Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

James Daulton

2 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Not a big fan of helping out the people that hate you.  Not necessarily bothered by this at all.

The head of this organization did as much as possible to cover up China's role in this whole thing.

America bad - we get it.

who hates us now - the WHO?  Come on.

I'm curious why you aren't bothered by us not participating in the world-wide effort to come up with the vaccine.  Why would we not want to be involved?  Do you think the US will be able to do this on our own?  Do you think the WHO will be better equipped to figure it out without us?  I'm curious why this is OK to conservatives.

6 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

The answer is no. But even if people sue, the legal grounds would be extremely shaky. Who are you going to sue?

Cruise ship corporations were pushing the safety of cruises very late. I'm not sure that makes them liable for people who were already on cruises. There were probably many economic and medical decisions on cruises that can be second-guessed. 

The nursing homes industry is another likely target. I know of a case after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 in which a nursing home "lost" a patient who was transferred to a safer location just before the storm and my friend had to hire a private investigator to find her husband about a week later. He had new bed-sores and died a a few days later. She sued and settled out of court over 3 years later. The industry  has deep pockets and spends a lot on lobbyists.    

California beaches opening back up(partially):headbang:

Newsome is still trying to stifle one of the world's largest economies with his liberal stance, but the pressure is mounting in his little ivory tower.

Pull your head out Gavin.

Edited by TripItUp

4 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Newsome is still trying to stifle one of the world's largest economies with his liberal stance, but the pressure is mounting in his little ivory tower.

Why would he try and stifle his own economy?  How is his “stance” liberal?  I don’t get it.

• Like 1

Just now, urbanhack said:

Why would he try and stifle his own economy? 

your guess is as good as mine.

There have been a lot of takes in the media that liberal governors are on a power trip and this is there one chance to be relevant...any media exposure is good exposure type of thing.

• Laughing 1

15 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Cruise ship corporations were pushing the safety of cruises very late. I'm not sure that makes them liable for people who were already on cruises. There were probably many economic and medical decisions on cruises that can be second-guessed. 

The nursing homes industry is another likely target. I know of a case after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 in which a nursing home "lost" a patient who was transferred to a safer location just before the storm and my friend had to hire a private investigator to find her husband about a week later. He had new bed-sores and died a a few days later. She sued and settled out of court over 3 years later. The industry  has deep pockets and spends a lot on lobbyists.    

Nursing home owners in New Orleans were prosecuted for not evacuating patients during Katrina. I read a heartbreaking article about them a few years ago. They weren’t absentee owners or anything. They just made a calculated gamble after previous disruptive evacuations during what had turned out to be false alarms, and this time, they guessed wrong. 

@SaintsInDome2006, I’m guessing it was a big local story?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, timschochet said:

So I was reading this morning about an issue that will have to be tackled before we can reopen the economy, even with proper testing: 

Should the government impose a liability shield for the coronavirus? Basically not allow people to sue? 

If they don’t do this, companies will hesitate to open. This is a tough one. I don’t know. 

I would be in favor of this.

53 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

There have been a lot of takes in the media that liberal governors are on a power trip and this is there one chance to be relevant...any media exposure is good exposure type of thing.

A lot of takes by conservative agenda mouthpieces.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TripItUp said:
1 hour ago, urbanhack said:

How is his “stance” liberal?  I don’t get it.

Conservatives want to open things back up.

Liberals don't.

This is such a bad posting that it almost seems like stinky bait.

45 out of 50 states have a complete or partial stay-at-home order

Lots and lots of red states (with Republican governors) in that 45.

Edited by [scooter]
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, Doug B said:

Responded to a Yahoo article on this point in the other thread:

TL;DR: It's nowhere near confirmed that recovered COVID patients get no subsequent immunity whatsoever. And that's how this recent pronouncement by WHO is commonly being interpreted.

:goodposting:

My rule of thumb since this crisis started is to avoid snap judgements: death estimates, fatality rate, efficacy of certain treatmenta, etc. That rule has held up pretty well. 

Edited by zftcg
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Because the left has no agenda?  You been living in a cave?

Sounds like you listen to those conservative agenda mouthpieces.  When the answer to everything bad is democrats, you should know you are not getting objective reporting.

• Like 7
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:
1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

A lot of takes by conservative agenda mouthpieces.  

When a Democrat governor issues a stay-at-home order.....they must be on a power trip looking for exposure.

When a Republican governor issues a stay-at-home order.....ummmmm......let's change the subject.

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

Or post how they have met proper guidelines to open up rather than assuming liberal means they are on a power trip.  Im guessing those tales came from some pretty biased and not credible sources.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sounds like you listen to those conservative agenda mouthpieces.  When the answer to everything bad is democrats, you should know you are not getting objective reporting.

You realize what site/forum you're in?  :lol: 

Hello?  Bueller?  It's nothing BUT everything bad is republican.  I'm one of a few rays of hope in this forum.  Free your mind.  Don't be a slave to the liberal grind.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, zftcg said:

:goodposting:

My rule of thumb since this crisis started is to avoid snap judgements: death estimates, fatality rate, efficacy of certain treatmenta, etc. That rule has held up pretty well. 

great posting.  uncertain times yield uncertain results and no size fits all.  one step at a time.

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Nursing home owners in New Orleans were prosecuted for not evacuating patients during Katrina. I read a heartbreaking article about them a few years ago. They weren’t absentee owners or anything. They just made a calculated gamble after previous disruptive evacuations during what had turned out to be false alarms, and this time, they guessed wrong. 

@SaintsInDome2006, I’m guessing it was a big local story?

Yes, people died. There was more than one but LaFon and St Rita’s were the most notable. Unspeakably sad and tragic. There was also poor coordination and handling by the parish sheriff’s offices.  

33 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Yes, people died. There was more than one but LaFon and St Rita’s were the most notable. Unspeakably sad and tragic. There was also poor coordination and handling by the parish sheriff’s offices.  

This is the article I read, by Tom Junod, one of the best in the business. It’s about St. Rita’s, and not so much a defense of the owners as it is an explanation. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, urbanhack said:
2 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Why would he try and stifle his own economy?  How is his “stance” liberal?  I don’t get it.

It isn’t and he isn’t.  Just has a D next to his name so he’s bad.  

I was no Newsome fan at all prior to this but he’s handled this situation extremely well.  On top of that his news conferences are refreshing in comparison.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Conservatives want to open things back up.

Liberals don't.

Way to politicize a pandemic.  👍  

Since it’s so clear cut according to you, what do independents want?     

Edited by dkp993
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, BladeRunner said:

You realize what site/forum you're in?  :lol: 

Hello?  Bueller?  It's nothing BUT everything bad is republican.  I'm one of a few rays of hope in this forum.  Free your mind.  Don't be a slave to the liberal grind.

Try to stay on topic, trump.  You were talking about the media calling out the liberal agenda.  And I was talking about the media as well.

this site is not the media.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Looks like Azar will be the fall guy for the poor US response to the pandemic.

Which odd if you have been arguing that the US has had the best response to the pandemic in the world.

Wasn't he one of the earliest to warn about the seriousness of this?

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Try to stay on topic, trump.  You were talking about the media calling out the liberal agenda.  And I was talking about the media as well.

this site is not the media.

you are the one that was getting off topic. I was just responding to your off topic comment.

51 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Looks like Azar will be the fall guy for the poor US response to the pandemic.

Which odd if you have been arguing that the US has had the best response to the pandemic in the world.

And here I was expecting so much more from a big pharma crony.  

1 hour ago, Slapdash said:

Wasn't he one of the earliest to warn about the seriousness of this?

I think the WSJ take down likely had a lot to do with it.

"On Jan. 29, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told President Trump the coronavirus epidemic was under control...But interviews with more than two dozen administration officials and others involved in the government’s coronavirus effort show that Mr. Azar waited for weeks to brief the president on the threat, oversold his agency’s progress in the early days and didn’t coordinate effectively across the health-care divisions under his purview."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/health-chiefs-early-missteps-set-back-coronavirus-response-11587570514

On a positive note, I feel like Trump’s response to the Coronavirus pandemic has been great the last couple days. Took no questions yesterday and didn’t go to the briefing today. Pence and the governors had a good call yesterday in which they defined the federal role in helping the states. Seems like that should have happened March 15 but whatever, forward.

I know they’re trying to find ways to get him out of the WH more, hopefully he can start going to Bedminster or Mar-a-Lago again soon. The Feds are just a backup and the states are leading the way out of this so it would be great if he starts thinking “above all else do no harm” could be his mantra as well.

A couple updates from earlier in the month with Wisconsin's election:

- two days in a row, Wisconsin recorded a record for new cases. Saturday 331 new cases were reported.

- Green Bay meat packing has exploded known cases in Brown County... Brown County's cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, began to explode around April 13. In a week, cases increased by 1,000% to surpass 500. With 618 confirmed cases as of Friday, the state's fourth most-populous county now trails only Milwaukee County in Wisconsin. Brown County has the highest rate of tests coming back positive, at 26%.

- 40 Covid cases linked to election in Milwaukee county. A couple days ago it was 19, so those numbers may be growing.

Mask up Milwaukee

• Sad 1

On 4/23/2020 at 2:42 AM, timschochet said:

MSNBC is making some very serious charges against Donald Trump. Very specifically, quoting exact information they have from the New York Times, they are arguing that Trump’s decision to ignore experts on the virus during the month of February resulted in 10,000 or more needless deaths. These people’s lives would have been saved had Trump acted sooner. 

In terms of Benghazi inquiries by the Congress per life lost is that 20,000 or so we can expect? Must see TV...

On 4/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Two months ago, on February 20, neither US nor South Korea had yet recorded a death from the virus. On March 20, South Korea had 100 total covid deaths, and US had 150. Today, April 20, South Korea has had a total of 236 deaths. The US has passed 40,000
Data

Possible Hippling alert

First US deaths weeks earlier than thought

An autopsy in California has revealed that the first US coronavirus-related death came weeks earlier than previously thought.

The first previously known death in the US was in Seattle on 26 February and the first in California on 4 March.

New information from a Santa Clara county coroner changes that timeline.

Autopsies on two people who died on 6 February and 17 February show they died with Covid-19.

Samples from the autopsies were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which confirmed the presence of the virus, California's Santa Clara County coroner's office said in a statement on Tuesday.

The death of a third Santa Clara individual on 6 March has also been confirmed to be coronavirus-related.

"These three individuals died at home during a time when very limited testing was available only through the CDC," the coroner statement said.

At the time, the CDC's criteria restricted testing only to people with a known travel history and who were showing specific symptoms.

The coroner statement said "we anticipate additional deaths from Covid-19 will be identified" as more deaths are investigated in Santa Clara county.

This article from the past week where I have been unable to post in real time

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 3:20 PM, timschochet said:

In a crisis? (Civil war, Great Depression, pandemic) Probably. Otherwise never. 

Of course even in a crisis I’d prefer someone without the megalomaniac tendencies. But competence has to come first. There’s not much difference between Jessep and Patton, MacArthur, or Grant. 

Pretty thankful that Truman and not MacArthur was POTUS during the Korean war, but maybe that's just me

3 hours ago, msommer said:

Sorry for the Hippling but you're now looking at 60K by May 1st

IIRC, I used 60k because that's the number our president was touting at the time.

Just an example of how things change even after just a week.

Edited by moleculo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Challenge Everything said:

A couple updates from earlier in the month with Wisconsin's election:

- two days in a row, Wisconsin recorded a record for new cases. Saturday 331 new cases were reported.

- Green Bay meat packing has exploded known cases in Brown County... Brown County's cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, began to explode around April 13. In a week, cases increased by 1,000% to surpass 500. With 618 confirmed cases as of Friday, the state's fourth most-populous county now trails only Milwaukee County in Wisconsin. Brown County has the highest rate of tests coming back positive, at 26%.

- 40 Covid cases linked to election in Milwaukee county. A couple days ago it was 19, so those numbers may be growing.

Mask up Milwaukee

40 cases have not been linked to the election. Thats clickbait. 

40 people that have tested positive in the county voted in person. They are asking every positive case if they voted in person. Its one of only a few questions they ask. No political motivation there. 400,000 people voted in person. The people answering yes are actually underrepresented as a share of population.

Edited by parasaurolophus
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Challenge Everything said:

Please enlighten us, what is the left's agenda overall? What is the left's agenda during this crisis? TIA

To destroy America, natch. Not like the elect a narcissistic sociopath with absolute power fantasies with a tendency to disregard science, who intimidates and terminates any attempt to keep him honest destroy, just the get everybody healthcare kind of destroy.

2 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

To destroy America, natch. Not like the elect a narcissistic sociopath with absolute power fantasies with a tendency to disregard science, who intimidates and terminates any attempt to keep him honest destroy, just the get everybody healthcare kind of destroy.

Please, you used too many words. I need a power point presentation with pictures.