What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Illinois (sadly), but most of my family lives near Green Bay.  Including my cousins, who love to share 2-3x weekly photos of their dinners out at bars.
so WI .... you said they've not shut down, not worn masks .... because both of those things help covid spread, I assume WI then has what, 10X the covid other states with restrictions have?  20X ?

or ..... WI doesn't have many times more, in fact LESS covid than states with heavy restrictions ?

I'm very curious to see you answer

so WI .... you said they've not shut down, not worn masks .... because both of those things help covid spread, I assume WI then has what, 10X the covid other states with restrictions have?  20X ?

or ..... WI doesn't have many times more, in fact LESS covid than states with heavy restrictions ?

I'm very curious to see you answer
There is a statewide mask mandate in effect.

There is a statewide mask mandate in effect.
but Alex P Keaton said "So no, we haven't distanced, shut down and stayed away from each other."

he didn't specifically say no masks - I read that into it the whole of his replies

so knowing what he said - WI should have way way higher covid19 cases/deaths, right ?   because I'm being told here that shutdowns, distancing, staying away from each other etc really helps .... if WI hasn't done that, then WI should be way higher in infections/deaths

right ?

WI is 6th in the country with almost 10,000 cases per 100,000. They trail ND, SD, UT, RI, TN. 

RI has some of the most restrictions, but the other 4 most assuredly do not. Other states that people would consider as having the most retrictions and their ranking among the 50 states + territories (IL 19th, DC 46th, MA 35th, VT 51st, WA 48th, NY 38th) rank 19th, 46th, 35th, 51st,

but Alex P Keaton said "So no, we haven't distanced, shut down and stayed away from each other."

he didn't specifically say no masks - I read that into it the whole of his replies

so knowing what he said - WI should have way way higher covid19 cases/deaths, right ?   because I'm being told here that shutdowns, distancing, staying away from each other etc really helps .... if WI hasn't done that, then WI should be way higher in infections/deaths

right ?
I will be the first to say that the midwest right now throws a big middle finger into almost all covid theories out there. I will also be the first to say I am not sure why yet. I also have yet to hear a good explanation from somebody else. 

Just wanted to clarify that we have a mask mandate, so we didn't head down that road.

Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

NEW: Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no #coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN. "There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said

I don't think anyone could have seen this coming.

WI is 6th in the country with almost 10,000 cases per 100,000. They trail ND, SD, UT, RI, TN. 

RI has some of the most restrictions, but the other 4 most assuredly do not. Other states that people would consider as having the most retrictions and their ranking among the 50 states + territories (IL 19th, DC 46th, MA 35th, VT 51st, WA 48th, NY 38th) rank 19th, 46th, 35th, 51st,
ok but why isnt' WI #1 with 5times or 10times the numbers?  if they're being so irresponsible and not doing the things that are preventing covid19 spread ?

again - my view pretty much all along is that this is a virus, its not going away and we're not stopping it with 6' or cheaply made masks or shutting the economy down. If those things helped, then WI would surely have way way worse problems- but they don't - and states really strict on all of it would have much better numbers 

it is interesting that many people seem to not understand that there are people who don't believe like they do - calling me a troll or even an AI bot because I do not hold to the same beliefs. that's fascinating to me 

WI is 12th in cases per capita. 33rd in deaths. 

Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

NEW: Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no #coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN. "There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said
of course they're going to say that  -   I figure Biden and company will take ZERO responsibility for anything on their watch - they'll blame everything on someone else

"Biden will be ready on Day One of his Administration to protect this country’s health and well-being."

https://joebiden.com/covid-plan/

I will be the first to say that the midwest right now throws a big middle finger into almost all covid theories out there. I will also be the first to say I am not sure why yet. I also have yet to hear a good explanation from somebody else. 

Just wanted to clarify that we have a mask mandate, so we didn't head down that road.
We were also a weird state in that we didn't have anything state-wide for a bit, but the 2 big population centers had county health departments that were able to enact rules though.    I thought for awhile we were getting hammered around Dane Co. and in the LaCrosse area as well.   We are probably not as cool to visit in the winter though too.  ;)

of course they're going to say that  -   I figure Biden and company will take ZERO responsibility for anything on their watch - they'll blame everything on someone else

"Biden will be ready on Day One of his Administration to protect this country’s health and well-being."

https://joebiden.com/covid-plan/
So you think they’re lying and Trump actually did have a vaccine distribution plan?  

again - my view pretty much all along is that this is a virus, its not going away and we're not stopping it with 6' or cheaply made masks or shutting the economy down. If those things helped, then WI would surely have way way worse problems- but they don't - and states really strict on all of it would have much better numbers 
You are right, we are not stopping it with distancing and masks. But how many people would be dead if we didn't even try those things? 

You are right, we are not stopping it with distancing and masks. But how many people would be dead if we didn't even try those things? 
well that's the thing

people who believe masks/distancing have helped would say we've saved tens if not hundreds of thousands - but if it helped and WI hasn't really done it, then WI should have many times more deaths

so it doesn't add up, doesn't make sense

I'm a skeptic, I ask questions, I think for myself and not just what CNN feeds me to believe ......  and from what I've seen, nothing stops a virus, either H1N1 or covid. As people have said, why are some area's less impacted?  nobody knows but I'd suspect healthier people is the #1 reason, or age groups. If a city had 100,000 people over age 80, that city would be hit hard vs a city of 100,000 that everyone is under 40. Same too if a city of 100,000 were all obese they'd be hit hard, vs 100,000 in a city of healthy active athletic people

JMO though

I wear a mask to make people feel safer, but I doubt it has any real impacts. But I do it. I respect people who don't want to visit or be around others, that's their choice. Those things don't bother me much, its little and not much to ask.

America, a country that has arguably been ravaged by covid worse than any other first world nation, is still arguing about the efficacy of masks.  
as its been reported - we don't really know anything more than what CNN / FOX etc tells us

North Korea could have lost 5% of its population and we'd not know it - China too

and of course, the counting matters - and BTW watch the counting change dramatically with Biden & company. they'll not longer count "probable" etc and because of that, the numbers will plummet

IMO - I'm guessing, its what I'd do if I were Biden's team, make it look as good as I could

Last edited by a moderator:
as its been reported - we don't really know anything more than what CNN / FOX etc tells us

North Korea could have lost 5% of its population and we'd not know it - China too

and of course, the counting matters - and BTW watch the counting change dramatically with Biden & company. they'll not longer count "probable" etc and because of that, the numbers will plummet

IMO - I'm guessing, its what I'd do if I were Biden's team, make it look as good as I could
Everything with you is a conspiracy theory.  It’s amazing, really.  

This reminds me of when Trump and his supporters would say, "And you just watch - after November 3, you are never going to hear about COVID again."

This reminds me of when Trump and his supporters would say, "And you just watch - after November 3, you are never going to hear about COVID again."

it is amazing to watch people- even as of yesterday morning, some people were still posting how Trump was still going to be President - they wanted to believe it SO much the ignored reality

that said, I think changes in how covid is counted will dramatically reduce numbers and people will feel so secure ..... its false security, but people (again) want to believe so much, they'll ignore reality 

Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

So Biden people are saying Trump people didn't have a plan. Do you think everything they say is factual or is there some possibility this is just politics?

What in holy hell are you talking about?
I think Biden's team will push to stop counting probable deaths as covid19 deaths. Without those being counted, the actual covid19 deaths will dramatically decrease

when they release the numbers on how the deaths have greatly fallen, people will cheer at their success

when in reality, they're just counting differently

but maybe I'm wrong - maybe they'll continue to count exactly the same way 

So Biden people are saying Trump people didn't have a plan. Do you think everything they say is factual or is there some possibility this is just politics?
Under normal circumstances, I would say this is just a case of an incoming administration trying to lower the bar and dial back expectations a bit.

That said, I find it highly plausible that the Trump administration actually had no distribution plan.

Masks definitely help. Just my anecdotal story but my son plays for a travel baseball organization and we do indoor winter workouts. Sometimes, there are 4 teams practicing at the same time and there is ZERO social distancing. However, we do require masks. So far since we started (beginning of January) there has been zero transmission of covid amongst our teams (fingers crossed). Do I feel 100% safe? No. Do I feel safer with a mask than without? Definitely.

Masks definitely help. Just my anecdotal story but my son plays for a travel baseball organization and we do indoor winter workouts. Sometimes, there are 4 teams practicing at the same time and there is ZERO social distancing. However, we do require masks. So far since we started (beginning of January) there has been zero transmission of covid amongst our teams (fingers crossed). Do I feel 100% safe? No. Do I feel safer with a mask than without? Definitely.
My wife runs a pre-school in a highly populated area, and it is essentially the same scenario. They've had little outbreaks here and there and have had to close a classroom for a few days due to contact tracing, outside family, etc., but have yet to shut down the entire school. Pretty damn impressive all things considered, and mask wearing is mandatory for everyone. The kids have been awesome about it.

In my experience, mask compliance can swing pretty dramatically.
In my experience not really. I would bet most transmission occurs in situations where mask compliance has a small delta among areas and is pretty much universally low. 

In other words people hosting dinner parties in Maryland and people hosting dinner parties in WI probably dont behave much different. 

People belly up at the bar probably arent much different. Employees hanging out in the lunchroom, etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

This is pretty damning if true.  I was hopeful that Trump team wouldn't have completely bouched this piece of vaccine as Operation Warp Speed has been pretty good (so far one vaccine out of it).  

Here is full article on it - https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

In my experience, mask compliance can swing pretty dramatically.
Which is why the CDC is asking people that have received the vaccine to continue wearing masks.  The thought is if people that haven't received the vaccine see more and more people not wearing masks, they will stop wearing them too.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread