What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is to prevent anyone from traveling from the EU to the UK and flying to the US from Heathrow?

Lets not even discuss that Trump Inc owns golf courses on the UK but none in Europe. Coincidence.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
  The fact that on March 11th you can't get tested just because you're sick is insane.  
Elect a guy like we did, we get results like we do.

He didn't listen to the generals. He didn't listen to the intelligence agencies. He didn't listen to our allies. He didn't listen to ambassadors. He didn't listen to the scientific community.  Because as he likes to state, he knows better than anyone about anything.

Now for sure he isn't listening to the medical professionals.

TRUMP : "every one of these doctors said, ‘how do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability."

https://www.axios.com/everything-trump-says-he-knows-more-about-than-anybody-b278b592-cff0-47dc-a75f-5767f42bcf1e.html

• Campaign finance: "I think nobody knows more about campaign finance than I do, because I'm the biggest contributor." (1999.)
  • TV ratings: "I know more about people who get ratings than anyone." (October 2012.)
  • ISIS: "I know more about ISIS than the generals do." (November 2015.)
  • Social media: "I understand social media. I understand the power of Twitter. I understand the power of Facebook maybe better than almost anybody, based on my results, right?" (November 2015.)
  • Courts: "I know more about courts than any human being on Earth." (November 2015.)
  • Lawsuits: "[W]ho knows more about lawsuits than I do? I'm the king." (January 2016.)
  • Politicians: "I understand politicians better than anybody."
  • The visa system: "[N]obody knows the system better than me. I know the H1B. I know the H2B. ... Nobody else on this dais knows how to change it like I do, believe me." (March 2016.)
  • Trade: "Nobody knows more about trade than me." (March 2016.)
  • The U.S. government system: "[N]obody knows the system better than I do." (April 2016.)
  • Renewable energy: "I know more about renewables than any human being on Earth." (April 2016.)
  • Taxes: "I think nobody knows more about taxes than I do, maybe in the history of the world." (May 2016.)
  • Debt: "I’m the king of debt. I’m great with debt. Nobody knows debt better than me." (June 2016.)
  • Money: "I understand money better than anybody." (June 2016.)
  • Infrastructure: "[L]ook, as a builder, nobody in the history of this country has ever known so much about infrastructure as Donald Trump." (July 2016.)
  • Sen. Cory Booker: "I know more about Cory than he knows about himself." (July 2016.)
  • Borders: Trump said in 2016 that Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he was endorsing him for president because "you know more about this stuff than anybody."
  • Democrats: "I think I know more about the other side than almost anybody." (November 2016.)
  • Construction: "[N]obody knows more about construction than I do." (May 2018.)
  • The economy: "I think I know about it better than [the Federal Reserve]." (October 2018.)
  • Technology: "Technology — nobody knows more about technology than me." (December 2018.)
  • Drones: "I know more about drones than anybody. I know about every form of safety that you can have." (January 2019.)
  • Drone technology: "Having a drone fly overhead — and I think nobody knows much more about technology, this type of technology certainly, than I do." (January 2019.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Biff84 said:
That’s what you have to say? Seriously? I’d guess that just about every case in the US that originated from foreign exposure involved a citizen traveling internationally. Are you suggesting we end all international travel? No one in, no one out?
i was just happy that he didn't expect more people to get guns because of the virus.  Thought that was his gimmick

Stealthycat said:
serious question - are Democrats on board finally with closing our borders ?
Completely unnecessary.  The flu is much worse and the coronavirus is just a hoax dreamed up by the Democrats and MSM to make Trump look bad.  It will all miraculously disappear in a few weeks.

Or so we have been told by a stable genius.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1238049855286

Greg Sargent

@ThePlumLineGS

·2h

Only hours ago, Trump read these words from a teleprompter: "We must put politics aside, stop the partisanship, and unify together as one nation and one family." And now this, already.

Quote Tweet

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

· 2h

“Nancy Pelosi all of a sudden doesn’t like the payroll tax cut, but when Obama proposed it she thought it was a brilliant thing that all of the working families would benefit from because if you get a paycheck, you’re going to take home more money.” @kilmeade @foxandfriends

On why Taiwan has been successful in containing the virus:

Last but not the least, Kolas said that she believes the country’s health insurance system, which covers 99 percent of the population, has been crucial to fighting the spread of the outbreak.

“Taiwan’s health insurance lets everyone not be afraid to go to the hospital. If you suspect you have coronavirus, you won’t have to worry that you can’t afford the hospital visit to get tested,” she said.

“You can get a free test, and if you’re forced to be isolated, during the 14 days, we pay for your food, lodging and medical care,” Kolas said. “So no one would avoid seeing the doctor because they can’t pay for health care.”

On why Taiwan has been successful in containing the virus:

Last but not the least, Kolas said that she believes the country’s health insurance system, which covers 99 percent of the population, has been crucial to fighting the spread of the outbreak.

“Taiwan’s health insurance lets everyone not be afraid to go to the hospital. If you suspect you have coronavirus, you won’t have to worry that you can’t afford the hospital visit to get tested,” she said.

“You can get a free test, and if you’re forced to be isolated, during the 14 days, we pay for your food, lodging and medical care,” Kolas said. “So no one would avoid seeing the doctor because they can’t pay for health care.”
Sounds like they're on their way to becoming just like Venezuela any time now. Taiwan, it was a good run.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
I know this stuff goes on all the time - it just made me giggle a little bit:

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney

Lot of clearly fake phone calls among lawmakers exiting coronavirus briefing who don’t want to talk about it.

(not a knock on the politicians - I'd actually rather they did not say anything, and let the experts talk - just a little humorous picturing all the fake phone calls - when everyone around them knows they are fake calls...)

Sheriff Bart said:
Why would they finally be on board? 
because this virus affects everyone - poor people, rich people, Democrats, Republicans ..... this isn't someone anyone can hide from like drugs or sex trafficking or illegals etc

Biff84 said:
That’s what you have to say? Seriously? I’d guess that just about every case in the US that originated from foreign exposure involved a citizen traveling internationally. Are you suggesting we end all international travel? No one in, no one out?
me ?   I think anyone coming into the USA at anytime needs to let us know they're here, nobody here illegally. Trump stopped European travel yesterday didn't he ?  As to SHOULD we take that precaution? I'm uncertain ... my gut says this is way way overblown but if the virus mutated and had a kill rate of 30% or 40% ? That turns into a whole new pandemic scenario doesn't it ?

what do you think?

Completely unnecessary.  The flu is much worse and the coronavirus is just a hoax dreamed up by the Democrats and MSM to make Trump look bad.  It will all miraculously disappear in a few weeks.

Or so we have been told by a stable genius.
do you support shutting down the borders or no ?

me ?   I think anyone coming into the USA at anytime needs to let us know they're here, nobody here illegally. Trump stopped European travel yesterday didn't he ?  As to SHOULD we take that precaution? I'm uncertain ... my gut says this is way way overblown but if the virus mutated and had a kill rate of 30% or 40% ? That turns into a whole new pandemic scenario doesn't it ?

what do you think?
The virus is already here.  What is shutting down the borders going to do right now?  It's an ill-conceived plan that won't make a dent in the coronavirus situation at this time.

because this virus affects everyone - poor people, rich people, Democrats, Republicans ..... this isn't someone anyone can hide from like drugs or sex trafficking or illegals etc
You're undercutting your own point. It's not a travel ban, it was miscommunicated by the President as a travel ban. People from Europe not in the EU can still come here. Americans can travel. Brits can travel. People within the EU who are not within the Schengen zone (that's a thing, that's 5 of the EU nations) can travel. Cargo can be shipped. Permanent residents and family members are not affected. There's no testing or screening requirement. Etc.

I have a feeling that when WHO issued its pandemic statement yesterday Trump freaked out, ordered in the CV response leadership team and demanded some action, any action, and then Miller and Kushner drummed up this. There isn't even a chief of staff right now, Meadows is in quarantine. they used to have Kelly, Bossert, McMaster, Mattis, Coats, Tillerson (who at least ran Exxon), Cohn. Now they have no chief of staff, Chad Wolf as Sec. DHS (the 6th?), O'Brien as NSA (the 4th), no Homeland Security Advisor, Esper, Grennell, O'Brien, Pompeo, Kudlow. The medical leadership team has at least partly been excluded from briefings because they're classified. Kushner and Miller are running things. Just a total disconnect between the medical leadership team (Messonnier, Birx, Fauci) and senior administration leadership. And in a situation with shaky markets Trump just threw in a hand grenade. And no strictly medical/health policies in the speech to deal with the actual situation. I really hope this works out. 

Stealthycat said:
serious question - are Democrats on board finally with closing our borders ?
Are Republicans finally in board with thinking this thing is real and not some made up overhyped issue to get Trump?
And if you want to close a border...close all, not just one.  Im guessing it will he used to close down only one of them.

ETA...no, we shouldn't shut down all borders ir any border at this time.

Tom Wright@thomaswright08

Dow collapses on opening by almost 1700 points. Hits circuit breakers. Now just one additional bad day away from returning to where it was when Trump was inaugurated.
They stopped trading on the NYSE at the get-go.

what do you think?
He stopped direct European travel.

Should also be pointed out that "kill rate" is not a criteria for why something is called a pandemic.  The existing scenario is a textbook definition of pandemic no matter if one person dies or 1 million people die.

ETA:  And to be fair.....I don't understand the "finally onboard" question.  It's coming from the same group of people (don't know if you're one or not) that have been saying this is no big deal.  If that's true, I don't understand why we'd need to close the border.  Those two positions are at direct odds with one another.

NEWS — @GOPLeader KEVIN MCCARTHY told Republicans that he is opposed to the Democrats coronavirus bill, a blow to hopes for biparitsanship and perhaps a harbinger for the bill’s prospects in the GOP Senate. 

The WH has made its preference clear, but this is a bad sign.

Please stop lumping all Republicans in this camp.
True...i shouldn't.  How about “many Trump supporters”?  I wont even say most.
But it was a prevalent thought from Trump and many Republicans and his supporters.  And it is still being pushed by some on social media as everyone l panicking too much.  That was and remains a terrible attitude and one that may very well have made this all worse as far as preparedness and confidence and in the government response.

Please stop lumping all Republicans in this camp.
Why?  They have been all in on not breaking rank or offering a weak "I don't condone, but will still support" statements.  Can you link to the republicans that came out and said this should be taken seriously and isn't a just a democratic/liberal media shot at Trump until last night?

Rather than asking if people are OK with closing our borders (plural), I think more relevant questions are - are Republicans on board with providing the necessary testing and care for all people regardless of their ability to pay? Will people be free of harassment from ICE or will they need to go untreated for fear of deportation?

Elect a guy like we did, we get results like we do.

He didn't listen to the generals. He didn't listen to the intelligence agencies. He didn't listen to our allies. He didn't listen to ambassadors. He didn't listen to the scientific community.  Because as he likes to state, he knows better than anyone about anything.

Now for sure he isn't listening to the medical professionals.

TRUMP : "every one of these doctors said, ‘how do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability."

https://www.axios.com/everything-trump-says-he-knows-more-about-than-anybody-b278b592-cff0-47dc-a75f-5767f42bcf1e.html

• Campaign finance: "I think nobody knows more about campaign finance than I do, because I'm the biggest contributor." (1999.)
  • TV ratings: "I know more about people who get ratings than anyone." (October 2012.)
  • ISIS: "I know more about ISIS than the generals do." (November 2015.)
  • Social media: "I understand social media. I understand the power of Twitter. I understand the power of Facebook maybe better than almost anybody, based on my results, right?" (November 2015.)
  • Courts: "I know more about courts than any human being on Earth." (November 2015.)
  • Lawsuits: "[W]ho knows more about lawsuits than I do? I'm the king." (January 2016.)
  • Politicians: "I understand politicians better than anybody."
  • The visa system: "[N]obody knows the system better than me. I know the H1B. I know the H2B. ... Nobody else on this dais knows how to change it like I do, believe me." (March 2016.)
  • Trade: "Nobody knows more about trade than me." (March 2016.)
  • The U.S. government system: "[N]obody knows the system better than I do." (April 2016.)
  • Renewable energy: "I know more about renewables than any human being on Earth." (April 2016.)
  • Taxes: "I think nobody knows more about taxes than I do, maybe in the history of the world." (May 2016.)
  • Debt: "I’m the king of debt. I’m great with debt. Nobody knows debt better than me." (June 2016.)
  • Money: "I understand money better than anybody." (June 2016.)
  • Infrastructure: "[L]ook, as a builder, nobody in the history of this country has ever known so much about infrastructure as Donald Trump." (July 2016.)
  • Sen. Cory Booker: "I know more about Cory than he knows about himself." (July 2016.)
  • Borders: Trump said in 2016 that Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he was endorsing him for president because "you know more about this stuff than anybody."
  • Democrats: "I think I know more about the other side than almost anybody." (November 2016.)
  • Construction: "[N]obody knows more about construction than I do." (May 2018.)
  • The economy: "I think I know about it better than [the Federal Reserve]." (October 2018.)
  • Technology: "Technology — nobody knows more about technology than me." (December 2018.)
  • Drones: "I know more about drones than anybody. I know about every form of safety that you can have." (January 2019.)
  • Drone technology: "Having a drone fly overhead — and I think nobody knows much more about technology, this type of technology certainly, than I do." (January 2019.)
Every time I think about his need for everyone to think he knows it all, I can't help but think of how happy BGP must be with this president. Beej's opinion was that the smartest guy in the room had to tell everyone else that he was the smartest guy in the room because otherwise how would those dummies know?

@bostonfred posted this article in the FFA thread.  It's really good and not at all political, but it does suggest we take action now.  In short, there are two stratagies: containment and mitigation.  The China and Europe travel bans are on the containment side of the leger.  The truth is that it's too late for containment.  The horse is already out of the barn.  We are left with mitigation.  We and doing that by canceling events, WFH, and the like, but I didn't hear one damn thing from president Trump last night with respect to mitigation efforts.  We heard a good bit about mitigating the economic impact but nothing related to social distancing.

Mitigation requires heavy social distancing. People need to stop hanging out to drop the transmission rate (R), from the R=~2–3 that the virus follows without measures, to below 1, so that it eventually dies out.

These measures require closing companies, shops, mass transit, schools, enforcing lockdowns… The worse your situation, the worse the social distancing. The earlier you impose heavy measures, the less time you need to keep them, the easier it is to identify brewing cases, and the fewer people get infected.

This is what Wuhan had to do. This is what Italy was forced to accept. Because when the virus is rampant, the only measure is to all the infected areas to stop spreading it at once.

With thousands of official cases — and tens of thousands of true ones — this is what countries like Iran, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland or the US need to do.

But they’re not doing it.

Some business are working from home, which is fantastic.
Some mass events are being stopped.
Some affected areas are in quarantining themselves.
All these measures will slow down the virus.

But it’s not enough to get this transmission rate, this R, from 2.5 to 2.2 or even 2. We need to get it to below 1 for a sustained period of time to kill it. And if we can’t do that, we need to get it as close to 1 for as long as possible, to flatten the curve.
If we survive this thing, it will be inspite of our leadership, not because of it.  Trump has done nothing to slow this down.  Thousands of Americans will die, if not hundreds of thousands, and it could have been prevented had the administration been prepared and competant. 

This is an exponential threat. Every day counts. When you’re delaying by a single day a decision, you’re not contributing to a few cases maybe. There are probably hundreds or thousands of cases in your community already. Every day that there isn’t social distancing, these cases grow exponentially.

@bostonfred posted this article in the FFA thread.  It's really good and not at all political, but it does suggest we take action now.  In short, there are two stratagies: containment and mitigation.  The China and Europe travel bans are on the containment side of the leger.  The truth is that it's too late for containment.  The horse is already out of the barn.  We are left with mitigation.  We and doing that by canceling events, WFH, and the like, but I didn't hear one damn thing from president Trump last night with respect to mitigation efforts.  We heard a good bit about mitigating the economic impact but nothing related to social distancing.

If we survive this thing, it will be inspite of our leadership, not because of it.  Trump has done nothing to slow this down.  Thousands of Americans will die, if not hundreds of thousands, and it could have been prevented had the administration been prepared and competant. 
Yeah we have 2 confirmed cases in Michigan and dozens waiting for test results. I think we should have closed schools today instead of waiting until we have 50. Schools are like a virus created a dream scenario to spread through a community. 

VP Pence did not cite figures when CNN this morning when asked “How many Americans have been tested so far for Coronavirus?”

• Sad
Reactions: JAA

But even if the number of cases is large, but lower than the common flu, you will have people that say “see it wasn’t even as bad as the flu”.  These people suck, but there is a lot it them.

Why?  They have been all in on not breaking rank or offering a weak "I don't condone, but will still support" statements.  Can you link to the republicans that came out and said this should be taken seriously and isn't a just a democratic/liberal media shot at Trump until last night?
How about the Vice President?

But even if the number of cases is large, but lower than the common flu, you will have people that say “see it wasn’t even as bad as the flu”.  These people suck, but there is a lot it them.
I don't think this attitude will last long. 

Does anyone know whether there are any Italians still downplaying the virus?

NEWS — @GOPLeader KEVIN MCCARTHY told Republicans that he is opposed to the Democrats coronavirus bill, a blow to hopes for biparitsanship and perhaps a harbinger for the bill’s prospects in the GOP Senate. 

Mcconnell says he will block House Democrats' response package, calling it an "ideological wish list" that will "create a thicket of bureaucracy." 

Jesse Rodriguez

@JesseRodriguez

São Paulo newspaper reports Brazil president Jair Bolsonaro is being monitored and tested for coronavirus

Unfortunately it's time for stimulus. Also, mostly for the people this time. Not just corporations. People need to feel like they can get tested, miss work without repercussions, and get through this. Not some payroll tax BS either, which smells an awful lot like a pre-cursor to impacting SS and Medicare in the future. 

Unfortunately it's time for stimulus. Also, mostly for the people this time. Not just corporations. People need to feel like they can get tested, miss work without repercussions, and get through this. Not some payroll tax BS either, which smells an awful lot like a pre-cursor to impacting SS and Medicare in the future. 
What is the point of  payroll tax relief if people aren't going into work?

House Democrats' response package includes:

Free coronavirus testing

14 days paid sick leave (federally administered)

Emergency paid leave

Unemployment Insurance expansion

FMAP increase for states

Meals for kids whose schools close
THOSE MONSTERS!!!!   

The GOP is the worst.  :(

*Walter Bloomberg

@DeItaOne

BRAZIL COMMUNICATIONS SECRETARY FABIO WAJNGARTEN TESTED POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS, STILL AWAITS 2ND CONFIRMATION - O ESTADO DE S.PAULO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread