What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
despite California having had the most restrictive lockdowns in the country. 
I'm not sure why things like this keep being repeated.   Talk to anyone who lives in SoCal.  There was very little "locked down" in practice forSoCal for most of the year.  NoCal?  Sure.   SoCal?  Nope.

There is this fiction I see over and over about "governor mandates".  Wisconsin has had different levels of mandates all year -- but my extended family has literally been behaving like there is no pandemic the past 12 months.  They get together with friends and family multiple times per week, they don't wear masks, etc.   They live a normal life.  That's 100s of family members.   The "governor mandates" have only changed the degree to which these folks go into grocery stores with a mask.  My entire extended family has been doing everything possible to live life exactly the same as before COVID, regardless of what the governor says.

I'm not sure why things like this keep being repeated.   Talk to anyone who lives in SoCal.  There was very little "locked down" in practice forSoCal for most of the year.  NoCal?  Sure.   SoCal?  Nope.

There is this fiction I see over and over about "governor mandates".  Wisconsin has had different levels of mandates all year -- but my extended family has literally been behaving like there is no pandemic the past 12 months.  They get together with friends and family multiple times per week, they don't wear masks, etc.   They live a normal life.  That's 100s of family members.   The "governor mandates" have only changed the degree to which these folks go into grocery stores with a mask.  My entire extended family has been doing everything possible to live life exactly the same as before COVID, regardless of what the governor says.
Exactly!  That's what I've been saying all along.    :hifive:

Now you're getting at the real root of the problem and the real reason why Florida did better than California.  The government mandates were effective at only one thing - shutting down businesses and making them suffer unnecessarily.   Florida's economy is much better off without shutting down while maintaining very similar numbers of covid as California.

SoCal where I live was pretty locked down, Alex. We had forced business closings and curfews and would get pulled over while driving at night. I'm not sure what that means to you. What we did have was problems with certain localities (I'm looking at you, Orange County) that refused to enforce the lockdown restrictions in place. Non-enforcement pretty much leads to non-compliance among certain swaths of people. A lot of people died and we're still having problems because of citizen unwillingness to stay at home, as the PSAs were instructing us to. Lots of lives lost this way. The maskless congregations at the behest of Kirk Cameron in L.A. were probably the stupidest example of the defiance of the orders, yet there were the people, maskless and prayer chanting at the heavens, candles alight. But that's a people problem, not a governance one.

SoCal where I live was pretty locked down, Alex. We had forced business closings and curfews and would get pulled over while driving at night. I'm not sure what that means to you. What we did have was problems with certain localities (I'm looking at you, Orange County) that refused to enforce the lockdown restrictions in place. Non-enforcement pretty much leads to non-compliance among certain swaths of people. A lot of people died and we're still having problems because of citizen unwillingness to stay at home, as the PSAs were instructing us to. Lots of lives lost this way. The maskless congregations at the behest of Kirk Cameron in L.A. were probably the stupidest example of the defiance of the orders, yet there were the people, maskless and prayer chanting at the heavens, candles alight. But that's a people problem, not a governance one.
Fair points rock.  I guess you're hitting on my point --- lots of geographies didn't enforce lockdowns.  They just let people live life as normal.   To tony's comments, I don't disagree -- what we did was actually the worst possible.  We didn't fully lock down, but we still tanked the economy.  So we got very little benefit of reducing the virus.....with all the economic pain.

Florida is a strange case and seems more an outlier than anything. In general, the states that didn't enforce any masks or shutdowns have fared worse (with the caveat that NY, NJ, MA, and others that were hit early have the worst death rates)

Fair points rock.  I guess you're hitting on my point --- lots of geographies didn't enforce lockdowns.  They just let people live life as normal.   To tony's comments, I don't disagree -- what we did was actually the worst possible.  We didn't fully lock down, but we still tanked the economy.  So we got very little benefit of reducing the virus.....with all the economic pain.
It was an example of state and local authorities really going awry, if you ask me, and I agree with both you and somewhat with Tony. We got all of the economic pain and less of a benefit because of not fully locking down in practice, but there were some benefits. I'd say that we did stop the spread of what could have been. That's just my lay opinion, though.

To me, all this "goals keep changing!" stuff is small potatoes ... but it looks to me that Jen Psaki (when she said "... one day a week") got caught flat-footed by a question and attempted to wing an answer instead of telling the reporter she's check and get back to them. This kind of stuff doesn't bug me, though -- people screw up, and not every last "i" will ever be dotted in any conceivable plan addressing any conceivable thing.
I have seen very little criticism about goals changing. The criticism I see is when goals are put out there that are achieved already. That is either incompetence or they are hoping nobody notices. 

In this case it wasnt a slip of the tongue or an accident. Those dont take almost a whole week to get corrected. They also floated a phone survey result that made it seem like we were below that metric currently. 

I have seen very little criticism about goals changing. The criticism I see is when goals are put out there that are achieved already. That is either incompetence or they are hoping nobody notices. 

In this case it wasnt a slip of the tongue or an accident. Those dont take almost a whole week to get corrected. They also floated a phone survey result that made it seem like we were below that metric currently. 
Haven’t we been down this path with the covid goal?  And the administration is shattering that one.  I think its logical based on that experience that they are not shooting for the floor.

Haven’t we been down this path with the covid goal?  And the administration is shattering that one.  I think its logical based on that experience that they are not shooting for the floor.
Down the road where people get defensive over minor criticisms? Oh yeah. Every day. 

My prior post shouldnt need defenders.

Biden revises goal upward for back to school numbers. Over 50% back 5 days a week. I think we currently sit around 42% so this is at least now an actual increase. 

tonydead said:
No. 99.99% of the data was pre vaccine.  Some of us have been saying lock downs werent effective, it's not rocket science. 

But let's look at schools. Who has been saying for months that kids should be back in school?  (Hint, rhymes with Bump) Zero chance they let that happen until almost exactly after Bump leaves office. 

Like I said, you cant make this up.  
Some were also saying what we were doing weren't "lockdowns" and they were right when they said that :shrug:  It's fine to say what we did was not effective, and I'd agree all day long.  It's not fine to say "they weren't lockdowns" and turn around and say "the lockdowns weren't effective".  That's a total bull#### argument IMO.  

Florida's economy is much better off without shutting down while maintaining very similar numbers of covid as California.
In Central Florida, businesses are closing at a higher rate today than they were in July/August :shrug:  I don't know what California's economy is, but ours (Central Florida) is #### right now.  The one thing going up is home values, which is a most certainly a bubble waiting to burst again.  If you want good info on our economy in this state look up Hank Fishkind and listen to some of his talks on the subject....very informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some were also saying what we were doing weren't "lockdowns" and they were right when they said that :shrug:  It's fine to say what we did was not effective, and I'd agree all day long.  It's not fine to say "they weren't lockdowns" and turn around and say "the lockdowns weren't effective".  That's a total bull#### argument IMO.  
Ok, but tell that to the government and the press.  I will call them whatever you want.  My original point was that now even MSM is questioning whether the "lockdowns" were effective.  Where was that 3 months ago, 6 months ago?

In Central Florida, businesses are closing at a higher rate today than they were in July/August :shrug:  I don't know what California's economy is, but ours (Central Florida) is #### right now.  The one thing going up is home values, which is a most certainly a bubble waiting to burst again.
Again, tell that to the government and the press.  I'm simply repeating what MSM is saying now.  You must not have gotten the memo yet, check your inbox.  

Ok, but tell that to the government and the press.  I will call them whatever you want.  My original point was that now even MSM is questioning whether the "lockdowns" were effective.  Where was that 3 months ago, 6 months ago?
6 months ago, our numbers were coming down because many were doing the right thing.  Since then a myriad of states have chosen to change approach even though we weren't in a position to do so wisely and now we're saying the state we're in currently is evidence that what we were doing prior to that didn't work?  That's completely illogical.  Why would anyone put any credence in that narrative?  I can't speak to our media....I don't watch it so I have no real idea what the narrative is and I have no interest in talking to our government or our press...they are crap for the most part.  Why anyone listens to them is beyond me :shrug:  

Down the road where people get defensive over minor criticisms? Oh yeah. Every day. 

My prior post shouldnt need defenders.

Biden revises goal upward for back to school numbers. Over 50% back 5 days a week. I think we currently sit around 42% so this is at least now an actual increase. 
Why do you have to twist my response to try and make a point?  If you are not going to respond to what I posted, don’t quote it.

Again, tell that to the government and the press.  I'm simply repeating what MSM is saying now.  You must not have gotten the memo yet, check your inbox.  
Since you are the one giving me their message, I'm telling you.  I don't have direct contact with our media.  I think I might have identified part of the problem here :lol:   If it's coming from our media, I likely won't get the memo.  I have spam folders for a reason.  If it weren't for you, I'd likely not have heard this narrative.  Guess I'm shooting the messenger here...sorry for that, but it is what it is.  Maybe consider not bringing the nonsense to the forefront by giving those weak talking points oxygen?

6 months ago, our numbers were coming down because many were doing the right thing.  Since then a myriad of states have chosen to change approach even though we weren't in a position to do so wisely and now we're saying the state we're in currently is evidence that what we were doing prior to that didn't work?  That's completely illogical.  Why would anyone put any credence in that narrative?  I can't speak to our media....I don't watch it so I have no real idea what the narrative is and I have no interest in talking to our government or our press...they are crap for the most part.  Why anyone listens to them is beyond me :shrug:  
You have a bizarre way of twisting people's words to start arguments that no one is having but you.

Since you are the one giving me their message, I'm telling you.  I don't have direct contact with our media.  I think I might have identified part of the problem here :lol:   If it's coming from our media, I likely won't get the memo.  I have spam folders for a reason.  If it weren't for you, I'd likely not have heard this narrative.  Guess I'm shooting the messenger here...sorry for that, but it is what it is.  Maybe consider not bringing the nonsense to the forefront by giving those weak talking points oxygen?
It's a central theme of this thread.  Maybe not you, but, the vast majority in here supported everything the MSM was feeding them.  Contrary to some of us saying the "lockdowns" aren't working.  And that it's not a risk for children to be in school.  

You have a bizarre way of twisting people's words to start arguments that no one is having but you.
You asked why the media wasn't saying they weren't working months ago....our numbers were coming down then.  What should they have been attributing those decreases to if your belief is it wasn't the "lockdowns"?  That's what I'm struggling to understand in your argument.  It's fine to say they aren't working now....they aren't primarily because most of them have been lifted.  Our state's been "open" since October (If I remember correctly) and it's still a ####show down here, so lifting the few we had didn't help in any meaningful way.  I just don't understand the point you're trying to make and that's likely because I don't understand the media narrative you're attempting to convey.

You asked why the media wasn't saying they weren't working months ago....our numbers were coming down then.  What should they have been attributing those decreases to if your belief is it wasn't the "lockdowns"?  That's what I'm struggling to understand in your argument.  It's fine to say they aren't working now....they aren't primarily because most of them have been lifted.  Our state's been "open" since October (If I remember correctly) and it's still a ####show down here, so lifting the few we had didn't help in any meaningful way.  I just don't understand the point you're trying to make and that's likely because I don't understand the media narrative you're attempting to convey.
No. :lmao:

The claim is that they weren't effective overall, the entire time, in total.   

Go ahead and compare to California since October and report back.  Or in total like NBC did.

Here is the link to the report.  It starts right after the first commercial break, 11:09 in.  Shortly after they discuss schools.

IMO, this is a stark contrast in reporting from what we saw in the months surrounding the election.  These were taboo topics back then.

Here is the link to the report.  It starts right after the first commercial break, 11:09 in.  Shortly after they discuss schools.

IMO, this is a stark contrast in reporting from what we saw in the months surrounding the election.  These were taboo topics back then.
So, here's the good news.  The report made the same point that I was going to which was, the "lockdowns" as you guys call them still rely on people doing the right thing when it comes to their homes, social settings with friends etc.  That's to say the attitude of "not on my watch....you aren't getting sick because I didn't try to make you do the right thing in public places" is a pretty hollow one for me.  It points out that we weren't really impeded in any meaningful way from traveling, gathering in homes, parties, etc.  The problem with all that continues to be a lack of confidence and it's completely dishonest to believe or assert that part of the equation would be any different if things had remained open the entire time.  In my state, the evidence presented my area is that it's still an issue.  In a state where we continue to have 5-10K count days consistently people aren't all that confident in going out.  That's illustrated in the lack of support for business and all the businesses now closing because people aren't coming to their establishments.

