone can refute that. I don't expect anyone who supports Trump to acknowledge that, but he could've delivered a remain calm message without his personal opinion undermining the WHO. 

Pretty simple and direct message, just like this for Joe Public who hasn't been following too much (I can keep adding to it, but that's as far as I'm going):

Listen, the threat to the American public currently remains low, and while that is the case today, that can change. We may face some disruptions in our daily lives for a short time, businesses may have employees work from home, schools might shut, but done right, we as the American people will beat this easily and quickly. Currently, it is a dangerous virus to those with  pre-existing conditions and the elderly, and they should be more cautious than usual.

I think you don't understand Trump's take
“A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.”

==

What part of his quote do I not understand?  It seems like he's minimizing the disease severity.

Ok, so let's say Trump's take is 100% right.  Why is anyone quarantined at all?  Let the cruise boat dock, let the people who are on bases go home, no big deal.  They will get better.
Because they were know to be returning from a region where the CV19 virus was actively infecting people, this isn't that hard.

All he was saying is that people here will likely get CV19 and not know, they will think it's just the flu or a cold because their symptoms aren't severe and they will not seek medical attention and will carry on life as usual.  We all do it.

We simply don't know how severe the disease is it.  I would argue folks in here are overestimating the severity of the virus.
Well we are just message board magic football players so what do we know.  However, a counterpoint might be how all of the other governments worldwide are reacting.

Doesn't matter what he says. The truth is lots of Americans can't take off of work. Maybe for weeks if a kid gets sick. Are there testing places everywhere,  what about people with no insurance, are test free?

Well we are just message board magic football players so what do we know.  However, a counterpoint might be how all of the other governments worldwide are reacting.
Did other governments test every citizen?  Everyone that had a cough, a runny nose, a fever?  No, they set specific criteria for what the CV19 symptoms were and acted accordingly, same thing is happening in the US.  Fact is, it affects people differently and as such you are never going to be able to accurately record the number of infected outside of testing every single person 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread