What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, going to be a lot of unhappy people on both sides now...

Jeff Stein@JStein_WaPo · 36m

BREAKING: Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) says "absolutely not" to a round of $2,000 stimulus checks

Biden promised to approve $2K checks if Georgia Dems won their Senate races. Pelosi and Schumer also on board

BREAKING: Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) says "absolutely not" to a round of $2,000 stimulus checks

Biden promised to approve $2K checks if Georgia Dems won their Senate races. Pelosi and Schumer also on board
The difference is he can't stop the vote from occurring.  Schumer would only need to pick up one GOP vote to replace him.

The difference is he can't stop the vote from occurring.  Schumer would only need to pick up one GOP vote to replace him.
Going to see how strong McConnell remains as a minority leader.

In theory, the GOP should be against additional stimulus under the guise of not expanded the debt.  (Never mind what they did when in power - that has no bearing to the position they will take as a minority party.)

And so it begins.

Manchin has to be one of the top 3-5 most powerful people in the country right now, no?

And so it begins.

Manchin has to be one of the top 3-5 most powerful people in the country right now, no?
I am wondering if he tries to form his own little group: Manchin, Murkowski, Collins, Sinema?

And they kind of have final say on any legislation that goes forward in the Senate.

I am wondering if he tries to form his own little group: Manchin, Murkowski, Collins, Sinema?

And they kind of have final say on any legislation that goes forward in the Senate.
Maybe Romney, Sasse and a couple others mixed in there too.  Possibly a more long-lived Gang of Seven kind of thing.

I'd welcome it, if they were more than a blocking bloc. We could solve a lot of real problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given Manchin's stance against a $2,000 stimulus ... what are his liberal or centrist bona fides? Have to read up on him a little.

EDIT: Third paragraph here lays out a good summary of Manchin's positions. Kind of a hybrid politician -- for instance, he's voted against repealing Obamacare but has spoken on the record about opposing Medicare for All.

Easy for Manchin to disapprove when his constituents consist mostly of affluent elites.

Why?  We know that it will permanently impact heart and lungs and we're full steam ahead.  You think science and reality are going to change the direction of this thing now?
I keep waiting for reason to kick in. Ironically irrational of me I suppose. I guess the message needs to be packaged a bit more palatably: You could get Alzheimer's, your kids could have like 30 points shaved off their IQs, etc.

I keep waiting for reason to kick in. Ironically irrational of me I suppose. I guess the message needs to be packaged a bit more palatably: You could get Alzheimer's, your kids could have like 30 points shaved off their IQs, etc.
Those are all made up and part of the deep state...they won't care.

Those are all made up and part of the deep state...they won't care.

Literally had this exact conversation with my wife last night.  “What does Biden do if Manchin isn’t on board with $2k checks?!?”

It does say though that H1N1 can also cause issues with the brain and nervous system. I’ve read similar about other flu variants and long term effects with the heart and other organs. 

Our daughter’s school is getting ready to move back to in person in a few weeks. We’ve been at home other than essentials since March. I’m tempted to just punt this school year and see what happens in the fall since we’ve already gone this long. Ugh. 

A bipartisan group that works together to help decide form legislation and likely guard against hyper partisanship on both sides? That sounds like a great for the Senate and Congress to operate.

I believe it already exists - Problem Solver Caucus, I think. They helped create much of the last stimulus. My immediate thought is that we need to elect more people that will join this caucus rather than more loud voices on the fringes.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
I can see why this was so funny to GoBirds.

Wait, no, I can’t.  Good contribution to the discussion by him though.
I thought it was pretty funny too and I actually thought he intended it to be funny. I thought he was mocking how politicians flip their stance any chance they get that provides them cover. Maybe I was wrong, but also it is just an emoji. 

I thought it was pretty funny too and I actually thought he intended it to be funny. I thought he was mocking how politicians flip their stance any chance they get that provides them cover. Maybe I was wrong, but also it is just an emoji
:goodposting:

Also agree on the bolded, just an honest reaction sorry some were triggered 

:goodposting:

Also agree on the bolded, just an honest reaction sorry some were triggered 
Sometimes, when you find something funny, it helps if you explain what you think is funny.  I admit I don't know if any GOP Senators are on record as supporting the $2K checks (Romney?  Sasse?).  Is it funny that you think I thought there might be one or two?  Is it funny that I think they might vote for the $2K check if it comes up?  :shrug: I really don't get where the humor is.

Literally had this exact conversation with my wife last night.  “What does Biden do if Manchin isn’t on board with $2k checks?!?”
Well, I'm opposed to the $2,000 checks. Sorry, It goes beyond need.

What I hate even worse though is for proposals I don't support being invisibly filibustered - where legislative leaders are protected from taking unpopular stands. It leaves them running for re-election on non-transparent platforms, or worse, disingenuous lies about what they support. Bills should be introduced, publically debated, possibly passed with compromises and possibly fail transparently. That's how legislation works, and how constituents decide whether a representative is representing. This one will go to the floor for debate, and that is improvement.

What I hate even worse though is for proposals I don't support being invisibly filibustered - where legislative leaders are protected from taking unpopular stands. It leaves them running for re-election on non-transparent platforms, or worse, disingenuous lies about what they support. Bills should be introduced, publically debated, possibly passed with compromises and possibly fail transparently. That's how legislation works, and how constituents decide whether a representative is representing. This one will go to the floor for debate, and that is improvement.
It’s not just about need for the individuals, it’s about stimulating the economy for the sake of businesses. 

It’s not just about need for the individuals, it’s about stimulating the economy for the sake of businesses. 
I understand the concept and goal of stimulus; I just don't think future generations should pay for benefit to businesses from 40 years ago.

• Thanks
BigJim® said:

100% agree

What’s with the Biden plan to just release all the vaccines and reserve a backup to guarantee people get the 2nd dose? Anyone have some thoughts on this? I need to be sold on this because it sounds risky

Checks are terrible stimulus.
How so?

Most people I know that received checks spent most of the money immediately. Whether it was paying rent, tipping an obscene amount on takeout, or gifting the money to others in need - who in turn spent it immediately. Sure, there are people that socked the money away in a savings account, but no matter the stimulus, there is always going to be a subset who do that

• Love
How so?

Most people I know that received checks spent most of the money immediately. Whether it was paying rent, tipping an obscene amount on takeout, or gifting the money to others in need - who in turn spent it immediately. Sure, there are people that socked the money away in a savings account, but no matter the stimulus, there is always going to be a subset who do that
Hasnt the money primarily gone to big corporations via the spending? 

I would love to hear the economic philosophies behind the alternatives.
I think most people would prefer that people most affected get the money. I agree though that this is where it can all fall apart and would. I no longer care about the debt though since that ship is sailing til we hit the iceberg, so give me my money please. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread