What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand your point, at all.  I was told how great South Korea did, and it turned out to be not true.  Nothing you are posting makes any sense at all
South Korea’s numbers are about 85 times better than ours.  11 deaths per 1m people there.  923 per 1m people in the US.  Sounds like they’ve had way more success than us.

I mean, sure.  Australia’s approach has “worked.”  

My BFF lives in Melbourne.  He’s barely left his condo in 5 months.   Basically, they completely shut down Victoria for 4 months (111 days per the article).  We aren’t talking US-style lockdown.  This is more like Singapore.

No judgment here, that’s basically the life I’ve been living for 9 months now.  But Americans just aren’t willing to make that level of sacrifice (or tradeoff, depending on the words you prefer).
I remember seeing a tweet from the police telling a woman she couldnt walk her dog. I thought that sounds neat. 

Think about what this country would be like right now if we had 11 deaths per million and it was a PROBLEM  :lol:

That number is a PIPE DREAM for us but somehow in other countries, it's a sign of doing it wrong.

The inability for people to look at things with context is going to be the ultimate death of our country :lmao:   Holy Crap it's embarrassing.  
Yes when we have people that don't see how 1k people testing positive in a population of 1.8m is worse than in a population of 58m we're screwed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: JAA
This is the #### we're dealing with in this state....I'm not making it up.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/388610-gov-desantis-suggests-one-dose-of-pfizer-vaccine-may-be-enough?fbclid=IwAR0WU7wxEsvvyvGsosvztB06x3kgzr3yudKEUUl1nEKXmFY-pxA0XCx_8Kk

He's not getting the amount he needs so he and some rando guy are making #### up because, hey, they know more than the people creating this thing :lol:  
But.....but......the guy he heard it from is a neuroscientist.  So he must know what he’s talking about.

This argument has been made on this board and all over social media. Even by plenty of various levels of doctors and epidemiologists. 

I disagree with it, but it is hardly any kind of fringe suggestion. 
Plenty of fringe arguments get made on this board every day.

I’d be interested in a link to credible experts suggesting that this makes sense.

I'm not risking your health if you aren't in the gym.  
I try to explain this to people all the time. I drive at 80mph over the speed limit and only drink UP TO the point where I feel impaired. They can drive at whatever speed and level of sobriety that they feel comfortable with..... or just stay off the roads altogether. That way my behavior has no effect on them or any of their loved ones in our community and my actions have no economic impact on others in any conceivable way. Pfffft, some people just don't get it.

I'm not risking your health if you aren't in the gym.  
Of course you are. You have a much higher chance of getting COVID and spreading COVID and if people around you get sick it fills up the hospital beds which means that if I get sick I don’t have the same level of care, not to mention my doctor who is exhausted having to treat all the people who behaved stupidly like you chose to  if you go to the gym. 

I can’t believe that I even have to explain this. 

We absolutely positively do not have the capability.   Has nothing to do with politics.
Activate the National Guard in each state and shut down interstate travel at the borders and between large metro areas.  I guarantee that there are already written up plans to do such a thing, and those date to well before the pandemic.

Activate the National Guard in each state and shut down interstate travel at the borders and between large metro areas.  I guarantee that there are already written up plans to do such a thing, and those date to well before the pandemic.
I'm not saying there isn't a plan somewhere, I'm saying it would be utterly impossible to implement. 

I utterly disagree.  But that's cool. You would literally have rioting in the streets. 

I don't want to live in a country that can force this kind of thing.   
What if this pandemic was 50 times worse than it is right now? there has gotta be some level of unchecked death and sickness where you would want the government to step in to save ourselves, right?

• Love
Reactions: JAA
What if this pandemic was 50 times worse than it is right now? there has gotta be some level of unchecked death and sickness where you would want the government to step in to save ourselves, right?
What if a meteor was headed towards earth?  

What if the dinosaurs came back?

What if Yellowstone erupted?  

Not interested in those what ifs.    Zero value to the conversation.

I don't want to die in a country where we can't voluntarily do things to protect each other...
I respect that.Thing is, there are a lot of people like me and a lot of people like you and THAT'S why shutting everything down like Australia did, ain't gonna happen here.  It's an unrealizable dream. 

Sorry

300,000 dead should be pretty real, and not imaginary - or "what if"

The fact is we are, collectively, too selfish to do what benefits others - if it comes at any cost to ourselves.

Sure there is value. Many people think we are already at a sufficient level of deaths and sicknesses to warrant a more aggresive intervention. Obviously others aren't. I am curious where you would stand, or whether your desire to be afree man trumps all possibilities of government intrusion

Sure there is value. Many people think we are already at a sufficient level of deaths and sicknesses to warrant a more aggresive intervention. Obviously others aren't. I am curious where you would stand, or whether your desire to be afree man trumps all possibilities of government intrusion
Ok..If the virus gets 50X worse than it is now I will agree to re-evaluate my position when and if that happens.

Deal?

The thing is, there are checks on our liberty that we all accept that are equivalent to what is being asked here under extraordinary circumstances. 

I ran into an anti-masker at Target who called me a sheep. But his tune changed when I invited him to join me in taking off our pants “for freedom.”  We all accept that restraint on our liberty in the name of sanitation or just that we don’t want to see one another’s junk. 

300,000 dead should be pretty real, and not imaginary - or "what if"

The fact is we are, collectively, too selfish to do what benefits others - if it comes at any cost to ourselves.
This really, to me, isn't a conversation about how we are as a people, it's about whether we could effectively shut down the country like Australia did and I say we can't.

Would I love it if we could all sit dance in circles for two weeks(6 feet apart of course) all get money from the government. Shut everything down, lock down our citizens....and sing kumbaya?  Yeah I would love that

But I live in the real world.  So my thing is focus on what we can do..not what we want to do.  The latter is a waste of time and energy.

Just my opinion though.

The thing is, there are checks on our liberty that we all accept that are equivalent to what is being asked here under extraordinary circumstances. 

I ran into an anti-masker at Target who called me a sheep. But his tune changed when I invited him to join me in taking off our pants “for freedom.”  We all accept that restraint on our liberty in the name of sanitation or just that we don’t want to see one another’s junk. 
Sure.
Cool story

Would I love it if we could all sit dance in circles for two weeks(6 feet apart of course) all get money from the government. Shut everything down, lock down our citizens....and sing kumbaya?  Yeah I would love that
I don't think anyone would love this or be signing songs. 

His scenario was a what if.   I did quote it.  Maybe you missed it?
Right but your argument is "the dangers are too speculative to warrant any intervention"

I am suggesting that the actual dangers are known and real, and we would benefit more if people were willing to put others in front of their own needs/wants/desires - even if that came from government intervention.

That so many people think their own needs outweigh the collective - is disturbing, and sad.  We have missed so many windows where we could have acted aggressively to limit the damages - and every time "FREEDOM" won out over long-term safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread