Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Well I could discuss how many people are saying they don't have enough money to eat due to not having employment because of the stay at home orders.  Is that important

seems odd, I mean the government just handed  a stimulus check, plus bumped un-employment way up for the past 4 months, so who are these staving  people exactly?

Oh wait, this is just another fishing trip, and piss poor one at that.

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the

Australia has had months of little to no community spread and even then it was confined to one state. By and large Australians are running around doing the right thing, sport was and is still hap

I am confident we are going to hit >750K deaths.  I think it might be a million.  I don't post a ton but I'm an ER doc in a big city. This is by far the worse I've seen since the pandemic star

22 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Read a brief blurb this AM on the probable impact to testis as well...haven't gone back to read the entire thing.  I've brought up long term affects probably 50 times in these threads.  I don't think a single one has been replied to.

I've been seeing a lot of that too. I think it's not discussed as much now because the long term term non-lethal consequences aren't understood yet to a sufficient degree of certainty, but also because the death total is so shocking it's hard to look past that to non-death outcomes. I think it'll take years for us to fully comprehend the long term negative health impacts of this virus.

Given that uncertainty, we should be much more aggressive in preventing the spread of this disease than we've been.

Edited by Gr00vus
6 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

seems odd, I mean the government just handed  a stimulus check, plus bumped un-employment way up for the past 4 months, so who are these staving  people exactly?

So is your response.

58 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Read a brief blurb this AM on the probable impact to testis as well...haven't gone back to read the entire thing.  I've brought up long term affects probably 50 times in these threads.  I don't think a single one has been replied to.

Would really suck if alot of our children became sterile after this.

1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

I've been seeing a lot of that too. I think it's not discussed as much now because the long term term non-lethal consequences aren't understood yet to a sufficient degree of certainty, but also because the death total is so shocking it's hard to look past that to non-death outcomes. I think it'll take years for us to fully comprehend the long term negative health impacts of this virus.

Given that uncertainty, we should be much more aggressive in preventing the spread of this disease than we've been.

:thanks:

Preach it brother!!  It's really been a disgusting, reactionary display.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

:thanks:

Preach it brother!!  It's really been a disgusting, reactionary display.

We've become a nation of children in terms of emotional/psychological maturity. Short attention span, immediate gratification, short term thinking, faith/belief over rationality/education, motivated overwhelmingly by considerations about the self with no consideration of others. This Covid episode is a very vivid, yet all too common, display of how far in that direction the U.S. has gone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Gr00vus said:

We've become a nation of children in terms of emotional/psychological maturity. Short attention span, immediate gratification, short term thinking, faith/belief over rationality/education, motivated overwhelmingly by considerations about the self with no consideration of others. This Covid episode is a very vivid, yet all too common, display of how far in that direction the U.S. has gone.

And at the same time totally explains the 2016 election results.

5 hours ago, Skoo said:

He also tweeted out an anti-mask message the day before the Tulsa rally, which has since been deleted.

No tweet from Trump yet? Gee I wonder why.

Facts and science don't care about our political affiliations people!!

Cain was literally lying on his death bed while his social media team was tweeting out Covid skepticism.

New research concerning labor supply effects of the $600/week UI bonuses

Employers are receiving a *higher* number of applications per job opening since the CARES act was passed, even in lower-wage sectors. The total number of job applicants is still lower than it was pre-COVID, but this decline happened before the $600 bonuses were in place.

2 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Really???   So all those people on the news are lying?   Good God man.  Third story on NBC nightly news but yeah. I'm fishing. 

Edited by supermike80
46 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Holy cow!  What an awesome take.  I'm just shocked no one has asked this! You sir, with your top level intelligence win the internet today

So  - is that a yes or a no on opening everything back up?

13 minutes ago, The Gator said:

REPORTER: A week ago you said you're in the process of developing a coronavirus strategy that's very powerful. Where is it?

TRUMP: "Well, I think you're seeing it. And I think you still see it."

The country

Its so powerful nobody has a clue it’s happening.

21 minutes ago, The Gator said:

REPORTER: A week ago you said you're in the process of developing a coronavirus strategy that's very powerful. Where is it?

The country

Give him a break. He's probably still working on the cure for children's cancer he promised months ago. 

3 hours ago, The Gator said:

He'll release it after the election.  Or in a couple weeks.

1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

He'll release it after the election.  Or in a couple weeks.

just stack some copy paper on a table next to the podium and point to it....done.

4 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

Wow, this article is quite damning of the mismanagement of this crisis by the White House:  https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

History is going to be more than unkind to this administration when they’re gone. 

Only on this point.  On the issue of "owning the libs" though......he's one of the Greatest Presidents of all time.  

12 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Sorry I missed this.

No I wouldn't

No worries...thanks for the response.  Of course, Florida has done exactly what you wanted done.  Now imagine had every state done exactly the same thing where this country would most likely be.  I completely understand that people have lost their businesses in this.  People have lost jobs.  People have lost loved ones.  Knowing that this is going to happen anyway, in my view, the goal becomes how to minimize those losses, not eliminate them.  In my view, we need to be playing the long game here and resisting the demand for short term satisfaction.  That means we go through a considerable amount of pain up front so that we can begin the recovery process as soon as possible.  Reality is, if my state would have delayed "reopening" 3-4 weeks, we'd most likely see a light at the end of the tunnel by now.  If we'd started "reopening" after July 4 and not Memorial day, we most likely wouldn't be facing the problems we are right now.  Obviously that ship has sailed and now states need to worry about getting reinfected by other states as we play whack-a-mole with this thing.  As it stands today we are wondering if things are going to get even worse, especially as more and more cases are popping up in retirement communities here.

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well things generally are open, my argument is to not close them again

Despite things being opened, and too early, are what is causing the trouble the states are seeing.  

Again, we should have done a better job to begin with.  Economy would be better in the long run and a lot of lives saved.  Win-win. 

7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Despite things being opened, and too early, are what is causing the trouble the states are seeing.  

Again, we should have done a better job to begin with.  Economy would be better in the long run and a lot of lives saved.  Win-win. 

Yeah i don't agree.  People gathering at parties and weddings and other large get togethers are whats driving it..  Not the mom and pop restaurant that has every other table closed and all employees wearing masks.

You are completely wrong.

Yeah i don't agree.  People gathering at parties and weddings and other large get togethers are whats driving it..  Not the mom and pop restaurant that has every other table closed and all employees wearing masks.

This is not what was happening.  I am pretty sure you've seen pics of bars, etc that were full throttle.  I think you are really misrepresenting what was going on all over the country with the bolded. 

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

This is not what was happening.  I am pretty sure you've seen pics of bars, etc that were full throttle.  I think you are really misrepresenting what was going on all over the country with the bolded. 

Every restaurant I have attended in Michigan..Every single one.... has.  So like you guys with your first hand accounts of the lack of any protests happening in portland, all i can do is report on my first hand accounts.  The rest is made up.

21 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I think the bold here is the catch.  In MANY places, it's the exception, not the rule.  I think everyone would agree if all places are doing the bold, we'd not have a problem.  They'd most definitely be looked upon favorably as the "hey, they're doing their best and we should support them over those who aren't" kin of place.  At least that's what we are doing in our family.  We still aren't going into restaurants to sit and eat, but we are getting more take out even in the ####show we are living in.  It would be wise to constantly remind ourselves that not all areas of the country are doing the correct things.  As a result, everyone suffers.  It would also be wise to remind ourselves that what we see locally isn't an accurate picture of what's happening nationally.

Like I said above, Florida is doing exactly what you said you wanted to see and you wouldn't switch places with me.  There is clearly a disconnect there somewhere.

Just now, The Commish said:

I think the bold here is the catch.  In MANY places, it's the exception, not the rule.  I think everyone would agree if all places are doing the bold, we'd not have a problem.  They'd most definitely be looked upon favorably as the "hey, they're doing their best and we should support them over those who aren't" kin of place.  At least that's what we are doing in our family.  We still aren't going into restaurants to sit and eat, but we are getting more take out even in the ####show we are living in.  It would be wise to constantly remind ourselves that not all areas of the country are doing the correct things.  As a result, everyone suffers.  It would also be wise to remind ourselves that what we see locally isn't an accurate picture of what's happening nationally.

Like I said above, Florida is doing exactly what you said you wanted to see and you wouldn't switch places with me.  There is clearly a disconnect there somewhere.

I didn't say I wouldn't switch places.  I just said your situation is worse.

8 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Every restaurant I have attended in Michigan..Every single one.... has.  So like you guys with your first hand accounts of the lack of any protests happening in portland, all i can do is report on my first hand accounts.  The rest is made up.

Gotcha, so you don't actually want to discuss it.  Noted.  

2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Do we have any link to this "fact" that what is driving this is large gatherings, parties, and weddings?

Oh god.  You. Well this was a good and energizing debate and I appreciated many of you taking the time to go back and forth. But with this arrival, this thread is now done.  Cheers.

But for the board cop, here.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2020/07/29/wayne-co-confirms-covid-19-5-weekend-wedding-reception-southgate/5536227002/

Edited by supermike80
  • Thanks 1

Oh god.  You. Well this was a good and energizing debate and I appreciated many of you taking the time to go back and forth. But with this arrival, this thread is now done.  Cheers.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2020/07/29/wayne-co-confirms-covid-19-5-weekend-wedding-reception-southgate/5536227002/

It was a legitimate question...but because it was asked by me...the snark came out.  Why am I not surprised?  In addition to the snark...you post a link where 5 people with covid are linked to a wedding reception.  Im not sure much of it was really good debate reading it all either.  But hey...cool.

Carry on.

You don't develop a data set based on one anecdote. 

But I agree with you that large gatherings contribute to the vast majority of COVID spread. Here's a good piece from Scientific American:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-superspreading-events-drive-most-covid-19-spread1/

4 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

But I agree with you that large gatherings contribute to the vast majority of COVID spread. Here's a good piece from Scientific American:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-superspreading-events-drive-most-covid-19-spread1/

Thank you for that article (and yes, a reason I posed the question overall rather than quoting someone).  Yes...superspreading events are a huge issue.

Which is the issue with say...college campuses, bars, concerts, churches, barbers/salons (who won't take proper precautions) and other places that may see many different people in close proximity.

Edited by sho nuff

If only we had a system to try and trace the contacts people have had to try and deduce the origins of the transmission chains, simultaneously gathering contact information for those that might have been exposed so that they can be told to get tested and self-isolate until their (hopefully negative results) come back.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

It was a legitimate question...but because it was asked by me...the snark came out.  Why am I not surprised?  In addition to the snark...you post a link where 5 people with covid are linked to a wedding reception.  Im not sure much of it was really good debate reading it all either.  But hey...cool.

Carry on.

Well you can probably figure out why the snark.  And I posted a direct reply. yet you reject the link.  And you ask why you receive snark.

Edited by supermike80
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

If only we had a system to try and trace the contacts people have had to try and deduce the origins of the transmission chains, simultaneously gathering contact information for those that might have been exposed so that they can be told to get tested and self-isolate until their (hopefully negative results) come back.

Yep...unfortunately I've come to the realization that this ship has sailed.  People are pissing and moaning about shutting things down and I get it, but because of lack of actions and poor decisions we've moved from "close restaurant X for a couple weeks" to "close all the restaurants" because people are idiots.  And for those of us who are trying to do the right thing, it feels like life is passing us by, but then I'm not really sure if I want to participate in "life" if it's going to be like that.  We've carved out a nice little safe haven here and I don't see that changing for a while.

41 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

I think what also adds to the confusion is every state and region probably has their own reasons why people were gathering.  Be it bars, restaurants, churches, rallies, protests, whatever.  No way we took this seriously enough when we reopened, and we didn't #### down enough to begin with. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, The Commish said:

so....all said, would you be satisfied with the current state of Florida as the current state of your state?

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Sorry I missed this.

No I wouldn't

I didn't say I wouldn't switch places.  I just said your situation is worse.

Feels like a reminder of what we were talking about is in order....you would or wouldn't switch current statuses with Florida?

Just now, The Commish said:

Feels like a reminder of what we were talking about is in order....you would or wouldn't switch current statuses with Florida?

That wasn't what you asked before.  You asked if I was satisfied with the current state of Florida Vs Michigan. And I said no.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't switch.  I want things to remain open.  If that means cases rise, then we need to look at why that is happening. I personally believe businesses being open are a small part of that.  

18 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Well you can probably figure out why the snark.  And I posted a direct reply. yet you reject the link.  And you ask why you receive snark.

I didnt reject your link...I rightly questioned how posting an article about 5 cases even addressed what I asked.  Thankfully someone else posted a much better article.

That wasn't what you asked before.  You asked if I was satisfied with the current state of Florida Vs Michigan. And I said no.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't switch.  I want things to remain open.  If that means cases rise, then we need to look at why that is happening. I personally believe businesses being open are a small part of that.  

I assume because of Detroit getting hit early and state leadership, you have a different experience in MI than a majority of the nation currently.