We also know that even with the minimal shutdowns we did here, it would have been significantly more people getting sick had nothing at all being done.  So maybe we're talking about reports out where 10-15K are getting sick instead.  I can't fathom a world where confidence would be greater with more death and sickness.  That's just completely illogical.  We have areas here where people don't give a #### and are out and about, but for the most part, things are in a brown out state of being where places aren't close to "normal" and I lay that solely at the feet of a lack of confidence.  Our numbers aren't good and people know that.  We can spend time saying they are less ungood than another state, but that doesn't change what the numbers are here.  

TL'DR:  If you want to make the argument that it's pointless to have "lockdowns" because people do what they want anyway, then I'm in agreement.  Where we seem to diverge is on the importance of confidence.  I think that's the primary focus and driver for this entire thing and have pointed it out a multitude of times.  Apparently there are some who think people would be more confident with worse numbers because nothing was shut down.  I'm open to one attempting to support that argument, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't think it was a laughable premise.

TL'DR:  If you want to make the argument that it's pointless to have "lockdowns" because people do what they want anyway, then I'm in agreement.  
Right, that was never the argument like you tried to make it out to be.

My point is MSM didn't agree with us, at all, around election time.  That was taboo.  Now all of a sudden they look at the data.

Same with kids returning to school.  Trump repeatedly said it, therefore no way kids were returning to school.  Now Biden says it, guess what?  MSM starts reporting all the negative effects of kids not being in school and kids start going back to school.

Here is Andy Slavitt answering a question about this... I know people are using this as an excuse to dunk on the Biden admin, but honestly I thought his answer of basically saying they don't know was a good one. 

I agree with you though that the media has been drinking kool aid on "Florida bad" for too long.

Right, that was never the argument like you tried to make it out to be.

My point is MSM didn't agree with us, at all, around election time.  That was taboo.  Now all of a sudden they look at the data.

Same with kids returning to school.  Trump repeatedly said it, therefore no way kids were returning to school.  Now Biden says it, guess what?  MSM starts reporting all the negative effects of kids not being in school and kids start going back to school.
and I guess my reply to that is "so"?  :shrug:

I really don't get this obsession with the media from either side honestly.  And to be clear I wasn't TRYING to make anything.  I was TRYING to understand.  I usually do that first before giving an opinion.  And since I pay virtually no attention to our media, I had some questions first.

And FWIW....I think it's incredibly stupid for some kids to go back to school (still).  Ours went back in person at the beginning of this semester (our decision) and it's the worst decision we've made.  One week they are in school, the next week they are out.  It's incredibly disruptive.  I don't think it's wise for kids to go back in areas where schools are struggling to control the virus.  It's just too unstable right now.  I don't know if the media agrees with that or not and I don't really care.  My :2cents: 

Here is Andy Slavitt answering a question about this... I know people are using this as an excuse to dunk on the Biden admin, but honestly I thought his answer of basically saying they don't know was a good one. 

I agree with you though that the media has been drinking kool aid on "Florida bad" for too long.
Watched it thanks.  I don't.  "Very hard to predict" is a copout.  He didn't even address the differences between Florida and California, didn't even answer the question.  I just looked around and saw what was happening with my own two eyes and said 6+ months ago that the "lockdowns" were doing more harm to the economy than any effect on they have on the covid numbers. Now we're asking if they are effective on the covid numbers at all.

I really don't get this obsession with the media from either side honestly.  And to be clear I wasn't TRYING to make anything.  I was TRYING to understand.  I usually do that first before giving an opinion.  And since I pay virtually no attention to our media, I had some questions first.

And FWIW....I think it's incredibly stupid for some kids to go back to school (still).  Ours went back in person at the beginning of this semester (our decision) and it's the worst decision we've made.  One week they are in school, the next week they are out.  It's incredibly disruptive.  I don't think it's wise for kids to go back in areas where schools are struggling to control the virus.  It's just too unstable right now.  I don't know if the media agrees with that or not and I don't really care.  My :2cents: 
So, don't butt in and make up arguments that aren't there if you don't care.  Just keep reading and move on.

The CDC guidelines now disagree with you on the safety of schools reopening, and so does the MSM.  Your anecdotal disruption is another one of your arguments that you're trying to interject that doesn't have much to do with anything. 

So, don't butt in and make up arguments that aren't there if you don't care.  Just keep reading and move on.

The CDC guidelines now disagree with you on the safety of schools reopening, and so does the MSM.  Your anecdotal disruption is another one of your arguments that you're trying to interject that doesn't have much to do with anything. 
:lmao: Ok tough guy

To be fair I "butted in" to point out that some of you were saying "lockdowns don't work" while also saying what we were doing wasn't a "lockdown" which remains a bull#### argument.  THAT I do care about.  You took us down this other rabbit hole.  I'll bow out....need to focus on that obsession that is the media.  Apparently it's serious business :lmao:  

So 511 pages in, I find my way here. I'll be direct so everyone can easily follow and understand. Oh and I live in Florida...

-I don't want to hear that 12% is vaccinated, the important number is % of Seniors vaccinated or folks over 75, 65, 55, etc...next or simultaneously are frontline workers including teachers. Children belong in school, and unfortunately home schooling for most is a disaster especially forced on parents who would prefer to drop them off daily rather than turn their living room into a mini classroom. That whole thing I just described is causing an unbelievable amount of grief on folks and tearing house holds apart right now.

-Millions of people live in their homes 24/7 for the most part and even prior to Covid only came out to feed their faces for lunch or dinner, those folks can continue to live indoors the rest of their lives as they had been doing prior. nothing really changed for some folks as hard as that is to believe. 

"A man who doesn't work shouldn't eat" -The Bible. Kind of hard to live by this very basic self-rule or discipline if you believe in what I just quoted...but how can you be behind that 100% when folks cannot get to work safely right now? What happens? You are forcing people into poverty and also forcing good people to seek a handout even if they don't want to by their usual nature. Let's not pretend it's easy for everyone to work right now, it's hell for a lot of folks out there. 

There needs to be more PSA on either getting your butt down to Publix/WalMart/Target or wherever they are jab'n and stab'n folks with the vaccine. make the process easy for people and if you know someone who is a Senior Citizen, ask them if they want to be vaccinated and help them in any way to get where they need to go. I live in a Condo, we're in our 40s, youngest folks by a lot in our buildings. I've driven several now down to their appointments so they can get vaccinated "My daughter can't come take me until next month" and i say bull#### to that, let's go NOW! 

My plan is to vaccinate everyone around me so I won't have to 😇

To be fair I "butted in" to point out that some of you were saying "lockdowns don't work" while also saying what we were doing wasn't a "lockdown" which remains a bull#### argument.  THAT I do care about.  You took us down this other rabbit hole.  I'll bow out....need to focus on that obsession that is the media.  Apparently it's serious business :lmao:  
Yes, I understand all the fabricated arguments you tried to have when you responded.  Carry on.  

Don’t bring your real life experience in here.  The sQuad runs on conjecture

Is there anywhere in person teachers are not considered essential workers? The point is that the environment is not remotely like it was pre-vaccine and you are acting like it was. Almost like your being disingenuous. Almost.
Kamala interviewed by NBC said, "We want kids back in school."

Sounds familiar.  :oldunsure:

Anyway, she couldnt answer any of the other questions that dealt with teacher vaccination since only 22 states have prioritised teacher vaccination. She bumbled it, must have contradicted Biden or something because the White House released a clarification. Both Biden and Kamala are on the same page, teachers are not required to be vaccinated.  

The full court press in on for getting kids back in school by MSM.  NBC Nightly dedicated an entire segment to it.  Stark contrast to 3 months ago.  

Kamala interviewed by NBC said, "We want kids back in school."

Sounds familiar.  :oldunsure:

Anyway, she couldnt answer any of the other questions that dealt with teacher vaccination since only 22 states have prioritised teacher vaccination. She bumbled it, must have contradicted Biden or something because the White House released a clarification. Both Biden and Kamala are on the same page, teachers are not required to be vaccinated.  
The problem solution could not be more obvious. It's perplexing to me that only 22 states have given them priority. I think it would behoove this administration to be more direct about this issue and not dance around it like they are in hopes the states change their mind on their own.

It's always amusing that the ones that seem to ##### about MSM the most around here are the ones that also consume it the most.  

Hmm... what could be different. 😂 

Link

Harris said fewer than half the states are prioritizing teachers right now to receive the vaccine.

Guthrie noted that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has put out guidance saying that teachers do not have to be vaccinated to go back to school.

Asked again if it’s safe for teachers to return to the classroom without being vaccinated, Harris said that states have to decide whether they can institute safe measures, such as social distancing. She emphasized that the key to ensuring that those measures are in place is Congress passing another Covid-19 relief package.

It's always amusing that the ones that seem to ##### about MSM the most around here are the ones that also consume it the most.  
I watch a half hour of NBC and a half hour of PBS each night. And about 15 minutes of right wing on the radio in the car on the way home. Its important to understand all sides. Zero social media. Curious where you get your news.  

The problem solution could not be more obvious. It's perplexing to me that only 22 states have given them priority. I think it would behoove this administration to be more direct about this issue and not dance around it like they are in hopes the states change their mind on their own.
I just linked the interview, you should watch. I'm not sure if she was dancing around or just genuinely didnt know.  

Teachers and staff should be vaccinated before the kids are back in the building.  Build confidence in the community that the people that take care of the community (health care workers, police, fire, teachers) get priority. 

Teachers and staff should be vaccinated before the kids are back in the building.  Build confidence in the community that the people that take care of the community (health care workers, police, fire, teachers) get priority. 
I dont disagree that they should be labeled essential.  In my state healthcare and first responders are prioritized first. That doesnt include teachers though and there are a crap ton of categories in the essential bucket.  I'm not sure if grocery store workers or teachers should be given priority, tough call.   We arent in a phase that vaccinates essential workers yet, still heath care and over 65. 

I just linked the interview, you should watch. I'm not sure if she was dancing around or just genuinely didnt know.  
I watched this morning - like you, I absorb a little of all different forms of media. I think it's important to use social's, but it's like threading a needle and I get why others don't. My first cup of coffee with today on is my morning routine - Savannah's a great interviewer. Then I orchestrate the kids off to school, work for an hour or so, then watch Fox for a bit during the 10 o clock hour.

I dont disagree that they should be labeled essential.  In my state healthcare and first responders are prioritized first. That doesnt include teachers though and there are a crap ton of categories in the essential bucket.  I'm not sure if grocery store workers or teachers should be given priority, tough call.   We arent in a phase that vaccinates essential workers yet, still heath care and over 65. 
IMO essential state workers should get priority over non-state workers. Obviously health care and those in constant contact with COVID+ persons are most critical, followed by 75+, followed by essential government workers (you know the ones that have to go to a location to do their job, not the managers). After that essential private workers that help keep the lights on and the food on the shelves. 

IMO essential state workers should get priority over non-state workers. Obviously health care and those in constant contact with COVID+ persons are most critical, followed by 75+, followed by essential government workers (you know the ones that have to go to a location to do their job, not the managers). After that essential private workers that help keep the lights on and the food on the shelves. 
Cant argue with that. But it isnt going to distinguish between managers if they distinguish between essential at all. Next phase for us is essential over 50 years. That includes me, even though I'm not really essential imo, so I will be in line next to older teachers while younger teachers wait. 

Hopeful the administration and those in charge recover quickly after these storms that are disrupting vaccinations in several locations.  Both administering them and distributing/shipping areas (like Memphis)

Hopeful the administration and those in charge recover quickly after these storms that are disrupting vaccinations in several locations.  Both administering them and distributing/shipping areas (like Memphis)
Shouldn’t be that difficult to recover. I don’t think production has been affected, it will just take a few days of catch-up at the vaccination sites. We’ve got a shipment delayed by 3 or 4 days now but luckily we still have some surplus but that won’t be true in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread