Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Government Response To The Coronavirus

3 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the States. 

Since people are talking Michigan, let's start there:

On July 29, the date there is last complete data for both Michigan had twice as many more new cases (996) than the entire country of Canada (476).

The population of Michigan is roughly 10 million, the population of Canada is roughly 38 million.

The biggest hot spot remaining in Canada is Windsor, which borders Michigan.

----

90% of the Canadian population lives with 100 miles of the United States border. 

----

In terms of countries, the United States has about 10x the population of Canada. The United States had 68,543 new cases yesterday, Canada had 476.

----

Canadians and Americans are basically the same people, particularly near the border. People in British Columbia and Washington State are no different. People in Southern Ontario and in New York are no different. People in Quebec and people in Vermont are maybe a bit different but same basic conditions, same population density (yes, Canada has a huge mass of land but again, 90% of people live in a small area near the United States border.

---

That the differences between the two countries in terms of numbers and response are so wide is stunning to me. 

---

So what was different in Canada? I don't know but here is what my observations would be.

- We had access to at will, on demand testing very early - whether you had any symptoms/close contact or not, drive thru tests were available and contact tracing for positive results as a result was, I believe, months ahead of the United States. I know that the "test less" notion is more recent in the United States but "test more, earlier" was what happened in Canada. 

- The Canadian population as a whole (painting with a broad brush and there are exceptions) is more submissive, like European countries, Korea, Japan, etc... and when they are told to stay home, wear a mask, socially distance, for the most part they will do it for the collective group, rather than rally against it because of "personal freedoms".

- Masks. This goes with the above point but I don't think can be overstated. It was well under control in comparison because of the early testing and contact tracing, so the starting point was lower but there was a noticeable dip in the numbers everywhere when masks went from "recommended" to "mandatory". We do still have people fighting against it but the group is small, and the compliance rate is very high.

I really think that's all the difference. 

---

I've deliberately posted almost all objective facts and I don't care to debate it, the numbers really speak for themselves. Just providing some context from north of the wall.

Yeah, but Canada doesn't share a southern border with a country that can't control the spread of the virus.  Everyone know the porous border is the reason the southwestern states of the US have been hit so hard. 

• Laughing 1
  • Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is going to be a one off post because I don't want to get trolled or banned but if I were American, the context of Canada would be the biggest damning fact of how things have been handled in the

Australia has had months of little to no community spread and even then it was confined to one state. By and large Australians are running around doing the right thing, sport was and is still hap

I am confident we are going to hit >750K deaths.  I think it might be a million.  I don't post a ton but I'm an ER doc in a big city. This is by far the worse I've seen since the pandemic star

2 hours ago, yak651 said:

I guess I'm insulated a little bit in NE WI, so don't consider it a hot spot as not hearing the hospitalizations or deaths.  I understand the importance of taking this seriously, unfortunately I think it's going to take a major spike in this area of the state - including many hospitalizations - for these people to understand this is real.

That's a pretty common theme. It would be better if we all learned from each other, domestically and globally. This is a virus that affects humans. Not Asians, Italians, New Yorkers, etc. Humans. It's a virus. Also, it's real and when it comes it comes fast because it is so highly contagious. People don't know though. I get it.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

We would be a better country if constructive criticism was viewed as patriotic and blind, emotional defense was viewed as harmful.

YOUR FACE WOULD BE BETTER IF CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM WAS VIEWED AS PATRIOTIC AND BLIND!!! 

Sorry, pretty emotional and defensive these days. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Wow. If this is all true, Kushner should not only resign, he should be imprisoned. Intentionally doing nothing and allowing people to die in an attempt to blame Democrats is beyond disgusting. That would be straight up crimes against humanity type stuff.

Why wouldn't it be true? Is it even surprising to anyone that the political leanings of the states were considered?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, timschochet said:

I believe that the United States is the greatest country on Earth and in human history. I’m prepared to back that opinion up to anyone who wants to take issue with it. 

But guess what? We’re handling this virus terribly. Much worse than most other countries on Earth, far worse than Canada. That’s the reality. Start dealing with it, and stop hiding behind “I hate it when people talk bad about America.” It’s not true. 

You're right and I agree. I just vented.  Sorry. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

We would be a better subforum if we ignored the self admitted trolls.

For most of my time here, I didn't use the ignore function much. I just preferred to scroll by the posts/posters I didn't care to read or engage with. But, around the time Joe was considering shutting down the PSF, I decided to test out the ignore function. I currently have 27 posters on ignore and I think it's improved my PSF experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, dgreen said:

For most of my time here, I didn't use the ignore function much. I just preferred to scroll by the posts/posters I didn't care to read or engage with. But, around the time Joe was considering shutting down the PSF, I decided to test out the ignore function. I currently have 27 posters on ignore and I think it's improved my PSF experience. 

I've had a similar experience. Didn't put anyone on ignore until a year or two into the political subforum. Now I've got about 40 accounts on ignore, and I think half of those are aliases. It's made reading this forum less aggravating.

43 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Why wouldn't it be true? Is it even surprising to anyone that the political leanings of the states were considered?

Not only considered, it played a huge part in decisions made moving forward. 

2 hours ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Yeah the strategy was blatantly transparent - put all the responsibility on the states so that the governors get the blame if things go bad. Make them fight for needed resources then give (limited) federal resources to the states with governors who support them and their agenda.

Then when it comes to things people will like, make it federal like opening up the economy, churches and schools. But for the bad things like rolling back openings and mask mandates, it’s on the states. Seems like some of the governors caught on and did the same thing with the mask mandates, punting it to the cities while mandating the opening of schools.

3 hours ago, dgreen said:

3 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

I've had a similar experience. Didn't put anyone on ignore until a year or two into the political subforum. Now I've got about 40 accounts on ignore, and I think half of those are aliases. It's made reading this forum less aggravating.

Oh, you guys just can't handle opposing viewpoints!  You just want to live in your echo chamber!! 

;)   Sorry - I couldn't resist.  

• Laughing 2
4 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

Jesus. Somehow I had never even considered that when a vaccine is ready to go, if the present administration is still in place, they would #### it up. But they will, because they are inept at EVERYTHING. And more people will die that didn't have to.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
16 minutes ago, Herb said:

Jesus. Somehow I had never even considered that when a vaccine is ready to go, if the present administration is still in place, they would #### it up. But they will, because they are inept at EVERYTHING. And more people will die that didn't have to.

Now imagine if the vaccine starts rolling out between November and January 20th and he loses. Do you have any confidence that he’s going handle it properly? 

24 minutes ago, Herb said:

:yes:

This is the kind of thing many of us were trying to warn people about back in 2016 - Trump is incapable of performing the role of President, he's both incompetent and corrupt. Our only hope was that nothing major happened during his term. It was a huge error in judgement to vote for him then, it'll be an even greater error in judgement to vote for him now.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
42 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

This is the kind of thing many of us were trying to warn people about back in 2016 - Trump is incapable of performing the role of President, he's both incompetent and corrupt. Our only hope was that nothing major happened during his term. It was a huge error in judgement to vote for him then, it'll be an even greater error in judgement to vote for him now.

This election there will be NO errors in judgement for those voting for him. It's exactly what they want. They want the corrupt incompetence to continue. Absolutely zero question about it. They love it and are completely fine with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
9 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

This election there will be NO errors in judgement for those voting for him. It's exactly what they want. They want the corrupt incompetence to continue. Absolutely zero question about it. They love it and are completely fine with it.

Link to someone saying they want corrupt incompetence?

6 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Link to someone saying they want corrupt incompetence?

A vote for Trump in 2020 is such a statement at this point, assuming you've been paying attention to his performance in the role thus far.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
22 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

While I agree with the "corrupt incompetence", this brush is both incorrect and not helpful.

Conservatives I know have a STRONG STRONG dis-belief in anything that comes from the mainstream media (except in many cases from FOX?!) A lot of bubble/group think as well, but folks on the left do that also. They honestly don't SEE the incompetence because they DO SEE some of the things they wanted. They see conservative judges appointed. They see deregulation. Many are disapointed in the federal corona response, but for the most part blame state/local governments more then the fed because they consider mandated masking a government over-reach anyway. While I disagree (VERY strongly in many areas) with them, we need to be careful painting them with the paintbrush you do here. It's every bit as wrong and counter-productive as the "radical" brush many of them use to paint anyone who wants to change anything

• Laughing 1
14 hours ago, supermike80 said:

And I know, folks like sho will come here and say "Well make American better"   Yeah yeah...i get super tired hearing, over and over, how terrible my country is.

12 hours ago, apalmer said:

I'm with you--I hate people who insist they're going to make America great again, as if it isn't and/or hasn't always been.  

This reply is in the running for POTY.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

How much money have we wasted on Kushner...not just in this, but pretty much his entire role of getting talked up like he is going to do something...but nobody seems to know anything he has actually accomplished?  And throughout his role is he using/paying his college buddies like in this case?  And using funds to purchase stuff from people with ties to certain country's royal families?

Every description of him seems to be exactly that of how shady people run shady businesses.

14 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

He's so hilarious though and tells it like it is! Plus he's macho! Show me another candidate that has been married three times and has cheated on all of them! 

Plus, Hillary didn't even bother standing up to Bill in public about him cheating on her. She has no moral compass! 

• Sad 3
On 7/29/2020 at 10:41 AM, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Rep. Louie Gohmert has Covid19.

- He learned of it from a screening at the White House.

- He was at yesterday's Barr hearing, maskless.

eta - Apparently he met with the President and GOP lawmakers at the WH. (I guess they let him meet before the screening was complete).

Louie Gohmert. @replouiegohmert

I am taking #Hydroxychloroquine to treat my coronavirus diagnosis. It is what was decided as the best course of action between my doctor and me--not by government bureaucrats. How long until the tech tyrants censor this tweet?

hmm.  I wonder if this means that Rep. Gohmert is now for allowing women and their doctors to decide the best course of action, without interference from government bureaucrats.   🤔

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

"I have a plan...a great plan....a beautiful plan.....BUT....if I tell you this perfect plan now....Sleepy Joe Biden will steal it....because it's so perfect.  And then if Sleepy Joe and the Democrats get their wish and steal this election thru the use of at home voting......they'll use my plan and you'll think Sleepy Joe made it up....and it's so perfect; he'll get all the credit for it.  So you have to trust me....and then vote for me to see this beautiful, perfect plan."

• Laughing 2
1 hour ago, The Gator said:

I am taking #Hydroxychloroquine to treat my coronavirus diagnosis. It is what was decided as the best course of action between my doctor and me--not by government bureaucrats. How long until the tech tyrants censor this tweet?

hmm.  I wonder if this means that Rep. Gohmert is now for allowing women and their doctors to decide the best course of action, without interference from government bureaucrats.   🤔

Just to pump the brakes on Gohmert's claim of "I have a right to free speech!" victimhood: Arizona congressman Raul Grijalva tested positive for covid after chairing a hearing that Gohmert attended. “While I cannot blame anyone directly for this, this week has shown that there are some Members of Congress who fail to take this crisis seriously,” Grijalva said.

4 hours ago, The Gator said:

Never mind that it doesn't work, was this drug ever intended for people with mildish symptoms outside the hospital even in the GOP's alternative multiverse?  I thought it was a "treatment" for people who were very sick.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
4 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

"I have a plan...a great plan....a beautiful plan.....BUT....if I tell you this perfect plan now....Sleepy Joe Biden will steal it....because it's so perfect.  And then if Sleepy Joe and the Democrats get their wish and steal this election thru the use of at home voting......they'll use my plan and you'll think Sleepy Joe made it up....and it's so perfect; he'll get all the credit for it.  So you have to trust me....and then vote for me to see this beautiful, perfect plan."

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v6749

5 hours ago, The Gator said:

And when he recovers like most people do, and like he would have done without HCQ, he’ll give the credit to HCQ and further politicize the pandemic. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, The Gator said:

Also, didn’t Trump take HCQ even though he didn’t get COVID-19?

33 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Also, didn’t Trump take HCQ even though he didn’t get COVID-19?

He says he did, and if you want to play the percentages, that means he didn't.

• Like 2

Rep. Louie Gohmert's (R-Texas) daughter Caroline is disappointed her father "ignored medical expertise" and didn't wear a mask, and now has COVID-19, she said in a brief statement Sunday night. "This has been a heartbreaking battle [because] I love my dad and don't want him to die. Please please listen to medical experts. It's not worth following a president who has no remorse for leading his followers to an early grave."

• Sad 1
28 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Rep. Louie Gohmert's (R-Texas) daughter Caroline is disappointed her father "ignored medical expertise" and didn't wear a mask, and now has COVID-19, she said in a brief statement Sunday night. "This has been a heartbreaking battle [because] I love my dad and don't want him to die. Please please listen to medical experts. It's not worth following a president who has no remorse for leading his followers to an early grave."

Saddens me to see so many people having to learn the hard way. 

40 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Is he in the hospital or at serious risk right now?

Trump angry with his experts again (Dr. Binx this time) because they won’t toe the company line and say only what Trumps wants them to.  How dare they use their expertise to give advice to the general public (ie do their job).  

5 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Is he in the hospital or at serious risk right now?

There may be some family and HIPAA issues at play. I could find nothing on the net. His daughter has supported BLM and veterans against Trump on twitter.

1 hour ago, urbanhack said:

Looks like we finally have the strategy from the white house on how to defeat Covid.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1290270589945430016?s=20

Golf
Tweet
Watch cable news

Person
Woman
Man
Camera
TV

Its incredible. Doctors said it never been done before.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
3 hours ago, The Gator said:

Person
Woman
Man
Camera
TV

Its incredible. Doctors said it never been done before.

Every time I read this, I do it in the songified version. :lmao: 

It never gets old.  I also have the ramp song stuck in my head 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1