What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why the CDC is asking people that have received the vaccine to continue wearing masks.  The thought is if people that haven't received the vaccine see more and more people not wearing masks, they will stop wearing them too.  
Also, last I heard vaccinated people can possibly still spread the disease even if they don't have any symptoms themselves.  This was still an unknown and being studied.

Which is why the CDC is asking people that have received the vaccine to continue wearing masks.  The thought is if people that haven't received the vaccine see more and more people not wearing masks, they will stop wearing them too.  
Actually not true, they are asking people to wear masks since trials on vaccine only tested on ability to get sick from the virus.  They did not test if the vaccine prevented you from catching the virus and spreading it to others.  

I have mostly posted in the main Covid thread but as I have mentioned in that thread I have a very good friend who is a pediatric infectious disease Doctor and she said the current thinking is that with the approved vaccines is that you can still catch the virus and spread it to others.  Given how few people have received the vaccine at this stage all people should wear masks to slow spread to folks that have not received the vaccine and could still get very ill from catching it from someone who has been vaccinated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually not true, they are asking people to wear masks since trials on vaccine only tested on ability to get sick from the virus.  They did not test if the vaccine prevented you from catching the virus and spreading it to others.  

I have mostly posted in the main Covid thread but as I have mentioned in that thread I have a very good friend who is a pediatric infectious disease Doctor and she said the current thinking is that with the approved vaccines is that you can still catch the virus and spread it to others.  Given how few people have received the vaccine at this stage all people should wear masks to slow spread to folks that have not received the vaccine and could still get very ill from catching it from someone who has been vaccinated.
I used 2 sentences to post this, yours sounds better.  😷

I just got my second shot of the Pfizer Tuesday, no side affects from it at all.  🤞

Early data coming out of Israel from the 2 dose BioNTech vaccine is suggesting it is effective in curbing transmission.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2166848/first-signs-pfizer-vaccine-does-stop-spreading-covid/

Early data coming out of Israel from the 2 dose BioNTech vaccine is suggesting it is effective in curbing transmission.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2166848/first-signs-pfizer-vaccine-does-stop-spreading-covid/
Good to hear.  It always struck me as one of those abundance of caution statements, just because we didn't know if it curbs the spread as well.  If this is proven to be the case it's something that needs to be highlighted as another important reason to get the vaccine

jobarules said:
Desert_Power said:
Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

NEW: Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no #coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN. "There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said
So Biden people are saying Trump people didn't have a plan. Do you think everything they say is factual or is there some possibility this is just politics?
It's probably the most "water is wet" statement one could make.  Isn't it rather obvious that there was no real plan in place?  We were told there'd be 21 million shots in arms by the end of the year.  

parasaurolophus said:
In my experience not really. I would bet most transmission occurs in situations where mask compliance has a small delta among areas and is pretty much universally low. 

In other words people hosting dinner parties in Maryland and people hosting dinner parties in WI probably dont behave much different. 

People belly up at the bar probably arent much different. Employees hanging out in the lunchroom, etc. 
So what is driving the difference in spread by region if it isn't mask compliance?  Social distancing compliance?  Bar/restaurant shutdowns?  Frequency / duration / number of guests at dinner parties?  Better ventilation in certain areas? 

So what is driving the difference in spread by region if it isn't mask compliance?  Social distancing compliance?  Bar/restaurant shutdowns?  Frequency / duration / number of guests at dinner parties?  Better ventilation in certain areas? 
I suspect all of those plus population density.

I suspect all of those plus population density.
Just going to say that.  Here Pulaski county (Little Rock), Washington county (Springdale/Fayetteville) and Benton county (Rogers/Bentonville) are almost always in the top of the daily case counts here in Arkansas and are the most densely populated so makes sense.

Redwes25 said:

I believe that was the initial thought but there was a story in the NYT last week that that stated what I wrote.  That the the threat of getting the vaccine then spreading it was extremely remote. 

I'm not an expert, just relaying what I read. 

According to the CDC's own test, asymptomatic people do need to wear face masks to protect against respiratory viruses.

After we get past the pandemic, the CDC and FDA should both be burned to the ground and we should salt the earth where they once stood so nothing can grow there again.  Time to start over from scratch.  

I believe that was the initial thought but there was a story in the NYT last week that that stated what I wrote.  That the the threat of getting the vaccine then spreading it was extremely remote. 

I'm not an expert, just relaying what I read. 
Ok, but CDC is still recommending that people wear masks to stop spread even if you have been vaccinated and not to keep up mask compliance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

I don't have the guts to click on the "Biden Response to the Virus" thread....I can only imagine what's going on in there based on the names I see as the "last poster" on the front page refreshes :lol:  

Just going to say that.  Here Pulaski county (Little Rock), Washington county (Springdale/Fayetteville) and Benton county (Rogers/Bentonville) are almost always in the top of the daily case counts here in Arkansas and are the most densely populated so makes sense.
That's in raw case counts, not per 100k, which would be a better metric IMO.

What is your proposal for 1) an approval body for drugs (maybe separate from food?) and 2) a national department of public health?
This is a good point.  Lumping these together makes about as much sense as Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.  Admittedly, I don't know how lumped in either of these groups are under the covers.  Maybe the reporting structure immediately branches to "head of food safety" and "drug safety" and the two never really meet.

parasaurolophus said:
You are from canada right? 
Yes.  There are a few wingnuts here, unfortunately more so in my province than others, that are anti-mask.  But it is truly a fringe subset.  And masks have been mandatory here indoors since the summer. And everyone wears one.  

Yes.  There are a few wingnuts here, unfortunately more so in my province than others, that are anti-mask.  But it is truly a fringe subset.  And masks have been mandatory here indoors since the summer. And everyone wears one.  
here in BC mask were not mandatory to mid nov 
we have a small subset of anti maskers out here as well 
i thought the bc government was doing good except for 2 decisions in September   : calling the election and not making mask mandatory sooner 
we have been consistently weak on contract tracing and testing throughout this as well 
 our vaccine rollout has been pretty bad 
really disappointed by the lack of planning , they waited  on how and who after the the vaccines got approved . this should have been figured out while we were waiting for approvals 

Soooooo.....

Is this the next conspiracy or set of "claims" being levied?  This popped up in my google news feed in the "fact check" section I have set up.  Somehow the WHO is part of a grand conspiracy of some sort?  Close?

Sounds like they are trying to procure more doses of the vaccine to have for summer....Another 200 million doses is another 100 million people.  Gottlieb said that based on his observations, approx 150M will "want" to be vaccinated.  So where does that leave us?  Seems like by summer, all those who want to have it will be able to get it?  Or am I missing something?

Sounds like they are trying to procure more doses of the vaccine to have for summer....Another 200 million doses is another 100 million people.  Gottlieb said that based on his observations, approx 150M will "want" to be vaccinated.  So where does that leave us?  Seems like by summer, all those who want to have it will be able to get it?  Or am I missing something?

I was under the impression that we'll likely have enough for everyone, not just the 150M who are likely to want it by that point.  Maybe that assumes J&J and AstraZeneca are approved.  Sadly 150M leaves us short of herd immunity, really need more buy in

I was under the impression that we'll likely have enough for everyone, not just the 150M who are likely to want it by that point.  Maybe that assumes J&J and AstraZeneca are approved.  Sadly 150M leaves us short of herd immunity, really need more buy in
Well, his comments were pretty specific....he fully expects this to be a mandated vaccine like others we have today, so even though people don't "want" to take it, this country and others as well as companies and schools will require it to be employees, students, visitors etc.  In other words, they may not "want" it but they'll have to get it to do things they want to do or to work or to go to school.

Sadly 150M leaves us short of herd immunity, really need more buy in
Don't forget that kids under 18 are still not approved for the vaccines. 150M is probably something like 70-75% of American adults (have to go check to be sure**).

And if/when the J&J vaccine gets approved -- that's a one-dose-and-you're-done vaccine.

** EDIT: 150M is probably more like 65-70% of American adults going by the 2010 census figures and extrapolating to a current US population estimate of 331M.

Don't forget that kids under 18 are still not approved for the vaccines. 150M is probably something like 70-75% of American adults (have to go check to be sure**).

And if/when the J&J vaccine gets approved -- that's a one-dose-and-you're-done vaccine.

** EDIT: 150M is probably more like 65-70% of American adults going by the 2010 census figures and extrapolating to a current US population estimate of 331M.
16 and over approved for one of them. 

150 million vaccinated + those with natural immunity who aren’t vaccinated will probably be pretty close to the herd immunity threshold by late spring/early summer IMO.

Crazy that this didn't happen six months ago.  Again, this is the kind of thing you get with basic competence in government.
Yup.  I see the 7-day moving average of new cases in the U.S. (per Covid worldometers) has dropped about 35% over these past two weeks.  The heightened attention and focus on the virus - and benefits of the vaccinations? -   would seem to be contributing factors.  Amazing what happens when we fight this virus instead of trying to ignore it.

Yup.  I see the 7-day moving average of new cases in the U.S. (per Covid worldometers) has dropped about 35% over these past two weeks.  The heightened attention and focus on the virus - and benefits of the vaccinations? -   would seem to be contributing factors.  Amazing what happens when we fight this virus instead of trying to ignore it.
I thought Biden needed at least a week before taking any blame for anything.  We handing out credit though?  Wouldn't this go hand in hand with the WHO changing what they designate as Covid and what they don't?

I thought Biden needed at least a week before taking any blame for anything.  We handing out credit though?  Wouldn't this go hand in hand with the WHO changing what they designate as Covid and what they don't?
Hence the "seem to be."  Maybe it is a WHO designation ...dunno.  Just pleased to see, and hopeful of, the trend.

Or everybody else is now getting on the midwest trendline. 

Crazy that this didn't happen six months ago.  Again, this is the kind of thing you get with basic competence in government.
Yes, it's a good sign of the thinking from the feds in charge of this now.

But there's a long way to go on competent governance.  I got into it last night with my wife about why the state of MD didn't create a central clearinghouse for MD residents to register to receive a vaccine.  As it stands, each individual must a) determine if they meet the current vaccination tier criteria, b) identify entities that are giving a vaccine, c) register at each of those entities one by one.  There's a ton of leg-work that each individual must do to get a vax if their employer (or residence facility) doesn't give it to them.  Plus, it is a huge equity issue in that those that have access and skills necessary to navigate multiple systems.

We knew vaccines were coming 6+ months ago.  We knew the approximate earliest timing and most likely time frame they would be rolled out.  We knew the production ramp for those vaccines.  We knew the likely order of tiers for vaccination.  Maybe we didn't know the exact allocation for each state, but it wasn't that hard to extrapolate out from demographic data.

So, why didn't the state of MD put forth the effort to centralize this vaccination effort?  There should have been a big push to get everyone in Tier 1 registered prior to a vaccine being available.  But that didn't happen.

My wife said that state and local public health officials were overwhelmed with dealing with the actual epidemic and didn't have anyone to focus on these areas.  I say it was a dereliction of duty not to reassign people from other areas in the state bureaucracy or hire outside people or get people seconded from private industry to assist.  This was a PANDEMIC that is killing thousands and crushing businesses.  We should have done a lot better.

Makes me really angry.

The state of New York actually had a vaccine rollout program in place. Had received big grants for it even.

They scrapped it. 

That chapter probably got left out of the book.

I'd prefer a lottery over a, "whoever can navigate the system best," approach.
Yeah, seems like a dumb approach.

All that's needed is a decent contact strategy. I assume just about everyone who is in the most need of the vaccine has been to a doctor in the last few years. So, put money in the COVID relief bill to go to doctors offices to proactively reach out to their patients to schedule an appointment. I assume that's a better solution than consolidating names and phone numbers from all the doctors office and handling the contact centrally.

I am not familiar with this.  (no snark) Can you give some relevant links?
County officials who have for years been planning for a mass vaccination said they are seeing that training and preparation — much of it funded by millions of dollars in federal grants — pushed aside as the administration of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has retained control of the state's coronavirus vaccination program, including having hospitals rather than local health departments administer the doses.

Interviews with multiple county officials over the past week confirm that many are unclear why the governor's administration has not activated the county-by-county system, a plan that included recent practice sessions in which members of the public received regular flu vaccines at drive-thru sites.

I'd prefer a lottery over a, "whoever can navigate the system best," approach.
Yeah, to be clear, I'm not advocating for a lottery system.  We can do better than that.  But a lottery would be preferable to some overly-complicated tier-based system that slows down vaccine distribution, and it does have the virtue of being undeniably fair in the sense that nobody can easily do any line-cutting.  (I'm not personally worried about line-cutting because every shot in every arm benefits me even if the shot isn't going in my arm, but I get that most people don't see it that way).

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not advocating for a lottery system.  We can do better than that.  But a lottery would be preferable to some overly-complicated tier-based system that slows down vaccine distribution, and it does have the virtue of being undeniably fair in the sense that nobody can easily do any line-cutting.  (I'm not personally worried about line-cutting because every shot in every arm benefits me even if the shot isn't going in my arm, but I get that most people don't see it that way).
Shots in arms, shots in arms. Should have been the only focus. This dumb equity tangent is going to lead to more deaths, even in the groups that they are pretending to care about. 

Shots in arms, shots in arms. Should have been the only focus. This dumb equity tangent is going to lead to more deaths, even in the groups that they are pretending to care about. 
I don't totally disagree with the sentiment, but I don't think the epidemic modeling would bear out your conclusion if taken to the extreme.

Assume equal infection prevalence across all groups.
Vaccines are rolled out in equal amounts each day such that it takes 6 months to distribute all doses to all people.
Group A is 75% of the population and gets 100% of the vaccine
Group B is 25% of the population and gets 0% of the vaccine

Which group has more adverse health outcomes after 6 months?  Even this simple model is relatively complex, but the results should be pretty obvious.

Also, by baking in inequity and actively showing that the health authorities don't care about equity, those groups that have historically been marginalized by government and society are likely to see lower vaccination compliance in addition to lower access.  That would make these groups even more susceptible to outbreaks within a community.  I think some level of equity discussion is necessary due to human behavior and variable access across groups.  It should not be the be-all-end-all metric however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread