What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will remind you those gains are gone, largely from an incompetent federal response.

Removing regulation and trickling wealth up produces short term gains, but may not be a healthy way to build an economy, particularly when you’re deficit spending at record levels. 

It’s a very hard thing to manage a growing economy, a healthy economy, and a thriving population. Doing everything to maximize short term gains may not be wise, and was orchestrated by a guy with multiple bankruptcies who brought that ethos to crisis management.
That's current.  Trump had it up almost 11,000.

Joe Mammy said:
That was his best ending yet.

Reporter: "You pointed at me let me ask my question."

Trump: "I pointed at you and then you didn't respond."

Trump: "Ladies and gentlemen, that's all I have." Walks off...
:lol:  This is just sad.

In about 7 months nothing Trump says will matter. 
I truly hope so but I'm sitting here seeing his approval trend up, the battleground states in play, vegas still saying he's favored, GOP voters super pumped to vote even if they have to get covid 19 in the process... I'm very likely missing something but my confidence is not high.

I truly hope so but I'm sitting here seeing his approval trend up, the battleground states in play, vegas still saying he's favored, GOP voters super pumped to vote even if they have to get covid 19 in the process... I'm very likely missing something but my confidence is not high.
Agreed. Once you open Pandora's Box, you can't just shove it all back in. 

With the republican in-laws yesterday.  Their main topics of interest:

1.  The death toll doesn’t really mean anything because hospitals are calling whatever deaths they can covid-19 related to get money.

2.  What do we do about these people on unemployment who are making more now then when they worked.

3.  Blue states are resisting opening up to hurt Trump.

Wait......do they have user names in this forum?  That sounds like familiar material.   Can I guess which user names?

After dropping corporate taxes so they could buyback their stocks which inflated the price and put even more money in the hands of the rich. Let's also not forget that he threw a tantrum to get rates dropped while the economy was booming. Bang up job there Trump. 
Any American who has a 401(k) or 403(b) benefits. So around 54% of the US population. 

Looks like Donald is triggered by the governors pandemic response approval ratings.
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump · 31m

Remember this, every Governor who has sky high approval on their handling of the Coronavirus, and I am happy for them all, could in no way have gotten those numbers, or had that success, without me and the Federal Governments help. From Ventilators to Testing, we made it happen!

:lmao:   The man has no shame.

Snotbubbles said:
Well in 8 years it went up 8,000 points, about 4,000 over its historical high.  Not bad.  Trump has it up almost 7,000 in 3.5 years.
Honest question, is the better comparison the point increase or the percentage increase?  Put another way, if I invested $1000 when the Dow was at 9,600 and it went to 17,900, would I have made less, more or the same amount of money than if invested that $1000 when the Dow was at 17,900 and it went to 26,200 (the same 8,300 point gain)?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
Sadly I agree with you. His base is sticking with him through anything and his approval ratings are slightly higher now than what they were in 2018 + 2019. 

It's still far from a shoe in and it wouldn't shock me if Biden wins either, but I don't give it any more than a 50% chance that Trump does not re-elected.

Any American who has a 401(k) or 403(b) benefits. So around 54% of the US population. 
I am sure the person with 20k in their 401k is reaping a total windfall from this, why, if it just goes up 25% they could have 25k! What, you had to pay $100,000 for college instead of $20000, or $10000 when you broke your leg instead of $20? We don't have money for that, these rich people need it!

Median 401k savings by age from https://www.thestreet.com/retirement/401k/average-401k-balance:

20-29 - $4300

30-39 - $16500

40-49 - $36000

50-59 - $60900

60-69 - $62000

Wow, I am sure some stock market boost is definitely helping the average American, and not the top 0.1% who actually own all of the stock. 

Remember this, every Governor who has sky high approval on their handling of the Coronavirus, and I am happy for them all, could in no way have gotten those numbers, or had that success, without me and the Federal Governments help. From Ventilators to Testing, we made it happen!

I've always heard leadership is about taking all the credit and accepting none of the blame.

Pathetic.

Guess we all should’ve seen it coming at this point though.

”Give ME the credit!! ME ME ME!”

- Every great leader in history 

Mitch McConnell is gaslighting millions of Americans again

It also looks like Biden and his team have already put an ad together in regards to the plan they left for Trump that was completely ignored. This is one of the best ads yet I’ve seen as it’s short, straight to the point, isn’t throwing any personal insults and shows what Biden did to prepare for a pandemic compared to Trump. Now McConnell has given them even more content for the ad as he’s trying to gaslight Americans in saying that the Obama administration left them with no plan.

https://twitter.com/parkerbutler10/status/1253851616287100929?s=21

It also looks like Biden and his team have already put an ad together in regards to the plan they left for Trump that was completely ignored. This is one of the best ads yet I’ve seen as it’s short, straight to the point, isn’t throwing any personal insults and shows what Biden did to prepare for a pandemic compared to Trump. Now McConnell has given them even more content for the ad as he’s trying to gaslight Americans in saying that the Obama administration left them with no plan.

:lol:  Amazing. The "pull them up by their bootstraps" group is still blaming the previous guy after being in office 3 1/2 years.

I am sure the person with 20k in their 401k is reaping a total windfall from this, why, if it just goes up 25% they could have 25k! What, you had to pay $100,000 for college instead of $20000, or $10000 when you broke your leg instead of $20? We don't have money for that, these rich people need it!

Median 401k savings by age from https://www.thestreet.com/retirement/401k/average-401k-balance:

20-29 - $4300

30-39 - $16500

40-49 - $36000

50-59 - $60900

60-69 - $62000

Wow, I am sure some stock market boost is definitely helping the average American, and not the top 0.1% who actually own all of the stock. 
I was coming in here to say the same thing. As someone who has a 401k, it's an absolute joke to pretend that these are the people who need the help financially. Doesn't do much other than widen the already awful financial wealth gap there is in this country.

He's serious with that...and people will applaud it and claim he is correct.  

And even when its someone else...he is all about the ratings (except when his suck of course).

Id love every governor to be able to tell him to shove it...that they did it themselves.  Of course, that means not getting anything at all when needed from the Feds...so honesty can't work against such foolish stuff.

Honest question, is the better comparison the point increase or the percentage increase?  Put another way, if I invested $1000 when the Dow was at 9,600 and it went to 17,900, would I have made less, more or the same amount of money than if invested that $1000 when the Dow was at 17,900 and it went to 26,200 (the same 8,300 point gain)?
Depends on the argument you want to make.  See...when the dow drop 2000 points in one day...you can't look at the point drop, only the percentage.  If it makes Trump look good, then you can talk about points and not the percentage.

Depends on the argument you want to make.  See...when the dow drop 2000 points in one day...you can't look at the point drop, only the percentage.  If it makes Trump look good, then you can talk about points and not the percentage.
Well, I suspect that goes both ways.

I was coming in here to say the same thing. As someone who has a 401k, it's an absolute joke to pretend that these are the people who need the help financially. Doesn't do much other than widen the already awful financial wealth gap there is in this country.
If a person doesn’t like their financial standing they live in one of the few places in the universe where they can actually do something about it.

God Bless America 

Why use the truth when people don't care what it is...

If a person doesn’t like their financial standing they live in one of the few places in the universe where they can actually do something about it.

God Bless America 
Even when the economy is at its best, 40% of the country doesn't even have $400 for an emergency expense.

As we've seen from this pandemic, many businesses can't even afford to shut down for a couple of weeks without going fully bankrupt.

But sure, let's pretend like the financial situation for Americans is great.

The whole 401k argument has puzzled me. Unless you are retiring within 5 years or so, why does it matter? By the time you actually see the gains, the stock market will have gone through several more cycles.

It’s like getting happy on mile 3 of a marathon because you sprint ahead and are in the lead. Probably isn’t going to change the final results much and the only people really benefiting would be the ones with prop bets on who is leading at mile 3.

It doesn’t make much sense but a lot of people are highly concerned with short term stock market gains/losses despite being decades away for using it. 

Even when the economy is at its best, 40% of the country doesn't even have $400 for an emergency expense.

As we've seen from this pandemic, many businesses can't even afford to shut down for a couple of weeks without going fully bankrupt.

But sure, let's pretend like the financial situation for Americans is great.
If anything this pandemic will teach a generation or two about the value of fiscal responsibility. 

The fact that over 70% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck is embarrassing for most of those Americans. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 4.3% of the world's population, but 32.4% of the cases and 28.4% of the deaths, despite starting with the top infrastructure for responding to a pandemic. That's great leadership and a "nice job". 
I would bet you everything you have that we don’t actually have 32.4% of the cases.

Just a heads up that the Senate hearing with Dr. Fauci and other medical experts testifying is about to start.

It is must-see TV imo.  :thumbup:

I can't wait for the upcoming conspiracy theory reports either.  :lol:

God Bless America 
We are ranked #17 in the economic freedom index, behind such states as Estonia, Lithuania, Georgia, and Chile: https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

We are ranked #27 in the social mobility index, behind such nations as Slovenia, Czechia, and Portugal: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ranked-the-social-mobility-of-82-countries/

I would bet you everything you have that we don’t actually have 32.4% of the cases.
Well I certainly agree that both cases and deaths are being WAY under counted in the US. But for now we should probably stick with the numbers we have and not supposition based on feelings.

If anything this pandemic will teach a generation or two about the value of fiscal responsibility. 

The fact that over 70% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck is embarrassing for most of those Americans. 
I'm sure your very worried about fiscal responsibility: 

"President Donald Trump is said to not be worried about setting the US up for a massive debt crisis because he doesn't think it'll erupt until after he leaves office.

Sources close to the presidency told The Daily Beast that Trump had repeatedly shrugged off any concerns about the rising national debt because it was projected to come to a head only after he would finish a second term."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-debt-crisis-fine-wont-be-here-report-2018-12 

Financial literacy is a subject that barely gets taught in our educational system which is insane and a problem that should be addressed, but a large part of the reason that many people are living paycheck to paycheck is more due to how the country operates and embraces the 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps' mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread