What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, when you Trump supporters come into the other thread, (the one where we are trying to post facts and keep it non-political) and start criticizing the WHO and China, and parroting Trump ideas, and you know that no one can call you out on your hypocrisy because we "can't talk politics"....we know what you're doing.
What the heck are you even talking about?  

2 million is the LOW end of how many this would kill if it spread to even half of the country.
It's the HIGH end if we did zero social distancing or any other measures.

The model showed 1.6 to 2.2 million people dead if we did nothing.  Only by social distancing does it get down to 80,000 to 160,000.  We don't do social distancing really well so the experts in creased those numbers to 100,000 to 200,000.

There really isn't any reason to argue the experts as their model as the model was verified independently.   Those are the numbers as we know them right now.

You can argue if shutting down was worth 1,000,000 people, because that's the current price tag.

If you want to watch them explain the number you can here, in 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a factor in mortality, but not to the extent you think.  
Think of the outcome for every person that came in and needed a ventilator to live - and did not get one, because there were not enough.

Are you saying that they would all live - because they don't actually need the ventilator?

We are fighting a two-pronged war here, where we are desperately trying to get more ventilators, and fewer patients - so that those who need one will get one.  The original model showed the outcome if we did not take both measures.

We can't now fault the country for taking these measures, and thereby reducing the impact of the virus.

You falsely accuse me of not posting facts, then you post this whopper of a lie.  
Half of the US population is 163 million.  With a CFR of 1% (very, very low if half the country had it), that's 1.6 million dead.  Even in South Korea their CFR is almost 2%.  

This model/study questioned the assumptions made from the original Imperial model which predicted 2m dead. At the time the Oxford study was a hypethetical because we really didn't have too much accurate information. Since then though, it turns out the death rate and hospitalization rate is a lot lower than we thought, confirming what the Oxford Model had questioned. A person can use his reason to make deduction that the 2m was too high. Or you can just wait for the epidemiologists to say it shortly. 

Also, blood antibody tests have not been done to say how many people have already had it, another thing questioned by the Oxford researcher.  There is reason to believe Covid19 has been around longer than we thought. Italian doctors are now looking into increased flu related deaths going back to October 2019.

This model/study questioned the assumptions made from the original Imperial model which predicted 2m dead. At the time the Oxford study was a hypethetical because we really didn't have too much accurate information. Since then though, it turns out the death rate and hospitalization rate is a lot lower than we thought, confirming what the Oxford Model had questioned. A person can use his reason to make deduction that the 2m was too high. Or you can just wait for the epidemiologists to say it shortly. 

Also, blood antibody tests have not been done to say how many people have already had it, another thing questioned by the Oxford researcher.  There is reason to believe Covid19 has been around longer than we thought. Italian doctors are now looking into increased flu related deaths going back to October 2019.
link?  

Think of the outcome for every person that came in and needed a ventilator to live - and did not get one, because there were not enough.

Are you saying that they would all live - because they don't actually need the ventilator?

We are fighting a two-pronged war here, where we are desperately trying to get more ventilators, and fewer patients - so that those who need one will get one.  The original model showed the outcome if we did not take both measures.

We can't now fault the country for taking these measures, and thereby reducing the impact of the virus.
The original outcome was an unrealistic theoretical prediction based on if us humans were completely ignorant and had no clue what a disease was.  It was never a realistic prediction under any circumstances.  

Trump supporters believe Trump over the epidemiologists now.  Why would you start caring what they supposedly will believe in the future?

Half of the US population is 163 million.  With a CFR of 1% (very, very low if half the country had it), that's 1.6 million dead.  Even in South Korea their CFR is almost 2%.  
These are not accurate cfrs outside of Italy or maybe Spain. You can find a link in this thread which says .6%. It's almost certainly less than 1%.

The original outcome was an unrealistic theoretical prediction based on if us humans were completely of ignorant and had no clue what a disease was.  It was never a realistic prediction under any circumstances.  
That is just naive.

The virus can/will spread even among asymptomatic people.  So you can spread the disease long before you know you are sick, and should be staying at home.  And, we know with behavior during the flu season, people don't stay home when they are sick.

These are not accurate cfrs outside of Italy or maybe Spain. You can find a link in this thread which says .6%. It's almost certainly less than 1%.
The global cfr (outside China) is currently 4.9% with over half the active cases in a state where death wouldn't have happened yet. Of course there are also many cases which haven't yet been diagnosed.

The "almost certainly less than 1%" line is a total guess based on zero evidence other than a random study or two.

The original outcome was an unrealistic theoretical prediction based on if us humans were completely of ignorant and had no clue what a disease was.  It was never a realistic prediction under any circumstances.  
It's a novel virus.  That means no one has immunity.  Only a complete shutdown, the likes of which none of us have ever seen, kept this from spreading to half of the population very quickly.

Pres Trump at WH says Dr. Fauci & Dr. Birx will be going over data & models about the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S.

He also reiterated that WH guidelines go through 4/30.

“It’s a matter of life and death frankly,” Trump said. “I know our citizens will rise to the occasion.”

So, now what do we do?  Do we keep up the "overreaction" argument, or do we adopt this new approach and say we always knew this was a life or death situation?

The global cfr (outside China) is currently 4.9% with over half the active cases in a state where death wouldn't have happened yet. Of course there are also many cases which haven't yet been diagnosed.

The "almost certainly less than 1%" line is a total guess based on zero evidence other than a random study or two.
Try to keep up.

The HIGH range is 70% of the population at 1%.  We are going to do better on both numbers.  Not quite jon_mx numbers tho.

I see Trump's writers are finally learning to manage expectations:

Philip Rucker

@PhilipRucker

Trump warns of a "very, very painful" two weeks ahead. “It’s going to be like a burst of light, I really think and I hope. Our strength will be tested, our endurance will be tried, but America will answer with love and courage and ironclad resolve.”

Click bait.  I'll trust US experts that are peer reviewed by Harvard and Columbia.

The news article focused on a new study from the University of Oxford, which has not been peer reviewed or published in a scientific journal.

Anybody actively arguing this right now this second, when you have an opportunity to listen to the top experts in the US explain it to you live, aren't interested in facts.  

Shader and jon_mx are both wrong.

The original outcome was an unrealistic theoretical prediction based on if us humans were completely ignorant and had no clue what a disease was.  It was never a realistic prediction under any circumstances.  
ummmm....have you paid ANY attention to those who still believe this is a hoax to try and tank Trump's chances?  Or the people claiming this was going to be the end of the world?

Anybody actively arguing this right now this second, when you have an opportunity to listen to the top experts in the US explain it to you live, aren't interested in facts.  

Shader and jon_mx are both wrong.
Is this referring to the Trump press conference?  Did he replace his cast of characters?  I might have to tune in.

Is this referring to the Trump press conference?  Did he replace his cast of characters?  I might have to tune in.
Too late - I think the main folks are about done - but I caught the end of Brix, and then Fauci, followed by Pence - still on.

Very simply - mitigation efforts are working, we need to maintain in hard hit areas, and we need to get a jump on areas where it has not hit yet to keep the numbers in a manageable range

Asked about the projected death toll, Trump invites Birx and Fauci to speak. Birx says again that the range is 100,000 to 240,000, but that doesn't assume every American does everything they're supposed to do, so it can be lower than that.

Too late - I think the main folks are about done - but I caught the end of Brix, and then Fauci, followed by Pence - still on.

Very simply - mitigation efforts are working, we need to maintain in hard hit areas, and we need to get a jump on areas where it has not hit yet to keep the numbers in a manageable range
Solid presser. After the rollercoaster of the last couple of weeks, I thought Fauci and Birx would've been gone by now.

I'm glad Trump seems to be relying on them more now. Although, I suspect he knows the next month plus will mainly be terrible news, so it's good to let Fauci and Birx deliver it and be the face of it. 

Either way, I'm glad they are still there. They've always had a great ability to offer some reassurance while making people understand the seriousness and urgency. 

If you've got something of value to add, make your point and why you think it. Throwing stuff like this is pure trolling and you know it. Stop it.
Trolling?  Not at all.  Are you watching this press conference?  They are illustrating via charts how we can expect the cases to slowdown over the next month.  This is something we should all be rooting for.  

If you've got something of value to add, make your point and why you think it. Throwing stuff like this is pure trolling and you know it. Stop it.
I am 100% confused right now.  Calling the President doing a good job is trolling now?  There are multiple attacks on the President in this thread and name calling and I don't see them being called out for trolling.  I legit did nothing wrong.

Asked about the projected death toll, Trump invites Birx and Fauci to speak. Birx says again that the range is 100,000 to 240,000, but that doesn't assume every American does everything they're supposed to do, so it can be lower than that.
Interesting.  I seem to remember it being an incredibly optimistic estimate, seemingly based on remarks from Fauci - but memory could be faulty.  Basically I remember it being if everything works as expected, that's where we'll be in several months.

In my opinion, the low end of that range isn't realistically an option while the upper end gets a bit more realistic but still generally optimistic.

We have a country of folks in large part not taking this seriously, thanks to Fox News, conservative media-sphere, and a President who only weeks ago was telling us the number of cases would go to 0.  We are going to pay HUGE tolls for this, and thank God we have responsible CORPORATIONS, you know, the liberal ones, that pushed for action WAY before the boneheads in charge, or the bozo's on Fox News admitted there was an issue.

SXSW was cancelled, Google had its employees working from home as did other tech companies.  Many of the industry leaders set examples by pulling out of events, and pushing for their cancellation.  All before leadership in this country even woke up to the challenge.

This is truly, and should be, an outrage for all Americans.  Our government failed us, and there will be a HUGE toll in human life to pay for it.  I'm not going to make a prediction, and I'm not hoping for many deaths.  I hope we find a magic bullet tomorrow, or a cure, or a treatment, that knocks this thing dead in its tracks.  But if that were to happen, it'd be in spite of actions from the government and not due to them.  They've been asleep at the wheel, or worse, during one of the worst national crises of any of our lifetimes.

Trolling?  Not at all.  Are you watching this press conference?  They are illustrating via charts how we can expect the cases to slowdown over the next month.  This is something we should all be rooting for.  
I think that’s all the moderator wants- some support for the statement and not “X is a superstar” or “Y is a total bum” with no context. 

I cant listen to him, so not watching.  How exactly does he think we expect stuff to slow down during the next month.  

I am 100% confused right now.  Calling the President doing a good job is trolling now?  There are multiple attacks on the President in this thread and name calling and I don't see them being called out for trolling.  I legit did nothing wrong.
:goodposting: This is beyond bizarre.  Whole threads dedicated to how horrible Trump is (name calling and all) and one post in here, very accurate in my view, the best press conference and info on this BY FAR.  Trump actually behaving honorably, not even talking very much.  WOW.

I cant listen to him, so not watching.  How exactly does he think we expect stuff to slow down during the next month.  
By continuing the extended social distancing for 30 days.  Faucci predicting deaths keep going up but peak in 1-2 weeks and then keep going down.

I see this very often on the legal side - but when reporters get out of their wheelhouse, and into areas of someone else's expertise - they really struggle to keep up and understand the concepts.

Pres Trump at WH says Dr. Fauci & Dr. Birx will be going over data & models about the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S.

He also reiterated that WH guidelines go through 4/30.

“It’s a matter of life and death frankly,” Trump said. “I know our citizens will rise to the occasion.”

So, now what do we do?  Do we keep up the "overreaction" argument, or do we adopt this new approach and say we always knew this was a life or death situation?
Sounds like a book I once read.  Don't know for sure since it was probably back in 1984 and I was just a kid.

He hasn't even been talking.  Hardly.  The information is valuable enough to overcome your....um....any issue you have with Trump.
I missed his opening remarks, but what I have heard is pretty good stuff trying to explain how the scientists see this playing out, and how that can change with more data.

Fauci and Birx have gotten Trump's attention.  He is listening to their advice - he even acknowledged that there were others who were pushing for the "ride it out" scenario.

Sure, I wish he had done this a month ago - but I don't know what else to expect of him in this moment.  I'd like to see the Feds get more involved in procuring the necessary equipment and rationing it out rather than having state bid against each other - but I do get the sense that Trump is finally taking this seriously.

I'm about 30 minutes behind but this thing is 100X better so far because donald is letting the experts answer the questions. Big improvement.

Does the model take into account the spring breakers? Those they got sick - if they were going to have issues - would probably start having serious issues this week or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread