What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not even close to being truthful.  A hoax?  What?

Also, it is on the governors to manage their own states.  The Federal government just provides guidance and assistance, which is what they've been doing.

Stop letting your hatred of Trump cloud your vision.  You're making stuff up at this point, man.
Ok.  He called the severity of the virus a hoax.  

Hundreds of thousands going to die.

I guess you got me.

Are you suggesting that the economy WASN'T booming prior to the pandemic?  Unemployment lowest ever (especially among minorities)?

Why is this even being questioned?
I simply asked you a question. I didn’t suggest anything.  

I just find it strange, and I’m not saying you’re doing this, the partisanship with this. Clearly the economy under Trump was doing very well, but it was also doing well when he took office. Did he make it better, yes, but it was trending that way as well. Trump deserves credit for this, so does Obama for the economy he had rolling when Trump took office. Yet some here want to give all credit one way. I just find that fascinating.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.  He called the severity of the virus a hoax.  

Hundreds of thousands going to die.

I guess you got me.
We were told millions were going to die so from a severity standpoint it was overblown, yes.

Hundreds of thousands WORDLWIDE, maybe.  Not in the US alone.  Stop exaggerating.

This economy talk is pretty much irrelevant. For a long time now whether it's boom or bust, only the rich have benefited. We've seen very stagnant wage growth for Americans and a disgusting level of wealth concentration. Under both Democrats and Republicans. The stock market and unemployment numbers are distractions. 

This economy talk is pretty much irrelevant. For a long time now whether it's boom or bust, only the rich have benefited. We've seen very stagnant wage growth for Americans and a disgusting level of wealth concentration. Under both Democrats and Republicans. The stock market and unemployment numbers are distractions. 
Spot on

Ate inside a restaurant yesterday for the first time in two months.  <1500 population small town rural area.  Total of 5 groups in the place.  Could have have tables set for 2-3x that.  Thought the staff did well disinfecting tables and chairs.  People were respectful of others' space.  I felt comfortable being there.  

Yep. The economy has been rigged for awhile now. Most of us are there to keep the wheel turning so those at the top can benefit. We have more education and more training than any workforce in human history but less pensions for security, more debt, less affordable health care and so on.

Yep. The economy has been rigged for awhile now. Most of us are there to keep the wheel turning so those at the top can benefit. We have more education and more training than any workforce in human history but less pensions for security, more debt, less affordable health care and so on.
And now we will have even more unemployed to lower the wage structure.

Thunderlips said:
To me, an economy going from humming to stalling in about a week and a half isn't a very good look for how healthy the economy was prior to Covid-19.   It speaks more that the success created prior to the pandemic was built on a foundation of sand than granite.  

I'd rather hear a President, a Political Party and members of a political party address this and formulate a strategy that hardens a successful economy against future events like this than just push for normalcy......because this pandemic just exposed how flawed "normalcy" is.  
say what??????????????????????????????    a strategy for a successful economy from something like covid?   I don't see this even remotely possible at all.  wow.

Thunderlips said:
To use the parlance of the website...... This epidemic/quarantine should be used as a tune up game (not trying to diminish the suffering that has occurred......but just recognizing that the suffering could have been much worse if the opponent was "better") against a tougher situation.  To that, the current 1-A,  Pre Season Top 10 Administration Team is losing to their DIV 1-AA season opener.  It's late in the 4th....so there's still a chance.  But the current coach is still doing everything that caused him to lose the first 3 1/2 quarters.  
The most concerning part of the analogy is that most coaches actually care about improving. They may suck at it, but they at least try. 

Trump has made it abundantly clear that he has no interest in improving, and that if a more serious situation hits us we will not be any better prepared:

"Once we OPEN UP OUR GREAT COUNTRY, and it will be sooner rather than later, the horror of the Invisible Enemy, except for those that sadly lost a family member or friend, must be quickly forgotten. Our Economy will BOOM, perhaps like never before"

The most concerning part of the analogy is that most coaches actually care about improving. They may suck at it, but they at least try. 

Trump has made it abundantly clear that he has no interest in improving, and that if a more serious situation hits us we will not be any better prepared:

"Once we OPEN UP OUR GREAT COUNTRY, and it will be sooner rather than later, the horror of the Invisible Enemy, except for those that sadly lost a family member or friend, must be quickly forgotten. Our Economy will BOOM, perhaps like never before"
You realize that quote that you posted does not even come close to proving your point about Trump.

You took something he said, twisted it to fit your Trump hate and are now attributing it to him.  

You realize that quote that you posted does not even come close to proving your point about Trump.

You took something he said, twisted it to fit your Trump hate and are now attributing it to him.  
How would you interpret saying this episode "must be quickly forgotten"? Especially given the context of seeing that he has seemingly learned nothing over the last few months and behaves today the way he behaved at the beginning of this crisis (from the standpoint of lying about how severe it is, failing to realize the importance of testing, not learning that his response is hurting him politically, etc). 

I would think a more appropriate response to what will undoubtedly go down as the greatest leadership failure in American history is "We must NEVER forget this. We must use this experience as an opportunity for growth to ensure the future safety of our people." Has he said anything remotely like this at any point?

How would you interpret saying this episode "must be quickly forgotten"? Especially given the context of seeing that he has seemingly learned nothing over the last few months and behaves today the way he behaved at the beginning of this crisis (from the standpoint of lying about how severe it is, failing to realize the importance of testing, not learning that his response is hurting him politically, etc). 

I would think a more appropriate response to what will undoubtedly go down as the greatest leadership failure in American history is "We must NEVER forget this. We must use this experience as an opportunity for growth to ensure the future safety of our people." Has he said anything remotely like this at any point?
That's not how anyone would interpret that.  What are you talking about?

You have zero idea what's going on as far as the administration is concerned regarding this a virus. All you're doing is interpreting something he said and taking it way too far.  

This is the type of stuff that I talk about when I say the hysteria is out of control.  Stop trying to no what's going on in Trump's head

That's not how anyone would interpret that.  What are you talking about?

You have zero idea what's going on as far as the administration is concerned regarding this a virus. All you're doing is interpreting something he said and taking it way too far.  

This is the type of stuff that I talk about when I say the hysteria is out of control.  Stop trying to no what's going on in Trump's head
Your first sentence is clearly wrong. It's how I interpreted it. It is how another poster who commented on it at the time of the initial Tweet interpreted it. It is a reasonable interpretation for the reasons I outlined. If you feel the context I mentioned is not applicable here, please explain why. 

I don't know what your second paragraph means. I know some of what is going on regarding the virus, as some of it is public record and I follow the news pretty closely. There are likely things going on  that are not public record that I am not privy to. Do you have additional information? If not, what are you implying is going on that I am not aware of?

It is not reasonable to ask some to "Stop trying to no [sic] what's going on in Trump's head". Every American has a duty to try to understand what Trump thinks. Trump has an even more important duty to communicate that and to do so in a way that is clear. 

How are you measuring this? Because I seem to remember the other guy waged $3T worth of unnecessary and poorly managed wars, and while at it left the economy in near ruin. Things were really scary before Obama took office. They were pretty damn good by 2016, despite rising wealth inequality. That may or may not have been his fault, but it supports my statement that Obama was a more of a conservative President than Trump is.

Recovery was a straight 45 degree line, for the most part. That line actually flattened a touch between Trump inauguration and coronavirus. Here is data from Forbes to prove it.

If you’re measuring by the Dow, on Inauguration Day of Obama’s first term, it was under 8,000. On his last day, it was 200 points shy of 20,000. That’s a bad recovery? Excuse me, an historically bad recovery? 

Please enlighten me as to all of the US Presidents who helmed a 150% rise in the market under their watch? 
There are links upstream, here are a couple more metrics provided in this article, and it has been outlined in detail in another thread specific too it in the last year or so. It’s well documented but if you want to spin it I’m fine with that. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/why-the-obama-recovery-took-so-long-1536619545

Majority of states relaxing restrictions and opening up more stuff this week. UFC fought last night. MLB planning to play 80 game season. Auto factories reopening in Michigan.  👍

Stock market futures going down.  I fully anticipate that once the market realizes that the economy can’t just be “re-opened”, it will absolutely tank.  

Then throw in the fact that the biggest cheerleader of the market openly showed yesterday where his priorities are....

Could be a rough week. (Never take investing advice from me though)

Stock market futures going down.  I fully anticipate that once the market realizes that the economy can’t just be “re-opened”, it will absolutely tank.  

Then throw in the fact that the biggest cheerleader of the market openly showed yesterday where his priorities are....

Could be a rough week. (Never take investing advice from me though)
Holding some funds back just in case to see if I can get some sweet deals.  Missed out when we went under 19,000.

I'm reading through this thing and.... it doesn't explain why EcoHealth was cut off and... it just seems to talk around the issue.

- According to this [er, DailyWire] report, what's the rational reasoning here?

I'm reading through this thing and.... it doesn't explain why EcoHealth was cut off and... it just seems to talk around the issue.

- According to this [er, DailyWire] report, what's the rational reasoning here?
According to EcoHealth their stated goal was to "find genetic sequences of coronaviruses in bats & to get these into the hands of people who design vaccines & drugs".  The piece then says that the US had sequences in January when vaccine testing began. 

So my guess is based on that, they achieved their stated purposes and additional funding wouldn't be necessary. 

Hundreds of thousands WORDLWIDE, maybe.  Not in the US alone.  Stop exaggerating.
We are getting close to one hundred thousand deaths here in the US. If this virus has a resurgence in the fall, it is not out of the question that we get to two hundred thousand by the end of 2020

With the republican in-laws yesterday.  Their main topics of interest:

1.  The death toll doesn’t really mean anything because hospitals are calling whatever deaths they can covid-19 related to get money.

2.  What do we do about these people on unemployment who are making more now then when they worked.

3.  Blue states are resisting opening up to hurt Trump.

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
https://twitter.com/michaelvkim/status/1258987354934538248?s=21

Good thread on the extreme measures South Korea is taking to limit the spread of the virus. What a night and day difference from what the Trump administration is doing. And for reference, the US has over 48x as many deaths on a per capita basis as South Korea does.
This is pretty informative, thanks for posting.

I follow some esports pretty closely, and watched some this weekend taking place in South Korea.  There were no fans in the crowd, but it was very refreshing and kinda comforting to see the players on-stage, in close proximity to one another playing, high-fiving, things like that.  Some of the technical support people were wearing masks but it was only a small handful of what I could see.  It was very odd to see everyone behaving so normally....makes me hopeful that someday we can get back to normalcy here.  But based on that Twitter link, seems like we have a long way to go.

According to EcoHealth their stated goal was to "find genetic sequences of coronaviruses in bats & to get these into the hands of people who design vaccines & drugs".  The piece then says that the US had sequences in January when vaccine testing began. 

So my guess is based on that, they achieved their stated purposes and additional funding wouldn't be necessary. 
Your conclusion doesn't make sense based on the goal you quoted.   The quote says "coronaviruses" (plural).   They've been doing this for years, well before covid-19 broke out.   covid-19 was one of the coronaviruses they were studying. It's very likely that their work contributed to the sequencing being completed so quickly.   This should make their research more important going forward not less,  unless you think this will be the last coronavirus that will get passed from bats to humans.

With the republican in-laws yesterday.  Their main topics of interest:

1.  The death toll doesn’t really mean anything because hospitals are calling whatever deaths they can covid-19 related to get money.

2.  What do we do about these people on unemployment who are making more now then when they worked.

3.  Blue states are resisting opening up to hurt Trump.
If states don't open up, they're doing it to hurt Trump.

If states open up and thousands die, they're doing it to hurt Trump.

This is Trump's playbook.

say what??????????????????????????????    a strategy for a successful economy from something like covid?   I don't see this even remotely possible at all.  wow.
The economy resulting from the passage of the green new deal, or anything similar with some variation of M4A and UBI would be in a much stronger position with little to no need for government stimulus for individuals.   Mix in a consumption tax rather than income and the government would be in stronger shape also.

Granted measuring success would be subjective, and of course shutting down large pieces of the economy  is still going to result in a contraction but the damages will be so much less steep.    

Your conclusion doesn't make sense based on the goal you quoted.   The quote says "coronaviruses" (plural).   They've been doing this for years, well before covid-19 broke out.   covid-19 was one of the coronaviruses they were studying. It's very likely that their work contributed to the sequencing being completed so quickly.   This should make their research more important going forward not less,  unless you think this will be the last coronavirus that will get passed from bats to humans.
They used "coronaviruses" (plural) because there are numerous strands of coronavirus.  They shouldn't expect to receive funding in perpetuity.  

How are you measuring this? Because I seem to remember the other guy waged $3T worth of unnecessary and poorly managed wars, and while at it left the economy in near ruin. Things were really scary before Obama took office. They were pretty damn good by 2016, despite rising wealth inequality. That may or may not have been his fault, but it supports my statement that Obama was a more of a conservative President than Trump is.

Recovery was a straight 45 degree line, for the most part. That line actually flattened a touch between Trump inauguration and coronavirus. Here is data from Forbes to prove it.

If you’re measuring by the Dow, on Inauguration Day of Obama’s first term, it was under 8,000. On his last day, it was 200 points shy of 20,000. That’s a bad recovery? Excuse me, an historically bad recovery? 

Please enlighten me as to all of the US Presidents who helmed a 150% rise in the market under their watch? 
You take the Dow on the day of the election, not on the day of his last term.  Once Trump won, Trump policy proposals and effects start to get baked into the DJIA.  So it would be just 17,900 the day after the election.

These aren't the only possible outcomes though.  The States could open and see no spike in the death rate.    

These aren't the only possible outcomes though.  The States could open and see no spike in the death rate.    
The point is that Trump deliberately does nothing so that he can exploit every possible outcome.

That's his strategy. He avoids responsibility and is proud of it.

Let’s take the day Obama won in 2007, and the day Trump won in 2015. 

Dow went from 9,600 to 17,900. 

Somehow this was an historically bad recovery that should have happened faster. 

Standard Obama is held to is absurd.
Well in 8 years it went up 8,000 points, about 4,000 over its historical high.  Not bad.  Trump has it up almost 7,000 in 3.5 years.

This is the silliest argument ever.  The fact that covid has wiped out 25% of the work force and the market is humming along still not quite into bear territory should tell you everything you need to know.  Same reason the stock thread hasn't been bumped since March.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread